BvS David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this ever expanding DCCU and rumors of Goyer taking a more Fiege-like role (unless that's been debunked), I wonder when it comes time to do a proper MOS sequel if Goyer will be the writer of that film.

I imagine after the opening trilogy of MOS, WF, and JL, we'll get different writer/directors on the solo franchises, Superman included, but perhaps with Goyer at the helm of the universe ala Fiege. Maybe Goyer/Snyder stick around for JL2, JL3.

Or maybe we won't get solo movies anymore. Who knows.

why wouldn't they do solo films?

I imagine after the opening trilogy of MOS, WF, and JL, we'll get different writer/directors on the solo franchises, Superman included, but perhaps with Goyer at the helm of the universe ala Fiege. Maybe Goyer/Snyder stick around for JL2, JL3.

Or maybe we won't get solo movies anymore. Who knows.

Most likely. There's a big thing to factor here. Marvel character movies are being made not only by Marvel Studios, but also by Fox and Sony. That's why they can release 3-4 films per year without that much trouble. DC characters are owned by a single studio: WB. If they planned 3-4 DC movies per year they would go bankrupt in no time. GL is an example of that. These movies cost 150-200 million to make + around another 100 million in marketing costs. It's an insane amount of bucks and it needs around 600 million BO intake to brake even. Let's not forget that it's only one studio here. A much more likely scenario is WB making 1 film per year and the characters of the DC Universe appearing in them.

Most likely. There's a big thing to factor here. Marvel character movies are being made not only by Marvel Studios, but also by Fox and Sony. That's why they can release 3-4 films per year without that much trouble. DC characters are owned by a single studio: WB. If they planned 3-4 DC movies per year they would go bankrupt in no time. GL is an example of that. These movies cost 150-200 million to make + around another 100 million in marketing costs. It's an insane amount of bucks and it needs around 600 million BO intake to brake even. Let's not forget that it's only one studio here. A much more likely scenario is WB making 1 film per year and the characters of the DC Universe appearing in them.

Yeah someone posted a well-written article making that argument a few days ago.

It is a good point. I wonder with Constantine on NBC and Gotham on FOX, if WB is willing to license out some of their properties.

It is a good point. I wonder with Constantine on NBC and Gotham on FOX, if WB is willing to license out some of their properties.

licensing properties is not an ideal situation…think Disney is fine with X-men and Spiderman not being with them? The answer is no. Right now WB is in a good position…only they know what they are doing right now.

and I find it hard to believe that a studio that is hurting for a franchise that they are going to start one based on a character that appeared in a book in the Harry Potter series…is not going to do solo films…especially since the solo Batman series made so much money.

licensing properties is not an ideal situation…think Disney is fine with X-men and Spiderman not being with them? The answer is no. Right now WB is in a good position…only they know what they are doing right now.

and I find it hard to believe that a studio that is hurting for a franchise that they are going to start one based on a character that appeared in a book in the Harry Potter series…is not going to do solo films…especially since the solo Batman series made so much money.

The point still stands. We didn't see a Batman film every 2nd year. The gap between the first two was 3 years, between the second and third it was 4 years. The most DC films they've made is one per year (2011 GL, 2012 TDKR, 2013 MoS), and in two of them (GL and MoS) they've tried to set up appearances from other characters of the DC Universe (didn't happen for GL because it underperformed, but that's another story). I think it's pretty much clear by WB's behavior, that GL was intended (but failed) and MoS was intended to be more of a DC Universe nº 0. The franchise is not Superman, or Batman. The franchise is the DC Universe. Otherwise, the Marvel route is suicidal. 3-4 films a year would cost WB north of 1.2 billion per year just to make, with no guarantee of getting it back. It's simply impossible, financially speaking.

Last edited:
The point still stands. We didn't see a Batman film every 2nd year. The gap between the first two was 3 years, between the second and third it was 4 years. The most DC films they've made is one per year (2011 GL, 2012 TDKR, 2013 MoS), and in two of them (GL and MoS) they've tried to set up appearances from other characters of the DC Universe (didn't happen for GL because it underperformed, but that's another story). I think it's pretty much clear by WB's behavior, that GL was intended (but failed) and MoS was intended to be more of a DC Universe nº 0. The franchise is not Superman, or Batman. The franchise is the DC Universe. Otherwise, the Marvel route is suicidal. 3-4 films a year would cost WB north of 1.2 billion per year just to make, with no guarantee of getting it back. It's simply impossible, financially speaking.

yeah when you compare what 3 studios is doing to what 1 studio is doing…yes thats crazy. Nothing is clear from WB's behavior. We don't know what they have planned and looking at a few Target stores or the easter eggs in MOS that their isn't going to be solo films is silly.

yeah when you compare what 3 studios is doing to what 1 studio is doing…yes thats crazy. Nothing is clear from WB's behavior. We don't know what they have planned and looking at a few Target stores or the easter eggs in MOS that their isn't going to be solo films is silly.

What do you consider solo? Like Batman alone or Superman alone? Because I really think it's not happening. What I think is going to happen is what's happening now with BvS. We will get a film per year where we'll see Batman jumping in Superman's film, or GL in Flash's film, or WW in Batman's film. A bit like in the comics. Not all comics are JL, but there are appearances (extensive ones sometimes) from other characters in the solo monthly comics. That's the kind of "solo" movies I think we'll get. Also let's not forget Del Toro's JL Dark, which he himself has said is in the same universe.

I think that a coherent, multilateral approach is emerging from WB/DC.

I agree with you about Disney but they have Marvel as a complete other division to handle that. WB is simply WB, they have much more going on than Marvel.

As long as they don't pull a marvel/Disney and try to cram one or two mediocre movies a year down our throats, I'm looking forward to their plans. Imo it feels like they've definitely got their plans worked out, they just are playin it closer to the vest than they do at marvel.

But bringing it back to Goyer, I wonder if he'll end up being too busy with the universe to handle the minutiae of writing the MOS sequel. Maybe he'll strictly be an idea man for the universe and possibly the characters's solo films and delegate the script writing to others. Being an idea man is one of his strengths that I think his detractors can get on board with.

I wonder if David Goyer watches Arrow.

I see Goyer as the film/ TV equivalent to Geoff Johns in that he may be the architect of the DCU cinematic universe.

Think Goyer will incorporate that citizenship angle in the MoS sequel like he wrote in Action Comics #900?

But bringing it back to Goyer, I wonder if he'll end up being too busy with the universe to handle the minutiae of writing the MOS sequel. Maybe he'll strictly be an idea man for the universe and possibly the characters's solo films and delegate the script writing to others. Being an idea man is one of his strengths that I think his detractors can get on board with.

it depends on how fast he writes

it depends on how fast he writes

He tends to write fast. The BEGINS script was finished in six weeks. And it was pretty much the film we got.

Goyer's been at this script since at least February.

im willing to bet this script is already done and is just in the revision process

Yeah, they're probably prepping the shooting script as we speak.

Hey, what's the big WB film next summer?

The man couldn't do one character right let alone, get ready for bastardised versions of the trinity. The film will be full of more holes than a Swiss cheese and will have atrocious cringe worthy dialogue moments. No one should have any faith in this man and after BvS it will be a case if told you so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"