DC 2006:Year in Review

I'm still positive about the Titans, although I haven't read the latest issue yet, and I'm confident about JSA. Luckily, I don't bother with Green Lantern, so I'm still positive about Johns.

I'm pretty sure on JSA myself, simply because its not going to be a teen hero factory.

All of the Johns' haters are we-todds :)

I think people who say "we-todds" are actually ******ed. REALLY ******ed.

Anyone catch the new JSA logo?It looks pretty frikkin' sweet.It's on Johns' Myspace page.

I saw it in an ad, it looks tight as hell.`

Darthphere said:
I think people who say "we-todds" are actually ******ed. REALLY ******ed.

Like Borats Brother Bilo?

It wasn't a terrible year for DC. I guess you could say that they kind of jumped the shark with some of their One Year Later jaunts. I think their shining light in 2006 has been 52, hands down. Titles such as The Flash and Nightwing really took a hard right turn down a dead end street if you ask me....basically it can only end in a horrible crash.

The Superman One Year Later arc wasn't too bad. It got me excited about the character again, but I didn't stick with the title afterward. I'm checking out Johns/Donner's run on Action Comics, and so far that was interesting so we'll see.

Batman has been really doing well through it all, if you ask me. The guy has some top creative teams on his main books, and not to mention the Batman Year 100 and Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk.

One Year Later also spawned an interesting spy/espionage book, Checkmate, which is slowly working it's way to being one of my favorite books.

It was a so-so year for DC, in my opinion. Put out great books, mediocre books, and books that made you want to send them back and ask for a refund. I think they seriously need to settle down with the killing of characters and replacing them with new ones. It was like a giant change from Infinite Crisis to halfway through 52. Once they chill out on KILLING PEOPLE hopefully things should settle down.

A good 20 days left in the year.

Superman by Busiek and Pacheco-the lateness of this book is really killing the momentum of this story, the story took a real turn last issue, so hopefully this turns out well and maintains the quality of the first 3 issues

Detective Comics by Dini and Kramer-the last issue featuring Joker and Robin was really light on story and not as intricate as Dini's 1st and 4th issue, I'm hoping to see more done in one stories with a bit more beef to them and not being so formulaic

Green Lantern by Johns and Reis-definitely in my top 5, looking forward to all the subplots blowing up as well as the big GLC vs SC story of next year, this book has it all

Teen Titans by Johns and Daniel-this is a superhero team book in every sense of the word done right, the first 2 arcs were very new reader friendly and featured some great action and a fast moving story, I'm liking the new lineup and hopefully Titans East is just as good, if not better

JLA by Meltzer and Benes-this new more character driven approach to the JLA is much needed and a breath of fresh air, Meltzer really took some liberties in stretching this book into a 6 parter, we've seen some great set-up and Meltzer has given us a reason to care about Red Tornado, hopefully he closes this arc out well

JSA by Johns and Eaglesham-great first issue which doesn't waste any time and gets the ball rolling, JLA could have easily moved this quick but whatever, this first year looks to be exciting with a crossover with the JLA and something having to do with Kingdom Come's universe, can't wait for Hawkman and Steel to join the ranks

Justice by Krueger,Braithwaite,and Ross-this book is gorgeous, the first 8 issues have done a great job of focusing on different characters and bringing it all together just before shiet his the fan, kudos to Dougie and Alex for keeping the bi-monthly schedule as it's pretty clear these guys put so much into every panel, when it's all said and done, expect this book to be not only a JLA must read, but a DC must read, this book proves that you don't have to make these timeless characters cool by changing them

All Star Superman by Morrison and Quietly-hopefully the second half of their run is just as good as the first, they've done a great job of tapping into the wonder and timelessness of Superman and giving his supporting cast new life, I just don't understand why Quietly's art takes so long, it is great to look at but 2 to 4 months between issues just doesn't justify it IMO

Things I'm looking forward to in 2007:

Brave and the Bold by Waid and Perez
Green Lantern Corps VS the Sinestro Corps
the conclusion of Justice
Titans East
Green Arrow Year One
Black Lightning Year One
Guggenheim's Flash

GNR4Life said:
Superman by Busiek and Pacheco-the lateness of this book is really killing the momentum of this story, the story took a real turn last issue, so hopefully this turns out well and maintains the quality of the first 3 issues

Dude, its coming out every 5 weeks.:huh:

Darthphere said:
Dude, its coming out every 5 weeks.:huh:

It's still late man,658 isn't even coming out until the second week of January and 657 came out like when?first or second week of November?

Actually its the first week of January, do the delays on GL and All-Star Superman bother you this much?

Darthphere said:
Actually its the first week of January, do the delays on GL and All-Star Superman bother you this much?

the delays don't bother me as much on the other titles, the reason it bugs me on this title is because I really don't see a reason for it to be late, and I don't really understand the type of story Busiek is trying to tell here, we got some great character scenes in the first 2 issues, a brawl with an alien, and then Orion shows up tell Superman he's an idiot and shows them the future.

I guess I'm just waiting for that moment that justifies everything that's happened so far.

GNR4Life said:
the delays don't bother me as much on the other titles, the reason it bugs me on this title is because I really don't see a reason for it to be late, and I don't really understand the type of story Busiek is trying to tell here, we got some great character scenes in the first 2 issues, a brawl with an alien, and then Orion shows up tell Superman he's an idiot and shows them the future.

I guess I'm just waiting for that moment that justifies everything that's happened so far.

I don't see a reason for any title to be late frankly, I just found it odd that you placed those other two notoriously late titles on your list and only mentioned the lateness on Superman affecting the flow of the comic.

In what sense? I know it's the cool thing to bash Marvel nowadays, but for every bad Marvel title, I can name a bad DC title. To me, they have been pretty damn even in terms of quality, disappointments and horrible comics.

The best of DC blows away the best of Marvel, except for Punisher MAX, which, now that I think about it, is the only thing Marvel publishes that's any good.

The Leaguer said:
The best of DC blows away the best of Marvel, except for Punisher MAX, which, now that I think about it, is the only thing Marvel publishes that's any good.

Some say the best of DC is Green Lantern, so is that really saying much?:o

I was talking about the real best, not the moronic best.

The Leaguer said:
I was talking about the real best, not the moronic best.

Sadly, morons outweigh the people with taste.

That's like saying fifty zeroes outweigh four tens. 50 x 0 < 4 x 10. Basic math.

DC has been doing things right in my say,so much so that Marvel has to play catch up,and not even doing that right.

Im looking foreward to 52 being released in a TPB form,i will definately buy it when it does come out that way.

It was a decent year for DC. Quite a few misses and disasters, but a lot of good work too. IMO a lot of the bad wasn't nearly as a bad as it's often made out to be, while a lot of the good was quite underrated, so overall the balance tilts far moreso in favor of the good. Science wins!

It's hard to compete with last year, where everything just gelled together so flawlessly and DC rolled along at a breakneck pace and it was such an exciting time to be a DC fan. Now the high is over, and we're back to normal with the normal highs and lows. Such is the way of the comicbook reader.

Just be glad we're not talking about Marvel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"