DC: New Age Volume I IC Thread

Nightwing - Taking Care Of Business
Dick's old motorbike flew through the deserted Bludhaven streets like a ghost out of hell. Tim stopped sharply at the house, where he had only been once before a year or so ago. This was going to be awkward. He looked at the building, and then ran forwards, jumping onto the drain pipe. He shimied up the drain pipe and leapt onto the sill of a window that was partly open. He lifted it up and pulled himself through, landing softly on the tiles of the bathroom.

He looked up. There was a naked woman in her mid forties just stepping into her bath with her back to him. If he could just sneak slowly out of the window, then he could go down a floor and ring the bell like a normal person. Too late, he thought as she turned around, raising her arms to cover her breasts. Tim winced.

"Why Tim Drake, I never took you for a peeping tom," Helena Bartelli said, sitting down in the bath.

"Erm...you're really not my type?" he ventured.

"Such a charmer," she said looking at him coyly.

"Look Helena, forget the fact that I've just appeared in your house when you were naked. I need your help. Theres a-"

"There's a war coming right? I've heard it all before, the answer is no," she said sternly.

"No it's not that. I need you to go look after Jason in Gotham," he said, muttering slightly.

"Can't Rose do that?" she said, sounding slightly bored.

"She's gone," he said, causing an awkward silence "and Jason has decided to become Robin now. You already know that John's Batman of course,"

"Yes, seeing as I trained him until you came banging on my door, saying that it was an afront to Babs' memory to be training the son of Dick Grayson. Well now you've come to ask me a favour in Dick's old costume. Oh how the tables have turned "Nightwing". Why can't you look after Jason and John?"

"I'm going to raise an army. As many heroes as are still out there. We need them to fight,"

"Fight what? Fight who? Luthor? He's just the president. You need to fight the law, and that makes you a villain. Give up already Tim. Game's over,"

"It's no game. We have to fight. As soon as Lex is gone, the world returns to normal,"

"What, with all the super villains and sickos back on the streets? The ones that kill and rape and maim? Face it, the worlds better,"

"I'm not asking for your support. I'm asking for you too look after my son while I'm away. You don't have to be Huntress, you can be Aunt Helena," he said. She considered for a second.

"Okay. For the kids. But I'm not fighting for you ok? When are you leaving?"

"Now. I've left a note and a cell number for Jason. I'm going to find Rose, then I'm going to meet up with the rest of the Titans," he said. The door to the bathroom opened, and a man stepped in. He was a little shorter than Tim, with jet black hair. He could've been Dick Graysons double. His jaw dropped.

"...Dick?" Jason Todd asked, stammering slightly.

"No, Jason. It's Tim. How long have you and Helena been together?"

"A few months," he said, before growling, and dragging Tim out of the room.

"That was an accident. I was just letting myself in. I didn't know that she was taking a bath," Tim said, hurridley.

"Get out," he hissed. Tim walked to the window, opened it before looking back.

"It's a new age Jason. You can make a difference," he said.

"Out," Jason Todd said. Tim jumped from the ledge. Jason could hear him driving away into the night. He walked into the bathroom where Helena was.

"What was that about?" he asked. Helena looked at him and simply said.

"We're going to Gotham,"

"We?"

"Yes we are,"

robinnewagexv8.png

Gotham City

UltBatmanLogo.jpg

Holding on to the grappling line with my left hand, I sail through the air and land on a nearby building.

I have a bo staff in my right hand. It's the same one my dad used in my training. He taught me to wield it with unparalleled skill. Yeah, I'm that good with it.

"Red Bird to Big Bat. Red Bird to Big Bat. I'm in New Town, I'm not getting jack squat."

This is how we do it. I patrol one area of the city, Johnny takes another. While I'm in New Town, he's over in Old Town kicking ass and taking names.

"I'm heading over to Robinson Park."

I shoot out another grappling line and swing off the rooftop.​

new_graphic_novel6888.jpg

Ralph Dibny opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling above him, sweat covering his face and his heart pounding out of his chest. What day was today? Monday? Or was it Wednesday?
It didn't really matter, they were all the same. The days had long since begun to merge together into an endless sea of the same meaningless routine periodically interrupted by sleepless nights. The few nights he actually managed to fall asleep, it was never long before Ralph woke in a pool of his own sweat and tears.

It was always the same nightmare, too. Without fail, it was the same damn images over and over again. Fire and explosion piercing the darkness, the deafening sound of the multitudes of boom tubes, screams of pain. His body aching, stretched too far. His friends dying. Heroes being cut down like animals, casualties of a war that seemed lost. But somehow they pulled through. Somehow, Earth still stood. But even as the sun was rising in the horizon and all the peoples of the world were joined together in celebration, Ralph Dibny sunk further into despair.
He would always remember that moment. The moment where they won the war, but he lost his life.

He lost his Sue.

cover.jpg

Metropolis

"Here it is, Kent!"

Jon Brewer is a rather skinny man with a brown receding harilne, he's also my new boss the editor of the....

"Daily Star! Metropolis' finest online newspaper."

It's not as cool as the planet, but you have to start somewhere.

"Wow, Jon...it's something..."

The room he's brought me into has only five or six cubicles in a semi-circle.

"You bet you ass, Kent. We went online after the planet sued us for libel. I was just a copy boy then, and I was lucky to survive. After I took over, we changed. No more tabloids. Now we battle the Planet for readers. Our numbers are about the same, and I hope you can push us to the top, Chris."

I adjust my glasses as I cough.

"Yeah, well...I hope I can to...umm, what's my beat?"

"Oh, you'll be handling the goverment beat. You'll cover local goverment meetings and things like that. Lucky for you, you're not alone."

He puts his fingers in his mouth and whistles loudly.

"Harper!"

A slender, dark-haired woman looks up from a cubicle.

"Yeah, Chief?"

"Come here. I got someone I want you to meet."

She leaves her cubicle and approaches the two of us.

"Chris Kent, this is Lian Harper."

Her green eyes look into my dark brown eyes and I feel my heart skip a beat, I can hear her heart do the same as we lock eyes. It takes both of us a moment to snap out of it.

"...Hello? Somebody do something!"

"Oh! Sorry, chief. Nice to meet you."

I take her hand and warmly smile.

"Likewise."

"Hate to break this little love fest, but you two will be working together on the goverment beat....got a problem with that?"

"No."

"No."

"Good. Now get to work, what the hell am I paying you for?"

******​

It's been three days since I was hired by the Star. Lian and I are getting along well...

"Chris *smack* Hold up...."

She unwraps her legs around my waist and her feet touch the broom closet floor.

"What is it?"

She searches for the high heel shoe she flung off in her passionate scramble.

"I thought I heard something..."

I smile as I readjust my glasses.

"Believe me, if someone was coming, I'd hear it."

She smiles as she leans in close to me and looks up.

"Oh really?"

"I have the ears of a deer...."

She jumps into the air and wraps her legs around my waist once more.

"Good. I just hope you can hear if someone's coming. We could get in alot of trouble if they find out about us."

We passionately kiss and I look into her dark green eyes once more.

"That makes it that much more exciting..."

As much as I love Clark, the truth is I'm nothing like him sometimes....

It's morning time now. I sit on the edge of the bed while Lian quietly slumbers behind me. This is the second straight night she's slept over. It's funny, as long as it took Lois and Clark to finally do the deed, it took the two of us a day and a half.

I make my way to the kitchen and pick up the Sunday edition of The Planet. It's all doom and gloom, but I'm intrigued by this vigilante that stopped a drug deal from going down.

"Blond haired vixen...fishnets.....new Black Canary?"

"You better not be eyeing another woman. Do you have any coffee?"

I look up as Lian strolls into the kitchen in her underwear, her black hair shimmers in the early morning light.

"It's in the cupboard over the sink. Oh, I'm not. I'm just reading about this vigilante."

"What about her?"

"She's apparently a hottie."

Lian shoots me a look as she reaches on her tip-toes and and grabs the can of coffee beans. In a few minutes, the smell of fresh brewed coffee fills my apartment.

"So. It's our day off....got any plans?"

I grab a mug and pour coffee into it.

"Yeah, actually. I'm going to visit my dad."

"Cool. Maybe I'll get to meet him someday. Then you can meet my dad in Star City."

"Is he anything like you?"

Lian comes up behind me and starts to bite on my neck.

"I get my sex drive from him...or my grandpa...not sure."

"I need to personally thank him, then."

"Later. But I want to give you something to remember me while you're with your dad."

As fun as it is to be Chris Kent. There's one thing I enjoy better.

"Yee-haw!"

I gleefuly yell as I soar through the air. Like I said, I like to be Chris Kent. But Lor-Zod is just as much fun to be. My glasses are gone now and my short brown hair ripples through the wind as I dip close to the ocean. The ocean gives way to ice as I venture into the Artic. Off in the distance, the Fortress looms.

"Heh. Here I come, Clark."

Metropolis

"Here it is, Kent!"

Jon Brewer is a rather skinny man with a brown receding harilne, he's also my new boss the editor of the....

"Daily Star! Metropolis' finest online newspaper."

It's not as cool as the planet, but you have to start somewhere.

"Wow, Jon...it's something..."

The room he's brought me into has only five or six cubicles in a semi-circle.

"You bet you ass, Kent. We went online after the planet sued us for libel. I was just a copy boy then, and I was lucky to survive. After I took over, we changed. No more tabloids. Now we battle the Planet for readers. Our numbers are about the same, and I hope you can push us to the top, Chris."

I adjust my glasses as I cough.

"Yeah, well...I hope I can to...umm, what's my beat?"

"Oh, you'll be handling the goverment beat. You'll cover local goverment meetings and things like that. Lucky for you, you're not alone."

He puts his fingers in his mouth and whistles loudly.

"Harper!"

A slender, dark-haired woman looks up from a cubicle.

"Yeah, Chief?"

"Come here. I got someone I want you to meet."

She leaves her cubicle and approaches the two of us.

"Chris Kent, this is Lian Harper."

Her green eyes look into my dark brown eyes and I feel my heart skip a beat, I can hear her heart do the same as we lock eyes. It takes both of us a moment to snap out of it.

"...Hello? Somebody do something!"

"Oh! Sorry, chief. Nice to meet you."

I take her hand and warmly smile.

"Likewise."

"Hate to break this little love fest, but you two will be working together on the goverment beat....got a problem with that?"

"No."

"No."

"Good. Now get to work, what the hell am I paying you for?"

******​

It's been three days since I was hired by the Star. Lian and I are getting along well...

"Chris *smack* Hold up...."

She unwraps her legs around my waist and her feet touch the broom closet floor.

"What is it?"

She searches for the high heel shoe she flung off in her passionate scramble.

"I thought I heard something..."

I smile as I readjust my glasses.

"Believe me, if someone was coming, I'd hear it."

She smiles as she leans in close to me and looks up.

"Oh really?"

"I have the ears of a deer...."

She jumps into the air and wraps her legs around my waist once more.

"Good. I just hope you can hear if someone's coming. We could get in alot of trouble if they find out about us."

We passionately kiss and I look into her dark green eyes once more.

"That makes it that much more exciting..."

As much as I love Clark, the truth is I'm nothing like him sometimes....

It's morning time now. I sit on the edge of the bed while Lian quietly slumbers behind me. This is the second straight night she's slept over. It's funny, as long as it took Lois and Clark to finally do the deed, it took the two of us a day and a half.

I make my way to the kitchen and pick up the Sunday edition of The Planet. It's all doom and gloom, but I'm intrigued by this vigilante that stopped a drug deal from going down.

"Blond haired vixen...fishnets.....new Black Canary?"

"You better not be eyeing another woman. Do you have any coffee?"

I look up as Lian strolls into the kitchen in her underwear, her black hair shimmers in the early morning light.

"It's in the cupboard over the sink. Oh, I'm not. I'm just reading about this vigilante."

"What about her?"

"She's apparently a hottie."

Lian shoots me a look as she reaches on her tip-toes and and grabs the can of coffee beans. In a few minutes, the smell of fresh brewed coffee fills my apartment.

"So. It's our day off....got any plans?"

I grab a mug and pour coffee into it.

"Yeah, actually. I'm going to visit my dad."

"Cool. Maybe I'll get to meet him someday. Then you can meet my dad in Star City."

"Is he anything like you?"

Lian comes up behind me and starts to bite on my neck.

"I get my sex drive from him...or my grandpa...not sure."

"I need to personally thank him, then."

"Later. But I want to give you something to remember me while you're with your dad."

As fun as it is to be Chris Kent. There's one thing I enjoy better.

"Yee-haw!"

I gleefuly yell as I soar through the air. Like I said, I like to be Chris Kent. But Lor-Zod is just as much fun to be. My glasses are gone now and my short brown hair ripples through the wind as I dip close to the ocean. The ocean gives way to ice as I venture into the Artic. Off in the distance, the Fortress looms.

"Heh. Here I come, Clark."

The thought of what he has done to his son has hit him straight in the face, the wound worse then a kryptonite blade. All of a sudden, faintly he could here a sound coming from outside the fortress.

“No…it can’t be…..”

His heart started pounding, madly he started breathing heavily, bracing himself for the moment he should have done 20 years ago he takes a deep breath and walks to the entrance.

“Open.”

He commands the doors, as if they were magic and like that, the boy he had abandoned and left for no reason at all appeared before his eyes, Clark took another heavy and deep breath.

“Hello, Christopher.”

The thought of what he has done to his son has hit him straight in the face, the wound worse then a kryptonite blade. All of a sudden, faintly he could here a sound coming from outside the fortress.

“No…it can’t be…..”

His heart started pounding, madly he started breathing heavily, bracing himself for the moment he should have done 20 years ago he takes a deep breath and walks to the entrance.

“Open.”

He commands the doors, as if they were magic and like that, the boy he had abandoned and left for no reason at all appeared before his eyes, Clark took another heavy and deep breath.

“Hello, Christopher.”

I touch down on the icy ground and look at Clark.

He's aged a good bit in the years he's been gone, I suppose losing Lois would do that to him. I'll admit, I'm still a bit mad that he abandonded me when Lois died and left me alone in the world. I was lucky I found two amazing women to help raise me, Martha Kent and Karen Starr, you may know her as Kara Zor-L or Power Woman.

"It's good to see you, Clark. It's been awhile."

I touch down on the icy ground and look at Clark.

He's aged a good bit in the years he's been gone, I suppose losing Lois would do that to him. I'll admit, I'm still a bit mad that he abandonded me when Lois died and left me alone in the world. I was lucky I found two amazing women to help raise me, Martha Kent and Karen Starr, you may know her as Kara Zor-L or Power Woman.

"It's good to see you, Clark. It's been awhile."

Clark looked at his adopted son, with guilt, the fact that the lack of the use dad was apparent in his voice, still who could blame Chris for that, Clark nodded and gave a nervous smile.

Giving out a heavy sigh he had waited years for this moment and wasn’t going to let something like that get in his way.

“You’ve changed, quite a bit….all grown up.”

The very talk reminded him out of all those years he could have gotten over Lois’s death and moved on with his life, he didn’t always have to be Superman, sometimes, sometimes Clark Kent was needed more then Superman. But it was to late for that now, much to long.

Clark looked down on the ground, then onto his son and put his hand on his shoulder, with very faint tears in his eyes.

“I’m, sorry, Chris, not a day goes by that I regret that, I wasn’t there for you!”

Closing his eyes then opening them within seconds he managed to focus.

“But I promise now son, I promise you that I’ll never let something like that happen, ever again! You have my word.”

Closing his eyes then opening them within seconds he managed to focus.

“But I promise now son, I promise you that I’ll never let something like that happen, ever again! You have my word.”

"It's okay, Clark. You don't have to apologize."

I pat his shoulder and smile.

"From what Kara and Ma told me, Lois was your world, she was the thing that kept you tied to this world. It was only natural that you'd exile yourself after her death."

We stand there for a moment before I look at him and arch my eyebrow.

"So, old man. You gonna invite me in? Or am I just going to stand here freezing my butt off?"

"It's okay, Clark. You don't have to apologize."

I pat his shoulder and smile.

"From what Kara and Ma told me, Lois was your world, she was the thing that kept you tied to this world. It was only natural that you'd exile yourself after her death."

We stand there for a moment before I look at him and arch my eyebrow.

"So, old man. You gonna invite me in? Or am I just going to stand here freezing my butt off?"

Clark gave laughed with a smile on his face.

“Sure come in.”

The two walked inside the fortress, Christopher stands in awe and amazement of the palace, it was the same for everyone. The only person not marveled by it was Bruce, may he rest in peace he thought to himself.

Starring at the young boy, now a man Clark still had a smile on his face.

“You haven’t been here for a while, have you?”

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Starring at the young boy, now a man Clark still had a smile on his face.

“You haven’t been here for a while, have you?”

"Not since I was six. You've made some upgrades "

I quietly laugh as a Superman robot clunks on by.

"I uh, I got a job. A reporter job."

Clark shoots me a quizzical look as he looks at me.

"It's at the Star, though. Heh."

I rub the back of my head as I smile.

"They're out of the tabloid business. They do all their stuff online now. I cover the goverment beat with Lian Harper."

A soft smile appears on my face as I think of Lian.

"I've really been enjoying it."

"Not since I was six. You've made some upgrades "

I quietly laugh as a Superman robot clunks on by.

"I uh, I got a job. A reporter job."

Clark shoots me a quizzical look as he looks at me.

"It's at the Star, though. Heh."

I rub the back of my head as I smile.

"They're out of the tabloid business. They do all their stuff online now. I cover the goverment beat with Lian Harper."

A soft smile appears on my face as I think of Lian.

"I've really been enjoying it."

“So we got another reporter in the Kent family?”

Chris smiled; he gave a soft sounding “Yeah.” The girl he mentioned, Harper, the name sounded familiar, someone Clark couldn’t quite put his finger on. Ignoring the query in his mind, he wanted to continue the conversation.

“Was the Star your first choice or did you look anywhere else first, just curious.”

“So we got another reporter in the Kent family?”

Chris smiled; he gave a soft sounding “Yeah.” The girl he mentioned, Harper, the name sounded familiar, someone Clark couldn’t quite put his finger on. Ignoring the query in his mind, he wanted to continue the conversation.

“Was the Star your first choice or did you look anywhere else first, just curious.”

"I thought about the Planet, but I was afraid that your footsteps there were a bit too big for me to follow in. I applied at the Star, I even applied for the Gotham Gazette and Globe."

I take a deep breath before I say my next words.

"I, uh. I also thought of doing something else the Kents are notorious for..."

I flash a sly smile as it dawns on Clark.

"Time for me to stand for truth, justice, and the American way. Just like you, the two Kara's, and Conner."

"I thought about the Planet, but I was afraid that your footsteps there were a bit too big for me to follow in. I applied at the Star, I even applied for the Gotham Gazette and Globe."

I take a deep breath before I say my next words.

"I, uh. I also thought of doing something else the Kents are notorious for..."

I flash a sly smile as it dawns on Clark.

"Time for me to stand for truth, justice, and the American way. Just like you, the two Kara's, and Conner."

The announcement shocked Clark, his tongue caught in the situation.

“Wow, I wasn’t expecting that.”

Clark stared at Chris in a more serious way.

“I don’t know Christopher, it’s dangerous now, for anyone who wants to help people, even for me. They know what can harm us and if they ever find you Chris, believe me they won’t stop hurting you, they’ll go at it like animals. Especially Luthor.”

Looking at his son he gave a sigh.

“But, I guess you have thought about it, and I trust your judgement. But, don’t forget I’ll always be looking out for you, the moment you need any help, I’ll get down there as fast as a bullet.”

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

“But, I guess you have thought about it, and I trust your judgement. But, don’t forget I’ll always be looking out for you, the moment you need any help, I’ll get down there as fast as a bullet.”

"Thanks alot, Clark. I think I can manage, but it never hurts to have Superman on the job. I'll remember that. I still haven't thought of a name. I was thinking of taking up a name like Kara's. Tell me, what do you think of Chris Kent becoming Power-Man?"

"Thanks alot, Clark. I think I can manage, but it never hurts to have Superman on the job. I'll remember that. I still haven't thought of a name. I was thinking of taking up a name like Kara's. Tell me, what do you think of Chris Kent becoming Power-Man?"

“Surprised you’re asking me, I’m the last guy would probably ask for name advice.”

Clark said, laughingly all of a sudden an emergency call came up.

[FONT=&quot]“Space shuttle Freedom. Major crash expected, coming into earth’s atmosphere in thirty seconds.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Clark looked out the window; already in full costume he clenched his fist, looking at his son with that look of determination.

“Guess this is as good of a time as any to see if you’re up for this!”

Superman said, floating above the skyline, his son following him as they fly up to the reaches of the earth.

“Guess this is as good of a time as any to see if you’re up for this!”

Superman said, floating above the skyline, his son following him as they fly up to the reaches of the earth.

I smile as I fly past Clark in a blur of motion.

"You're definatly getting older!"

Clark follows close behind me as we break through the Earth's atmosphere and into the coldness of space.

The Space Shuttle flys past us in a ball of flames as it heads towards the ground.

"What's the plan, Superman?"

BLAM!!!

An explosion rocks the skies as the shuttle tears itself in two. I use my x-ray vision to look inside the two halves.

"The astronauts are in the chunk of shuttle on the left. I'll take out the chunk that's heading towards China. Sound good?"

I smile as I fly past Clark in a blur of motion.

"You're definatly getting older!"

Clark follows close behind me as we break through the Earth's atmosphere and into the coldness of space.

The Space Shuttle flys past us in a ball of flames as it heads towards the ground.

"What's the plan, Superman?"

BLAM!!!

An explosion rocks the skies as the shuttle tears itself in two. I use my x-ray vision to look inside the two halves.

"The astronauts are in the chunk of shuttle on the left. I'll take out the chunk that's heading towards China. Sound good?"

Clark nodded to Chris and swooped down towards his chunk, it was funny taking commands from his adopted son. As he flew down he used his X Ray to look on to see the Astro noughts, trapped in and holding on to what ever they could as they entered a fiery death.

“Not on my watch!”

Superman said to himself, flying faster then the shuttle he managed to get directly below it and managed to catch it with his hands, it made a an impact for the people inside but now they were safe.

Blowing around it to cool it down he flew down towards land and searched for a good place to safety, flying down rapidly but controllably he was somewhere near Floirda by the time he managed to land.

THUD!

Landing like Atlas and holding the shuttle steady Clark carefully and placed it on the road, tearing out the door, he could see the Astonaughts in shock and gratitude.

“Are you alright?”

They all nodded as he lends them a hand, as soon as the four got out one quickly asked.

“Where is the other fuel engine area!? It came off seconds before you saved us.”

“Don’t worry my, associate has it covered, which reminds me…”

Superman shot up into the air as quickly as he could, heading upwards towards his son.

"Uhh!"

My muscles strain and I grit my teeth as I grip the chuck of space shuttle in an effort to stop it's plummet towards Earth.

WHAM!

I hit an air pocket and the chuck of metal I'm riding bucks me off.

"Screw this!"

I use my x-ray vision to scan the hunk and see that the only thing in it is fuel tanks...highly flammible fuel tanks. My eyes become two slits as the red beams fly out and strike the chunk of falling metal. It starts to glow red and then finally...

BOOM!

It erupts into a massive fireball and incinerates the piece of shuttle.

"Heh. Power-Man: One. Giant Ball of Fire: Zero."

"Uhh!"

My muscles strain and I grit my teeth as I grip the chuck of space shuttle in an effort to stop it's plummet towards Earth.

WHAM!

I hit an air pocket and the chuck of metal I'm riding bucks me off.

"Screw this!"

I use my x-ray vision to scan the hunk and see that the only thing in it is fuel tanks...highly flammible fuel tanks. My eyes become two slits as the red beams fly out and strike the chunk of falling metal. It starts to glow red and then finally...

BOOM!

It erupts into a massive fireball and incinerates the piece of shuttle.

"Heh. Power-Man: One. Giant Ball of Fire: Zero."

“Not the most, shuttle option.”

Superman said with a wink and smiling;

“But not bad, considering it was just fuel.”

All of sudden, Clark heard the buzzing of machine drones, made to take out any meta human activity.

“You better go, they’re going to be looking for us now.”

"Sure Dad, it's been...fun."

Smiling once more the two waved at each other, as Chris flew away, Clark hovered and waited till the drones were in sight, and within seconds destroyed them with his lazer vision.

Not wanting anymore attention, Superman flew away, back to the fortress, he had something else that needed taken care of that night.

I speed away from Clark and the approaching drones. I'm opening the door of my apartment in Metropolis a few minutes later.

"Lian? You still here?"

I look around, but she's nowhere to be seen.

BEEP!

My cellphone goes off, I had it silenced while I was with Clark. Looks like Lian left me a voice message...

"Hey, Chris. It's me. I hated to leave you like this, but I had to get back to Star City. My grandpa is seriously sick.....I-...I'm not sure if he's going to make it.....I'll call you later."

The phone clicks and her voice fades as the message ends.

I put the phone down and shove my hands into my pocket. I should be there with her, we haven't been together too long, but I feel like I should be there to comfort her. If I go to Star, it won't take me five minutes to fly to Star. In the mean time, I'll work on my sewing skills and try to work up a design on my new super suit.

OOC: Previously...

newaquadcnalogo.jpg

Owen continues to marvel at the masses of people brought forth for some special occasion. Although, it would seem that he was somewhat late; people seem to be leaving. Seeing the large group spread apart, Owen walks away from his dark corner in the alley, and starts to walk across the street.

*HONK! HONK!*

Owen turns to where he hears the bizarre, loud, noise. Some sort of machine heads right for him. He's frozen silent; never before has he seen such a mechanism. He becomes almost dazed as it flashes light at him; like the Sun.

*HONK! HONK!*

"Hey, kid! MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!"

*HONK! HONK!*

It's as if the last few honks finally wake Owen up from his amazement with the large machine. But it seems he did so a little too long. Reacting completely in reflex, Owen catches the machine as the driver tries to slam on the breaks; the truck drags all the way into the building.

*CRASH!*

A large group of people run over to the scene of the accident, as well as some nearby police. The driver in the truck lies unconscious upside-down, so the policemen quickly grab him as the truck starts to leak oil. With the truck flipped over as well, they try to get him out quickly should a spark from the engine start a fire leading to an explosion. But they don't have to worry.

Miraculously, the truck starts to move as it skids on the pavement, the scraping hoarse and loud. It is Owen who moves the truck. Annoyed with how much time it takes, he eventually unleashes an uncontrollable tug on the truck, and it goes skyrocketting across the street, hitting a different building. Luckily, no innocent bystanders were hurt.

He walks out of the hole in the building, his eyes staring down marvelously at his hands. It's as if he is even stronger here! There seems to be so much less force exerting onto his body unlike the crushing depths of the ocean.

"Woah..."

A crowd of people circle around Owen, and he starts to get uncomfortable.

"He...he's a metahuman!"

"Yea! He got hit by that truck and it didn't even phase him!"

"Then he tried to throw it back at us!"

"Woah, there. I...I didn't try to--"

The policemen walk through the crowd, mainly keeping them from piling on top of Owen; basically taking control of the situation. After more squat cars arrive, the officers start to crowd around Owen with a blockade stopping the crowd of people.

"This isn't going as well as I had hoped..."

"Just calm down, son. We don't want to hurt you..."

"Put your hands on your head, and kneel onto the pavement."

Owen finds himself in a most uncomfortable situation. He sees the officers approaching him with something in his hands. They may not be of the same design, but he'd recognize handcuffs; Atlantean or not.

He wakes up. Another day, another nightmare. Ralph rubs his eyes and lays in bed for almost a full hour before finally getting up. It's not that he's lazy, or sleepy. He just can't get up. Whether it's physical or mental he doesn't know, much less care. But everyday it takes him longer and longer to find a reason to get out of bed. Today it was the doorbell.

It had honestly been so long since he heard the doorbell ring that at first he thought his mind had finally broken and he had begun hearing things. A second ring and he knew someone was actually at the door. His tired old feet touched the cold floor and he pushed himself to a barely standing position. Taking a deep breath and looking towards the door, he heard another ring. Whoever it was, it was important.

Who the hell would want something from old Ralph Dibny? Everyone in his neighborhood had long since given up on visiting him. He even captured the imaginations of the children in the neighborhood, who had all begun referring to him as 'That creepy old guy down the street'.

"I'll..." his voice, so rarely used these days, felt like a razor in his throat. He coughed harshly. "I'll be right there."

Ralph pulled on a robe and made his way to the door. His frail hand reached out and grabbed the doorknob, twisting it and pulling the door open. He almost thought it was just another doorbell prank when he didn't see anyone one the other side of the door.

"E..Excuse me, mister?" an impossibly small voice almost whispered up at him. Ralph looked down at a young boy, who couldn't have been any older than 8 years old. The boy looked up at him with glazed eyes, almost shaking with fear. "Y..Yes?" Ralph replied as softly as he could, not wanting to scare the young boy any more than his appearance already had.

The boy's head turned and looked behind him. Ralph looked beyond the boy and spotted three other boys, same age as the one standing in front of him, doing a bad job of hiding behind a tree and watching their friend talking to the monster of the neighborhood.

"Umm..I..Umm..Me and my friends where, um, playing football, and um, our ball kinda landed in your backyard." the boy quietly explained.

"I see. What's your name, young man?" Ralph asked.

"Um, my mom told me not to tell strangers my name...but um, I'm Tommy."

"And I suppose you lost a bet, and had to come over here and get the ball back, Tommy?"

His eyes darting toward the ground, the young boy shamefully replied "Yes sir."

"That's okay, son. Wait here and I'll get your ball."

Ralph turned his back and walked to the backdoor. When he opened it and felt the cold air rush through his house, he was almost surprised to actually see a ball sitting on the faded lawn.
What almost surprised him even more, was that the boy was still on his porch when he got back, ball in hand.

"There you go, Tommy. Better watch where you kick that thing, could break someone's window."

"Yes, sir. Thank you Mr...."

"Dibny. My name is Ralph Dibny."

"Thank you Mr. Dibny, sir."

The young boy grabbed the ball and immediately jumped off the porch, dashing back towards his friends. Ralph lingered for a moment, and closed the door.

"Oh man, I thought he was gonna eat you!"

"He's even older than I thought!"

"I bet he has a bunch of dead people in his cellar!"

Ralph turned and stood still. A long time ago he had come to the conclusion that if people were going to think him some kind of creep, he might as well indulge them. He didn't know why, but he felt a little less like a monster now.

Metropolis:

Clark Kent sat down at a local café, right next to the current location of the Daily Planet along with his good friend, now editor of chief Jimmy Olsen sitting with him. The two had just recently met and Jimmy, still shaken up by the Joker’s attack on him a few weeks ago, felt safe once again with Superman on the scene.

“I mean, all this time, 20 years gone and he comes right back to us, sure we sould be mad at him, but for some reason we’re not you know? Cause he still manages to look at the best of things, still manages to inspire the country, the world in dark times like this.”

Jimmy said, taking a large zip of his coffee and putting it on the table once again, facing Clark, who was quite surprised Jimmy still hadn’t figured it out yet, or was just leading Clark on.

“So, if you’re so supportive of him how come the Planet seems more biased to the A.V.A. agreement?”

“Because, Clark, Luthor’s still President, and freedom of speech, just doesn’t cut it for us these days!”

Jimmy checked the time on his watch and looked out the window, “Okay, well Clark it’s getting late, looks like we have to catch up some other time, you don’t mind do you?”

“Of course not, Jimmy. You have a lot of work to do.”

“Okay, cacth ya later pal!”

Jimmy finished his up of coffee, and rushed out of the café back to his office, Clark looked as he went on by, seeing Jimmy already left money enough for Clark to leave with, he went outside breathing in the air of the gigantic city of Metropolis heard a fatal scream miles away, underground in the subway system.

“And so have I….”

Rushing away, past the crowd of people in his old man cloths, they couldn’t help but notice he ran faster then an athlete, sprinting towards an alleyway he soon bulleted into the air, and they soon saw Superman in all his glory.

Swooping down to the Subway system of Metropolis, Clark couldn’t help but notice how different it was, new technology everywhere, just getting older, Clark thought to himself and soon bulleted to the troubled train that was about to crash straight towards a dead end.

Using his X Ray vision, he identified that it was no accident, masked bandits had hijacked the train, and they had no idea what was installed for them, as soon they saw a man floating, grabbing the front of the train and leading it into a halt.

Tearing it to pieces the men, frightfully, fired at Superman as the bullets recoiled of his chest as he carefully landed, peacefully, taking away the guns from the bandits’ hands and crushing them within seconds.
“You don’t want to this, Superman!” One of the bandits said, tiring to sound brave, getting out a detonator, Clark without thinking first, used his heat vision to melt the remote, but at that exact moment the remote was triggered and soon the timer went off.

“ARGHHHH!” Clark dashed towards the bomb, using his hearing once more to trigger where it was, and within seconds was right where it was, using his X-Ray vision it again, the thought occurred to him.

“Lead…….everyone please, stand back for a moment!”

Using his immense strength, Superman tore the floorboards and found the bomb grabbing it, he froze it within seconds stopping the timer with 20 seconds to go before it blew up.

“Is everyone alright?”

They all nodded, going to one of the doors, the train was near a station, Clark threw away one of the doors, “Everyone, tell the people in the other parts of the train to come to this cart.”

They all rushed, soon everyone was out of the train, except for two people, an old man and his daughter, they’re crying and the old man gasping for air was ignored from all the other people on the train, Clark walked towards them.

“What’s wrong?”

“My father, he has a heart condition, I think he’s having a….heart attack! Please you have to….”

“Don’t worry!”

Superman, took the old man in his arms, Running towards the station in costume, the daughter following him.

“Is anyone here a doctor?”

All looking back, wanting to help the man of steel, they all wish they knew if one of them was there, but they couldn’t, realising this he asked them;

“Where’s the nearest hospital?”

“Three blocks away, you go up and take a right and then you’ll see it…….”

Dashing out of the Subway station in a flash, he flew towards the hospital emergency centre, giving all the residents there a fright.

“This man is having a heart attack, can someone please help him!”

Four nurses came rushing with a bed for the man, Superman placed him there carefully.

“It’s alright, you’re safe now!”
As the nurses dragged him along, Superman could almost hear the man whispering “Thank you…”

Smiling, Clark got out of the hospital and flew to the skies.

The young Tommy's visit had been on Ralph's mind the remainder of the day. No matter how much he had convinced himself, and others, that all he wanted was to be left alone, he had to admit he had come dangerously close to actually enjoying the interaction with another person. Even if that person was 8-years old and scared to death of him.

Ralph carefully brought his body down into a creaky chair facing a large window, the window in turn facing his front lawn. Looking out at the brightly painted houses, all of them as welcoming as the next, all lined up perfectly and all containing jubilant and happy faces, he couldn't help but being almost transported back in time.
To when the house he lived in was one of those happy homes. To when it contained two people instead of a lone figure, more myth than man in this neighborhood. He couldn't really remember when the last time a child had stood on his front porch, but he remembered it as a common when Sue was still alive. Almost everyday children would come running up to their door, asking for one of Sue's homemade cookies and one of Ralph's Superman stories.
Having no children of their own, they had both enjoyed the visits. A warmth washed over Ralph when he remember the smile on Sue's face as she watched the kids enjoy her food and hang on to every word of his stories.

It was a smile that had often saved Ralph from complete despair. It had been his one thread of hope during the invasion, to know Sue and her smile would welcome him back into her arms when all was said and done, no matter what happened. But no...

Fire. Thunderous cracks, the sky splitting in two everywhere he looked. The screams of innocent people being cut down all around him. Children calling for their mothers, their fathers. His friends shouting for the brave soldiers to keep fighting, to hold on hope.
Elongated Man stands frozen on the battlefield, the scale of the destruction hitting him like a truck. He wants to move, he wants to help, but he can't. Something his holding him back. Clark calls for him to move, Diana screams at him to please help.
But whatever is holding him back won't let go. He turns around and sees Sue. His darling Sue, clutching his arms in a vice-like grip, her face distorted in pain, tears running down her boiling hot skin.

"Ralph! Ralph why are you letting me die?!?! Ralph why won't you save me?!?!?!"

"Oh God, Sue, baby, honey please don't leave me! Sue, oh God I'm so sorry! Please stay! Please don't leave me!!! SUE!!!"

"SUE!!!"

Ralph eyes jerk open as the nightmare lets go of him. His heart beats out of his chest and his hands shake. His body covered in sweat from head to toe, he grabs hold of the chair. He had fallen asleep in it and as he looks out the window he sees it had gotten dark out.
Darkness sprawled through the neighborhood, lights turned off in all the windows of all the peaceful little houses, the sole source of light were the few street lamps dotted around the streets.

As he pulls himself out of the chair, Ralph spots something out of the corner of his eye. Out there, standing directly underneath one of the street lamps stood Tommy, the young boy. Clutching something in his hand, the young boy stared directly at the window where Ralph stood, staring back.
Confused, Ralph raised his hands. He didn't expect the young boy to return the favor, but he wanted to make sure he wasn't experiencing some brand new nightmare.
But like a frightened animal, the boy shot off into the dark, leaving behind nothing to suggest he had even been there.

"Wai...." Ralph began, but the word faded.

7850-nightwing_400.jpg

The Titans Tower had been destroyed in the war with Darkseid. It was one of the first places to be annihilated, after the Justice League Watchtower. Once the war was over, the governemnt didn't want the Tower to be rebuilt. Neither did the Titans, or what was left of them. So it lay there, a pile of rubble, representing something that was once great, people that were once heroes. So this is where Tim had chosen to bring the heroes back.

The motorbike sped through the streets, throwing dust into the night behind it. Tim's leather jacket flapped behind him as he drove, visor down face set in a determined grimace. He stopped the bike by the rubble, and stood, climbing up over the rocks quickly. He sat down, watching the sun set in the red sky, and three figures walked towards him. He could see from here who it was.

Victor Stone was in the lead, striding along like he was king of the world. There was a grin plastered on his lined face, his hair a steelly grey instead of the normal black. To his right was a woman who seemed to be as young as the day that Tim had first met her. She was in a black cloak, her raven black hair in sharp contrast to her palid complexion. There was a red diamond in the middle of her forehead, and for once Tim saw her smile. It was uplifting.

To Vic's left was a figure Tim had seen many time before, normally looking up at the Jokers face with doe eyes, and some sick, twisted love. And yet Vic was walking with her like she was an allie, not an enemy. Tim jumped, and landed at the bottom of the rubble. He didn't say anthing, just pulled Vic into a hug.

"You look bigger. And older," Tim said, croaking slightly. Vic laughed.

"Nice start man. Just keep insulting me, and this'll work out fine," Vic said, with a twinkle in his eye. Tim turned to Raven, expecting a brief nod at most, to mark the occasion, so he was shocked when she threw herself at him and clung to his chest.

"It's been too long," she said in her deep throaty voice. Tim was even more shocked when he saw a tear rolling down her cheek. She finally let go, pulling her hood over her head and looking slightly ashamed. Tim was speechless, and then turned around to the final person.

"Harley Quin," he stated blandly, looking at her big green eyes. She shook her head.

"Guess again Timmy," she squealed. Tim thought for a second. Harley Quin had blue eyes. The only person he'd ever met who'd put on a Harley costume with green eyes was...

"Duela?...Duela Dent? God Vic, I tell you to round up the old crowd and you get everyone who ever even looked at the Titans," he said. She jumped up at him, and he caught her in his arms instinctively, before dropping her to the ground. Before she could start shouting at him, there was a rumbling sound. Tim turned, adopting a fighting stance.

A battered van came up the road, the knackered exhaust spluttering and puffing along as it came. It pulled up next to the bike, and the driver door burst open. The passenger seat swung open, and a refreshed looking Beatrice Langstrom dropped out and walked over to the other Titans. Cassie flew, litterally flew, out of the cab and embraced Tim, knocking him to the ground. He looked up at Cassie, who was sitting on his chest, grinning like a lunatic.

"Hi," she said simply.

"What is it with all the hugging?" Tim said, trying and failing to get Cassie off of him.

"You're just incredibly lucky," she said, sliding off of him and standing up.

"So...what now?" Vic said, looking around at the group.

"I need you're help with something..."

"With what?" Raven croaked.

"I need you to help me find Rose," he said. There was silence and Cassie's head dropped down.

"Was that the only reason you called us here?" Duela said, the goofy smile dropping off her face.

"No. It's the first reason. I need to find out what happened to her, otherwise I won't be any use to anyone," Tim said, looking slightly ashamed.

"Any other reason?" Cassie said coldly.

"Yes. The world needs us, it needs heroes again, it needs to believe. We need to remember to fight again, to have a cause. Some of us haven't done enough. We need to do it for those that aren't here. Those that inspired us. Those that were our friends. Those that loved us, and have left us forever. We do this for the good men that died for no reason. We do this for the good men that died without a cause. We do this for every single wrong thing that has ever happened in this world," Tim said to the reminiscing faces "We do this for the Titans,"

126955-teen-titans_400.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"