DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 2

Aquaman sells less than 30,000 copies a month, which is pretty bad. They'll be lucky to sell half that for its spin-off.

Really? That is a crime on its own.
What makes people enjoy Kings awful Batman Run more than Aquaman who has been consistantly great since...well years?

The Current Aquaman Arc is absolutly fantastic, i dont get it.

Anyway...The Batman who Laughs.
Wasnt something really unexpected, i would have hoped for something more twisted as "reason" and all that...but it worked.
The Issue was done well and felt really disturbing to me.
The idea of Bruce snapping, going crazy etc and killing his family/friends etc is always so unsettling to me.
I mean its scary to think that Darkseid, Zod take over the world or that some villian defeats the heroes...but Batman turning into a crazy psychopath and killing his friends and family just has something even more disturbing to me.

I will need to go over the issue a couple of times because there is so much to see, but i would say it is my favorite "origins" story so far when it comes to the Evil "Batmans".

Last edited:
Really? That is a crime on its own.
What makes people enjoy Kings awful Batman Run more than Aquaman who has been consistantly great since...well years?

The Current Aquaman Arc is absolutly fantastic, i dont get it.
Because it’s Aquaman.

While people who love Aquaman really LOVE Aquaman and are openly passionate about the character, the reality is most comic fans are indifferent to him, at best. No matter how good his comics may be.

Because it’s Aquaman.

While people who love Aquaman really LOVE Aquaman and are openly passionate about the character, the reality is most comic fans are indifferent to him, at best. No matter how good his comics may be.

Probably.
I gave Aquaman a chance some years ago and have not regreted it one second.

The Throne of Atlantis crossover with Justice League (which was what I was reading at the time) keyed me in to how good his title could be. Then I got caught up and became a huge fan. Those post-Johns never quite matched his quality (few do), but it was still enjoyable until they started just ripping off American politics. Then it got boring and predictable for the few issues I read of the current direction.

Manapul will now be doing variant covers for Action Comics:

yFadgj6.jpg

Liam Sharp will write and draw the 6-issue mini Bats/Wondy Brave and the Bold.

8taayikzofyz.jpg

https://www.newsarama.com/37397-the...an-brings-celtic-myth-to-the-dc-universe.html

Last edited:
Wonder if that's a title that could move from creative team to creative team every six issues or so. Either on Twitter or in an interview he did, Sharp mentions that it was DC's idea to add the Brave and the Bold headline to it, so I wonder if they've got plans...

I've been waiting for the return of The Brave and the Bold for a while now.

Reading about how Action Comics 1000 is going to be a main story by Jurgens and Tomasi, with what are I guess a bunch of back-up stories by different writers and artists (I think I saw Johns and Richard Donner mentioned) has me thinking that'll be Bendis' first official DC work.

Aside from that Citizen Wayne story anyway.

I have been an outspoken critic of King's Batman. But this week's Annual 2 was beautiful. A masterpiece.

Last edited:
I have been an outspoken critic of King's Batman. But this week's issue was beautiful. A masterpiece.
Holy Bat-feels! :waa: Now I'll have to read the Super Sons Pets annual to cheer me up...

Love the fact that the Elmer Fudd crossover is in continuity. :woot:

Another fine Bat-book this week is Busiek's Creature of the Night. If you liked his Superman: Secret Identity book then pick it up (4-issue mini).

Just wanted to pop in here and say that Batman Annual #2 was probably one of the best comics that I've read this year. Artwork by Lee Weeks is gorgeous and Tom King took me by surprise with a wholesome jab filled with all sorts of feels to the gut. :up:

The focus on Batman and Catwoman and the overall sweet tone of the story sets it apart from most run-of-the-mill Annuals, though I personally continue to see the chemistry between Bat and Cat as a bit too staid and overly poetic for my tastes. I prefer a sardonic, sarcastic, and sassy rapport between the two, and the repitition is, yes, a bit grating.

Regarding the Batman Annual...

As a person who is terrified of dementia, I've never considered someone like Batman coming down with it (or at least it looks like he does). That hit me hard. And of course, the way it ends also got me right in the feels. And then another subtle one that caught me off guard once I realized it is the sudden disappearance of Alfred, realizing that he'd been quietly lost sometime along the way. Yes, this book SEEMS to be a standalone other worlds tale, but man was it a good one.

Thinking about the impending end of Blue Beetle is so frustrating. I was so hyped for that book, especially with Giffen writing, but he really dropped the ball on just about every level.

Thinking about the impending end of Blue Beetle is so frustrating. I was so hyped for that book, especially with Giffen writing, but he really dropped the ball on just about every level.

Did Ted Kord ever show up in the book? I just know he popped up in the Rebirth special, but dunno if he ever showed up in the actual BB book.

Regarding the Batman Annual...

As a person who is terrified of dementia, I've never considered someone like Batman coming down with it (or at least it looks like he does). That hit me hard. And of course, the way it ends also got me right in the feels. And then another subtle one that caught me off guard once I realized it is the sudden disappearance of Alfred, realizing that he'd been quietly lost sometime along the way. Yes, this book SEEMS to be a standalone other worlds tale, but man was it a good one.

I loved all the Annuals for just that reason, even GA. Very touching stories and quite sweet. Though I'll admit, the Batman story was rough.

Did Ted Kord ever show up in the book? I just know he popped up in the Rebirth special, but dunno if he ever showed up in the actual BB book.

Yeah, he was there as a mentor of sorts to Jaime, but it was barely even Ted. I was boring, one-note, nothing like the Ted that Giffen previously made so many readers love. And they missed a huge opportunity for failing to tie his return into the wider events of Rebirth, as his sudden return was left completely unexplained.

I loved all the Annuals for just that reason, even GA. Very touching stories and quite sweet. Though I'll admit, the Batman story was rough.

I really liked the GA Annual. Aquaman Annual was a great story but the art was waaaaayyyy off.

I really liked the GA Annual. Aquaman Annual was a great story but the art was waaaaayyyy off.

I couldn't agree more. Everyone had a bad case of Down's Syndrome. It was painful to look at.

Yeah, he was there as a mentor of sorts to Jaime, but it was barely even Ted. I was boring, one-note, nothing like the Ted that Giffen previously made so many readers love. And they missed a huge opportunity for failing to tie his return into the wider events of Rebirth, as his sudden return was left completely unexplained.

That's disappointing. If anybody should've had a crack at bring Ted back in a meaningful way, it should've been Giffen.

Maybe Ted'll get some love with the Booster Gold story coming up in Action Comics.

Ummmm. What has gotten into Tom King’s Batman? This is 2 issues and an Annual in a row that I have thoroughly enjoyed. I think he writes Selina very well.

Ummmm. What has gotten into Tom King’s Batman? This is 2 issues and an Annual in a row that I have thoroughly enjoyed. I think he writes Selina very well.

Same I really haven’t enjoyed any of his run on Batman until these recent issues.

Also side note, can’t wait for The Brave and The Bold.

Only have seen a few pages and so on...yeah no.
Cringy and Cheesy is all i see...but i guess that fits Selina Kyle.:woot:

I have to admit that i do miss having the newest Batman Issues but i rather have none than Kings whatever he does.
There is still plenty of batman to be found in the rest of the DC universe so there is that.

I just dont feel it with King.
Nothing about his writing strikes me as fit for Batman, it just doesnt work for me personally.

Last edited:
Probably.
I gave Aquaman a chance some years ago and have not regreted it one second.
Same here. Since I began I never regretted it. I don't get why the sells are so low. I love it. It's a good title.
Well, I mean, is it such a problem ? I mean, not every comics sells a lot. So there is a small fan base, then ok, it's a small fan base.

I think Aquaman suffers the same problem than Superman : Prejudice. People have an idea of what Aquaman is without reading it. And most people only know batman, and mostly batman.
I'm glad they keep going with the character because it's a good comic and each chance I have to talk about the character to someone gives a possibility for this person to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"