Contest Of Marvels (Season 3) - Thread 4

All I can say is this shows that Moondragon's abilities worked no Annihilus. Why did she only do this, and not anything more? Bad writing?? There was more going on than we're given, maybe because Annihilus was dealing with a huge armada and such??? All I can do is present the facts that there is nothing in any bio that states Annihilus cannot be controlled in this way. All I could discover is a) Moondragon was able to know his plans for Galactus, and b) emotional manipulation doesn't work on him, because these creatures are considered emotionless.

There is nothing at all that suggests he could and the evidnce suggests he could not because he was on an all out war with the cosmic universe not one creature could control him telepathically. These include Moondragon who is one of the most powerful telepaths in the 616 universe plus other cosmic beings such as heralds. It is very far fetched that suddenly in this instance he could be affected telepathically.

In addition, it could just be bad writing that had Moondragon hear some of his thoughts as a plot device to advance the story, something maybe she should not have been able to do so the argument works both ways.

Alll the evidence points to that he cannopt be controlled telepathically because not one of the many actors of Annihlation was able to.

With the Mutant X world, we do know that many of the heroes and villians from that world is in this world. As such, Reed Richards would still have done research into the Negative Zone, and I don't find it ballsy at all. I think it's a logical assumption.

But given Annihlus, who never appeared in the series, could have been a hero in this universe and the negative zone could have been the positive zone. The whole thing was re-imagined so any supposition of relevant knowledge I find to be far fetched. Plus as a vilain, why would Reed research into the negative zone given he did it in his extra time while not saving the world in the 616 universe and as a villain maybe he would always be planning how to conquer the world or counter Doom, the hero? It is just very far fetched to assume that in an alternate universe where heroes are villains and villains heroes, Reed, a villain will get useful accurate information on a character that never was even mentionned in the Mutant X series.

Winner = Annihlus

There is nothing at all that suggests he could and the evidnce suggests he could not because he was on an all out war with the cosmic universe not one creature could control him telepathically. These include Moondragon who is one of the most powerful telepaths in the 616 universe plus other cosmic beings such as heralds. It is very far fetched that suddenly in this instance he could be affected telepathically.

Just repeating that there is nothing in his bio that states he cannot be controlled this way, especially with someone as powerful as Goblin Queen. Just because the writer of Annihilation only had Moondragon read his mind ... successfully, I might add ... does not indicate that his powers are such that he cannot be controlled by another. As I noted, there is a lot going on in Annihilation, and those who were trying to rescue Galactus and the Silver Surfer were facing more than just Annihilus.

In addition, it could just be bad writing that had Moondragon hear some of his thoughts as a plot device to advance the story, something maybe she should not have been able to do so the argument works both ways.

This isn't bad writing, because nothing in Annihilus' bio states he is immune to someone who can read or control minds. The bad writing would be more like Claremont, who's character representations of the Exile characters would constantly change, despite evidence to the contrary in their bios.

Well, at this point, we're going back and forth, and I'll leave it all up to the voters. Good debate!

Oh, and

Winner = Goblin Queen

Proctor -
if he is also telekinetic I do not see why he could not take off the helmet which I am always surprised the X-Men never do

Annihlus

Spider Man 2099

The Master

Proctor
Great match. I think W did great, and I expected it since I know he thinks so highly of Proctor (as do I, being that was the only run of Avengers I could get into prior to disassembled). I was 50/50 going into the match but W's debate pulled me to his side.

Master

Annihilus
Great debate, but I remained undecided in the end. Phaed provided proof that telepathy can work but Ahura also was convincing on the reasonings behind why it may not work to the extent that Phaed needs it to. I went back and forth 50/50 on that point until finally deciding to look beyond the telepathy and seeing what else the two have to offer. In this, I think Annihilus pulls off the win, so I went with him.

Spider-Man 2099

Goblin Queen
Damn good match. Almost a toss up and I switched back and forth. So close, I even had Annihilus as my vote. But if Moonstone can affect Annihilus's mind, so can the Queen. Especially since Annihilus wouldn't know who the Queen, or know to prepare for telepathic attack. But that still only gave her the slightest of edges.

Spider-Man 2099

Proctor

The Master
Damn. I think Storm could have done a great job against him too.

The Master
Sage
Magneto
GREAT matchup! W almost had me with his debate but in the end Magneto has gone up against TK's so why should this be any different
Annihilus
Another great matchup but in the end Ahura showed enough to make me believe GK's telepathy won't affect annihilus.

Final Results:

Annihilus defeats Goblin Queen 5-3

Spider-Man 2099 defeats Sage 5-3

Proctor defeats Magneto 5-3

Master defeats Storm 8-0

CoM.jpg

Bracket 7

Match 1:

Hercules (WIEGEABO) link

hercules-1.jpg

vs.

Radioactive Man (HARLEKIN) link

radioactiveman-1.jpg

Match 2:

Abomination (POWDERMAN) link

abomination-1.jpg

vs.

U.S. Agent (JEWISHHOBBIT) link

usagent.jpg

Bracket 8

Match 1:

Titan (JEWISHHOBBIT) link

titan.jpg

vs.

Punisher (HELLSTORMER) link

punisher-1.jpg

Match 2:

Harrier (PHAEDRUS45) link

harrier.jpg

vs.

Pagan (POWDER-MAN) link

pagan-1.jpg

Titan vs. Punisher

We all know Punisher... so now for Titan.

Titan is a soldier of the Imperial Guard. He also comes accross as one of the more ruthless ones in his appearances. He has the ability to grow, similar to Giant Man and the rest, and he can also fly with a device that all non-flying members of the Imperial Guard uses. So basically, he's a flying Giant Man without the scientific mind but with a more warrior instinct and training.

Battle

Titan, as with all members of the Imperial Guard, are quick 'get the job done' type of people. They are all willing to kill and do whatever it takes to win.

The location, I think, helps Titan out because he will see that it is an island and that there is nowhere to run. He will not know the Punisher or what he is capable of and so he will know that he needs to end this quickly. And so, even without seeing the Punisher, he will grow to humungous size (bios say there's no known limit). If he can stand in the water, great, if not he can fly. And then with one swift stomp.... down goes the Raft and everything inside goes crush, splat, dead. Having started on location he'll see that there isn't anyone else there so there's no concern for the loss of innoscent life (not that he would have cared as much anyhow, but just in case it's a doubt in voters minds).

Punisher, as a normal human, has no defense for this and splatting things is perfectly within Titan's character. One crushed prison later and Titan moves on to the next round.

Winner - Titan

U.S. Agent vs Abomination

Yeah, I just got U.S.Agent and I just don't care enough about him to fight this losing battle. I can't think of a way for him to win and have way too many other matches this week to focus on than one I doubt I can win anyway.

Conceded. Congrats Powder... my second conceding to you. Feel free to return the favor any time ;)

Winner - Abomination

614886-punisher_00_super.jpg

Punisher VS. Titan

The combatants wouldn't know eachother, but Frank might be able to gather some info given the name (big and strong). Frank benefits the most from the prep time cause that's how he works. He'll bring along explosives and long range weapons. He'll know that if its someone who's super strong he'll have the advantage of distance. He might also bring something he can use as an effective trip wire. When Titan augments his size Frank can lay down the trip wire around his location and pick him off when he hits the ground. It's just a matter of intelligence and long range attacks and Frank will win this no problem.

Winner=Punisher

614886-punisher_00_super.jpg

Punisher VS. Titan

The combatants wouldn't know eachother, but Frank might be able to gather some info given the name (big and strong). Frank benefits the most from the prep time cause that's how he works. He'll bring along explosives and long range weapons. He'll know that if its someone who's super strong he'll have the advantage of distance. He might also bring something he can use as an effective trip wire. When Titan augments his size Frank can lay down the trip wire around his location and pick him off when he hits the ground. It's just a matter of intelligence and long range attacks and Frank will win this no problem.

I really do think Punisher has a shot here, but the thing with Titan is that he is always huge. He never goes into a battle regular size. So as soon as it begins he'll grow larger than the prison (as he's always been shown as absolutely humungous).

With no obvious target out to fight him, I can see him just crushing the prison with his foot, as per my write up. Punisher can probably get some firepower off but with Titan's size comes superhuman durability so he should be able to hold up fairly well to it, at least long enough to flatten the last of the prison.

Winner - Titan

Rebuttal: Punisher VS. Titan
I really do think Punisher has a shot here, but the thing with Titan is that he is always huge. He never goes into a battle regular size. So as soon as it begins he'll grow larger than the prison (as he's always been shown as absolutely humungous).
Frank will take advantage of this. Because of his larger size it will be harder for him to notice a tiny moving dot. The prison is way too strong for Titan to smash it and even if it was buildings have fallen on top of Frank before.

With no obvious target out to fight him, I can see him just crushing the prison with his foot, as per my write up. Punisher can probably get some firepower off but with Titan's size comes superhuman durability so he should be able to hold up fairly well to it, at least long enough to flatten the last of the prison.
Explosives, trip wires, and armor piercing rounds will take care of Titan. Punisher is always fighting at a disadvantage but he's always tactical, smart, and confident. He won't lose to cosmic fodder.

Winner=Punisher

Opening Debate: Harrier vs. Pagan

Pagan's Bio:

*Pagan had superhuman strength (Class 100) and durability, able to withstand superhumanly strong punches and even magical hexes. He was powered by energies transferred to him by Jonathan Tremont, allowing him to grow in proportion to the amount of energy his form housed.

There are some important factors that need pointing out about Pagan. One, he's described as "mindlessly enraged." Also, as in his bio, you'll notice that his energies are powered by his brother, Jonathan Tremont. Without Jonathan nearby, the voters have to wonder how useful this character is alone in battle.

Harrier's Bio:

*Clendenon is an accomplished soldier, tactitian, and pilot.

*Among his armor's offensive capabilities were blasts of electricity, a titanium net, and "tar pellets" ensnaring projectiles.

*As both Cardinal and Harrier, he used winged body armor which granted him the cabability of jet-powered flight, capablity to travel underwater, and enhanced strength.

Now, Pagan did fight the Avengers a couple times. But, just looking at his picture, Harrier will know that he's not going to get anywhere in a physical battle. Where Harrier does have the advantage is flight and smarts. (For flight, he just has to get out of The Raft to the outside of the island. If he does this, Pagan cannot reach him.) As noted, Pagan is also mindless. If he gets to the wrong location in The Raft, he's screwed. He's been defeated twice by being drained of his power. And, without his brother to back him up, once his power is drained, he's done for.

Winner = Harrier

Rebuttal: Punisher VS. Titan
Frank will take advantage of this. Because of his larger size it will be harder for him to notice a tiny moving dot. The prison is way too strong for Titan to smash it and even if it was buildings have fallen on top of Frank before.

I don't actually plan on Titan seeing Frank at all. He's a soldier of the Shi'ar Empire and they've always been shown to act quickly and get the job done, so I figure the best way is to trash the place. And what makes you think Titan couldn't crush the place? If a wrecking ball can break a wall of a prison then surely Titan's huge size should. As far as I know, Titan's hight limit is unknown but he's always been shown to be absolutely huge. It shouldn't be much for him to step on the prison. Or maybe flying up and doing a cannonball onto the prison, crushing it and Frank with it :)

Explosives, trip wires, and armor piercing rounds will take care of Titan. Punisher is always fighting at a disadvantage but he's always tactical, smart, and confident. He won't lose to cosmic fodder.

The Explosives and trip wires would only work if Titan went in to look for Frank, which due to his powerset, would be stupid. He'd be eliminating any advantage he'd have by doing that and that's not how a soldier would enter a batte, eliminating his chances of winning.

The armor piercing rounds should do some damage but with Titan at the size he'll be it'll just be needle pricks. Nothing that'll stop him before he crushes ol' Frank.

Winner - Titan

OPENING ARGUMENT: RADIOACTIVE MAN VS. HERCULES

I'm keeping this short and sweet since I'm so late. In strength, the Radioactive Man should be able to match Hercules considering he can take on the likes of Thor. Add in all the other fun ways Radioactive Man can apply his powers, he should be able to take down Hercules without too much trouble.

Normally, Herc's powers are enough, but in this match, they're just too limited.

WINNER=RADIOACTIVE MAN

Hercules vs Radioactive Man

Tough matchup. Radioactive Man has a distinct long range attack advantage. But Hercules is a god on par with Thor, and Thor has effectively fought R-Man before. And Hercules has battled Thor to a standstill, and uses his Golden Mace (which is just as durable as Mjolnir).

As for Radioactive Man's blasts, Hercules has been struck by energy attacks before and shrugged them off. It took the energy of the power cosmic to seriously injure Hercules, and Radioactive Man doesn't have that kind of power. And it's not like R-Man can hide, emitting radiation in the hope of making Hercules sick. This fight is taking place on the raft, and it's walls would be protected from radiation (meaning that only direct exposure is possible, and R-Man couldn't hide a floor above Hercules, trying to make him sick).

Radioactive Man can make a forcefield strong enough to deflect Mjolnir. So he can hold off Hercules for at least a while. But Herc has godly stamina, and can keep fighting for who knows how long. Plus, even R-Man needs solid ground to stand on, and a strike to the floor can bring R-Man to his knees, or possibly even bury him under rubble (forcing him to waste energy on his forcefield rather than be crushed).

R-Man seems to have a clear advantage, but one must use more than radiation if one wishes to stop a god.

Hercules wins

Pagan vs Harrier

Harrier
Abilities
Clendenon is an accomplished soldier, tactitian, and pilot.

Weapons
Among his armor's offensive capabilities were blasts of electricity, a titanium net, and "tar pellets" ensnaring projectiles.

Paraphernalia
As both Cardinal and Harrier, he used winged body armor which granted him the cabability of jet-powered flight, capablity to travel underwater, and enhanced strength.

Pagan
Powers
Pagan had superhuman strength (Class 100) and durability, able to withstand superhumanly strong punches and even magical hexes. He was powered by energies transferred to him by Jonathan Tremont, allowing him to grow in proportion to the amount of energy his form housed.

Prep-time

This would serve no character any help, not would the location.

Match

As the match begins Harrier can throw everything he has at Pagan and the kitchen sink and all it is going to is make him even madder. Pagan has fought the whole Avengers, while Harrier is a C-list villain.

The location is quite limited despite Harrier's ability to fly. All this would do is to delay the inevitable, as he would have to eventually come down to fight Pagan.

Pagan has taken Thor's hammer to face (twice), as well as fought him directly and took him out, Vision's eye beams as well as his solidified fist without slowing down (atually threw Vision away with a backlash), Scarlet Witch's hex blast, Iron Man's blast, combined hits by Wonder Man and Vision, as well as many other impressive feats. Harrier has no way of defeating Pagan, and he has no knowledge or resources to find out about Pagan to try to find a way to defeat him. This match will eventually turn out one way, with Harrier's lifeless body laying on the ground besides Pagan who is ready for more destruction.

WINNER PAGAN

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"