Arrowverse General CRISIS on Infinite Earths - 5 show crossover (TAG SPOILERS!)

Welling basically said if they called him up and told him he was going to be wearing the suit, he would have hung up the phone. He says it's about respecting what Smallville was. The usual Tom Welling answer haha.

I agree van, I think he would have pulled off the black suit/beard look awesome!

He's still my favorite Superma- *ahem* I mean Clark Kent... haha.

I'm curious what his reasoning is on not wanting to wear it? I could understand years ago afraid of being "typecast" but... he's getting old and hasn't done much anyways? Maybe he just think it looks lame. Haha. Ah well.

I’d argue that what they actually wrote for him was infinitely more disrespectful to what SV was than putting him in the/a suit would’ve been, but that’s opinions for ya.

He doesnt want to really have anything to do with super powers and all that jazz so if you can de-power Clark it's perfect. No suit, no green screen....though what he thinks of 10 years as being the journey of Clark with never becoming Superman in those 10 years.....he chose the wrong genre.

Welling basically said if they called him up and told him he was going to be wearing the suit, he would have hung up the phone. He says it's about respecting what Smallville was. The usual Tom Welling answer haha.

I agree van, I think he would have pulled off the black suit/beard look awesome!

He's still my favorite Superma- *ahem* I mean Clark Kent... haha.

I'm curious what his reasoning is on not wanting to wear it? I could understand years ago afraid of being "typecast" but... he's getting old and hasn't done much anyways? Maybe he just think it looks lame. Haha. Ah well.
He doesn't want to be Superman because he says being Superman is the easy part. The journey to becoming Superman is harder and more interesting. That was his reason why he is against the suit.

He doesnt want to really have anything to do with super powers and all that jazz so if you can de-power Clark it's perfect. No suit, no green screen....though what he thinks of 10 years as being the journey of Clark with never becoming Superman in those 10 years.....he chose the wrong genre.
That's how I feel as well. I mean he did everything he could not to put on the suit. He just didn't want to be Superman even though for Season 9 & 10 he was practically doing a Golden Age Superman show aside from flying and wearing the suit. But my thing is when people sit here and try and defend this all I can say is there's your proof right there he had no interest in ever being Superman which is sad being a long time Smallville fan and one of his main supporters on this board during the Abrams/SR casting days. Makes me more upset about the last season of that show then I already was.

I just wish they showed his Smallville Earth being swallowed by the antimatter wave.

His answers didn’t surprise me as being Superman was a non-starter for him. Even when the Crisis cameo is years after the show ended, he still wouldn't wear the suit because of selfish reasons when there is a threat out there like the antimatter wave and the Anti-Monitor. I was right in not having any incentive to rewatch Smallville ever again as once was enough.

Looking forward to Superman and Lois in the Fall that will make me forget about Smallville.

Last edited:
That's how I feel as well. I mean he did everything he could not to put on the suit. He just didn't want to be Superman even though for Season 9 & 10 he was practically doing a Golden Age Superman show aside from flying and wearing the suit. But my thing is when people sit here and try and defend this all I can say is there's your proof right there he had no interest in ever being Superman which is sad being a long time Smallville fan and one of his main supporters on this board during the Abrams/SR casting days. Makes me more upset about the last season of that show then I already was.

I will defend Welling for several reasons, he never signed up for a Superman show. He even turned the part down twice but they convinced him to do it. He made it clear he didn’t want to run around in a costume. So if anyone’s to blame it’s Al Gough and Miles Millar who were adamant on getting a man who made it clear he didn’t want to wear the suit.

Welling has always been open about not being interested in playing the Superman persona since day one and that he was interested in Clark's journey into becoming Superman. So its little weird that he's getting backlash from some fans for his honesty on this matter.

Also both Al Gough and Miles Millar intended Smallville to not be a Superman show which is what attracted Welling to the role in the first place. It's little unfair to suggest Welling chose the chose the wrong genre considering Al Gough and Miles Millar were adamant that Smaillve will have 'No tights, no flights' in the show.

Last edited:
Welling's Clark was shown becoming Superman with glimpses of the suit, but it was played as a hint of a future that literally morphs into first a comic book (read by Chloe to her son) and later into the familiar Donner film style credit sequence. The idea being that this is the part of the journey that's rarely covered, leaving this as an almost universal origin for any version of Superman.

He embraced his destiny and served as Superman from 2011 (the date of the finale) until 2019 (the year of the crossover), so 8 years after the show's conclusion (a time lapse that has been confirmed by multiple sources and Lois's "about a decade" meta joke). The twin girls are only a few months old, since Lois wasn't pregnant during the finale's 2018 flash forward final scene when we see Lex was just elected president.

There is no official confirmation that the power loss was permanent (no, an EW article that suggested gold kryptonite without any direct quote from anyone doesn't count). Indeed, Durance even speculated that it was like a temporary paternity leave. He took time to be with his family after essentially defeating nearly every major villain and doing heroic stuff since he was in high school (and proto-Superman stuff since 2008).

I would have actually been annoyed to have seen Welling wear the suit for the crossover but not the show for its own finale. It wouldn't make up for the perceived slight that others feel his not wearing it was. To me, it wouldn't be a case of "better late than never." The time to wear it would have been for the finale. Even then, I think the reasoning is sound to leave the show as a solid prequel to launch into a more universal Superman than to define it too concretely. So, yep, I still respect Welling and the show.

Welling's Clark was shown becoming Superman with glimpses of the suit, but it was played as a hint of a future that literally morphs into first a comic book (read by Chloe to her son) and later into the familiar Donner film style credit sequence. The idea being that this is the part of the journey that's rarely covered, leaving this as an almost universal origin for any version of Superman.

He embraced his destiny and served as Superman from 2011 (the date of the finale) until 2019 (the year of the crossover), so 8 years after the show's conclusion (a time lapse that has been confirmed by multiple sources and Lois's "about a decade" meta joke). The twin girls are only a few months old, since Lois wasn't pregnant during the finale's 2018 flash forward final scene when we see Lex was just elected president.

There is no official confirmation that the power loss was permanent (no, an EW article that suggested gold kryptonite without any direct quote from anyone doesn't count). Indeed, Durance even speculated that it was like a temporary paternity leave. He took time to be with his family after essentially defeating nearly every major villain and doing heroic stuff since he was in high school (and proto-Superman stuff since 2008).

I would have actually been annoyed to have seen Welling wear the suit for the crossover but not the show for its own finale. It wouldn't make up for the perceived slight that others feel his not wearing it was. To me, it wouldn't be a case of "better late than never." The time to wear it would have been for the finale. Even then, I think the reasoning is sound to leave the show as a solid prequel to launch into a more universal Superman than to define it too concretely. So, yep, I still respect Welling and the show.

BFAE2F70-10D5-4974-9962-288ECA8789A8.gif

Welling has always been open about not being interested in playing the Superman persona since day one and that he was interested in Clark's journey into becoming Superman. So its little weird that he's getting backlash from some fans for his honesty on this matter.

Also both Al Gough and Miles Millar intended Smallville to not be a Superman show which is what attracted Welling to the role in the first place. It's little unfair to suggest Welling chose the chose the wrong genre considering Al Gough and Miles Millar were adamant that Smaillve will have 'No tights, no flights' in the show.

5 years is fine but when you go on for 10 years trying to push off the inevitable.....it's...a reach.

My theory ;nd:

Even if you disagreed with it, the Smallville “no flights, no tights” rule represented a legitimate approach to the material. The series wasn’t about Superman, it was about the boy/man who would one day become Superman.

However, towards the end (which was maybe three years past its best-before-date :cool:), the show was depicting Clark (“the Blur”) in a costume (!); and he was regularly performing deus ex machina “super speed” feats. True, technically, neither one of these is “tights” or “flights.” But essentially they amounted to the same thing. So it seems disingenuous to claim that the mere appearance of the traditional costume would conceptually go beyond the series’ original mission statement. To all intents and purposes, the series (itself) had already made this transition.

My theory ;nd:

Even if you disagreed with it, the Smallville “no flights, no tights” rule represented a legitimate approach to the material. The series wasn’t about Superman, it was about the boy/man who would one day become Superman.

However, towards the end (which was maybe three years past its best-before-date :cool:), the show was depicting Clark (“the Blur”) in a costume (!); and he was regularly performing deus ex machina “super speed” feats. True, technically, neither one of these is “tights” or “flights.” But essentially they amounted to the same thing. So it seems disingenuous to claim that the mere appearance of the traditional costume would conceptually go beyond the series’ original mission statement. To all intents and purposes, the series (itself) had already made this transition.

Wrong. As Clark says in the final season, "the suit doesn't make the hero." Neither does doing certain heroic deeds with powers. Being Superman is about being a public superhero. It's why it was a central issue in MOS; the distinction between Clark completing oil rig stealth saves and actually facing the public without a mask is a meaningful one. Moreover, you have to judge it by the storytelling rules of each idiosyncratic narrative.

On Smallville, flight for Clark was tied to maturity and personal acceptance, so his inability to fly represented an incomplete transformation into Superman. Being able to accept a dual identity was also a major development that Clark had to not only come to understand its utility, but also embrace having to live that kind of double life—to even decide which part of him is the mask, whether to wear a mask, or if he's wearing masks at all. The show was all about how Superman means more than some of the trivial aspects you identify, and dismissing the complexity and nuance of that characterization shows a lack of appreciation for Superman's complexity.

This may have already been covered recently, but we're still (in the UK) to get CoIE and as far as I can see there's still no date set for when we will.

Which is piss poor.

Honestly, by the time we eventually do get it all interest will have long evaporated. Do they want us to watch them illegally?

This may have already been covered recently, but we're still (in the UK) to get CoIE and as far as I can see there's still no date set for when we will.

Which is piss poor.

Honestly, by the time we eventually do get it all interest will have long evaporated. Do they want us to watch them illegally?
Just watch on the cw app

I caught up on Black Lightning and It makes no sense that J'onn wouldn't have whammed Gambi, Anissa, ect. He obviously whammed Jefferson, we saw that by the end of COIE. Instead of Gambi saying he had no memory of Jeff or Jennifer being away they could've had him say something like the Martian J'onn came and gave me a headache, that wouldn't have even required David Harewood's presence and the rest of the season could proceeded as it has. I know it's a logistical nightmare but now that they've opened that can of worms fans are going to expect Jeff and his whole family in the next crossover.

I doubt we'd get the whole of the Lightning family in the next crossover. First off, they wanted to scale it down. And second, only Jefferson and Jennifer seem to know about the existence of the multiverse. The rest seem to operate as if nothing has changed at all and are none the wiser.

Imagine if Agent Odell found out he was now the Joker post crisis. He'd certainly be the smiliest Joker ever. :o

Which is piss poor.

They should really put the CW superhero shows on Netflix UK like they do for Riverdale.

I remember back in about Season 3 of Smallville, the UK was a whole season behind the US. It used to be even longer to wait for other TV shows before. Instead of waiting just a few months until the Autumn, shows usually screened the following year on British TV.

So...remember a few years back when a fellow named David Jones created an animated mash-up of the old "Batman" TV series with the Arrowverse heroes?

Well, he's at it again, this time showcasing the seven heroes 'gathered together from the cosmic reaches of the universe' at the end of Crisis.

This is just a teaser, but it looks LIT.

Just recently rewatched some parts of the previous "Crisis on Earth X" crossover.

Jeez, I had forgotten on the difference in quality and production value between the two crisis crossovers was quite significant.

Just recently rewatched some parts of the previous "Crisis on Earth X" crossover.

Jeez, I had forgotten on the difference in quality and production value between the two crisis crossovers was quite significant.
We haven't had CoIE here in the UK yet. Which was better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"