Contest Of Marvels (Season 3) - Thread 3

Ultimo
Doom 2099
Vidar
Weapon Omega
Man, If I knew Pointer still had all those powers I'd have had him MUCH higher on my list!

I know right? I'm shocked I got him. He's totally uber. I'm gunning for the Sentry at this point.

Final Results:

Vidar defeats Spitfire 7-1

Weapon Omega defeats Psylocke 6-2

Ultimo defeats Metalhead 8-0

Doom 2099 defeats Firebird 8-0

CoM.jpg

Bracket 5

Match 1:

Magma (HARLEKIN) link

magma-1.jpg

vs.

Purple Man (POWDER-MAN) link

purpleman.jpg

Match 2:

Marvel Boy-Noh-Varr (HELLSTORMER) link

marvelboy.jpg

vs.

Wraith-Zak-Del (AHURAMAZDA) link

wraith-1.jpg

Bracket 6

Match 1:

Ghost Rider 2099 (POWDER-MAN) link

gh2099.jpg

vs.

Karima Shapandar (POWDER-MAN) link

karima.jpg

Match 2:

Boomerang (RANDOMHAVOC) link

boomerang.jpg

vs.

Maelstrom (POWDER-MAN) link

maelstrom.jpg

OPENING DEBATE: MAELSTROM VS BOOMERANG

Okay, when I first saw this match I thought Boomerang didn't have a chance, but then I realized that Boomerang's got a sure win here.

You see, Maelstrom may indeed be a massively powerful cosmic character, but never, and I mean never in any appearance, has he suffered the aweful wrath of being hit by boomerangs! I know what you're thinking, "What? Surely he's been hit by boomerangs and survived!" But, no, he hasn't.

I submit to you that Maelstrom's greatest weakness is and always has been being struck by a boomerang, and that, once this is done, he will instantly lapse into a coma, followed by eventual death.

I defy you, Powder-Man, to give me A SINGLE ON PANEL example of Maelstrom getting hit by a boomerang and surviving. Until you can I, and every other voter, MUST assume that Boomerang takes this match hands down.

WINNER = BOOMERANG

Last edited:
593015-si_super.jpg

Noh-Varr VS. Wraith

This appears to be a difficult match for Noh, but it can actually work a lot smoother. Noh's best bet will be to enter a White Run the minute the battle begins. In this state he feels nothing, not even the fear that Wraith can conjure up. In the Young Avengers/Runaways Civil War tie-in Noh was able to take down all of the YA during a White Run and even suffer a phased arm going through him and then solidifying (the Vision of course) which he proceed to grab on to and rip off the robot. Noh was a creation bred for combat. He's wicked fast and has the neccesary equipment and information to take down anyone. Wraith is strong and immortal and has a kickass weapon, but those only help if he can actually get a handle on his target. In a White Run Noh is moving way too fast and doesn't feel anything so even if Wraith hits him it won't slow him down. He'll slow down when Wraith is laying incapacitated below him.

Winner=Noh-Varr

Maelstrom vs Boomerang

Ha, yeah this matchup is pretty well in favor of Maelstrom. Any attack that Boomerang uses will just be absorbed as kinetic energy by Maelstrom. Sure Boomerang has some cool trick Boomerangs, but in the end it will have the same affect in only making Maelstrom stronger.

*Maelstrom can absorb kinetic energy from any source and use it to increase his own physical abilities while draining his victims. He can also use this energy by generating force blasts, flying, force field creation and growing in size. With the means to amplify his abilities, Maelstrom can absorb kinetic energy from the entire planet. Maelstrom is also a genius in the scientific disciplines of biology and genetics.

Prep-time

This wouldn't help Boomerang at all as he wouldn't know anything about Maelstrom, while Maelstrom would at least have a good indication of Boomerang's abilities by his name...

Match

The location would serve Maelstrom far more better as he has had a lot of history with the Inhumans. Regardless this match will last about 7.3 seconds. Long enough for Boomerang to throw his first boomerang at Maelstrom, Maelstrom absorb whatever trick boomerang he throws and for Maelstrom to fire back with an energy blast. That is if even Maelstrom doesn't already have his shields up.

I could say this would be a horrible matchup for Boomerang, but really Boomerang is a c-list villain and no way in the league of Maelstrom who has gone up against Quasar, the Fantastic Four, Drax, the Inhumans, etc.

WINNER MAELSTROM

Karima Shapandar vs Ghost rider 2099

Darn I hate losing good characters.

*Karima is fitted with Omega-Prime Sentinel nanite technology which gives her superhuman strength, speed, reflexes, and endurance. She also has flight capacity, regeneration to repair any physical injury/damage she receives, and several projectile weapons, including high energy power blasts, as well as electrostatic poles built into her forearms that generate massive amounts of electrical energy. Her strength and durability were enhanced after she was rebuilt by the Beast. She appears to show limited technopathy and machine control, due to being able to "find" information from machines, and having the ability to control nanites in others' blood. She also has life-support technology built into her systems as evidenced in X-Men Legacy #208.

*Ghost Rider 2099 is a Cybertek 101 robot. The re-enforced carbon-steel silicon composite robotic body gave Ghost Rider superhuman strength, endurance and durability. Both hands were capable of transforming, the right hand into a ceramic graphite composite bladed chainsaw that blasted bursts of energy; and the left hand in to a polymimetic nanomer alloy claw, able to cut on a submolecular level. The robot also possessed a stealth system rendering Ghost Rider invisible to detection by both electronic systems and the naked eye; in addition, it possesses a "solidgram" camouflage system that could allow him to mimic the appearance of any individual (including Zero Cochrane), and create the illusion of his head being engulfed in flames. The robot also had optic lasers, and was capable of self-repairing.

I have no idea who I want to advance...so feel free to lay some feedback.

WINNER...not me

OPENING DEBATE: MAELSTROM VS BOOMERANG

Okay, when I first saw this match I thought Boomerang didn't have a chance, but then I realized that Boomerang's got a sure win here.

You see, Maelstrom may indeed be a massively powerful cosmic character, but never, and I mean never in any appearance, has he suffered the aweful wrath of being hit by boomerangs! I know what you're thinking, "What? Surely he's been hit by boomerangs and survived!" But, no, he hasn't.

I submit to you that Maelstrom's greatest weakness is and always has been being struck by a boomerang, and that, once this is done, he will instantly lapse into a coma, followed by eventual death.

I defy you, Powder-Man, to give me A SINGLE ON PANEL example of Maelstrom getting hit by a boomerang and surviving. Until you can I, and every other voter, MUST assume that Boomerang takes this match hands down.

WINNER = BOOMERANG

HA! Yeah interesting except the fact that Maelstrom would absorb any of Boomerang's attacks, Boomerang will be lucky to play another day with his toys. That is if Maelstrom allows Boomerang to live another day.

WINNER MAELSTROM...ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

CoM.jpg

Match 2:

Marvel Boy-Noh-Varr (HELLSTORMER) link

marvelboy.jpg

vs.

Wraith-Zak-Del (AHURAMAZDA) link

wraith-1.jpg

I will be honest and admit that I did not even know I had this character on my list but it was a happy surprise once I saw that this character was actually very uber.

Heree is what marvel says about his powers:

Marvel said:
Powers
The full extent of Wraith's powers are unknown. Wraith was given the powers of the Nameless. He was infused by the black membrane that the Nameless wear. It is a collection of exolon plasmoids. By bonding with the exolon, Wraith gained strength, healing and immortality.

Abilities
He has the ability to summon the exolon to swarm his opposition, causing even inorganic beings to be overcome by fear.

Weapons
Wraith carries a weapon that morphs into just about anything. It is a talisman of the ancient Kree. This weapon knows the needs of the wielder.

Noh Var is a kree who was enhanced by insect DNA and he is a very capable fighter.

Now these charcaters are both Kree so they should have some knowledge of each other. The one thing is the battle is going to go very badly for Noh Varr.

First off, this was the last appearance of Wraith:

Retrieved from "http://marvel.com/universe/Wraith said:
This led them journeying to the Kree world of Rei-Va’j; there they defeated a multitude of Phalanx. Wraith and the others learned of a secret weapon that the Phalanx planned to unleash on the Kree, by hacking into a captured Phalanx warrior. Wraith found the Supreme Intelligence who was in fact the Phalanx's secret weapon. Supremor informs Wraith that by consuming his soul into his being. Wraith would save the Kree. Wraith is again visited by a vision of his father. This time his father enlightens him to the fact that it is his destiny to save the Kree. The Supreme Intelligence has reached beyond his living death to save Kree. Sim-Del informed Wraith that he was one the chosen saviors of the Kree. Wraith followed the direction to consume the soul of Supremor. He then pummeled Ronan into defeat and freed him from the Phalanx's influence. No one was aware that Wraith had the soul of the Supreme Intelligence inside of him. I am sure that more will be revealed, soon.

So Wraith actually has the Supreme Intelligence inside of him which makes him even more deadly.

The way this battle will go will see Wraith overwhelming Noh Var causing him great fear and leading him to defeat.

I cannot describe the battle because I lack the supreme intelligence or a weapon that morphs into anything, all things Wraith has. Marvel Boy os going down.

Winner = Wraith

Last edited:
Noh-Varr VS. Wraith - rebuttal

[/SIZE][LEFT]This appears to be a difficult match for Noh, but it can actually work a lot smoother. Noh's best bet will be to enter a White Run the minute the battle begins. In this state he feels nothing, not even the fear that Wraith can conjure up. In the Young Avengers/Runaways Civil War tie-in Noh was able to take down all of the YA during a White Run and even suffer a phased arm going through him and then solidifying (the Vision of course) which he proceed to grab on to and rip off the robot. Noh was a creation bred for combat. He's wicked fast and has the neccesary equipment and information to take down anyone. Wraith is strong and immortal and has a kickass weapon, but those only help if he can actually get a handle on his target. In a White Run Noh is moving way too fast and doesn't feel anything so even if Wraith hits him it won't slow him down. He'll slow down when Wraith is laying incapacitated below him.
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER][/QUOTE]

These are all interesting points but lets look at the past. First thing is that it is rare he goes into a White Run immediately as he usually attempts to win his battles without resorting to that. However, if he can suvive the initial attack which is higly doubtful then he can go into a White Run.

The big issue here is he is facing someone who has the ultimate weapon that can morph into anything he needs to not mention he also has the Supreme Intelligence within him.

The Supreme Intelligence possesses an immeasurable intellect, with vast knowledge, far surpassing that of present day Earth. It possesses information storage and processing abilities far above that of the human brain, and has access to the total resources of the Kree Empire. Despite being stationary and basically immobile, the Intelligence possesses all known psionic powers, such as telepathy, future predicting, telekinesis, cosmic awareness, sensory link, information absorption, postcognition, precognition etc.

Wraith was able to beat up Ronan with relative ease and has not known defeat. He also will have great knowledge of Noh Varr given his access to Kree resources. Wraith should be able to take this despite Noh Var's abilities.

[B]Winner = Wraith[/B]

[SIZE=5]Winner=Wraith[/SIZE]​

Purple Man vs Magma

I would have got this up sooner but I forgot I picked up this character.

Magma is able to assume fiery form; can control movement of tectonic plates to cause seismic upheaval or call forth molten rock from the Earth's core; immune to heat and flame.

Purple Man (Killgrave) emits pheromones from his skin which render exposed people susceptible to his verbal control, an effect similar to hypnosis. He is capable of commanding several people at once, as long as they remain in proximity to him. Once removed from his presence, affected people eventually regain their sense of self. Only people with exceptionally strong willpower or radically different physiologies have been known to resist this effect. Killgrave’s mutated body also has an enhanced ability to heal itself.

Prep-Time

This won't help either character directly as I don't believe either know each other.

However considering Magma doesn't know Purple Man this would be very dangerous for her as she wouldn't know to avoid his powers.

Match

The location won't help either as neither would know much about the area, however again it would help Purple Man more as there would be more cover and places to sneak around. Purple Man is highly intelligent and was a former spy so this would be up his alley.

Once Magma is within his vicinity this match is over. Purple Man has controlled over a 100 people at once, and the pheromones he emits affects anyone exposed to them unless they are strong willed like Dr. Doom (in which Magma isn't). She will become his puppet without her even aware of it, they will have hot sex and then he makes her kill herself.

WINNER PURPLE MAN

Rebuttal: Noh-Varr VS. Wraith

I would just like to add some new information I got. During Secret Invasion Noh was given replicas of the Nega Bands that the Skrull Imposter used. These replicate the powers of the original Captain Marvel.

Now these charcaters are both Kree so they should have some knowledge of each other. The one thing is the battle is going to go very badly for Noh Varr.
Just because they're both Kree doesn't mean they'll know eachother. Noh has the Plex Intelligence so it's likely he'll find something, but Wraith doesn't really seem to have anything that will give him sufficient data.

The way this battle will go will see Wraith overwhelming Noh Var causing him great fear and leading him to defeat.
According to the wiki bio he can repress any stimulus he doesn't want to experience.
He is able to re-route his neurological impulses so that he can avoid experiencing physical pain, and even suppress any stimulus he doesn't want to experience, making him a deadly opponent in battle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh-Varr

I'd imagine since it says neurological he can surpress fear.

These are all interesting points but lets look at the past. First thing is that it is rare he goes into a White Run immediately as he usually attempts to win his battles without resorting to that. However, if he can suvive the initial attack which is higly doubtful then he can go into a White Run.
I'll give you that, but it's definitely a trump card he has and can use to a devasting degree.

The big issue here is he is facing someone who has the ultimate weapon that can morph into anything he needs to not mention he also has the Supreme Intelligence within him.
But Noh IS an ultimate weapon. That's what he was designed to be and his reaction time is too high for anything to even hit him.

Noh is a ridiculous fighter. He was made into a living weapon with a thousand and one tricks at his disposable. His spit causes hallucination and mind control and his hair can grow into an exploding spike. And above all he has the White Run. Using this he was able to take down the YA including Hulking and Vision. He even had an arm unphased inside his chest and he just ripped it off the Vision. Noh doesn't have an ultimate weapon cause he is one.

Winner=Noh-Varr

I would just like to add some new information I got. During Secret Invasion Noh was given replicas of the Nega Bands that the Skrull Imposter used. These replicate the powers of the original Captain Marvel.

I am not sure of the timing but even if they are his, and the bands were Skrull copies and not as good as the original. Plus Wraith's weapon has the abilty to deactivate/disarm other weaponry. This will be used here.

Just because they're both Kree doesn't mean they'll know eachother. Noh has the Plex Intelligence so it's likely he'll find something, but Wraith doesn't really seem to have anything that will give him sufficient data.

Wraith will know No Var because he has eaten the soul of the Supreme Intelligence and he has access to the intelligence. The Supreme Intelligence knows everything Kree. What is Noh Var's source about knowing a character who only appeared during a breif time during Annihlation?

According to the wiki bio he can repress any stimulus he doesn't want to experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh-Varr

I'd imagine since it says neurological he can surpress fear.

He can do that during a White Run but I put forward that he can be overwhelmed before he goes into awhite run as you agree he does not tend to that intially.

I'll give you that, but it's definitely a trump card he has and can use to a devasting degree.

Even if he does which is not evident, given when Wraith was impaled on a spike after having been tortured, he simply pulled himself off and immediately healed. The guy is immortal and his tolerance for pain is so high that he was considered to be like a ghost not to mention he immediately heals. His weapon can morph into a cage and imprison Noh Var whereas Wraith can envelop himself in darkness.

But Noh IS an ultimate weapon. That's what he was designed to be and his reaction time is too high for anything to even hit him.

His reaction time allows him to evade bullets not things that might be coming at several times the speed of sound or even speed of light. Wraith is every bit as fast and most probably considerably faster then Noh Var.

Noh is a ridiculous fighter. He was made into a living weapon with a thousand and one tricks at his disposable. His spit causes hallucination and mind control and his hair can grow into an exploding spike. And above all he has the White Run. Using this he was able to take down the YA including Hulking and Vision. He even had an arm unphased inside his chest and he just ripped it off the Vision. Noh doesn't have an ultimate weapon cause he is one.

He is a super kree soldier, I give you that but Wraith is also a super powerred Kree being and this being uses a weapon that morphs into anything the weapon user needs. Wraith just has to bring it into battle for it to morph into something that counters Noh Var. plus Wraith cannot die, heals better then Wolverine and is every bit as strong and as fast plus he can overwhelm anyone or any creature with absolte fear.

Winner=Wraith

I am not sure of the timing but even if they are his, and the bands were Skrull copies and not as good as the original. Plus Wraith's weapon has the abilty to deactivate/disarm other weaponry. This will be used here.
It happened during SI so its fair game. I don't think the Nega Bands would really come across as a weapon in the traditional sense. I'll leave it to the voters to decide whether they can be deactivated.

Wraith will know No Var because he has eaten the soul of the Supreme Intelligence and he has access to the intelligence. The Supreme Intelligence knows everything Kree. What is Noh Var's source about knowing a character who only appeared during a breif time during Annihlation?
The Plex Intelligence is a living databank that grows and learns. Information about the recent Annihilation conquest won't be hard to come by. Especially if Wraith absorbed the entire Supremem Intelligence.

He can do that during a White Run but I put forward that he can be overwhelmed before he goes into awhite run as you agree he does not tend to that intially.
He did it when he had just met the YA so its not impossible to think he'd go into it before a situation gets dire. It all depends on the writer really.

Even if he does which is not evident, given when Wraith was impaled on a spike after having been tortured, he simply pulled himself off and immediately healed. The guy is immortal and his tolerance for pain is so high that he was considered to be like a ghost not to mention he immediately heals. His weapon can morph into a cage and imprison Noh Var whereas Wraith can envelop himself in darkness.
Noh is just too quick with too high a reaction time for any of this stuff to actually work against him. Plus factor in his ability to give Wraith hallucinations just by contact with his saliva and his exploding nails.

His reaction time allows him to evade bullets not things that might be coming at several times the speed of sound or even speed of light. Wraith is every bit as fast and most probably considerably faster then Noh Var.
How do you figure that exactly? Noh was bred to be fast. I don't know what kind of weapon or attack can be done at the speed of sound and especially not the speed of light.

He is a super kree soldier, I give you that but Wraith is also a super powerred Kree being and this being uses a weapon that morphs into anything the weapon user needs. Wraith just has to bring it into battle for it to morph into something that counters Noh Var. plus Wraith cannot die, heals better then Wolverine and is every bit as strong and as fast plus he can overwhelm anyone or any creature with absolte fear.
Wraith can repel any unwanted stimulus, his reaction time is far too high for the weapon to actually be 100% effective, and he can cause hallucinations and mind control just by spitting on Wraith. He also has a full weaponry filled with anything he might need, exploding nails, and his trump card, the White Run.

Winner= Noh-Varr

Last edited:
Purple Man - No debate

Wraith

Karima - more versatile for me

Maelstorm

purple man
wraith
Boomerang
- I still didn't see any on-panel evidence that Maelstrom can survive getting hit by a boomerang ;)
Ghost Rider 2099
-they're both technology based, but his tech is 100 yrs more advanced. Go with him

My Votes:

*Purple Man -
I can see why Harl wouldn't even bother with this match. I don't see Purple Man having any trouble controlling Magma.

*Marvel Boy -
Great debate! I went back and forth with this one, and both are great characters.

*Karima Shapandar -
What a tough decision. In the end, I'd go with Karima, simply for the fact that she'd have an easier time getting information about these competitors than Ghost Rider 2099 would. I think she could do much better in Prep-Time....hmmm...maybe I should have tried to convince you to pick GR2099 instead, and hope for beating you later if it comes up.

*Maelstrom -
RH's last debate was pretty funny...good way to go out; but, sadly, the boomerangs wouldn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"