The Dark Knight Rises Design a new Cowl for Robin

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I thought you meant Pscyho Robin from DKSA.

Yeah, the Robin-chick.....I'm fine with her.

ah. that explains the pshyco reference- just assumed you didnt like her lol. I never was able to finish DKSA, unfortunitly I know what happens and I think I dont want to finish it so I can keep my respect for ole' Grayson, and Frank Miller.

Oh, yes, pyscho robin from DK2. Shhh. don't spoil it!

Trust me.......you'll lose respect for Miller AND Grayson after that.

I'm the exception. I still have gobs of respect for both of them.

Keyser Sushi said:
Drawn by Super Scar and colored by Crazy Monkey:

rob3.jpg

I like that suit, and the coloring of that mask, but I prefer the attitude of this one, also by Super Scar:

robin.jpg

And the mask on this one, but with the red lenses:

robinc2.jpg

Again, all credit to Super Scar for these. View the rest of his wonderful artwork in this thread.
GOD, great artwork... but the concepts suck. And I don't mean his designs or ideas. I mean the concept of Robin, the child vigilante, tag along.

Me too, b/c I had my brain mindwiped by Zanatanna of that entire experience.

I think there's like one other person on the Hype that actually likes DK2.

Whack Arnolds said:
GOD, great artwork... but the concepts suck. And I don't mean his designs or ideas. I mean the concept of Robin, the child vigilante, tag along.

Couldnt agree more - I actually think the 1st designs really good (and certainly matches stylisticallt with the BB design) but yeah, the concept of Robin 'the child vigilante' as you say is absurd (an teenager of maybe 15+ I can just about buy but a kid beating up on fully grown men?) and Nolan shares this view.
Hence no Robin for a few years at least.

Yeah, I agree that while Nolan is helming the franchise Robin in uniform or fighting grown men will not happen. I would rather see WB give a series to Nightwing instead of the upcoming Aquaman project. In my opinion the Nightwing character could make a great series kinda like Birds of Prey but with more Batman characters appearing and the occassional appearence from the Bat himself.

"Kinda like Birds of Prey" are words nobody should ever have to use.

A kid sidekick,it's like you guys want so badly for this next movie to suck.

GoldGoblin said:
A kid sidekick,it's like you guys want so badly for this next movie to suck.

'Cause Batman having a kid as a sidekick makes so little sense for the character. I mean, Robin's been around since what, the 10th issue of Batman? Completely not a part of the mythos.

Leto Atrides said:
'Cause Batman having a kid as a sidekick makes so little sense for the character. I mean, Robin's been around since what, the 10th issue of Batman? Completely not a part of the mythos.

Well Batman also had a fiance since the first issue of Batman - it doesnt mean it was a good idea.:) I respect Robin's place in the mythos, I just believe that with the realistic edge Begins is going for - a 12 year old combat partner is not a smart idea. Now a 16-17 year old scout makes more sense IMO.

Yeah, I never said Robin should be in the bat-sequels. I'd be just as happy not to see him.

BUT --

I don't dislike the character, nor do I think it's as absurd as some here make it out to be. If Robin were about 13 and full of anger, and was going to go looking for revenge no matter what - the only way Batman could protect him is to train him.

THEN I could see it working.

Also, with martial arts - believe it or not - a kid CAN kick an adult's ass.

It's physically possible.

I think if they did Robin, they should do it as a controlled story arc - have Robin start out as young kid who needs guidance lest he get himself killed in his quest for vengeance - Batman takes him under his wing and the dynamic is sort of Ra's and Bruce from "Begins," then over the next film or two, the missions serve double-duty as training for Robin, until he is able to take down the person who orphaned him.

In the course of that adventure, Batman and Robin have a falling out and Robin leaves. He's gone for a couple movies and comes back as Nightwing for a guest-shot in a film, and then his arc is done.

Of course, it'll never happen.

But the point I'm trying to make is that Robin COULD be done well. Just because he hasn't been done well yet doesn't mean it isn't possible. It just means people haven't done it yet.

I've always felt like Super Scar's designs were a bunch of good starts at something that never came together. I liked elements of all of them. So, here I am with what I consider a more finished design.

(Note that I said MORE finished, and not just "finished")

I'm gonna add color to this later, I think.

By later I mean, another day. :D

RobinBegins_SM.jpg

I like it, but what's with the turtleneck?

Ronny Shade said:
I like it, but what's with the turtleneck?

You'll have to ask SuperScar... most of his Robin Designs have it in some form or other... the one I used there is the turtleneck from his first design above... actually I used quite a bit of that one - the whole torso, to be exact.

Don't know why, but I love the turtleneck. It's strange but it looks kinda cool. I think I'll make it olive green or something, with the red nomex armor on the torso and the rest will be black. Gold belt, Red lenses in the goggles, and, I think, maybe a tan or brown underside on the cape. Robin, but... darkish.

What say thee?

I say keep it, but slim it down. Make it either a collar like on the Daredevil costume, or a form-fitting (possibly lightweight kevlar) that extends about halfway up his neck. Kinda like the neck on Nightwing recently.

Keyser Sushi said:
Yeah, I never said Robin should be in the bat-sequels. I'd be just as happy not to see him.

BUT --

I don't dislike the character, nor do I think it's as absurd as some here make it out to be. If Robin were about 13 and full of anger, and was going to go looking for revenge no matter what - the only way Batman could protect him is to train him.

THEN I could see it working.

Also, with martial arts - believe it or not - a kid CAN kick an adult's ass.

It's physically possible.

I think if they did Robin, they should do it as a controlled story arc - have Robin start out as young kid who needs guidance lest he get himself killed in his quest for vengeance - Batman takes him under his wing and the dynamic is sort of Ra's and Bruce from "Begins," then over the next film or two, the missions serve double-duty as training for Robin, until he is able to take down the person who orphaned him.

In the course of that adventure, Batman and Robin have a falling out and Robin leaves. He's gone for a couple movies and comes back as Nightwing for a guest-shot in a film, and then his arc is done.

Of course, it'll never happen.

But the point I'm trying to make is that Robin COULD be done well. Just because he hasn't been done well yet doesn't mean it isn't possible. It just means people haven't done it yet.

Bravo!

I think way too many fans are misinterpreting Nolan's vision, and I've been trying to make that clear since the formation of this forum. Nolan's vision lies all in the story-telling, guys. It's not about deciding whether or not this or that is most suitable in a so-called "realistic world," because it isn't realistic at all. There's more heart to Batman Begins than that. It is all about how this or that further the telling of the story. In that sense, anything can be done, including Robin.

Okay, so I lied about the timetable. I went ahead and colored it. Now it's late and I must away to bed, but... I give you Robin:

RobinBeginsinColor2.jpg

Whack Arnolds said:

Agreed.

Great artwork though.

Nice coloring job, Keys. What do you use, photoshop?

Ronny Shade said:
Nice coloring job, Keys. What do you use, photoshop?

Thanks. :)

If I had PhotoShop, I'd use it. But I don't, so I use CorelPhoto-Paint, which is basically a PhotoShop clone. :o

El Payaso said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack Arnolds

Agreed.

Great artwork though.

You and Whack just need to think a little harder about Robin. It doesn't have to be about a "tag-along" or anything.

I would also make the case that Robin quit being a child the day his parents died in front of him. After all, isn't that what happened to Bruce? The thing you need to think about is that Robin is a reflection of Batman. Bruce sees himself in Dick. And he wants to help.

After all, Batman's mission is to help people. To keep others from having to suffer like him. He can't bring Dick's parents back, but he can offer guidance, right?

Keyser Sushi said:
You and Whack just need to think a little harder about Robin. It doesn't have to be about a "tag-along" or anything.

I would also make the case that Robin quit being a child the day his parents died in front of him. After all, isn't that what happened to Bruce? The thing you need to think about is that Robin is a reflection of Batman. Bruce sees himself in Dick. And he wants to help.

After all, Batman's mission is to help people. To keep others from having to suffer like him. He can't bring Dick's parents back, but he can offer guidance, right?

Guidance as in training an underage boy to put his life under risk every night? I don't think any 16 y.o. kid needs that as a guidance or as a picnic day for that matter. It's not helping the kid either. It is condemning the kid to follow a very twisted way of thinking/acting.

Also, prevent Dick to find a true family and keep him living with an adult bachelor is no guidance either. Robin can think he's quitting his childhood, but everybody's else obligation (Bruce's one included) is to help the kid to find a normal/healthy life. Robin is the exact opposite of that.

Because Dick reflects Batman is why Batman shouldn't and wouldn't use the kid as a extension of himself, whether Dick wants it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"