Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because cats can't operate heavy machinery or make decisions that could harm others, so the argument goes.

That is a BS argument, I could make the same argument for booze yet that is legal. I would argue I would feel more comfortable with a guy being stoned and operating heavy machinery then a guy who is drunk.

To be fair, they did make booze illegal for years, and there are still various dubious laws restricting it.

To me, the bottom line is this: While both alcohol and marijuana are drugs that inebriate the user, we don't yet have a way to regulate or implement a road-side drug test for marijuana. At least not to my knowledge.
When you're pulled over and suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol, there is a quick roadside test officers can perform to determine if you're over the legal limit of alcohol in your system while driving a car.

But as of right now, how do we determine someone has had too much marijuana in their system to drive or operate dangerous equipment and is a danger to other people? What should that limit be, exactly, and how would it be enforced?

To me, we need to answer these questions and get our stuff together; have a plan and actually know what we're doing before we legalize any drug.

One option would be to declare it illegal to drive under the influence of any marijuana until road side tests could be developed, and a legal limit determined.

This would still allow for the legalization of home consumption and what not.

The downside is, government is slow to do most anything, especially make a change to something established. Plus, if the people like the idea for any amount is a DUI, then it would be doubly hard to change it from zero to something else.

The evils of Marijuana and Driving

[YT]q6Fcks7pla0[/YT]

One option would be to declare it illegal to drive under the influence of any marijuana until road side tests could be developed, and a legal limit determined.

This would still allow for the legalization of home consumption and what not

Yes, that would seem like a logical next step, but then again how would an officer truly know that a suspected motorist had any marijuana in his or her system without taking them to the station for blood work? It wouldn't be very practical to have to haul someone away to do a blood test everytime marijauna use while driving was suspected. Our legal systems and processes are already being taxed enough; it would just cause more issues. After all, one of the crowning reasons for legalizing marijauna and dismantling the war on drugs seems to be to unburden our prisons and the legal mumbo jumbo we pour way too much money into.

A road-side test is still needed before marijauna can be legalized.
(As far as I know, at this point in time)

Last edited:
The DOJ turned on the lobbyists! CUT TO BLACK & WHITE!! :wow:

This is HUGE news. I'm glad to be hearing it.

That is a BS argument, I could make the same argument for booze yet that is legal. I would argue I would feel more comfortable with a guy being stoned and operating heavy machinery then a guy who is drunk.

Ditto!

What a bunch of BS

this really bugged me

Local law enforcement agencies rely heavily on the drug war for funding. Police departments are often able to keep a large portion of the assets they seize during drug raids, even if charges are never brought. And federal grants for drug war operations make up a sizable portion of local law enforcement funding.
That is the wrong reason for wanting to go after drugs. Maybe with Amrijuana being legal, they could go after real crime for a change

beyond that

The letter warns that marijuana can cause suicidal thoughts, impairs driving and is a "gateway drug."
Oh yes, marijuana will make you go CrAzy!!!!!!!! I think they been watching to many of those propaganda movies from the 30s

[YT]yV-u7QFVmIw[/YT]

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how this works as far as work goes in the legal states already? Are you still drug tested for marijuana?

Well whats the point of making it legal?

Because when you live in a country that preaches freedoms and liberties, give the people the freedom to make the choice for themselves when something isn't harmless

To also undercut all the growers and dealers (especially the cartels and drug lords) and collect that tax revenue.

Ok, but most people don't smoke because it's harmful it's because we want t keep our jobs.

Ok, but most people don't smoke because it's harmful it's because we want t keep our jobs.

Well some employers won't care and others will.

I think they allowed employers the option to fire to avoid messy lawsuits and to avoid a backlash from employers who don't want a stoned workforce.

I'm hoping most employers adopt a ”don't ask, don't tell” policy until cannabis becomes less stigmatized.

Well some employers won't care and others will.

I think they allowed employers the option to fire to avoid messy lawsuits and to avoid a backlash from employers who don't want a stoned workforce.

I'm hoping most employers adopt a ”don't ask, don't tell” policy until cannabis becomes less stigmatized.

so, hope they figure out how to distinguish whether you are high or not when an incident occurs. I work with heavy machinery and if an accident occurs we are drug tested. I would hope that we could do whatever we want in our private time and as long as we don't show up to work blazed, be excused for whatever happens at work, or not have it blamed on marijuana. Similar to alcohol where you don't drink 12 hours before coming to work.

:woot:

Does anyone have the sneaking suspicion that if cannabis is legalized we'll experience a new surge of philosophical insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"