Contest Of Marvels (Season 3) - Thread 2

Bracket 4

Match 2:

Korvus (AHURAMAZDA) link

korvus.jpg

vs.

Methinks (JEWISHHOBBIT)

(No Information At This Time)

Korvus is a pheonix wielding swordsman. He has access to the pheonix force and has sued it to piower ships and win battles.

He fought against Rachel and he is doing well against her.

Now prep time will nt serve much purpose to either but Korvus will recognize a tech suit when he sees the photo.

He will use the blade telekinetically to start taking off the suit peice by peice.

Korvus has his shields to protect him and his use of the pheonix force which he can use to dramatic effect. He will eventualy overpower Methinks.

Winner - Korvus

Methinks vs Korvus- Rebuttal & Conclusion

Okay, these are two little knowns so here’s some details on their powers:

Korvus

Methinks

Prep-time won’t do much for either contestant and neither will really get much from each other’s names or picture.

Come the location, however, BIG advantage for Methinks. Why? Because he has a solid control of water in large quantities… and they’re on an island!

So here’s the strategy. He’ll find out he’s on an island and the wheels will start turning. I see the battle beginning on ground and entering the sky as the two fight above location. His force fields should be able to hold back any blast Korvus attempts. Fortunately, however, Korvus is a bit more of an up close and personal type of fighter. He is a sword-guy after all. So when the battle reaches that point Methinks will keep him occupied before grabbing him with an arm of the ocean water and using it to thrust him through the halls of the prison into the lower regions as far as he is able. Then he’ll just control the water and have it poor into every entrance, pounding Korvus, keeping him inside, and drowning him.

That should do it but IF it doesn’t and it comes down to it… Methinks can create another Fission Explosion (but since its an unoccupied island he shouldn’t worry about the level of destruction). He can lift a cube of water like before and then BOOM!!! If Death’s Head was killed by it (he got better because he was already dead) then Korvus won’t survive at all!

I am not going to really debate this much because it really comes down to something very simple. Either Korvus can penetrate Methinks shields using the Pheonix force or affect the suit using the sword's telekinetics in which case Methinks loses or he cannot and he loses.

Given the great power of the pheonix force and Korvus' ability to partake in it using his sword, it is probably that Methinks will be toast.

Winner - Korvus

OPENING ARGUMENT: DARKDEVIL VS. DUSK

Advantages for Darkdevil are multitude here:
- He can do everything Dusk can and with more experience.
- He'd know about Dusk and what she can do, with her being tied to the Spider-family and with Darkdevil being from ten years into the future.
- He's smarter than her as well.

All in all, even dead, Dusk's just a little girl.

WINNER=DARKDEVIL

Opening Debate: Synch vs. Georgeous George

Interesting match. Here are the bios:

Synch:

*Synch's mutant power equips him with a bio-energetic aura that allows him to duplicate the effect of the powers of any superpowered being in his vicinity and sometimes the power itself, essentially becoming in "synch" with that person (or more specifically, his or her bio-energetic aura).

Georgeous George:

*George has an elastic, tar-like body that can stretch and puddle. His power makes him exceptionally resistant to injury, as he survived Strong Guy breaking through his hardened form, and was also able to reconfigure himself after being blown apart by Havok.

From what I understand, it doesn't seem as if Synch is coming into this match with any particular power set. So, his ability will be to duplicate Georgeous George's powers that will be gained when he's within an aura's distance of his opponent. Now, it's said that Synch can gain a greater mastery of someone's powers; which, I'm not sure how long that would take to accomplish. Most likely, Georgeous George would try the following tactic:

"He is able to do many things with his tar-like body, and he once attempted to choke Strong Guy by entering his lungs."

Now, can Synch gain Georgeous George's powers before he can use them, himself? I can't tell you. BUT, I can say that I truly believe that if he gained George's powers, the tar vs. tar wouldn't show any results.

Winner = Georgeous George

Korvus is a pheonix wielding swordsman. He has access to the pheonix force and has sued it to piower ships and win battles.

He fought against Rachel and he is doing well against her.

Now prep time will nt serve much purpose to either but Korvus will recognize a tech suit when he sees the photo.

He will use the blade telekinetically to start taking off the suit peice by peice.

Korvus has his shields to protect him and his use of the pheonix force which he can use to dramatic effect. He will eventualy overpower Methinks.

and...

I am not going to really debate this much because it really comes down to something very simple. Either Korvus can penetrate Methinks shields using the Pheonix force or affect the suit using the sword's telekinetics in which case Methinks loses or he cannot and he loses.

Given the great power of the pheonix force and Korvus' ability to partake in it using his sword, it is probably that Methinks will be toast.

One thing to remember, Korvus' sword only contains but a fraction of the Phoenix force. Merely an itsy-bitsy echo of it. It really isn't as impressive as it sounds.

However, to go beyond that. If you look at that bio up there of Methinks, you'll see an image of him without the suit on. That is him after Death's Head broke his mechanical suit off of him, but you know what... that great Fussion Explosion that he did... that was AFTER his suit was removed. Even without all that tech, he still had the expertise with his mechanical skin to pull off his most powerful feat! (and he did other things too).

So even if Korvus was able to somehow break through Methinks' shields and tear his suit off of him, which I assume would take time and Methinks would see it coming, Methinks can still pull of the huge explosion sure to kill Korvus in the process.

And that's even IF Korvus can get an oppertunity to try and break Methinks' armor between being dragged and drowned by the ocean around the island.

Winner - Methinks

and...
One thing to remember, Korvus' sword only contains but a fraction of the Phoenix force. Merely an itsy-bitsy echo of it. It really isn't as impressive as it sounds.

However, to go beyond that. If you look at that bio up there of Methinks, you'll see an image of him without the suit on. That is him after Death's Head broke his mechanical suit off of him, but you know what... that great Fussion Explosion that he did... that was AFTER his suit was removed. Even without all that tech, he still had the expertise with his mechanical skin to pull off his most powerful feat! (and he did other things too).

So even if Korvus was able to somehow break through Methinks' shields and tear his suit off of him, which I assume would take time and Methinks would see it coming, Methinks can still pull of the huge explosion sure to kill Korvus in the process.

And that's even IF Korvus can get an oppertunity to try and break Methinks' armor between being dragged and drowned by the ocean around the island.

Korvus' powers were enough tom match up against Rachel Summers so he is no lightweight. Of course, he does not have the full pheonix force but still a small percentage of it remains a tremendous amount of power.

Methink's shields can be penetrated and in this scenario they will be. Once that is done the fight can be very fast indeed with Korvus quickly taking down Methinks. Methinks never uses his bomb scenario immediately and there is no proof that it would hurt Korvuswho has his sword to protect him.

Winner - Korvus

Korvus' powers were enough tom match up against Rachel Summers so he is no lightweight. Of course, he does not have the full pheonix force but still a small percentage of it remains a tremendous amount of power.

Honestly, Rachel's been a bit of a lightweight for years, at least since she came back from the future. Heck, Emma put her on her butt not all that long ago. The fact that Korvus could stand up to her isn't that big of a deal really.

Methink's shields can be penetrated and in this scenario they will be. Once that is done the fight can be very fast indeed with Korvus quickly taking down Methinks. Methinks never uses his bomb scenario immediately and there is no proof that it would hurt Korvus who has his sword to protect him.

Of course there's no proof, there's never been a meeting between the two. It's all in the debate. But the fact that it 100% killed Death's Head II, who is a MUCH more durable than Korvus, says a lot.

And as you said, once Korvus penetrates the shield it will be done, but that's only IF he gets by the shield... and Methinks isn't going to just let him hack away with his blade or blasts or whatever. He's going to put Korvus on his behind long before that ever happens.

You've yet to show anything Korvus can do to prevent the water of the island from dragging him down into the ocean, or into the halls of the prison and drowning him there. If he can't block that then he has no chance of winning anything. You debating that Korvus can survive Methinks' last resort attack isnt' much if he can't survive the first one.

Winner - Methinks

Honestly, Rachel's been a bit of a lightweight for years, at least since she came back from the future. Heck, Emma put her on her butt not all that long ago. The fact that Korvus could stand up to her isn't that big of a deal really.

Rachel is still quite powerful per her performance during the War of Kings.

Of course there's no proof, there's never been a meeting between the two. It's all in the debate. But the fact that it 100% killed Death's Head II, who is a MUCH more durable than Korvus, says a lot.

And as you said, once Korvus penetrates the shield it will be done, but that's only IF he gets by the shield... and Methinks isn't going to just let him hack away with his blade or blasts or whatever. He's going to put Korvus on his behind long before that ever happens.

You've yet to show anything Korvus can do to prevent the water of the island from dragging him down into the ocean, or into the halls of the prison and drowning him there. If he can't block that then he has no chance of winning anything. You debating that Korvus can survive Methinks' last resort attack isnt' much if he can't survive the first one.

There is no proof for either of us. I am putting forward that Korvus' mastery of the sword which gives him partial access to the all powerful pheonix force is enough given that enables him to gain telekinesis and shields and such. He can block water and Methinks will also be heavily distracted by the attacks on him and therefore his own attacks are likely to be less effective.

This is a battle very hard to debate because it all depends on the degree of power of each. I think Korvus' power is greater per his performance during the War of Kings and before that whereas you are stating based on his battle with Death Head II which is totally unrelated given death's head powerset is very different to Korvus'. there was no telekinetics to worry about with Death Head who at least had a very good showing.

Winner - Korvus

There is no proof for either of us. I am putting forward that Korvus' mastery of the sword which gives him partial access to the all powerful pheonix force is enough given that enables him to gain telekinesis and shields and such. He can block water and Methinks will also be heavily distracted by the attacks on him and therefore his own attacks are likely to be less effective.

The only thing here that I think could help him against the Water attack is the telekinesis... but here's the problem, I've looked through 5 bios and only one of them makes any mention of telekinesis:

The sword energy has charged a hyperspace jump engine for hours, and also can emit jets of blue flames to stun opponents as well repel energy attacks and create telekinetic shields.

That's it. There's no mention of his using telekinesis beyond just shields so I don't see that doing anything for him against water. He can still be sunk and forced to remain beneath water. The water may not penetrate the shield but Methinks can use the water to keep him pinned and eventually he'll run out of air. That will kill him, making him lose, or just him remainding pinned would cause a win by his being immoble.

So Korvus has no powers that can prevent the water attack.

This is a battle very hard to debate because it all depends on the degree of power of each. I think Korvus' power is greater per his performance during the War of Kings and before that whereas you are stating based on his battle with Death Head II which is totally unrelated given death's head powerset is very different to Korvus'. there was no telekinetics to worry about with Death Head who at least had a very good showing.

War of Kings is out of bounds due to its taking place after December so voters need to disregard that. And as I stated before, I don't see any evidence in the bios that he has telekinesis at all (outside of a shield), and I don't specifically remember him using it in the comics either.

So, as far as I'm concerned, there's still nothing in Korvus' appearances that will show him escaping Methinks' strategy.

Winner - Methinks

Sync vs Gorgeous George

This is literally a case of "Whatever you can do, I can do better."

That's Sync's mutant power in a nutshell. He can sync up and copy George's ability to ooze and puddle and lash out. But he can do it better. Because he doesn't just copy powers, he fully understands how to use them. Often better than the person he copies from, using their powers in ways they haven't discovered.

So George, in essence, is going to be outclassed and defeated by his own abilities. Actually, by a better version of his own abilities. Now, with these tar-like powers, this could be a long, drawn out standoff. But the key is Sync's ability to use George's power in ways not even George has considered. Which means he'll have no defense against it. And since he won't know who Sync is, or about his power, he won't be able to prepare some kind of defense ahead of time.

Sync wins

Sync vs Gorgeous George

This is literally a case of "Whatever you can do, I can do better."

That's Sync's mutant power in a nutshell. He can sync up and copy George's ability to ooze and puddle and lash out. But he can do it better. Because he doesn't just copy powers, he fully understands how to use them. Often better than the person he copies from, using their powers in ways they haven't discovered.

So George, in essence, is going to be outclassed and defeated by his own abilities. Actually, by a better version of his own abilities. Now, with these tar-like powers, this could be a long, drawn out standoff. But the key is Sync's ability to use George's power in ways not even George has considered. Which means he'll have no defense against it. And since he won't know who Sync is, or about his power, he won't be able to prepare some kind of defense ahead of time.

Sync wins

My question would be how does Synch beat someone with their own powers? There are some mutants, like Iceman, who we know have been told doesn't utilize their powers to their fullest extent. But, how do you know that Synch will know how to use these powers even better than the original person? If this is true, then Synch is so powerful that he can ideally beat pretty much every single character in this match...including if Thanos was in this contest.

Simply put, Synch will not know who his opponent is. He doesn't have access to Xavier's files. Synch also won't be knowing who he is facing. And, before he gains knowledge of his opponent, he'll already have infested his body. (As Synch won't know his opponent, he can look like any kind of ooze or goo that's in the The Raft. Synch won't know what to be looking for.)

If Synch can do better, again I ask how, as Georgeous George's powers make him unbeatable by force, as Strong Guy's punch even didn't kill him.

My question would be how does Synch beat someone with their own powers? There are some mutants, like Iceman, who we know have been told doesn't utilize their powers to their fullest extent. But, how do you know that Synch will know how to use these powers even better than the original person? If this is true, then Synch is so powerful that he can ideally beat pretty much every single character in this match...including if Thanos was in this contest.

Simply put, Synch will not know who his opponent is. He doesn't have access to Xavier's files. Synch also won't be knowing who he is facing. And, before he gains knowledge of his opponent, he'll already have infested his body. (As Synch won't know his opponent, he can look like any kind of ooze or goo that's in the The Raft. Synch won't know what to be looking for.)

If Synch can do better, again I ask how, as Georgeous George's powers make him unbeatable by force, as Strong Guy's punch even didn't kill him.

From what I can find, it's inherent in Sync's power. Once he copies someone, he knows all about their abilities and how to use them (sort of like how Forge can build anything he needs without actually having to understanding the principles behind the device).

And, to rebut your opening argument about not being able to copy powers at a distance, Sync can still partially copy abilities when the person isn't near. So a George gets closer, Sync's will copy more of his powers until he's copied the full set (and since he can track George, he'll know when he's coming).

That leaves the last question. How can Sync actually defeat George since George's power makes him nearly unkillable? Well, the question works both ways. How can George beat someone with his own power, but better? Maybe Sync envelops George, trapping him and getting the win that way. Or enveloping George and compressing him down until he's solid (or knocked out, or whatever). Or get inside George and rip him apart.

I don't know if any of those are possible. But the point is, when the opponents are all but even, the one with an advantage, and advantage, will probably be the winner. And in this case, with a better powerset than his opponent, that will be Sync.

Sync wins

The only thing here that I think could help him against the Water attack is the telekinesis... but here's the problem, I've looked through 5 bios and only one of them makes any mention of telekinesis:

That's it. There's no mention of his using telekinesis beyond just shields so I don't see that doing anything for him against water. He can still be sunk and forced to remain beneath water. The water may not penetrate the shield but Methinks can use the water to keep him pinned and eventually he'll run out of air. That will kill him, making him lose, or just him remainding pinned would cause a win by his being immoble.

So Korvus has no powers that can prevent the water attack.

his is where we differ in opinion because if he has the ability to create telekinetic shields and to help a spaceship moves then he has telekinetic powers and those powers can protect him from water. Korvus could at worst hold himself in place while the water hits his shields and no where do you indicate how Methinks hopes to defend himself against Korvus as his attacks can penetrate Methinks' shield.

War of Kings is out of bounds due to its taking place after December so voters need to disregard that. And as I stated before, I don't see any evidence in the bios that he has telekinesis at all (outside of a shield), and I don't specifically remember him using it in the comics either.

So, as far as I'm concerned, there's still nothing in Korvus' appearances that will show him escaping Methinks' strategy.

He recieved no power up during War of Kings and the way I am using it is to gage his actual power levels. I realise the comic is itslef out of bounds with regard the story line but given the feats located in there are from a character that has no recieved no power up seems to be a logical reference given the rarity of the character an his prominence in the series.

Given his recent feats which shows him with quite a bit of power (having had no power ups) it seems to me that he would win this but it is up to voters to decide and at this stage I really have nothing to add as this is just a discussion of which has the power to beat the other and neither one of us has an accurate reference that can prove it beyond the shadow of a doubt. It is all a question of probabilities.

Winner - Korvus

his is where we differ in opinion because if he has the ability to create telekinetic shields and to help a spaceship moves then he has telekinetic powers and those powers can protect him from water. Korvus could at worst hold himself in place while the water hits his shields and no where do you indicate how Methinks hopes to defend himself against Korvus as his attacks can penetrate Methinks' shield.

Methinks is the greatest warrior of Lionhart (where he lives). He knows how to fight and how to kill. Death's Head II got through his forcefield and he still ended up killing him with the fusion explosion! Trust me, defending himself isn't a problem.

The power to power a ship doesn't mean that he's telekinetically pushing it. The ship and all its interior doodads were working, which is beyond telekinesis, so it was just the pure energy of the blade. Telekinesis may have helped, but it wasn't pushing it . The shields are just shields.

And the more I think about it, just on a whim here, is that Korvus creates shields... not forcefields. I don't think he creates orbs or domes to float around in. At least, I've not seen it. The sheilds will help resist the water, but it won't stop it.

Not to mention, this isn't a light spring rain hitting him, it's a force! Water can be a damaging, lethal force and when it's hitting you from all sides pushing and prodding and pummeling, eventually Korvus is going to give if he can even stand against it at all. And the fusion explosion should do short work of him as well (reminder again, it Killed Death's Head II)

He recieved no power up during War of Kings and the way I am using it is to gage his actual power levels. I realise the comic is itslef out of bounds with regard the story line but given the feats located in there are from a character that has no recieved no power up seems to be a logical reference given the rarity of the character an his prominence in the series.

Nonetheless, it cannot be referenced. That's been our rule since season 1.

Given his recent feats which shows him with quite a bit of power (having had no power ups) it seems to me that he would win this but it is up to voters to decide and at this stage I really have nothing to add as this is just a discussion of which has the power to beat the other and neither one of us has an accurate reference that can prove it beyond the shadow of a doubt. It is all a question of probabilities.

This is fine. I really have nothing else to add either. They're two completely differant characters and there isn't much more to be said that hasn't already been stated.

Winner - Methinks

From what I can find, it's inherent in Sync's power. Once he copies someone, he knows all about their abilities and how to use them (sort of like how Forge can build anything he needs without actually having to understanding the principles behind the device).

From what I read, Synch had incredible potential to be very powerful; but, he's still very young in his mutant talent (That ability to be very powerful arises from they Wiki hypothesis that with enough time, he could keep the powers he is copying.) Synch is young...and, as I noted, if a voter says Synch can beat some with their own powers and best them, then they would have to agree that he is going to beat everyone in this contest, regardless of who they are. (And, yes, it's the Forge theory, as you noted.)

These characters have never showed the "potential" that is described about them. If they did, then they should be able to take on the most extreme of villians.

That leaves the last question. How can Sync actually defeat George since George's power makes him nearly unkillable? Well, the question works both ways. How can George beat someone with his own power, but better? Maybe Sync envelops George, trapping him and getting the win that way. Or enveloping George and compressing him down until he's solid (or knocked out, or whatever). Or get inside George and rip him apart.

Now, I theorize that George in the first instances of this match will be going inside Synch and taking him out before full access to these powers. I really don't see how Synch gains the powers and in less than a second knows everything about them and how to use them. Everyone has to think and scan what's new about a situation, and I believe this is the same with getting new powers. In that brief time is where George wins the match.

Now, all the ways of beating George really won't work. How does Synch get into George, when he's made of tar? How does one tar-like being envelope another and beat him? These are simply the type of powers that would negate each other. With others, you might have a legitimate battle of powers (like with Invisible Woman or Iceman). With someone of George's abilities, I just don't see that being possible.

I don't know if any of those are possible. But the point is, when the opponents are all but even, the one with an advantage, and advantage, will probably be the winner. And in this case, with a better powerset than his opponent, that will be Sync.

The winner should be the one who has a legitimate chance of winning the match. I've shown that Synch cannot steal George's powers and hope to win this match, because they'd both negate each other out. But, I've also shown that there is a good chance that in the early stages of this contest that George can possible win this quickly, before Synch can scan these powers effectively.

Dusk vs Darkdevil

An interesting match, but considering this is night time and Dusk's ability to manipulate shadow I don't see how Darkdevil could win this match

Dusk - Teleportation, darkforce projection, shadow control, regeneration, clairvoyance.

Darkdevil -Darkdevil has superhuman strength and agility, a similar sense to Spider-Man’s spider-sense, the ability to teleport, the ability to change his appearance from demon to human, and the ability to manifest flaming constructs, such as billy clubs

Prep-Time

It would be debateable on whether or not Darkdevil would know anything on Dusk as she is pretty obscure character in Spidey's history. While Dusk would see that he resembles Daredevil with a more "dark" look.

Match

Now Darkdevil has his similiar "spidey-sense" it won't help him greatly as there will be shadows EVERYWHERE. Even Spider-Man can be caught off guard and hit with his senses. If this match was during the day I would probably conceded but with it being at the raft (which limits his mobility) and it being at nightime, Dusk can eventually wear him down without even making an appearance. Plus with her ability to manipulate DARKforce energy (a power she used to great effectiveness during the battle against Mephisto's horde of demons) this would help her greatly as Darkdevil is still part demon. I don't think there is any worse character for Darkdevil to face than Dusk.

WINNER DUSK

Fitzroy
Methinks
Darkdevil
Synch
Synch can copy a power near. In the issue where he died he copied M, who was nowhere near. So he can feel if someone is near and in Generation X 5 he was able to track other mutants, so finding and preparing I don't think would be a problem. As for how he can win specifically... George always showed some problem with the remaining solid thing, but it goes to reason that he should be able to. I'd think Synch could copy his power, goo a fight a bit, then goop all around George and solidify. Gooy George wouldn't be able to breat the prison and therefor he's immobilized. It's just a random thought and it has flaws I'm sure but it makes sense to me.

He copied Sabretooth's powers with no bloodlust, flew with Chamber's powers, etc. Synch has always been one up on those he copied so it makes sense that he'd find a way to make it work here.

My Votes:

*Georgeous George

*Darkdevil -
Tough match to decide on. I could easily vote for either character.

*Fitzroy

*Methinx -
Now I know why I couldn't find him...his name has been spelled incorrectly this entire time...even by his own owner!!!

Sync

Dusk
The mass of shadows and darkness tipped this fairly even match for me

Trevor Fitzroy

Methinx
Good arguments on both sides, but with so much speculation about the characters and their abilities, I have to go with the one with the more clear, and apparently more powerful set of abilities

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"