BvS It's always Darkest before The Dawn... Chris Terrio IS the Script Writer - Part 1

Warner Bros. is bringing Argo writer Chris Terrio into the Batman-Superman universe.
The Oscar-winning writer, who recently changed agencies from CAA to WME, has been brought in to write a draft of the Man of Steel follow-up,the untitled Batman-Superman movie. Terrio has a strong relationship with the studio and the film's star Ben Affleck. Affleck directed and starred in Argo, which won last year's best picture Oscar for Warners.

chris_terrio.jpg

source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/batman-superman-chris-terrio-write-666735?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Fnews+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Top+Stories%29

I honestly hope that Terrio was able to bring some "levity" into this story, let alone moments/sequences that feel like a fun adventure.

MOS and Watchmen, while serious and unique, don't really feel like fun adventures. I'm not saying that they should copy Marvel by any means or go campy, but if Watchmen's tone is overall what we can expect for future DCU films involving superhero teams from Snyder, then it's going to be somewhat of a serious ride all the way from here.lol

I honestly hope that Terrio was able to bring some "levity" into this story, let alone moments/sequences that feel like a fun adventure.

MOS and Watchmen, while serious and unique, don't really feel like fun adventures. I'm not saying that they should copy Marvel by any means or go campy, but if Watchmen's tone is overall what we can expect for future DCU films involving superhero teams from Snyder, then it's going to be somewhat of a serious ride all the way from here.lol

I imagine he did...the amount of 'levity' in Argo made that a 'fun' movie.

I remember Affleck (if I could remember) saying that Terrio's script is unique and BvS isn't going to be treated as your typical superhero movie. It will have the drama and suspense that propelled Terrio into the writer he is today so I'm excited for this thing to 'WOW' people into turning into something they weren't expecting while still holding true to the superhero genre and characters. I think some people who want to hate forget the fact that Chris Terrio has written the script, which right there automatically propells this next chapter into immediate credibility and optimism.

I hope that's what we get. The world is realistic but the characters lighten the mood with their personality.

I'm hoping we get some scenes where the dialogue is so good we'll be talking about it for years to come, especially so with the first meeting between Bats and Superman.
That scene MUST be done right or it will kill the whole film. They don't need me telling them that tho.

I remember Affleck (if I could remember) saying that Terrio's script is unique and BvS isn't going to be treated as your typical superhero movie. It will have the drama and suspense that propelled Terrio into the writer he is today so I'm excited for this thing to 'WOW' people into turning into something they weren't expecting while still holding true to the superhero genre and characters. I think some people who want to hate forget the fact that Chris Terrio has written the script, which right there automatically propells this next chapter into immediate credibility and optimism.

Honestly, after having watched "Watchmen" for the first time recently, I'm kind of paranoid (in a way) that Snyder may go down a similar dark-world route for the DCU characters as time progresses.

^^ Lol. Herolee... really do you realize that Watchmen was a comic book novel, and it was adapted to the big screen? It wasn't neither Zack Snyder style that changed the comic book novel nor the adaption. Those novels were just mostly the way they were portrayed.
That was how the comic really was... Even he toned down a little bit and some people even complained about that... if he'd change or soften too much like so many adaptions has had when they were transfered into live action, that would really have been a bad mistake.

DC Comics is a whole different scenario pal. I don't think make it to a "fun adventure" but lacking depth would be a good idea either. I want something to remember, not something to be rather fun but then at the 5th time you see it it becames rather boring/monotonous and meaningless.. I want something unique, ya know... Drama and Emotion is needed too (something that the fun movies really lacked in the majority of the moments).

I think a good balance of serious and grounded with some fun moments would be the best.

Last edited:
Lol. Herolee... really do you realize that Watchmen was a comic book novel, and it was adapted to the big screen? That was how the comic really was... Even he toned down a little bit... if he'd change or soften too much like so many adaptions has had when they were transfered into live action, that would really have been a bad mistake.

DC Comics is a whole different scenario pal. I don't think make it to a "fun adventure" but lacking depth would be a good idea either. I want something to remember, not something to be rather fun but then at the 5th time you see it it becames boring and meaningless.. I want something unique, ya know... Drama and Emotion is needed (something that the fun movies really lacked in the majority of the moments).

I think a good balance of serious and grounded with some fun moments would be the best.

This is exactly how I feel about The Avengers, now.

Speaking of The Avenges. Guess what I'm watching right now?

^^ Lol. Herolee... really do you realize that Watchmen was a comic book novel, and it was adapted to the big screen? It wasn't neither Zack Snyder style that changed the comic book novel nor the adaption. Those novels were just mostly the way they were portrayed.
That was how the comic really was... Even he toned down a little bit and some people even complained about that... if he'd change or soften too much like so many adaptions has had when they were transfered into live action, that would really have been a bad mistake.

DC Comics is a whole different scenario pal. I don't think make it to a "fun adventure" but lacking depth would be a good idea either. I want something to remember, not something to be rather fun but then at the 5th time you see it it becames rather boring/monotonous and meaningless.. I want something unique, ya know... Drama and Emotion is needed (something that the fun movies really lacked in the majority of the moments).

:applaud:applaud
best reply for the so called "marvel fun riders" (I like marvel comics too:whatever:)

I just hope he can a nail the superhero/fantastic part then it sounds good but too often "what you not expecting" seems to end up being " not what you wanted to see". Still optimistic though.

That depends on taste, and it always have been and will be like this forever, no matter how good is the story... some will like it, some don't. The world is full of different opinions.

I just hope he can a nail the superhero/fantastic part then it sounds good but too often "what you not expecting" seems to end up being " not what you wanted to see". Still optimistic though.

Agreed.

I hope this film can approach this the superhero genre in an atypical way, but not where its ashamed of it or is trying to make it something it isn't and shouldnt be.

I want good dialogue and characters.

I found it interesting that Zack Snyder's best work, Dawn of the Dead had a screenplay by James Gunn who went on to write among other things, Slither and Scooby Doo 2 before landing big with Guardians of the Galaxy. That Dawn of the Dead remake is a completely different beast from George Romeo's original and it is much better than the majority of remakes in the last decade.

Snyder also co-wrote the screenplay for 300, another critical hit. He did not contribute in terms of writing to Watchmen.

This hopefully point to better materials from Terrio after having Goyer taking the lion's share of poor writing in MOS.

batman-v-superman-credits-131110.jpg

With Goyer and Terrio getting billing, I'm assuming they're still using Goyer's original plot outline AND Terrio's actual script/rewrite.

With Goyer and Terrio getting billing, I'm assuming they're still using Goyer's original plot outline AND Terrio's actual script/rewrite.

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Terrio's billing over Goyer means the lion's share of the script belongs to Terrio.

It is really hard to figure that out unless we have both scripts with us. If they had said Script By Chris Terrio and Story by David Goyer, then your conjecture would be right. But WGA arbitration rules are ridiculously complex and so subject to interpretation that this billing could mean literally anything. Could be 80/20 Goyer or 80/20 Terrio or anywhere in between.

For example, for Tomb Raider 2, one of the writers credited is a guy who wrote the treatment for Tomb Raider 1 and established a library at Alexandria as the macguffin. The Tomb Raider 2 script used literally nothing else from his treatment, but since the library was the driving force for the plot, he had to be credited in "Story By".

Here is the billing requirements manual from the WGA for story, screenplay and written by:
4. Story

The term "story" means all writing covered by the provisions of the Minimum Basic Agreement representing a contribution "distinct from screenplay and consisting of basic narrative, idea, theme or outline indicating character development and action."

It is appropriate to award a "Story by" credit when: 1) the story was written under employment under Guild jurisdiction; 2) the story was purchased by a signatory company from a professional writer, as defined in the Minimum Basic Agreement; or 3) when the screenplay is based upon a sequel story written under the Guild's jurisdiction. If the story is based upon source material of a story nature, see "screen story" below.

6. Screenplay

A screenplay consists of individual scenes and full dialogue, together with such prior treatment, basic adaptation, continuity, scenario and dialogue as shall be used in, and represent substantial contributions to the final script.

A "Screenplay by" credit is appropriate when there is source material of a story nature (with or without a "Screen Story" credit) or when the writer(s) entitled to "Story by" credit is different than the writer(s) entitled to "Screenplay by" credit.

7. "Written by"

The term "Written by" is used when the writer(s) is entitled to both the "Story by" credit and the "Screenplay by" credit.

This credit shall not be granted where there is source material of a story nature. However, biographical, newspaper and other factual sources may not necessarily deprive the writer of such credit.

That is as vague as it gets.

Goyer is the ideas' man and had an input but I'm confident that the dialogue used by the actors will be from a Terrio script.

Goyer is the ideas' man and had an input but I'm confident that the dialogue used by the actors will be from a Terrio script.

Considering a few of the actors name dropped Terrio and none Goyer (Eisenberg said he meet with Terrio to discuss the character) and Batfleck named Terrio as the sole writer on two or three occasions, I think that speaks volumes really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"