DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 2

I am just wondering why DC pulled a Marvel and spoiled the issue so early.

I am just wondering why DC pulled a Marvel and spoiled the issue so early.
To hype events so people talk about them (and it works).

NYT were supposed to break the story on Monday which is the day when stores receive the issue, but did it yesterday instead. :shrug:

::sigh::

Where to begin....

I'm not so much disappointed with the book's content than I am with with the fact that DC spoiled those contents practically 4 days before the issue's release. DC's action in and of itself in light of the X-men spoilers makes sense but to hype it the way they did and then pull this stunt is flat out disengenuous and disrespectful to consumers and retailers alike.

That said, I understand the vitriol to a certain extent but this absurd declaration that Tom King is the worst writer in comic books, after giving us The Sheriff of Babylon, Omega Men, and The Vision, the latter two being amongst two of the genuinely best superhero comics that corner of the medium has produced in a long while, is completely petulant. This is especially true when one considers how profoundly emotional and great his Mister Miracle is.

I also find the claim that this is just a return to the status quo to be equally absurd. There seems to be some pretty significant fall put as a result of this issue that is going to boil over in issues to come. You can't really ignore that. Ignoring it would be returning to the status quo. Character development hasn't ceased. It's still going. The ramifications for both Catwoman and Batman going forward are massive and, divorced from all this controversy, i'm interested in seeing where this goes.

On the other hand, all of the people complaining will hopefully stick to their word and drop the book. Being petulant myself, i can't help but laugh at all the people who were trashing this run from issue 1, refusing to drop it for almost 2 years all the while fanatically hating it, only to have this issue finally push them to dropping it. The sad truth is that even then, the "gap in the collection" will probably keep them buying the book anyway.

::sigh::

Where to begin....

I'm not so much disappointed with the book's content than I am with with the fact that DC spoiled those contents practically 4 days before the issue's release. DC's action in and of itself in light of the X-men spoilers makes sense but to hype it the way they did and then pull this stunt is flat out disengenuous and disrespectful to consumers and retailers alike.

That said, I understand the vitriol to a certain extent but this absurd declaration that Tom King is the worst writer in comic books, after giving us The Sheriff of Babylon, Omega Men, and The Vision, the latter two being amongst two of the genuinely best superhero comics that corner of the medium has produced in a long while, is completely petulant. This is especially true when one considers how profoundly emotional and great his Mister Miracle is.

I also find the claim that this is just a return to the status quo to be equally absurd. There seems to be some pretty significant fall put as a result of this issue that is going to boil over in issues to come. You can't really ignore that. Ignoring it would be returning to the status quo. Character development hasn't ceased. It's still going. The ramifications for both Catwoman and Batman going forward are massive and, divorced from all this controversy, i'm interested in seeing where this goes.

On the other hand, all of the people complaining will hopefully stick to their word and drop the book. Being petulant myself, i can't help but laugh at all the people who were trashing this run from issue 1, refusing to drop it for almost 2 years all the while fanatically hating it, only to have this issue finally push them to dropping it. The sad truth is that even then, the "gap in the collection" will probably keep them buying the book anyway.
From comments of people who have read the issue, it's apparently still a great, emotional story. There's also a coda at the end that supposedly will tie everything up.

I'll probably drop the book after #50, not mostly because of the disappointment, but because books will now be 3.99 even for double-shipping monthly books. I'll still pull Jones's Catwoman, though.

i really liked 50 from the perspectives of bruce and selina
not feeling the ending

Thought Batman 50 was pretty good, it didn’t end how I expected it to. But to see that ending does tie it all back to the basically almost the beginning of this rebirth.

I thought the ending was a bit gutless and missed a huge opportunity to do something groundbreaking. Still, I am intrigued by some of the themes presented, which although they are nothing new, I will give King credit for exploring them from a different angle. The big question for me is:

what’s the deal with Gotham Girl, Skeets and Thomas Wayne at the end? Are they somehow under the influence of Psycho Pirate? And how does he control Thomas Wayne and Skeets? How is Thomas Wayne even around? Where has Gotham Girl been and why has it felt like Batman totally forgot about her?

The whole thing seems a little too ambitious and I don’t trust King to offer sufficient explanation for all of this.

Interviews with King have reassured me, to an extent. And given his stated plans, I think we can all be thankful he didn't fridge anyone. I'm reading his run in trades, so it will be a while before I read the actual issue.

The Batman 50 discussion is definitely the hot topic but I’m equally curious what everyone thinks of the conclusion of Bendis’ Man of Steel

I expected Batman 50 to be what it was, so nothing surprised me there. MoS on the other hand, is a fresh, new feeling of disappointment and pessimism going forward.

Well, given the uproar over the New York Times spoiling Batman #50, I decided to wait for the issue to come out in order to write my review. And the end result? IMO, calling this issue a disappointment is a real understatement.

Stillanerd Reviews: Batman vol 3 #50 review

Gonna re-read Batman #50 again before giving my thoughts in full, but i did like it.

However, i was beyond disappointed with Catwoman #1. It was about as generic a first issue as they come, that has a completely arbitrary and ultimately worthless link to Batman #50. Otherwise, it seemed completely divorced from the main Batman narrative and devoid of a larger context.

The art was nice and so was the matte paper. But the issue itself wad disappointing.

I’m no fan of this comic, either, but the scene with Alfred and Bruce, I gotta admit, that was well done. It only makes me even more angry at the ending.

I'm generally quite a traditionalist when it comes to superhero costumes, so I was pleased to see the return of Superman's red trunks (all we have to do is see Batman gets his trunks back...and the yellow oval logo too), but has the costume change been explained anywhere in the comics themselves? I know it's been referenced but has Superman said why he decided to go pro-trunks again?

So now we know, he basically had nothing else to wear...

Finished up MoS-- Absolutely loved it.

Bendis totally nails Clark/Superman's voice and mind in a way I haven't felt in years. The right balance of warmth and charm, bravery and insecurity and humour... Ugh, so good. I'd like to see a certain side of Superman expanded on that no one other than Morrison has really touched since the 80's-- his purely 'weird' side. Give me that, and this guy's perfect.

I've seen a lot of complaints about Bendis Speak over the years, but other then the occasional bum line that every writer has, I was overjoyed by what I was reading. The Bendis Speak only came up in a negative way a couple of times ("Caca poo poo"). For some reason I don't even remember-- I only read a few full issues of Rebirth Superman, right after Superman Reborn, and found the dialogue absolutely amateurish and painful to get through, so this was a big breath of fresh air. Though from what I understand, post-Reborn that run started running out of steam, so I might go back and try the first half of it. Loved that AC#1000 story they did, though.

Bendis also nails the voices of each League member*. I've never been interested in Kara enough to know whether she was 100% in character here, but I really enjoyed her none the less. Looking forward to checking out her new space adventure to see if that hooks me.

*Argument could be made that Barry sounded too much like Wally, but hell, that's what a LOT of writers are doing nowadays.

The Jon/Lois decision certainly felt rushed. I felt he could have teased it all less in the first few issues and let the argument/discussion happen earlier and longer, just to really make it feel earned. But overall I loved where both of Lois and Jon are coming from in their decisions and can't wait to see what baggage each brings back from this.

I can't stand Jor-El being around, but that's not Bendis's fault-- I liked the tension between he and Kal and since we're stuck with him, they may as well explore it.

The pacing throughout the series could have been better. It was spinning its wheels-- plot wise-- for a good couple of issues there. Luckily, the characters themselves were so good that it didn't feel like a pain to get through. Far from it. Also, that glorious weekly schedule no doubt helped alleviate things. But the pace of this last issue, for instance, was really great for me. As was the sheer emotion of them saying goodbye to each other, by the way.

And there were little contrivances like... Rogol (who started out well, but ended up a little flat) stabbed Superman in the chest in AC#1000, but that's never a thing here. And twice he knocks Superman out and, rather than finish the job, he does a "tactical retreat" (as Wonder Woman puts it). That didn't work for me.

Every artist, it goes without saying, was a treat for the eyes.

I'm eagerly awaiting his run proper now, and seeing how he expands on the Daily Planet/Metropolis/the world of Superman the way he said he would.

Last edited:
I thought Bendis does well with Supes. But I loved Tomasi as well.

I hate everything that’s been done to Jor-El. But I agree that isn’t Bendis’ fault

I am just wondering when they are going to bring Conner back now that they brought
Bart
back.

I am just wondering when they are going to bring Conner back now that they brought
Bart
back.

When/where did that happen? I am interested in this.

Edit: found an article about it. More questions than answers, really.

[blackout] Bart has been around since the New 52. Does New 52 Bart still exist? Why was this one (the "real" Bart) trapped behind some speed force wall? [/blackout]

There may be answers to these that I just don't know, but it's pretty confusing. Especially since the Tim that's in Detective Comics is apparently the same as New 52, just soft retconned back into old Tim Drake.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"