Dexter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if any of the law-enforcement characters will notice the partial similarities between the Jordan Chase "kill room" and the kill room they found Tony Tucci in during the first season.

I would guess not. When it comes to people finding out about Dex, the writing can be pretty dodgy.

I expect the series to end with Dex dying in a noble way (saving Harrison or Deb or someone he cares about and taking the season big bad out with him). Deb will find out in the process, cover up his crimes and Quinn will carry Harrison out of Dexter's death scene, essentially becoming the new Harry.

Quinn has been set up to follow in Harry's footsteps, IMO. There are so many thematical (and even physical) similiarites between the two. I foresee him becoming Harrison's mentor in the end.

that's an awesome way to go out

I would guess not. When it comes to people finding out about Dex, the writing can be pretty dodgy.

And the Miami police department as a whole doesn't exactly come across as geniuses on this show. When was the last time they were able to catch and prosecute a live murder suspect?

And the Miami police department as a whole doesn't exactly come across as geniuses on this show. When was the last time they were able to catch and prosecute a live murder suspect?

I think in the pilot, Dex mentions that in a voice over. Because the MPD's success rate with murders was so low, it was the perfect place for him to work, and gave him plenty of victims.

Still, it's almost become comical after all these years, the the Miami police on the show have never successfully arrested a live suspect in any of their major cases.

Then again, I come from Vancouver, where the police are about as fey and impotent as they come, even by Canadian standards.

To be fair, we probably only see a few of their cases.

Yeah, largely the ones Dexter is actively working against them on, no less.

Yep. It's hard to close a case when a guy on the inside is sabotaging it and planting/changing/destroying evidence.

I just caught up with Season five, I was kind of curious, how did people feel overall in terms of the season?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my opinion was it was my least favorite season so far. I still moderately enjoyed it, but it had serious problems.

I thought the beginning had promise, the middle was building towards something and I really liked the cat-and-mouse game Chase was playing with Dexter (and vice-versa), but in the finale everything just fell apart.

Talk about a weak-sauce finale. Even though Quinn's been after Dex for two seasons and suspects Dex killed the cop Liddy, he decides to suddenly let bygones be bygones because Dex "pulled a solid" for him (forget the fact Quinn was in trouble for a murder Dex committed in the first place). And then Deb once again stumbles upon Dex in the act, but decides to let a killer go free because she suddenly feels "sympathy." That's not the Deb I know and totally rang false for her character. And it was a total cop-out. The show chickened out, plain and simple.

And the whole take-down of Chase felt too rushed and unsatisfying. One minute he was a threat and the next he was already taken out. I thought he was cool and had serious potential, but the whole thing fell flat.

And then Lumen left. Yeah.

I hated the finale. :dry:

Very hard to live up to the previous seasons standards though.

The Trinity storyline was perfect IMO.

It was better than 3. It seems like everybody just wants to see what accomplished actor they can get to be the "Cool Badass Big Bad" every season, when that is not what this show is about at all. The whole point of the show is to show how Dexter deals with all of these external factors while trying to maintain his serial killing alter ego. The great things about seasons 3 and 5 are that they show us sides to Dexter we've never seen. In season 3 we get to see Dexter express mercy for somebody else when he kills the old file clerk on her death bed and don't even get me started on this past season. It had it's problems, mainly taking so long to establish Jordan Chase as a serious threat cuz let's face it, besides Trinity, Chase was astonishingly evil and complex. But the point was that we got to see Dexter FINALLY after all these attempts, connect with another human being and her subsequent rejection of him after all her problems had been resolved. I'm sorry but the scene where she killed the brittish guy and then Dexter and her slept together, I teared up like it was the end of Lost. Seriously, I felt such emotion for Dexter at the moment it was almost overwhelming

I really agree with both what Eklypze and JJJ had to say. On one hand, I did think the finale was far too quick, on the other, I did like what they did in terms of showing that Dexter could connect with another person.

In terms of Deb, I actually thought that fit perfectly with what they established with her character in the fifth season. Early in the 5th we see a Deb who isn't bothered with killing a very bad person, and it was being established with her researching the barrel girls that she was really starting to feel some sympathy for what happened to them, and in a way starting to support the vigilantes. Deb really had a nice arc this season, and though I was annoyed that we still didn't get to see Deb finally find out who Dex is, I thought it fit with what was being established in her character.

And with Quinn, I though it was fairly obvious he stopped going after Dex because he was in love with Debra. That's why he lawyered up right when things started to look dodgy. He made the choice to leave Dexter alone because he cared too much about Deb.

But I still think my biggest problem was, after having this nice arc with Lumen, the finale came way too quick, and it was way too easy for them to set things pretty much back to square one. After all that character development with Lumen, she just leaves. Part of me would have liked to see her stay, and keep exploring how their relationship would progress, or something.

Also, as much as I liked the character development in this season, part of me is wondering if Dexter is getting a little too tame. He's definitely changed a lot from season one Dexter, but I'm just wondering if he's starting to get too heroic. I don't have a problem with it now to be honest though, but it's something that I've been thinking about.

the main problem with this season is - we are exactly in the same place where we started off season 5. Only difference is the kids like Dexter now.

You may be at the same place, but Dexter most definitely isn't. Dexter is the main character, there is no way you can tell me that he is the same person at the end of this season as he is at the beginning. Like I've said there were problems with this season sure but the entire point is to convey how not only Dexter's actions or inactions effect everyone around him but the bigger point is how all the people around him effect him. This past season Dexter's very soul was touched by Lumen, regardless if she left and they didn't have a happy-ever-after, he felt a connection with her that he had never experienced before and probably never will again. I mean it was just a great thing to see her implicitly accept him for who he was, and a very bitter yet necessary thing to see her leave. Who cares though?? All the dominoes have been set up, now it's time for someone to knock that first one over and season 6 seems like it will be one hell of a ride

i enjoyed season 5 , but it was the weakest i think. it had a great build up going to the end, but that season finale was...meh

i enjoyed season 5 , but it was the weakest i think. it had a great build up going to the end, but that season finale was...meh

I would definitley have to say that season 3 was the weakest. It's finale was just as weak, but overall I thought the season was much less interesting then 5.

I'd rank season 3 above season 5. Bail Organa was more interesting than Lumen.

Overall:

season 1 > season 4 > season 2 > season 3 > season 5

I'd rank season 3 above season 5. Bail Organa was more interesting than Lumen.

Overall:

season 1 > season 4 > season 2 > season 3 > season 5

See, that's where I disagree. Miguel was never that interesting to me, because I knew it was going to end badly, and I knew once it went south, Miguel wasn't going to be a threat to Dexter. I never felt threatened by Miguel. Chase ended up feeling like a legitimate threat towards the end. In fact, so much so that I thought they kind of pulled a deus ex machina to get Dexter to end up getting him. I mean, we saw Dexter grab his knives, he just magically decided to slip one into his pocket as he crawled out of the car? Still, it wasn't all that out there.

Also, with Lumen, I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I didn't think it would necessarily end up bad like I knew it would with Miguel. I also thought Dexter's arc was more interesting this time around, as well as Deb's.

My favorite season are

so basically in order. 5 was the worst to me but still was damn good TV

Last edited:
I'd probably have to go 1, 4, 5, 2, 3. I really want to read the first two Dexter novels. I heard about the third though...and I'm a little skeptical. The whole evil god thing is just kinda weird. I like it when it's more grounded.

Best thing about Season Three was Dexter revealing to Miguel that not only did Dexter kill his own brother, but he also killed Miguel's. It was all very satisfying, but yeah, Miguel really didn't threaten Dexter directly, but his actions were extremely sloppy which could have lead back to not only Miguel but Dexter. At least, that's how I remember that season, haven't seen it since it aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"