DC: New Age Volume I IC Thread

Christopher Kent

My dad used to take me to the Fortress growing up all the time. One day this will be mine he used to say. I hadn't been here since he abandoned us all.

But this was where I could reach through time and contact Jor-El, my grandfather. If my dad couldn't guide me, at least my grandfather would.

"Hello child."

"Hello grandad Jor-el."

"You have come here to find purpose. To know if I would grant you the blessing to wear the Kryptonian emblem on your chest despite being issue of the man who destroyed her."

"I..."

"Child, you are as much a part of my family as Kal-El who was born of my own blood. However, the mantle is not mine to pass on. It is his."

"But he's been gone for so long."

"He has returned."

Edward Nigma stood outside the building that acted as home to Riddler Investigations, circled by a swarm of reporters in this hastily-organised press conference.

"Riddle me this, citizens of Gotham. Why has The Batman returned? Why now, of all times? Is it because the 20th Anniversary of the Crisis that changed everything is approaching? Is it really The Batman? I'm sure you all have a lot of questions, but fortunately for you, I have the answers."

Nigma paused, striking a suitably dramatic pose as the cameras flashed.

"Question: does the world still need Batman? Allow me to answer that question with a question. Did we ever need The Batman? We managed before him, and we have managed after him. And we must remember that the world has changed now. The laws put in place by our President have made vigilantism a serious offence. Crimefighters now have to be officially deputised operatives of recognised and respected organisations: the Army, the FBI, the CIA, our esteemed police force. These are the real heroes. Superheroes may have been needed when there were supervillains, but that time has past. Most of the greatest threats to our way of life are locked up in Victor Fries' inescapable ice-prison."

There were murmurings from the crowd. It was quite clear that many didn't agree with him.

"Question: What does that make The Batman? Answer: It makes him a criminal. A sad irony, yes, but he has become what The Batman of old stood against. I have been through this before, I have seen how this turns out. You bring back Batman, and you bring back the freaks, the psychopaths, the supervillains, whatever you want to call them. Already The Joker has...miraculously woken from his decade-long trance and escaped from Arkham."

More murmurings, this time of terror. Once upon a time, The Joker was a constant threat to the safety of all Gotham's citizens. People lived in fear, going to bed praying The Joker wouldn't happen upon their quiet home...

But that had all changed. With the passage of years, The Joker had become a distant memory, a bad dream. There were children who were told stories about The Joker in the past tense, rather than by terrified parents warning against an iminent threat. People had almost forgotten about The Joker. Almost...

But now, he was back. Back on Gotham's streets. And now the terror would return.

"Question: What does it take to catch The Bat? Answer: Someone who knows him. Me. Who better than I, one of The Batman's greatest foes, to track him down? Only this time, it's me who's on the side of the law. Commissioner Gordon has enlisted me as a liason to the GCPD, and I will be helping them with my investigation. Batman..."

Nigma took off his shades, staring hard into one of the cameras, and imagining he was talking directly to Batman himself.

"...Keep your wits about you. Edward Nigma is on your trail."

Luthor sits in the Oval Office going over his speech to deliver for the 20Th Anniversary of the Darkseid War.

He then stops and realizes something....

No, no he wouldn't....he can't...not now..not when everything is going so well. If Batman has come back....how long before a certain red cape decides to make a comeback?

Lex pushes a button on his desk and moments later a man named James Walton enters the room.

He says, "Yes Mr. President."

Lex says, "James you are head of security detail and what I am about to ask you is rather unique but with the unconfirmed reports of Batman's return I am taking no chances."

He hands Walton a file and says, "I want the following defensive devices employed for me and this office understood?"

Walton says, "Yes sir Mr. President. We did what we had to do in Dallas to Steel and his colleagues and we will do it again here if we must."

Luthor nods and Walton leaves.

All-Right Alien if you decide to return I'll make sure your resurrection is very short lived.

logo_batman.gif

Midnight in Gotham City.

A time of which it's citizens fleed into their homes, and the bravest souls took cover in the shadows. Because everyone in the city knew that for the next few hours, until dawn, the city would be hell to deal with. But tonight was different. Tonight, two shadowy figures swung high above the city's streets, casting a shadow of which had not been seen for nearly two decades. Would any citizens have seen it, they probably would've cheered, or stared in wonderous awe. Instead, the city greeted them silently, which had always worked wonders for their predecessors.

Tonight, Gotham City had no more reason to fear. Just it's criminals. Because for the first time, hope was going to be restored in a familiar team of messengers. The dynamic duo.

Batman and Robin lived again.

z1.jpg

Letting go of his line, swiftly and cautiously, Batman looked to his side, watching as Robin followed suite. It was only his second night of actual field work... and the first for the boy's. Yet Batman felt as if his routine was changed entirely, by the inclusion of his younger brother. And yet... there was a clear sense, in his mind, that it was only fitting that he worked with a partner. It's what Bruce Wayne had been accustomed to, for a majority of his own career. And if John's true goal, inspiring the city with the legacy of The Dark Knight by returning him to active duty, was to be met... perhaps Robin needed to be a strong part of that.

Landing on a nearby rooftop, the pair looked out upon the city, as police sirens, car horns, and other various noises entered their focus. Turning, slightly, to the Boy Wonder at his side, Batman watched as he viewed the city with a slight wonderment, obviously new to this form of work. It was only then, that Batman smiled slightly, before turning back to view the city, and speaking to get his brother's attention.

"Alright. We're here. This is what you're in for, every night.", Batman began, sternly, making sure Robin understood every word he was saying. "The city won't be kind to you. It hasn't been to me, yet. But with time, hopefully, we can change that for good."

Leaping down, spreading his cape, Batman landed atop a gargoyle, as Robin landed next to him on one that faced his opposite side.

"Steady, Jason. Our work requires precision above action. Careful measurement. Let the city around you serve as a camoflague... become one with it."

Batman honestly didn't know if what he was saying would come off as thoughtful lesson... or complete gibberish, to Robin's still relatively untrained mind. But with any luck... he at least took in a level of seriousness about it all. Because any mistakes... any miscalculations, whatsoever, could mean certain death. Batman's cowl kept a level of uneasy dread hidden from Robin, as he realised he himself was still new at this.

So in truth... perhaps, the lessons were going to be for both men, tonight.

robinlogolb5.gif

Midnight in Gotham City.

A time of which it's citizens fleed into their homes, and the bravest souls took cover in the shadows. Because everyone in the city knew that for the next few hours, until dawn, the city would be hell to deal with. But tonight was different. Tonight, two shadowy figures swung high above the city's streets, casting a shadow of which had not been seen for nearly two decades. Would any citizens have seen it, they probably would've cheered, or stared in wonderous awe. Instead, the city greeted them silently, which had always worked wonders for their predecessors.

Tonight, Gotham City had no more reason to fear. Just it's criminals. Because for the first time, hope was going to be restored in a familiar team of messengers. The dynamic duo.

Batman and Robin lived again.

z1.jpg

Letting go of his line, swiftly and cautiously, Batman looked to his side, watching as Robin followed suite. It was only his second night of actual field work... and the first for the boy's. Yet Batman felt as if his routine was changed entirely, by the inclusion of his younger brother. And yet... there was a clear sense, in his mind, that it was only fitting that he worked with a partner. It's what Bruce Wayne had been accustomed to, for a majority of his own career. And if John's true goal, inspiring the city with the legacy of The Dark Knight by returning him to active duty, was to be met... perhaps Robin needed to be a strong part of that.

Landing on a nearby rooftop, the pair looked out upon the city, as police sirens, car horns, and other various noises entered their focus. Turning, slightly, to the Boy Wonder at his side, Batman watched as he viewed the city with a slight wonderment, obviously new to this form of work. It was only then, that Batman smiled slightly, before turning back to view the city, and speaking to get his brother's attention.

"Alright. We're here. This is what you're in for, every night.", Batman began, sternly, making sure Robin understood every word he was saying. "The city won't be kind to you. It hasn't been to me, yet. But with time, hopefully, we can change that for good."

Leaping down, spreading his cape, Batman landed atop a gargoyle, as Robin landed next to him on one that faced his opposite side.

"Steady, Jason. Our work requires precision above action. Careful measurement. Let the city around you serve as a camoflague... become one with it."

Batman honestly didn't know if what he was saying would come off as thoughtful lesson... or complete gibberish, to Robin's still relatively untrained mind. But with any luck... he at least took in a level of seriousness about it all. Because any mistakes... any miscalculations, whatsoever, could mean certain death. Batman's cowl kept a level of uneasy dread hidden from Robin, as he realised he himself was still new at this.

So in truth... perhaps, the lessons were going to be for both men, tonight.

"Yessir, I will become one with the city."

While John looks around, I put the right lens in my mask to use. It's red, sort of a tribute to my mother who has an eyepatch. The broadsword strapped to my back is another kind of tribute. I know how to use it, so why not use it? The red lense shows me thermals through a nearby warehouse. Looks like some thugs are loading a bunch of crates onto a truck.

"Holy Hijinks, Batman!"

John shoots me a curious look as I shrug my shoulders.

"Sorry, I was lost in the moment....umm, anyway. From what I can see, some folks are having a party down there. Wanna crash it?"

"Do you know what a conundrum is, Wilson?"

As they made their way into Crime Alley, Edward Nigma's lumbering henchman - packed uncomfortably into a cheap suit like some kind of shaven ape - considered the question. He smacked his oversized club of a hand against the side of his head in a mockery of the thinker scratching his chin, before offering up his measured response.

"Uh....con a what?"

Nigma sighed, wondering why he hired such idiots.

"Conundrum: 1. A riddle in which a fanciful question is answered by a pun. 2. A paradoxical, insoluble, or difficult problem; a dilemma. While I'm very much a fan of the former... which reminds me, Wilson: What is black and white and read all over?"

"..."

"I thought so. Anyway, while I'm very much a fan of the former, the situation which we are currently presented with very much falls into the latter category. Question: What lies in Crime Alley? Answer: The past..."

Wilson was totally baffled now. It wasn't just a nickname. A lot of the time, his employer really did speak in riddles, it seemed. But it was all crystal clear to Nigma. He knew the significance of this place. He knew that it was the place Batman was born.

Wincing in pain, The Riddler crouched down on the filthy ground, leaning heavily on his cane for support. He closed his eyes, imagined he was a child. A terrified, helpless child, trapped in this stinking, filth-ridden Gotham side street, faced with death. He imagined his parents lying by his side, dead. He imagined the gunman pointing the gun at his head, preparing to finish the job.

"I'm afraid."

"There ain't no need to be scared, boss. I gotta gun..."

"I wasn't talking to you, Neanderthal, I was talking to myself. Hush!"

The gunman may has well have pulled the trigger. It was this moment that Bruce Wayne died. It was this moment that he became Batman. He extended his hand, and Wilson helped him up to his feet.

"It's fear that drives him. The Batman. He is afraid, and wants to make others share his dread. That's the reason for the cape and the cowl. That's who we're looking for now. Someone who's expereinced loss and heartbreak, someone who has been confronted with terror from a young age. We're looking for a man who is afraid."

That didn't narrow things down much. This was Gotham City.

Everyone is afraid...

freezebannerzk1.jpg

The image of Victor Fries lay distorted through the hanging icicles that adorned the basement’s ceiling in this most unique of prisons. Due to his revolutionary technologies, Luthor had given him virtually endless resources in this museum of frozen law-breakers.

In a beaker, fluid hissed and steamed, producing heat the very structures themselves warped and morphed into hideous genetic versions of their former selves. The first warmth his hands had felt for some time.

“Interesting.”

Lifting the glass up to his less than receptive company.

“Surprised me, how about you?”

Trapped within a man-made glacier, unawares of everything, fixated eyes stared out into nothingness.

“Exactly what I thought. But how would flash frozen cells react to it?”

Even the air seemed frozen and silent, deathly still.

“Of course, why didn’t I think of that?! I can compensate for cell size by using infra-red. Brilliant, the heating using only part of the spectrum would allow enough warmth for it to bind, without fear of damage! You’re a genius!”

Placing a few vials into a complex system of tubes and siphoning devices, he returned to his central hub.

“And to cap off one masterpiece, another would seem befitting…”

Fingers slowly caressing hardened white keys, the bellowing melody permeated throughout the structure as it grew to it’s perfectly crafted crescendo.

signia.png

Hal Jordan
Part IV

The words struck him harder than anything he'd ever felt before, 'Ollie's dieing Hal.. he needs you', Hal felt the phone break in his hand and dropped it to the floor, he knew exactly what he needed to do now. He grabbed his coat, threw it on and floored it until he reached Star City, he and Ollie hadn't spoken in years, after D-Day they had never been the same again; Hal had always felt responsible for their friendship falling apart, they used to be like brothers.. When Darksied attacked nobody out there fought harder than Green Arrow, Ollie was an inspiration to him, he was like a brother, he'd do anything for him. Now he found himself standing outside a hospital room looking at the weak frame that once housed the muscular and jovial Green Arrow, a shadow of his former self, he still flirted with the nurses and reached for one of their bottoms. Hal smiled and opened the hospital door, Ollie's eyes opened wide and he jumped from his bed and hugged Hal, sobbing silently on his shoulder; JC ran in and Ollie stepped back, wiping the tears from his eyes and smiling broadley.​

"How in the hell did you manage to get that ugly mutt in here? Jeez, i'm not allowed to eat anything other than that crap out of a tube and you get that filthy thing in and no-one even bats and eye-lid?"

"Well... I guess you could say I know some people.."

"Oh right.. you know people do you? Pfft.. I used to be Mayor of this damned city and you're more connected than I am"

"Damn right.. Look, I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier.. Dinah called me last night, I got here as soon as I could.. You know I never wanted our fri-"

"Don't worry about it, I'm just as much to blame as you are.. But heck.. Dinah's been my rock Hal, I don't know if I'd of lasted so long without her.."

olhal.jpg

Hal smiled and the two sat down on the bed, you wouldn't think that two men with so little in common would be such close friends, but they were. They had known each other for decades, been through thick and thin together, Hal felt guilty that when Ollie needed him the most he was nowhere to be found, no matter how much his friend tried to assure him it wasn't his fault.. it made no difference. The JLA had been through alot over their time, fought off just about every single danger in the universe, but it looked like this was one battle Green Arrow couldn't win; Jordan had a talk with one of the nurses before he came in, she told him Ollie didn't have long left, he couldn't bear to think what he'd do without him.​

"So when're you gonna' get better, old boy? You better not go dieing on me.."

"Heh.. I'm not making any promises, but i've beaten tougher enemies than testicular cancer before.. can't say any of them cost me a ball though.."

"Should do you some good, you old dog.. You always did have too much testosterone, where's Connor?"

There was an odd silence before he answered the question, Hal knew straight away something was wrong, he didn't need his ring to tell him that. Ollie sighed and looked up at the sky, he reached for Hal's hand and looked him deep in the eyes.​

"Would ya' believe me if I told you I didn't know?"

"Last I heard he'd taken up the mantle full time, right?"

"Yeah.. my boy done my proud, he always has, can't argue with that. But.. I haven't heard from him in a long time, I think.. Hal.. I think he's in trouble"

"How long are we talking about?"

"Two years.. and I... you know.. I don't wanna leave without him, I tried to do right by him, he always was a good lad. But.. I don't think I can.."

Hal nodded and stood up, he took a burger from his pocket and threw it to his old pal, who licked his lips widely and bit into it. Hal whistled and JC ran to his side, he opened the hospital door and smiled and his old friend, he'd do whatever it took to make his friend happy; even if that meant Hal had to travel to the other side of the world, he would do it. No matter if he had to die trying, he would.. He wouldn't let Ollie go out unhappy, heck.. he wouldn't let Ollie go out at all. He knew what he had to do and God knows he was going to do it.​

"Alright Ollie.. I give you my word, I'll find your boy"

Ollie smiled, it was common knowledge to almost everyone that had every met Hal Jordan; if he tells you he'll do something, he'll find or way. Ollie wasn't sure whether his son was alive, dead, in a coma or in prison.. but he knew that Hal would find out, he felt warm inside for the first time in years, but he also felt a fear creep over him.. what if Connor was dead? What if Hal couldn't find him? What if Hal died trying? Could he deal with that on his conscience?.. He heard Hal's motorbike speed off outside, slowly closing his eyes with a smile smile and whispered quietly.​

"God-speed Jordan.. God-speed"

Smallville Kent farm:

Clark lay in his bed thinking of himself, 20 years since he had slept in this bed normally he would just say hello to his mother then go to Metropolis and that was it. But Clark was changing, so was the world. In two days it would be 20 years since D-day the end of the Apocalypse war, the near destruction of the world.

Till then it was the normal things for the heroes, the line between heroes and villains were drawn. Now, there are no differences, Metamorpho was in Mr.Freeze’s prison now with villains like Dr. Light.

The world was nearly united and everything was kept tight, the war in Zimbabwe and the collapse of China’s economy were little to the rest of the world compared to the A.V.A’s control on things.

The world was an extremely different place now, Freedom and safety were meaningless, for protection you get hired soldiers patrolling the streets of cities and even villages.

But what hurt Clark most? How no one was inspired, People already think the new Batman is dead or a nut case.

It all came back to what Clark said to himself earlier.

The world needs a hero.

Clark got out of his bed, slightly he hovered across the room, He put on his jeans and shoes.

Then he noticed something; it gave a smile his old glasses.

He reached over to hold them, He put them on.

Still fits.

He said laughing to himself.

He went down stairs and outside to the farm, He looked all around it, rembering the first time he flew.

He then started jogging, Soon his speed started speeding up, then again and again. In a few seconds he was in the other side of the farm.

All of a sudden jumping into the air and floating, Clark then sped his way, Flying quickly past Smallville in a matter of seconds he was out of Kansas and in Colorado in seconds, He smiled. He had done this before.

He flew around high above Colarado slowly in a relaxing manner, He had all the time in world, He flew around space for years he had plenty of relaxation. But still he hadn’t been in contact with human life for years.

But Clark’s relaxation was not to last.

“FREEZE! YOU ARE DISOBEYING THE A.V.A. CHARTER 187.3 NO META HUAMN ABILITY FOR YOUR USE, FLY DOWN NOW AND GO TO YOUR LOCAL POLICE STATION TO RESCIEVE YOUR SENTENCE, IF YOU DO NOR I WILL BE FORCED TO USE LETHAL FORCE.”

Clark turned around to see an A.V.A. drone made from Lex Corp; He simply used his heat vision before it could confirm anything.

He sighed at what the world had come to.

He turned around and flew straight back to Smallville.

Walton hands Lex a "new" cane with a horse's head as the handle and says, "This has been designed with the the specifics that you requested Mr. President."

Lex takes the cane and presses a button on the underneath of the handle. The horse's head opens revealing a carat of green kryptonite. He presses another button and the eyes open revealing red kryptonite. Lex presses one more button and the rivets on the side reveal gold kryptonite.

He smiles and says, "Excellent Mr. Walton, tell me the filters on the windows and the infared filters in the room are they on-line?"

Walton puts on his dark glasses and says, "As you wished Mr. President. You have nothing to worry in here. Anyone from Krypton comes in here they may as well prepare for their final exit."

Luthor nods and says, "As always James your work is above and beyond the call of duty. The deposit will be made in your account by the end of the day, and take next week off. Use the "company plane" say you are taking it out for it's maintence flight."
Walton and Luthor shake hands and they part company.

Christopher Kent

I ran back to Smallvilles. Flying was my dad's thing, and while I was able to do it (and as some would say, even better at it than my dad, himself) i prefered to keep my feet on the ground.

I arrived back at the farm to a smiling grandmother.

"You just missed him," she said.

I don't know what I was feeling. Relief? Anguish? How did I feel now that he was back. And why hasn't he tried to find me?

"Do you have any pie grandmama?"

Red Arrow
Michael Hawke sat in his room at University. He was thinking. Thinking of what he was going to do. Today he realised he couldn't be Red Arrow and go to University. Today he had to make a choice. The suit, or his education.

It was 9:00pm and his roommate just left to go to the library to study. He had just slipped on his red leather trousers and his scarlet short-sleeved top. He put on his mask bragged his bow and arrows and jumped out the window.

He fired a grappling hook arrow and swmung round onto a roof. He thought better when he was crime-fighting. Maybe that meant something. Maybe he was meant to be a crime-fighter.

He was a bout to leap onto the next building when a light shone fin front of him and he was knocked back by a flash of light. In front of him stood Dr Light...

drlight3.jpg

"Shiny. But you're gonna wish you picked on somebody who isn't gonna thow yah in jail!" smiled Michael.
"Humourous, but not very good, for your last words!" laughed Dr Light.

Michael dodged another bolt of light and fired three explosive arrows directly into Dr Light's chest knocking Light over. Light stumbled up and disappeared from sight.

"I knew I was too good for yah!" laughed Michael. It was obvious to him now. Being a superhero was more important to him. he ran back to university and began to pack his bags...

MEMORIES ~ Part 1

The figure zoomed through the Keystone City streets, coming to a stop at the rebuilt Flash Museum. It had been destroyed during the cities occupation all those years ago, but, when the war was over, it was one of the first structures to be rebuilt.
Standing outside the building on either side were two gigantic bronze statues, one depicting Jay Garrick, the original Flash, and the other one a tribute another of the cities greatest heroes, Wally West, the Flash.

Gazing at the statues smiling faces, tears began to well up in the eyes of the man in the scarlet uniform.

My name is Barry West...I'm the Flash, the Fastest Man Alive. But it didn't always be this way...

My dad, Wally, was the greatest hero I've ever known. Despite being a full time member of the Justice League and a night time mechanic for the KCPD, he always had time for his family. He was always there for Iris and me. When our powers manifested, he taught us how to use them properly. Iris was a quick learner. Unfortunately, I wasn't.

I was a cocky sixteen year old who thought of the hero business as one big game instead of the serious life and death struggle it really is. Luckily, dad and Iris were always there to help keep me grounded and my mind focused. Dad used to always say I reminded him too much like Bart when he was my age...and he didn't say it like it was a good thing. I was thick headed though and just shrugged it all off. I lived in the moment, carefree and always trusting that dad and Iris would be there to catch me if I fell.

That all changed on D-Day, the day Darkseid came...

The war he made on the planet was terrible. It was the most frightening thing I had ever seen, and I hope to God that nobody ever has to witness destruction and cruelty on that level ever again, anywhere. For months we battled against the forces of Apokolips. Many heroes, those with powers and those regular folks who took up arms to defend their homes, died in the war. My moral began to crumble, the once arrogant Barry was being taken apart piece by piece. I forced to grow up during those months and the horrors I witnessed. But none so horrible as the day we returned to the Twin Cities to liberate them from Darkseid's forces who had taken control of them a week earlier.

Already small seeds that would grow into fire pits were being planted, and most of the surviving populace had been enslaved with collars designed by Granny Goodness, and were forced to build monument and war machines for Darkseid. There were a dozen of us heroes along with two battalions of Marines who attacked that day. I remember my father leading the heroes into battle...Jay was there, along with my sister and me...Bart and his Titan friends, Cyborg and Beast Boy joined up...Katana, Jesse Quick, Animal Man, Faith, and Hourman also jumped at the chance to pay back Darkseid's minions for what they've done.

Those of us who ride the lightning, we made our way throughout the city destroying the slave collars and freeing the minds of the remaining populace. They immediately grabbed what they could and began to fight back against their oppressors. Even the Rogues, who had gone into hiding when the Twin Cities fell to the invaders, appeared and fought along side the heroes. Seeing all this transpire around me, that's when I realized it. We weren't just fighting to liberate Keystone and Central, we were fighting for our right to survive, to exist. And if you give the human race proper motivation to defend itself, it's a scary, awe-inspiring thing to witness.

The battle was fierce. Many heroes, both metas and Marines, died that day, but, for every one that fell, two parademons fell with them. It was clear we were pushing them back. Then he showed up. I remember seeing Katana incinerated before my eyes by the man Darkseid placed in charge of the Twin Cities, Mantis. He was terror to see. So much power in such an evil creature - he could level the entire city if he wanted to - we knew we had to take him down and do it quickly. Us heroes and a few of the Rogues converged on him, but Mantis just laughed us off. He tore the Trickster in half and used his legs to beat Hourman to a pulp. It took all I had to keep from throwing up at the sight of it. Eventually my dad had seen enough.

I had been knocked a few blocks away from one of Mantis' backhands, and Iris was tending to me when my dad and Jay ran up. The look in his eyes as he looked at us...I'll never forget that. As if all the love in all the universe was focused in his eyes and it was radiating out on to us. Corny, I know, but that's how it felt. But, hidden behind the love was sadness. I didn't understand it at the time - especially after having my bell rung - but, my father looked at the two of us, put his arms around us and hugged us as tighter as he ever had before.

"I love you guys", he said as he tried to keep his voice from cracking, "You two have been the greatest part of my life, and I'm so proud of you two. No matter what happens, I'll always and forever love you. I want you to remember that."

Then he held us in the embrace for a second more, which to us speedster seemed like an eternity, and then stood back up and turned to Jay, his face a mask of determination.

"Let's do it."

Jay nodded, and turned to us and smiled the classic, warm-hearted smile Grandpa Jay still wore, despite Joan's death weeks before in the initial stages of the war, "Goodbye, Barry, Iris. You two have been one of the things that have kept me going since Joan died, and I'll miss you. I want you to know that I love you two, and I know that you'll do your father proud."

And, in a flash, they were gone...

MEMORIES ~ Part 2

Iris tried to run after them, but Bart was there to hold her down.

"Let go of, dammit", she screamed, tears welling up in her eyes.

Bart didn't say anything. He just held her firm and did his best to cover his own tears.
Frustrated, she called out to me,
"Barry, do something! Stop them!"

I heard the words, but they seemed to come from far away. She was begging me to do something, to stop dad and Jay, and God knows I wanted to stop them too.
But, for the first time in my life, I couldn't move. I don't know whether it was fear, or shock, or whatever...but, for the life of me, I was frozen.

"All I could do was watch, Dad", Barry spoke aloud in the night air as tears ran down his cheek, "while you made the ultimate sacrifice."

Seeing you run that day filled me with pride and dread. Pride because, even though I knew it before, my father was showing the world why he was the greatest hero.
Dread because I knew that this will be my last memory of you. That I'd never hear you yell at me to do my chores. That I'd never be able to go to anymore Combines games with you, and celebrate when they won. That you'd never be there to see me graduate.

And all the while I was frozen.

Seeing you and Jay streak like bolts of lightning towards Mantis as the monster was about to finish off Hourman.
Before Mantis could even start the finishing blow on Rick, the two of you grabbed him and started to run. Faster and faster you went until you were out of sight. At that moment, when you disappeared from view, the fear, if that's what it was, left me.

And I was no longer frozen.

I took off running after you two. Bart began to open his mouth to say something, but I was already gone. At first I thought I had lost you, but soon I saw the glow. It was so bright, dad.
Like the sun itself had come down to Earth.

I picked up speed and world faded from view around me, and it was like I was running in a tunnel of energy. I had never gone that fast before then, and I haven't since. But I was determined to catch up with you, no matter what.

You and Jay came into view, and I could see the two of you struggling with that monster, Mantis. Then you and Jay started to fade away, as did Darkseid's lackey.

I was close now, close enough to where you heard me when I called out to you above the energy around us that crackled like lightning strikes. You turned around and saw me, a mix of panic and regret on your face.

"Barry", you yelled, "what are you doing here!?"

I remember I was crying then, and I told you that I wouldn't let you do it. I couldn't let you.

Then you reached out your hand towards me.

"I'm sorry, son, but this isn't your time. You've got to take care of your mother and your sister for me, Barry. Remember, I'll always be with you Barry. Goodbye..."

And then you performed your final act on this Earth...you took my speed away from me.

As I stumbled and fell, the world coming back into focus around me, I saw an image that I will always remember. You smiled at me, a smile of love and warmth. A smile that both lifted my spirit and crushed my heart.

And then, in a flash, you were gone forever...

logo_batman.gif

batmanzo5.jpg

Before Robin could even finish the sentence, Batman had already descended, the minute the crime had caught his attention. This was Jason's first night of field work... and only John's second, in truth, even though he had spent months in preparation beforehand, taking to the streets in makeshift clothing... testing what made the criminals of Gotham City afraid. But the truth was... the faster Batman was, and the harder he worked, the slimmer the chance that anything would happen to Jason at all.

So in an instant, the criminals looked up to see a fierce figure, seemingly dropping out of the dark skies above, a barely recongisable cape and cowl giving off the impression of vicious horns and terrifying wings. It was the look on their faces that told Batman all he needed to know: He was what made the criminals of Gotham City afraid.

"Having fun?", He growled, landing atop a battered and vandalised car on the streets infront, his cape draping upon it.

"JESUS!", One exclaimed, alarmed. "He really is back! No %^&@ing way!"

"Who cares?!", Another yelled, pulling out a firearm from his jacket. "He's still not bulletproof!"

Though they couldn't see it, under the darkness that draped over his face as a result of the cowl... A smirk lied upon Batman's face, at the statement. These clowns were about to be unpleasantly surprised.

"Waste h- ...ACK!"

Even before the trigger was pulled, a Batarang sliced itself into the thug's forearm, hitting a precise vein and ceasing movement in the hand. By the time the gun fell to the ground, seconds later, the thug was already halfway unconcious by the brutal attack Batman had seized, in the opprotuned moment.

There was a saying that Dinah Lance had taught him, years before... about even in the rush of hostile situation, your best friend can be a steady composure and a clear mind, even if you're seconds away from your last thought of mind. John really didn't understand that, back then, as he had never faced any situation of hostility.

Now?

He fully agreed. And it felt good to know.

logo_batman.gif

batmanzo5.jpg

Before Robin could even finish the sentence, Batman had already descended, the minute the crime had caught his attention. This was Jason's first night of field work... and only John's second, in truth, even though he had spent months in preparation beforehand, taking to the streets in makeshift clothing... testing what made the criminals of Gotham City afraid. But the truth was... the faster Batman was, and the harder he worked, the slimmer the chance that anything would happen to Jason at all.

So in an instant, the criminals looked up to see a fierce figure, seemingly dropping out of the dark skies above, a barely recongisable cape and cowl giving off the impression of vicious horns and terrifying wings. It was the look on their faces that told Batman all he needed to know: He was what made the criminals of Gotham City afraid.

"Having fun?", He growled, landing atop a battered and vandalised car on the streets infront, his cape draping upon it.

"Who cares?!", Another yelled, pulling out a firearm from his jacket. "He's still not bulletproof!"

Though they couldn't see it, under the darkness that draped over his face as a result of the cowl... A smirk lied upon Batman's face, at the statement. These clowns were about to be unpleasantly surprised.

"Waste h- ...ACK!"

Even before the trigger was pulled, a Batarang sliced itself into the thug's forearm, hitting a precise vein and ceasing movement in the hand. By the time the gun fell to the ground, seconds later, the thug was already halfway unconcious by the brutal attack Batman had seized, in the opprotuned moment.

There was a saying that Dinah Lance had taught him, years before... about even in the rush of hostile situation, your best friend can be a steady composure and a clear mind, even if you're seconds away from your last thought of mind. John really didn't understand that, back then, as he had never faced any situation of hostility.

Now?

"What the..."

Still in Crime Alley, Edward Nigma heard the sound of commotion nearby. Muffled shouts and screams, and a round of gunfire. He limped as fast as he could in the direction of the noise.

"Wilson, follow me! We could be even closer to The Batman than I thought..."

Luthor reads the latest intellegence reports from Gotham and shakes his head slowly as Amanda Waller waits for a response.

Luthor says, "This is not the original Batman. I don't know who he is but I went head to cowl with that pointed ear freak more than once."

Waller says, "That maybe so sir, but this one can still do just as much damage and be as much of nusiance as the original."

Luthor replies, "Agreed, with that in mind deploy the black ops units to Gotham. Shoot on-sight and shoot to kill. If it is wearing a costume...kill it."

She nods and leaves.

robinlogolb5.gif

batmanzo5.jpg

"Waste h- ...ACK!"

Now?

I follow John, cutting a back flip in mid air just because I can.

"Konichiwa, B*****!"

John throws his Batarangs while I toss out a few modified for me. I call them Robinrangs. Crappy, I know. But still.

"I guess you lame brained goons haven't got the memo yet."

I kick one of the crminals in the chest and he flys into one of his partners. They stumble back, giving me enough time to remove my broadsword and hold it at a defensive stance.

"Gotham once again belong to The Dark Knight and Boy Wonder."

Metropolis. The "Big Apricot." An obvious reference to the city's heratige, as while the architecture was inspired by the famous German film of the same name, the city plan and layout was taken directly from that of Metropolis' elder sister, New York. None could truely argue that New Troy is anuthing but Manhatten's bastard child, or that Suicide Slum isn't a second Harlem. However, regardless of the unorigionality of it's layout, Metropolis remains a cultural, financial, and industrial jewel amung America's many great cities. It's retro, art deco meets Flash Gordon meets Moebius architecture remains unique to this day, and serves as safe harbour for those tired of the shiny, modern look of today's cities. Great artists and their great works of art have sprung from Metropolis, including the famed yet reclusive jounalist and novelist Clark Kent. It's conbtributions to the sciences are numerous, from being the birthplace of Lexcorp and S.T.A.R. Labs, to being where Dr. John Irons, public face of modern day engineering and steelworks, calls his home. Metropolis has one of the few true communities of scientists, with it's own culture full of passion and creativity that is unique amung the cold sterility of modern day scientific persuits. Metropolis is a godsend, a testament to the American dream, born from the imagination of a mad genius and built with the hard work and enginuity of the average American.

Tonight, it will burn.

But I'm getty a bit ahead of myself, aren't I?

Emanuel Lopez, a driver of a street cleaner, was the first to notice it. At five in the morning, he was driving his cleaner down Topaz Lane. Upon arriving in Glenmorgan Square, he saw it: A large, silvery metal sarcophagus, large enough to fit two people, standing in the dead center of the square. Unsure of what it might be, he called the police. Naturally, they sent a team over to investigate. The object was obviously quite thick, and made of something like Titanium, as they couldn't even dent it. It refused all atempts to scan it's insides, and was far too heavy to move. All they could discern was that it was not a bomb. By four in the afternoon, they were about to give up for the day and simply leave it there.

But then a panel upened up on the front of it, revealing the streen.

And on the screen, there was a count down.

Two hours.

At the time, no one knew exactly what would happen when the timer hit zero, but they all imagined the worst.

Of course, what was to come was far, far worse than anything they imagined.

Michael Hawke was in his costume wearing his motrobike helmet and riding his scarlet motorbike through the streets of Star City. he had packed his bags as soon as the Dean said he could go. He still had to explain to his Dad, but he was sure that he'd understand...if he knew that he was Red Arrow that is.

Michael turned the corner and looked through his visor at a black car trundling up behind him. A man wearing a black suit and sunglasses opened the window and put his head out of the window. He smiled then pulled out a uzi from inside and began to fire at Michael.

Michael swerved over to the side of the road, almost on the pavement. The bullets bounced off the bumpy road and Michael decided to ride into the junkyard.

He rode through the gaps made, zooming past the junk. The black car swerved round the corner into the junkyard. To Michael's left was a pile of tyres. He fired out a boxing glove arrow knicking the tyres down and getting in the path of the black car.

The man in the suit tucked his head back in. As the passenger began to roll up the window, Michael shot in a tear gas arrow. he watched the car swerve and swerve, bursting it's way through tyres until it did a sharp turn and rolled over. Michael stopped is bike and got off. he threw off his helmet and ran to the upside down car.

He opened the passenger door to find the passenger unconcious, with a broken arm. Michael took him out of the car and rested him down on the ground. he went to the driver's side, to find blood rippling down his forehead. Michael pulled him out, and pulled out a phone from his belt around his waist. He called an ambulance, and found in an instant, an ambulance swerved round the corner. The back doors were kicked open to reveal 8 men in black suits with sunglasses, all holding a uzi each.

Michael dived to the ground as bullets fired out hitting his bike and exploding it and his stuff. Michael jumped up with his bow raised and pulled out an EMP arrow.
"You are gonna regret that! You blew up my stuff AND my bike!" growled Michael and ran into the group of men...

The Special Crimes Unit, the SWAT team, and several dozen regular officerse stand around the large metalic object, with ten minutes left on the clock. The national guard has been called in, but it is doubtful that they'll get there in time. The entire area has been evacuated, say for the aformentioned polive force.

At the five minute mark, everyone readies themselves. Guns are loaded and pointed at the thing. Tensions are high as the entire city holds it's breath.

At three minutes, the national guard are within sight of the city.

At one minute, most of the major news networks begin to turn thier attention to Metropolis.

Thirty seconds.

Ten.

Five.

The clock hits zero. And, to everyone's surprise....nothing happens. The screen shuts off, and that's it. The police stay in possition for a few more minutes, and then slowly start to lower thier guard. It seems that the device was nothing more than an elaborate prank.

They've already begun to whisper amung themselves, when they hear the ringing. It starts of as small. Barely noticeble. Soon, they realize that it isn't an external sound. More like a sharp pain in thier heads. The ringing gets louder, and louder, and louder, and finally cuts off as the sarcophagus slowly opens. A white smoke emits from it, obscuring the contents from view.

Suddenly, a mass of multi colored protoplasm shoots forth, engulfing everything in it's path. Almost simultaniously, the ringing returns, this time like a thousand tone dead banshees singing the greatest hits of the '80s in thier heads. The protoplasm grows at an alarming pace, swallowing people whole. 26 people die almost instantly. They are the lucky ones. Those only touched by the protoplasm scream in agony as their skin burns and melts. Some go blind. Some suffocate. Some go mad. And the worst is yet to come. Aftere barey 30 seconds of mindless carnage, the torrent ceaces. The protoplasm receads, and shrinks into a large puddle.

And then the puddle grows, and shapes itself into the form of a man. The man floats into the air, and silently surveys the chaos he has wrought. Soon enough, the sound of his voice draws the survivors' attention to an all too familiar sight.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Boys and Girls of all ages! I am proud to announce to you, the adoring public..."

Jokerrequestcontinued.jpg

"...that the King, has returned. Heh."

Waller buzzes Luthor's phone and says, "The Black Ops unit just left for Gotham with shoot on-sight orders."

He says, "I assume they are going for the kill shot?"

She replies, "Wouldn't have it any other way."

He smirks and says, "Excellent, no prisoners to interogate or any of that non-sense. Once the Bat and his ilk are out of the way it's back to business as usual for us."

Waller asks, "Is your speech ready?"

Lex replies, "Just about. Figure the speech will be a good time to emphasis the importance of the A-V-A. Keep me posted."

He hangs up the phone.

freezebannerzk1.jpg

Outside the prison, rain had fell, sun had shone, but the temperature remained unchanging within the solid walls.

The only link to the external world was the occasional new prisoner, the odd phone call from Lex Luthor and a brief spell of watching television, something which Victor Fries let occupy a minimal amount of his time.

It had been a while since the screen had stirred at all, A cold blue hand clasped the remote and awoke the piece of sleeping technology, bringing up a most haunting image from the news.

“No, how?”

The following array of words and images swept past his perception as he considered this unlikely event.

“It would seem my plans would require a more hasty application.”

Turning away and heading back down to his private basement, the newsreel continued.

“Return of the batman?”

OCC: Previously...
aquaman_logo.jpg

Owen walks down one of the many hallways in the palace, and Cerdian happens to spot him as he does. He calls out to Owen, but Owen acts as if Cerdian was a ghost. He continues to ignore him until Cerdian sprints forth, grabbing Owen by the arm.

"Owen, why didn't you look back or answer when I called?"

"He thinks I hate him. He--"

"Who does?"

"My father."

The two continue to slowly walk down the hall and Cerdian sighs a bit as he places his hands within his pockets. He looks over at Owen, who just looks down at his feet as he walks.

"He doesn't think you hate him, Owen."

"Yes he does. I know he does. I--"

"Well, you cannot really blame him, can you?"

Owen stops, and looks over at Cerdian finally, and Cerdian stops as well. He turns, crosses his arms, and raises his eyebrow.

"Come on, man. You completely negate his very presence. You do to him, what you are starting to do to everyone it seems."

"So your dad talked to you, eh?"

"Yea...he did. And I'm not going to lie to you, or try to be discreet about it like I know he wants me to do, but...he's worried about you man. We all are."

"I can take care of myself."

Owen starts to walk away, and again Cerdian sighs. But he doesn't give up just yet. Before Owen is able to make a turn at the end of the hallway, again he calls out to him.

"So you want to go it alone, huh? You really won't tell me what's eating you, will you? Not even if I swore to you I wouldn't tell me father."

Owen stops and turns his head to the side.

"Nope."

And he turns into the next hallway. As he walks down this hallway, he finds it more crowded. Not crowded by common folk, or servants, or anything of that type...but crowded with guards. Down this hallway leads to the great Archives, where most importantly of all, the forbidden text is held. Within that great room, lies the Atlantean Chronicles.

Once a legacy, that was passed down from generation to generation, friend to friend, ally to ally, as long as they were dependable...now has been cut off. Just a few months after the construction of the great magical outer dome was when King Orin had the last chronicler hand over the pen and paper. It was then, that the history of the Atlantean people was locked away, never to be read or written again. Just like the great construction of the dome, however...the Atlantean Chronicles were hereby forbidden just months after his mother's death.

But that hasn't stopped Owen. No. A few days ago was the first time the great books and chapters of the Atlantean chronicles were opened. It was also the first time Owen found himself stricken with true pain. After glancing a chapter, foretelling a tale about a hero visiting a woman from another world, and falling in love, did Owen's first tear shed. Before Vulko's death, he and Garth would tell stories as a child to entertain Owen.

Little did he know, these stories were actually events that took place in reality, just about 30 or so years ago when they were much younger. Owen recognized the chapter in the chronicles that he read, because it was the first time his father and mother met. There was even an illustration provided on the last page, of a beautiful, oranged haired woman, with green eyes, having herself wrapped around a strong, handsome, blonde haired man's arms. The description depicted that it was a picture taken many years later, showing how long their love lasted.

The image would never leave Owen's mind. He never saw his mother before...only as a baby before she died. But his mind was weak, and his eyes weary. He could not clearly picture her. So today he knew what he had to do. While he had not planned to, he found himself in this hall. The Atlanteans have never been true believers of any one type of faith...but that doesn't mean they do not believe in the gods or fate itself. Owen feels compelled to go back into the archives and re-read that chapter...just so he can see his mother again. He wishes he could forever look at that picture, never having to let it go.

AquamanCv33.jpg

aquaman_logo.jpg

Owen never entered the archives that day. While his emotions were telling him to, his rational thinking told him otherwise. What he seeked could not be simply read in a book, no matter how historically accurate it may be with its fine figurative language and detail. His sources were limited, but not all gone. Finally summoning up the courage, Owen decides to approach his father, refusing to not be heard. For too long the whisper of his mother's name would call his father to shut down. For too long the outer dome had kept Owen locked inside his own kingdom, no more free than a criminal in the dungeon.

Owen walks into the throne room, as he spots his father standing in the balcony, looking over his kingdom. His steps are silent, and his breath is steady, yet still his father is aware of his presence.

"Garth tells me that you are no longer seeing that girl? A shame, I liked her."

"...You know, for a guy I always look at as my favorite and only uncle...he's been telling just about everybody and their mother--uh...you know what I mean."

Orin smiles. It seems that these few words alone are more that's been said between the two than ever before for quite a while. He doesn't question this sudden interest in conversation, he merely embraces the opportunity to try to reconnect with his son as Garth suggested.

"That's funny, because so many times he was like a son to me. And then there were times he was like a brother to me. I see he's playing the role of both big brother and uncle very well. So what was this one's name again?"

"Lori."

"Redhead? Blonde? Brunette? You never exactly introduce your girlfriends to me or invite them over for dinner."

"Introduce you? You're the King of Atlantis!"

Again Orin finds himself smirking, and turns around, now facing his son. He crosses his arms, trying to hold back his laughter at the way Owen responded. It reminds Orin of when he was younger. Owen was always snapping back with what was before, cute, now smart alec comebacks. And just as all those years ago, Orin gave Owen back the same look in response.

"...she was a redhead. Guess I share my father's weakness. Who could blame me?"

Orin's smile quickly fades, and he walks over to his throne. He stops, lowers himself into his chair, and sighs.

"...who could blame you."

There is an odd tension in the room, and Owen feels the worst for bringing up anything even close to reminding his father of Mera. But as he thinks about it, it was a good thing. He almost got caught up in talking with his father again, that he almost forgot why he came. He walks over to his dad, and pulls up a chair from the side, sitting down. He puts his hand on his dad's shoulder. And then, he goes for it.

"Dad...please tell me something about mom. Anything. Please. Don't...Don't walk away this time. Don't shut me out. It's all you've been doing...and it's all I've been doing."

logo_batman.gif

DetectiveComics822.jpg

Batman payed little attention to Robin's quips, or his comments, as the fight continued. He only maintained a focus on Jason's ability to defend himself. Taking out a line from his belt, Batman tossed it at one of the nearest thugs, and tugged, wrapping him in a thin line of copper wire, attatched to a Batarang.

"Give your friends... your families... anyone who'll listen a word of advice,", He growled at the thugs, before kicking one of the other ones into a solid brick wall. "The city as a whole is off limits to you clowns. Indefinately!"

The remaining thug's simply stared, wide eyed at this command, before finally scattering into the night, dropping their weapons in a simulataneous manner. Batman and Robin stood, watching them go, as the downed thugs around them sent a clear and valuble message to Gotham City: The night was no longer safe for the criminals or the cowardly.

Batman smirked, looking upon the duos handiwork, once the fleeing thugs out of sight.

"Not bad, bro.", He stated, looking over at Robin. "Not bad at all."

"Course it isn't,", Robin answered. "After all, I was the one who did it. By the way, um... what the hell do we do now? Do we just leave them for the cops?"

Batman turned to the downed thugs, sneering over their unconcious bodies.

"No. I've got a much better idea."

Two patrolmen on the east end of Gotham's slums, not far from where the incident had taken place, were greeted with a vicious sight, moments later, as Batman swung down and delivered the thugs to them personally, in his own rampant manner.

GothamPD03.jpg

And even as Batman escaped back into the shadows to meet back with Robin, he couldn't help but smirk again. This was beginning to get alot more fun than he could've ever imagined.

logo_batman.gif

DetectiveComics822.jpg

Batman payed little attention to Robin's quips, or his comments, as the fight continued. He only maintained a focus on Jason's ability to defend himself. Taking out a line from his belt, Batman tossed it at one of the nearest thugs, and tugged, wrapping him in a thin line of copper wire, attatched to a Batarang.

"Give your friends... your families... anyone who'll listen a word of advice,", He growled at the thugs, before kicking one of the other ones into a solid brick wall. "The city as a whole is off limits to you clowns. Indefinately!"

The remaining thug's simply stared, wide eyed at this command, before finally scattering into the night, dropping their weapons in a simulataneous manner. Batman and Robin stood, watching them go, as the downed thugs around them sent a clear and valuble message to Gotham City: The night was no longer safe for the criminals or the cowardly.

Batman smirked, looking upon the duos handiwork, once the fleeing thugs out of sight.

"Not bad, bro.", He stated, looking over at Robin. "Not bad at all."

"Course it isn't,", Robin answered. "After all, I was the one who did it. By the way, um... what the hell do we do now? Do we just leave them for the cops?"

Batman turned to the downed thugs, sneering over their unconcious bodies.

"No. I've got a much better idea."

Two patrolmen on the east end of Gotham's slums, not far from where the incident had taken place, were greeted with a vicious sight, moments later, as Batman swung down and delivered the thugs to them personally, in his own rampant manner.

GothamPD03.jpg

And even as Batman escaped back into the shadows to meet back with Robin, he couldn't help but smirk again. This was beginning to get alot more fun than he could've ever imagined.

Edward Nigma followed the sound of shattering glass, Wilson close behind. Finally, panting and gripping his throbbing leg, Nigma found himself standing in front of a police car, with two thugs lying on top of the windscreen.

"What happened here, officers?"

The cops looked as scared as the crooks. One of them couldn't summon words, but one of them stammered out a reply.

"B-Batman," he exclaimed, "It was The Batman!"

Nigma turned away from the scene, placing his hands on his hips. The Batman had been here, less than a minute ago.

"I'm getting closer..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"