DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 2

Brian Michael Bendis is writing a new Young Justice book.
Reuniting Tim (as Robin, not Red Robin apparently), Connor and Bart. Art shows Cassie too.

Sign me up for that. Wish it was somebody that handles teams and ensembles better than Bendis, but I'll take what I can get.

Sounds nice. I’m on the fence with Bendis. He’s odd because his stories generally suck but his execution is good.

I am irritated at his Superman because it had been going strong by tapping into Clark’s relationship with Jonathan and Lois, but first thing Bendis does when coming on is shoot them off into space.

I've been loving Bendis's Superman. The story he's set up in SUPERMAN is very good and, while the story is dragging a bit, the characterization has been tops. SUPERMAN #4 is probably my favorite so far. But it keeps getting better and better. And Ivan Reis's art is tops.

ACTION #1003 had one of my favorite Batman/Superman moments in it. I'm a little less taken by Action Comics but I'm interested to see where it goes.

Lois comes back next issue and Jonathan comes back in either the following issue or 1006. While they may be gone from the main narrative, their presence is felt throughout both titles. Their physical absence has made for some poignant character moments for Superman that I love.

I didn't care for his Man of Steel, so I haven't gotten into Bendis' Superman.

I've been loving Bendis's Superman. The story he's set up in SUPERMAN is very good and, while the story is dragging a bit, the characterization has been tops. SUPERMAN #4 is probably my favorite so far. But it keeps getting better and better. And Ivan Reis's art is tops.

ACTION #1003 had one of my favorite Batman/Superman moments in it. I'm a little less taken by Action Comics but I'm interested to see where it goes.

Lois comes back next issue and Jonathan comes back in either the following issue or 1006. While they may be gone from the main narrative, their presence is felt throughout both titles. Their physical absence has made for some poignant character moments for Superman that I love.

I'm of the opposite mindset. I prefer what Bendis is doing in Action comics vs. the main Superman line.

Overall, though, I wish would they would have given one of the books to a different writer.

That's the publishers' problem when it comes to Bendis. They always give him too much control. Does he really need to write every Super-book?

Same thing happened at Marvel. He had control over too many things...and he writes everybody the same way.

I really think Bendis would be a good editor for a family of books, but let someone else do the day-to-day writing.

I'm so freaking excited for Amethyst to show up in Young Justice! I really got into her new 52 series and it made me go back and read the original run which is even better.

Shocked no one has weighed in on the ending of the latest Batman vs KGBeast confrontation

I’ve loved the depiction of Superman post-Rebirth. Showing him as a family man, a devoted husband and father has been awesome. Now Bendis comes in and says “nope.”

He jettisons Jonathan into space as soon as he takes over...now there is all of this discussion between Clark and Lois about how they can’t be “normal”. I don’t trust the direction he’s going.

He jettisons Jonathan into space as soon as he takes over...now there is all of this discussion between Clark and Lois about how they can’t be “normal”. I don’t trust the direction he’s going.

That wasn't my takeaway at all from Action #1004. If anything, it came off as a reaffirmation and even a celebration of what they've always been as a couple and as a family. They're anything but normal. The issue also showed how much Clark and Lois love one another. Bendis has also stated more times than I can count that he is NOT breaking them up. We'll see where it goes, but so far I'm loving what Bendis is doing. The character work has been spot on and very engrossing.

Hope you guys are right. I guess I’m just a curmudgeon who doesn’t go along with changes very well.

I'm so freaking excited for Amethyst to show up in Young Justice! I really got into her new 52 series and it made me go back and read the original run which is even better.

I still haven’t gotten around to reading Nu52 Amethyst.

Just read the first two issues of Bendis Superman. It hasn't been my favorite so far. But I'll keep reading it. Ivan Reis art is so great.

Also picked up Action Comics #1000 gonna try and get caught up.

I have not been a fan of Bendis Superman. I mean I understand what he is trying to do but the writing just seems off to me. I also don't see why they needed to give him both titles. I am just hoping they take him off the book soon. I am also hoping they go back to the rebirth suit.

I have not been a fan of Bendis Superman. I mean I understand what he is trying to do but the writing just seems off to me. I also don't see why they needed to give him both titles. I am just hoping they take him off the book soon. I am also hoping they go back to the rebirth suit.
Does he still have the trunks (again) now?

Does he still have the trunks (again) now?
yes and they're nothing wrong with that but I liked it when Man of Steel and the New 52 took them away. I even liked the updated Rebirth look. I just don't see the need to add them back.

Anyone pick up "The Green Lantern" #1? I thought it was wonderful, and perhaps one of the most beautifully illustrated comic books I've seen in a long time, with a weird mash up of old pulp illustrations, Steve Ditko and Steve Bissette & John Tottleben.

I've always been turned off by the Green Lantern titles given my disliking of Geoff Johns and the sameness that followed his run on the books. So Morrison excited me because I knew it would be different and I wasn't disappointed. While Morrison is a bit hit-or-miss with me, I was pretty engaged and entertained throughout. The callbacks and expansion on many of the concepts introduced back in the 60's by John Broome and Gil Kane were very much welcomed, and the matter-of-fact portrayal of Hal as an alpha-male nowhere man who knows what he's doing (as opposed to a deconstructed hero with problems) was great as well. Unless Morrison really goes off the rails, I'm in for the long haul.

Anyone pick up "The Green Lantern" #1? I thought it was wonderful, and perhaps one of the most beautifully illustrated comic books I've seen in a long time, with a weird mash up of old pulp illustrations, Steve Ditko and Steve Bissette & John Tottleben.

I've always been turned off by the Green Lantern titles given my disliking of Geoff Johns and the sameness that followed his run on the books. So Morrison excited me because I knew it would be different and I wasn't disappointed. While Morrison is a bit hit-or-miss with me, I was pretty engaged and entertained throughout. The callbacks and expansion on many of the concepts introduced back in the 60's by John Broome and Gil Kane were very much welcomed, and the matter-of-fact portrayal of Hal as an alpha-male nowhere man who knows what he's doing (as opposed to a deconstructed hero with problems) was great as well. Unless Morrison really goes off the rails, I'm in for the long haul.

I’m a trade waiter and unfortunately I’ll have to wait a while to get to this. Grant is one of my favorite writers and Hal is my favorite DC character, so I’m excited for this run.

That is pretty much my reaction to Morrison books after holding the Superman titles hostage when starting the new 52 that all the titles were out of sync till he left.

Picked up the new Martian Manhunter book against my better judgement. Plot-wise, I see where it's going, and that's fine, despite my being iffy on the basic premise so far. But I found the execution of the book itself difficult to follow and some of the dialogue was simply awful. It was almost like Orlando, whose work, outside of an issue of Midnighter and some of the Monster Men crossover in Batman, I am unfamiliar with, was unable to decide what dialogue to cut so just put in everything. I may check out issue 2 but I first need to re-read issue 1.

Moving on, I LOVED Batman #60 and hope that Jorge Fornes does more work on the title. I'm loving where King has been going post #50 and i'm anxiously awaiting the payoff.

Morrison's Green Lantern was also great. It's so matter-of-fact and I love how everything on that scale is treated so mundanely.

Shazam #1 was lots of fun.

Finally got around to reading Martian Manhunter #1. It was a big “hmmmm. I don’t know.” Really the jury’s still out on it. I couldn’t help but compare it to King’s Mister Miracle, which is totally unfair to Martian Manhunter. I should have a better feel for it after the next issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"