DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 2

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Thread Manager, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Babillygunn

Babillygunn Tag team champion

I loved the Shiva arc. I’ve always felt the relationship between her and Cassandra is untapped potential. And I loved Lonely Place Of Dying and feel that it is continued well with the Super Sons Of Tomorrow story.

I love Detective but all that said, it does feel overcrowded sometimes. And Kate isn’t really that likable. The stuff with Stephanie seemed like it had potential but I agree it was just kind of dropped.

2. CrimsonMist

CrimsonMist Well-Known Member

Count me in as someone who largely enjoys King's run on Batman. It's not perfect by any means, but I enjoy his staccato style of writing. It's fun, humorous, and I enjoy seeing King chip away at Bruce's emotional wall with the Catwoman engagement. This Bruce seems a little more human, and I like seeing that reconciled with being Batman. It may be "off" but I have a tendency to gravitate towards that kind of stuff. Given how much I HATED Snyder's run, having the Batman title slow down and stop trying to tell "earth shattering event" stories is much more appealing.

I also tried getting into Detective Comics about 3 times and could never finish the arcs. I was into the Lonely Place of Living arc and then time travel and alternate timelines and all that other stuff happened and I immediately lost interest.

3. CaptainWagner

CaptainWagner Cool. Cool cool cool.

Detective is still great, but I agree on the stuff with Spoiler being glossed over and the team feeling overcrowded. Batwing and Azrael are pretty much just there, which sucks because they're probably my favorite team members behind Kate and Cassandra. Plus their suit designs are just incredible.

4. Babillygunn

I will give you this: I do appreciate King’s writing for the more intimate parts of his stories. Some of his highlights have been Batman’s monologue to Alfred when he was facing imminent death on the plane in issue 1, I believe. I found it poignant to see him reflecting on Dick taking over and training Damien. I also loved Annual 2 and everything he has done with Bruce and Selina. I loved the fun Superfriends issues and seeing the contrasts between Clark’s view of Bruce and Bruce’s view of Clark. I also agree on Snyder and his tendency to over dramatize every storyline and have to turn everything into a major event. But with King, my frustration is his refusal to change up narrative styles. What fits in intimate interactions doesn’t necessarily fit when telling an event story. Sometimes direct narratives are called for. Finally it has been hard for me to get over some of the decisions he made during The War of Jokes and Riddles. But I’ve alre said my piece about that.

5. WereCoyote

WereCoyote Well-Known Member

So after having read Metal #4 I'm surprised no one has mentioned Batman's blatant Infinity Gauntlet Ripoff, the Kryptonite Gauntlet.

6. geetard

geetard Rebirth

Looks like Bendis will make his DC debut on Action #1000.

7. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

I had figured as much, with it sounding like it's a big group effort.

8. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Tom King Brings a Superhero Crisis Center to the DCU with Sanctuary
    The concept of the crisis center and what King says about bringing back a sense of community makes me wonder if it's not only about helping them through the violence they encounter, but also [blackout]a greater understanding of what Manhattan did to them and, perhaps, it's unraveling[/blackout]...

9. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Not going to lie, the concept is quite appealing to me.

10. Mani-Man

Mani-Man Well-Known Member

Its sounds interesting, but coming from Tom King is nothing that really excites me to be honest.
    Before his Batman run i would have said yes, but knowing what i know now...im not too hyped.

Maybe this could be more his range however.

11. Babillygunn

Anybody read the latest issue of Titans? I don’t know what to think. I’m completely conflicted.

12. WolfCypher

It was the 1st Titans issue I've liked in a while.

13. Babillygunn

I’ve been ok with Titans because I like the characters. I don’t know what I think about the JL’s actions. Seems really condescending. And Dick needed to man up to Bruce.

14. Babillygunn

WTH did I just see in Batman????

15. geetard

geetard Rebirth

Yeah, this week's Batman definitely won't sit well among many DC readers... I haven't read it yet so I cannot comment. :hehe:

16. geetard

geetard Rebirth

And in other news... [BLACKOUT]Promethea[/BLACKOUT] will join the DCU in JLA.

Watchmen, Tom Strong... When's V's turn?! :o

17. Scarecrow_King

Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

What happened in Batman?

18. geetard

geetard Rebirth

Diana being written OOC: she flirts with Bruce knowing he's engaged and she's with Steve. And the last page ends with a cliffhanger with WonderBats about to kiss (not sure about this one). Next issue is the last part of the Superfriends arc, so we'll see what happens next...

19. Mani-Man

Mani-Man Well-Known Member

You need to be more specific there, its Tom King afterall...you are bound to question what in gods name he writes.

From what i gather he has written a issue that pretty much pissed off a whole lot of people.

Wonder Woman fans because he wrote her OOC, Batman fans for writing him OOC(at this point it is nothing new there), The Batcat shippers that are suddenly upset that he might do something at the cost of Selina(which is weird since they didnt care about it when he blows sugar into selinas ass at the expense of every other character), The wonderbat shippers who dont buy into his whole baiting one bit and are more offended than anbody...and a lot of people in between it all.

As a Wonderbat shipper i can absolutly say that i rather have no wonderbat than one built at the cost of other characters.
    I expected King do something awful with Diana when we heard that she would appear, but i didnt thought he would go into that direction.

Its just a mess from what i gather and i assume this will not be a issue King will look back very fondly.

Anyway...

Superman 39 was just cheesy and weird, reminded me of the good old times when comics were easy.
    It was so weird considering what goes on in the Justice league comics.
    Having such a "child friendly" feel good story is a bit weird but i must say that i honestly had my fun with it.

Super sons is really such a great series, i love how you can see the characters grow over the course of the series and how they become friends etc.

20. Babillygunn

I really enjoy the occasional good old days cheese fest issues like the newest Superman issue. I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I also loved the ones where they went on vacation to DC.

And yes, Super Sons is one of the best written comics on the market today. What a treat. Rebirth has restored Superman in a huge way. Jon is a great addition.

21. geetard

geetard Rebirth

22. Scarecrow_King

Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

About damn time.

23. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

You forgot to include the fact that WW and Bats were trapped in something like an alternate dimension where time passes differently than in the our world. While they were only gone for 1-2 days in "real time", WW and Bats had been trapped there together for what amounted to 10 years in their time with no possibility to ever escape in sight. The kissing cliffhanger you're referring to comes after Bruce and Diana resisted temptation of hooking up for a decade. After admitting to each other that it doesn't seems like they'll every be able to return "home", the cliffhanger makes it appear as if the two of them will finally give in to their natural urges.

I personally have no problem with it, and it was something interesting to explore. It's not really about Wonder Woman or the "shipping" of Bruce and Diana, but rather, it's an extreme test for Bruce, Selina, and their relationship -- Bruce being "trapped on a deserted island" with a beautiful woman and holding out hope to return to Selina for 10 years, Selina realizing that 10 years had passed where Bruce and Diana were trapped and obviously assuming the worst (that he had already given in to those urges), etc. Will Bruce give in to his urges? Probably not, but even if he doesn't, will Selina ever believe him or trust that nothing ever happened between him and WW over that 10 year period?

Also, I've seen a bunch of complaints about the way King wrote WW's dialogue in this issue. Maybe it's just me, but I kind of dug it and it seems like he wrote WW as if it were Gal Gadot speaking.

24. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

Are the trunks just a temporary thing for #1,000 or just for the cover, or are they back to stay? The article doesn't really specify.

I don't have a problem with it either way, but I really like the costume Supers has been sporting ever since the 'Superman Reborn' arc was completed.

25. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Since they got rid of the collar at the start of Rebirth, I haven't really had an issue with the new trunk-less suit. If they give him back the trunks, I'll live. And if it's just for one issue, same.