Dexter - Part 6

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Thread Manager, Sep 21, 2013.

1. BeserkerHilf Registered

Felt fine in the moment, but reading reactions does dampen it for me. Feels like a first draft.

Why doesn’t Dexter EVER ask for a lawyer? Provides a scenario where Angela, having hit a wall with the interrogation process. calls up Batista. They have a meaningful confrontation with Dexter, nail him dead to rights, and montage your way to the lethal injection.

2. Slick Yup

Ok so I’ve read the spoilers before I watched the episode and I just finished and this was still so compelling from beginning to end. I thought this was a fantastic end to the series and those final moments were so emotional and that final line hit me so much.
    Let me die, so my son can live
    Now their both free.

3. NotNickFury Registered

This finale felt pretty easy to me. I know Dexter in its latter seasons wasn't written as well as 1-4, but it felt so telegraphed that Dexter would meet his downfall. All his talk of being a phoenix that rises from the ashes, it being a new day- could you make it any more obvious that Dexter wasn't going to make it out of this?

The thing is that had Dexter not killed Logan, he might've had a compelling argument. Sure, the cameras were off, but he could say he told Angela the location of where Kurt kept those bodies. That wouldn't get the heat off of Dexter, yeah, and we've seen his mounting desperation, but him killing Logan and then calling Harrison from Logan's phone were rookie mistakes. Mistakes that Dexter of the past wouldn't make, but again, I get how desperate Dexter was.

It is weird to revisit Batista in this last episode, have him say that he's on the way, and then not see him show up. Not just for the possibility of a reunion with Dexter, but to see what he could contribute. Hell, maybe he'd drag Masuka along with him.

At the end of the day, Harrison being the one to put down Dexter does feel poetic in a way. I just wish the buildup to this moment was better handled because, again, it all felt so telegraphed.

#928 NotNickFury, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  4. P Supreme Registered

He was willing to kill Angela when he was being arrested until coach showed up

5. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

Honestly, this 10 episode season should have been like what season 5B was for Breaking Bad (where they showed the downfall of Walter White).

6. NotNickFury Registered

Minor note, and I only noticed this through screenshots of Batista's email, but it's nice to see that Masuka got engaged!

7. Mysteryman Registered

Poetic Justice.
    My thought, too.

8. Mysteryman Registered

In the end, Pretty Damn Definitive.

9. Mysteryman Registered

This version of Deb really represents the guilt Dexter felt for his role in his sisters death.

Teelie likes this.
  10. Mysteryman Registered

NOPE!

11. Mysteryman Registered

As it turns out,Astute Observations.

Teelie, The Shape and flickchick85 like this.
  12. Erik20 Registered

Thank you Captain Hindsight for digging that up. What would we do without you.

13. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

Didn’t notice that. Nice Easter egg!

14. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I didn't like the ending. I hate endings like that. Liked the show though.

15. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Oh dear lord.....I missed that, but my condolences. :yay:

Mysteryman likes this.
  16. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

that might be considered a spoiler

17. Mysteryman Registered

Good Point.
    I deleted it.

18. BeserkerHilf Registered

On the one hand, I hate fandoms that think as if they know the works better than the creators. On the other, I am downright tired of creators refusing to give into this boogeyman they call fan-service. Subversion is reading as contempt for your audience, when the reality is you’re delusional that your voice is the only valid one in the room.

this series and finale was for the most solid until that sudden turn in the jail cell and subsequent flooring it, warp speed, to ending. This is the redemption arc of the series as a whole, treat it as such and give us a super sized finale to let it breathe.

Teelie and Mysteryman like this.
  19. The Shape In the shadows

Yep. Even though I called it and things played out how I thought they would, I do agree that the execution of the concept was lacking. Seems like they would have benefitted from an extra episode or two. Harrison's flip flop happened a little too quickly and everything ended too abruptly.

I agree that Dex had to go. It is what he deserved. But I do think there could have been some kind of short epilogue scene showing Dexter being exposed all over the news, reaction shots of some old characters, or something that effect. Would have helped to wrap things up a little better.

20. Incarnadine Registered

Pretty good season overall, not the best but vastly superior to the last 3 seasons.
    There were a few holes, but one of these that bothered me most is that Dexter lived there for years and during all that time there was an active serial killer in a small town without him noticing.
    Hell, he was dating the sherriff and she had a whole board of missing girls, that should have been more than enough to pique Dexter's interest.
    Sure, after years in the town he probably got complacent and rusty, but he would have been near the top of his game when he first arrived

21. Mysteryman Registered

I would have been okay with what you suggest, that last little bit.

22. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

I think what bothers me the most is that they mixed up m99 for ketamine. I wouldn’t normally care for the error but they wrote it in such a way that it was a big part of how Angela figured out Dexter was the BHB.

RetrogradeOrbit likes this.
  23. Detective Conan Registered

24. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Finally caught the finale and I liked it for the most part. The last 1/3 of the episode felt somewhat rushed though, would have liked if this was an hour and a half episode rather than an hour

Also would have liked to see a Dexter & Angel reunion

25. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I have 1 more episode left to watch. Wife and I probably will watch it tonight. I have enjoyed this a lot. I don't think it is Dexter seasons 1-4 good, but it is better than the latter seasons of the show. At least, pre-finale. We shall see how much I enjoy this finale. Cannot be worse than season 8's ending.