Darkman Appreciation Thread

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
51B63F94CML._SS500_.jpg

Darkman is possibly the most underrated movie in the superhero genre. I can't understand why so many people ignore this movie. Especially after the success Sam Raimi has had with the Spider-Man movies. In fact...why hasn't Universal released special edition DVDs. Back when Spider-Man 1 and 2 were released it would have been the perfect time. But, anyway, this movie kicks ass for various reasons. First and foremost because it's a great combination of the monster and superhero genres. Ang Lee should have watched this movie before making his Hulk movie. Secondly, it has some of the most inventive action scenes in the genre. Also, Liam Neeson is awesome. One of his most underrated performances. He's able to be a nerdy scientist, tragic character, and superhero AT THE SAME TIME. Give the man an Oscar. :oldrazz: And, Danny Elfman's score is awesome. Yea, yea, yea there's some Batman-esque stuff going on but he perfectly captures the tragedy of the character. Oh, and there's a Bruce Campbell cameo. You can never go wrong with a Bruce Campbell cameo.

Now check these scenes out:

[YT]tnfikt-X6LY[/YT]

[YT]rS-C2bRXT24[/YT]

[YT]PDzinPXt3KY[/YT]

This has been on my to-see list for some time. I've heard people say they liked it better then any of the Spider-Man films.

This has been on my to-see list for some time. I've heard people say they liked it better then any of the Spider-Man films.

Hell yea! Raimi's Spidey Trilogy was great, but Darkman beats it cause it's classic Raimi. If you are an Evil Dead fan you'll love Darkman. This is Raimi before he started taking himself seriously. This was back when Raimi just wanted to entertain people.

Oh, and check this out:
[YT]5uZBVYkZrJo[/YT]

Sam Raimi was just a youngin!

It looks like great fun. I think I will definitely try to pick this up soon,

Darkman was fun, but the sequels sucked. That's what's really shameful.

Trivia: Bruce Campbell was Raimi's original choice to play Darkman, but the studio wouldn't back Campbell as they felt Campbell couldn't carry the film, enter Liam Neeson as Darkman, with Bruce making a cameo at the end as "the final schemp" (last mask) Darkman wears as he disappears into the crowd (look closely you'll notice Campbell is wearing shoulder pads under the trenchcoat to make him match up more to Liam Neeson, who's about twice Campbell's size).

And if I remember right, Raimi wanted to make a film about the Shadow but couldn't get the rights, so he made this instead and gave the character a hat & jacket similar to the Shadow.

I love Darkman, it's a brilliant piece of cheesy, campy, comic booky fun.

I mean, it really has all of that stuff you'd expect from a good ol' pulpy comic book. The terrible science, the dialog, all that stuff.

One of the moments that's a good example of this is near the very end when the villain and Darkman face off up in an unfinished building, and the villain goes (in an extravagant fashion):
"Look about you. It's all mine. Because I built it... I BUILT IT ALL!"
.. cue the extremely dramatic, over-the-top comic book villain pose. His arms raised in the air in triumph. I love that stuff, and this movie has a lot of it.

its campy and over the top
its cheesy.

if you like that kind of mvoies and if you are not older then 13 then this is the movie for you.

- Terrible script
- Awful, awful special effects
- Neeson and Frances McDormand completely miscast
- Just plain nasty, sadistic violence
- Basically an unfocused mess of Raimi's favourite influences (The Shadow, Universal horror, superheroes)

Hey I liked Darkman 1 &2 but I m not sure with todays superhero if it can survive

The first film, for me, was mostly about Neeson and a lot of nostalgia.

However, the sequels I actually enjoyed more in some respects, although I felt Arnold Vosloo's performance was lacking a bit. He made a great Westlake, but in some of his Darkman scenes, it seemed like he was trying too hard. I did like the moment in "Darkman II", where he says, "I want Durant dead! That man took my face! He took my hands! He took my life!"

I also enjoyed "Darkman III", but without Larry Drake, it just felt a bit "off" from the first two. Jeff Fahey was way over-the top, but Roxann Dawson was great as his estranged wife.

Darkman was fun, but the sequels sucked. That's what's really shameful.

I didn't like Return of Durant, but Die Darkman Die was pretty good. :o

And if I remember right, Raimi wanted to make a film about the Shadow but couldn't get the rights, so he made this instead and gave the character a hat & jacket similar to the Shadow.

You are correct, sir.

I love Darkman, it's a brilliant piece of cheesy, campy, comic booky fun.

I mean, it really has all of that stuff you'd expect from a good ol' pulpy comic book. The terrible science, the dialog, all that stuff.

One of the moments that's a good example of this is near the very end when the villain and Darkman face off up in an unfinished building, and the villain goes (in an extravagant fashion):
.. cue the extremely dramatic, over-the-top comic book villain pose. His arms raised in the air in triumph. I love that stuff, and this movie has a lot of it.

HaHa. Yea. I love that stuff too. :up:

I felt Arnold Vosloo's performance was lacking a bit.

I didn't like Vosloo at all. Neeson was so brilliant because he combined nerdy, tragic, and heroic into a great performance. Vosloo was just trying to be a superhero.

From Wiki:

Universal Television financed a 30-minute television pilot based on Darkman, which was made sometime in 1992 and was to be shown on Fox.[16] The pilot retold the origin of the character (with some alterations) and introduced several new characters. Christopher Bowen starred in the role of Peyton Westlake/Darkman, Larry Drake reprised his role of Robert G. Durant and Kathleen York plays the cop, Jenny.

The origin is very similar to the one in the original film as Peyton discovers his synthetic skin, is attacked and left for dead by Durant and his gang. In this version, however, Peyton is already married to Julie, and she is killed in the explosion.

As in the movies, Westlake becomes the Darkman, and seeks vengeance on Durant and his gang. Darkman's headquarters are based in an abandoned observatory overlooking the city, and he is wanted by the police for his actions against Durant's gang.

The pilot ends with some scenes from the first movie (particularly of Darkman and Durant fighting) and Darkman stating that Justice will answer with a brand new face.

cool film
the second film was a bit hard to believe
how the f*** could durant survive a exploding helicopter
then just wake up without a scratch

Yeah the second film wasn't that good at all, and I didn't even bother seeing the third one. But the first one was awesome. Look, it's not going to win any Oscars, but it's an entertaining film.

"Take it!! Take the ****ing elephant!!"

I LOVE that scene!!! Absolutely beautiful!!

Great movie. Just watched it again tonight, I love it!

Universal, where's our 2 disc special edition?

I know, right? You'd think with the ridiculous popularity of the Spider-Man films, not to mention the numerous special editons they do for each Evil Dead movie, why wouldn't they do one for Darkman. To think, two years from now, it'll be the 20th Anniversary of the film! Granted, I don't want to wait that long for a full-on special edition DVD.

I loved the first one. It was so fun and action packed and up to that point I never really seen anything like it. It was a creative idea and I loved it. I loved it so much that I bought the other two films... holy crap, what were they thinking. First off, Vosloo looks nothing like Niesen. Second off, the film felt lazy because they totally just ripped off scenes from their own films and pasted them in the film but with different VO. Third, why the hell did they bring Durant back?! I thought he was an awesome villain who in my opinion died one of the best deaths I mean that helicopter scene was pure genius and was awesome to the core, but bringing him back to life was the stupidist excuse I ever heard of in my entire life. I like Darkman III: Die Darkman, Die because they actually had a bit of a love story and more choices for Westlake to make like will he give the little girl the skin formula or use it for himself to have his face back the way it was? I really did like that factor and that bad guy was just intense and super-crazy all the way and I loved it. I really would like to see a remake of this film as long as they're still respectful to the first film, if they're going to make it just for the money or are just going to make it suck hard then, don't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"