Dexter - Part 6

Felt fine in the moment, but reading reactions does dampen it for me. Feels like a first draft.

Why doesn’t Dexter EVER ask for a lawyer? Provides a scenario where Angela, having hit a wall with the interrogation process. calls up Batista. They have a meaningful confrontation with Dexter, nail him dead to rights, and montage your way to the lethal injection.

Ok so I’ve read the spoilers before I watched the episode and I just finished and this was still so compelling from beginning to end. I thought this was a fantastic end to the series and those final moments were so emotional and that final line hit me so much.
Let me die, so my son can live
Now their both free.

This finale felt pretty easy to me. I know Dexter in its latter seasons wasn't written as well as 1-4, but it felt so telegraphed that Dexter would meet his downfall. All his talk of being a phoenix that rises from the ashes, it being a new day- could you make it any more obvious that Dexter wasn't going to make it out of this?

The thing is that had Dexter not killed Logan, he might've had a compelling argument. Sure, the cameras were off, but he could say he told Angela the location of where Kurt kept those bodies. That wouldn't get the heat off of Dexter, yeah, and we've seen his mounting desperation, but him killing Logan and then calling Harrison from Logan's phone were rookie mistakes. Mistakes that Dexter of the past wouldn't make, but again, I get how desperate Dexter was.

It is weird to revisit Batista in this last episode, have him say that he's on the way, and then not see him show up. Not just for the possibility of a reunion with Dexter, but to see what he could contribute. Hell, maybe he'd drag Masuka along with him.

At the end of the day, Harrison being the one to put down Dexter does feel poetic in a way. I just wish the buildup to this moment was better handled because, again, it all felt so telegraphed.

Last edited:
While I liked Clancy Brown, he was definitely no Ice Truck Killer or Trinity. Definitely better than the brain surgeon though.

One thing I really liked is that they showed Dexter doesn’t kill out of some moral superiority

He was willing to kill Angela when he was being arrested until coach showed up

Honestly, this 10 episode season should have been like what season 5B was for Breaking Bad (where they showed the downfall of Walter White).

This finale felt pretty easy to me. I know Dexter in its latter seasons wasn't written as well as 1-4, but it felt so telegraphed that Dexter would meet his downfall. All his talk of being a phoenix that rises from the ashes, it being a new day- could you make it any more obvious that Dexter wasn't going to make it out of this?

The thing is that had Dexter not killed Logan, he might've had a compelling argument. Sure, the cameras were off, but he could say he told Angela the location of where Kurt kept those bodies. That wouldn't get the heat off of Dexter, yeah, and we've seen his mounting desperation, but him killing Logan and then calling Harrison from Logan's phone were rookie mistakes. Mistakes that Dexter of the past wouldn't make, but again, I get how desperate Dexter was.

It is weird to revisit Batista in this last episode, have him say that he's on the way, and then not see him show up. Not just for the possibility of a reunion with Dexter, but to see what he could contribute. Hell, maybe he'd drag Masuka along with him.

At the end of the day, Harrison being the one to put down Dexter does feel poetic in a way. I just the buildup to this moment was better handled because, again, it all felt so telegraphed.
Poetic Justice.
My thought, too.

the first and second episodes.... now i can see its going to go straight to **** like seasons 6-8.... its really kind of dumb already.

harrison... im not sure how he went from runaway kid who should be all sorts of sketched out about his dad... is all of a sudden mr cool kid on the block like him and his dad just moved in... next he will beat up the school bully (kill him) ... a whole high school dramedy starring the american pie spinoffs.

deb is annoying as ****. and its only because they have her constantly ****ing yelling... we get it. calm the **** down or let harry come back lol hopefully she fades out and trinity replaces her for a bit.

my money is on the ending being dexter and harrison going back to miami. or maybe somewhere like LA. to set up any potential future seasons.
This version of Deb really represents the guilt Dexter felt for his role in his sisters death.

Maybe
Angela will let Dexter get away with it if he takes down Kurt. She might have some doubts about the system not working since Kurt was killing girls for years, but Dexter is "fixing" it.

But I guess it also depends on if they want to do another season. If this is the end, Dexter will probably get killed or end up in jail. If the show does get a second season, I can imagine it being about Dexter teaching Harrison the code while they're on the run.
NOPE!

I honestly think the opposite is more likely to happen, and can't see there being any happy ending for Dexter or Harrison.

There were a few really important moments shown in this episode.

In a scene that was hard to watch, Harrison saw Dexter's entire ritual. Rather than being a romanticized version of Dexter the vigilante that makes him look like a superhero, they really highlighted the disturbing reality of what Dexter does, and how much Dexter gets off on it all -- which was very deliberate. He doesn't do this only to "save lives" and to keep his urges at bay. He kills people because he loves to. Everything Dexter said to Kurt about why he kills women -- he loves the hunt, the rituals, the feeling of power and control he has over his victims -- can be applied to Dexter himself and his victims. Setting up the kill room, showing and telling his victims what they've done, killing them, chopping up the bodies, all of the blood -- Dexter loves it. They even made a point of drawing a parallel between Dexter and Trinity when Harrison was freaking out. The code is just a tool Harry gave Dexter to evade capture and prevent him from killing innocent people, although we know several innocent people have either died, been hurt, or gone down dark paths (Deb and Harrison) directly or indirectly because of Dexter.

Harrison may have some dark urges of his own, but they don't seem to come close to Dexter's yet. I think Dexter made a mistake in showing Harrison everything about what he really is, because he was convinced Harrison is just like him when he's clearly not.

Right now, Harrison seems to be on board with all of this, but I'm not sure that will be the case by the end of the finale. Dexter doesn't even know it yet, but the walls are closing in on him. The first rule of the code is "don't get caught". This gives Dexter an "excuse" to kill an innocent person in order to evade capture. Once Angela either confronts or arrests Dexter about all the BHB stuff, he's going to be faced with a choice. He may even need to kill a cop or Angela herself in order to keep his secrets or escape custody or even to protect Harrison from being linked to this. If Harrison realizes Angela or Audrey's lives are in danger, or that Audrey may become orphaned again, he might realize that Dexter IS a threat to innocent lives and that Dexter himself fits the code.

After all, the only reason Molly is dead is because she was suspicious of Kurt and on to him, which all started once Kurt's son went missing. Dexter killing Kurt's son and toying with Kurt is also what almost got Harrison killed, which Dexter admitted.

I think there's a very good chance that Harrison turns on Dexter and either aids in Dexter getting captured or wounds/kills Dexter himself. It seems like this season has put almost all of the necessary pieces in place for something like this to happen. This would break the cycle of death and misery in Dexter's life and the lives of everyone close to him. It's also the only way for Harrison to be able to live anything close to a "normal" life.

They didn't spend precious time showing Harrison getting a long range rifle and being an amazing shot for no reason. Kurt's dead, so who else would be a threat or who would be most likely to need to be shot while running away?

Think about when LaGuerta died. Deb was faced with the same choice and she wrongly chose to kill LaGuerta over Dexter. I don't see the show repeating the same thing again. Dexter can't run away from this one.

Obviously just theorizing but I wouldn't be surprised if something like this goes down. Any other "happy ending" of Dexter and Harrison on the run, or operating as a serial killer duo seems highly unlikely and wouldn't be the definitive ending the series needs.
As it turns out,Astute Observations.

I didn't like the ending. I hate endings like that. Liked the show though.

Personally, I like the idea of a small town police force exposing Dexter, after he operated with impunity while working at Miami
Metro Dade.
that might be considered a spoiler

I didn't like the ending. I hate endings like that. Liked the show though.
On the one hand, I hate fandoms that think as if they know the works better than the creators. On the other, I am downright tired of creators refusing to give into this boogeyman they call fan-service. Subversion is reading as contempt for your audience, when the reality is you’re delusional that your voice is the only valid one in the room.

this series and finale was for the most solid until that sudden turn in the jail cell and subsequent flooring it, warp speed, to ending. This is the redemption arc of the series as a whole, treat it as such and give us a super sized finale to let it breathe.

As it turns out,Astute Observations.

Yep. Even though I called it and things played out how I thought they would, I do agree that the execution of the concept was lacking. Seems like they would have benefitted from an extra episode or two. Harrison's flip flop happened a little too quickly and everything ended too abruptly.

I agree that Dex had to go. It is what he deserved. But I do think there could have been some kind of short epilogue scene showing Dexter being exposed all over the news, reaction shots of some old characters, or something that effect. Would have helped to wrap things up a little better.

Pretty good season overall, not the best but vastly superior to the last 3 seasons.
There were a few holes, but one of these that bothered me most is that Dexter lived there for years and during all that time there was an active serial killer in a small town without him noticing.
Hell, he was dating the sherriff and she had a whole board of missing girls, that should have been more than enough to pique Dexter's interest.
Sure, after years in the town he probably got complacent and rusty, but he would have been near the top of his game when he first arrived

Yep. Even though I called it and things played out how I thought they would, I do agree that the execution of the concept was lacking. Seems like they would have benefitted from an extra episode or two. Harrison's flip flop happened a little too quickly and everything ended too abruptly.

I agree that Dex had to go. It is what he deserved. But I do think there could have been some kind of short epilogue scene showing Dexter being exposed all over the news, reaction shots of some old characters, or something that effect. Would have helped to wrap things up a little better.
I would have been okay with what you suggest, that last little bit.

I think what bothers me the most is that they mixed up m99 for ketamine. I wouldn’t normally care for the error but they wrote it in such a way that it was a big part of how Angela figured out Dexter was the BHB.

I have 1 more episode left to watch. Wife and I probably will watch it tonight. I have enjoyed this a lot. I don't think it is Dexter seasons 1-4 good, but it is better than the latter seasons of the show. At least, pre-finale. We shall see how much I enjoy this finale. Cannot be worse than season 8's ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"