Discussion: Media, The Press, Journalism, Cable News, Media Bias, and Other Media Issues

Fox News is the worst thing to happen to American politics certainly in my lifetime.

Hopefully things will change now, and make that station less of a constant source of misinformation and right-wing extremism.

Fox News is the worst thing to happen to American politics certainly in my lifetime.

Hopefully things will change now, and make that station less of a constant source of misinformation and right-wing extremism.

It won't. Fox News makes way too much money to change it's message. It's like what Les Moonves said about Trump. "It May Not Be Good for America, but It's Damn Good for CBS". That's even more true for Fox News.

Last edited:
Stewart on Colbert now talking about Ailes.

Fox News is a reaction to the decades of liberalized media beit movies, tv, and news. That's why their audience is huge...it captured an untapped demo. Now I'm not a fan of misinformation but there is bias in many outlets so this isn't new. Fox is just a lot bigger so it gets the most attention.

I think campaign finance is the worst thing to happen to American politics. It's pretty much only rich people can run for office if they don't have companies or existing political framework behind them. I don't have the same shot as Chelsea Clinton if we both ran for Congress. That is what is wrong.

Fox News is a reaction to the decades of liberalized media beit movies, tv, and news. That's why their audience is huge...it captured an untapped demo. Now I'm not a fan of misinformation but there is bias in many outlets so this isn't new. Fox is just a lot bigger so it gets the most attention.

I think campaign finance is the worst thing to happen to American politics. It's pretty much only rich people can run for office if they don't have companies or existing political framework behind them. I don't have the same shot as Chelsea Clinton if we both ran for Congress. That is what is wrong.

If the American media is so liberal, where is the Noam Chomsky news hour on CNN?

This idea of the liberal media just seems like a huge myth to me, the major media companies are not going to report on stories that hurt the interests of their parent companies. Frankly too many conservatives use the liberal media myth to avoid personal responsibility, look at what Rumsfeld tried to do with Iraq war, saying the war was going fine and that the media wasn't painting a rosey enough picture.

Fox News is easily the worse outfit in the ceasepool of America's vapid news industry. Makes me glad I live in Canada which has superior news outfits like the CBC.

Anyway I doubt the two major parties have any interest in letting poor people run for office and brining things back on topic, I doubt anyone at Fox News wants that either.

Edit: though to me fair, I think the introduction of CNN was what started the decline of the US news industry into a the sensational 24/7 infotainment industry we see now, Fox just came along and nade it worse. Bews was better when the US had real hard hitting journalists working for one of the 3 major networks.

Last edited:
With Fox News comically biased reporting and incredible ratings, I'd say the playing field is about even. Not to mention radio, which is overwhelmingly conservative.

You can't just post some random website with no context and win an argument. I can find a ton of articles that make the opposite argument, I won't bother posting them because I doubt you will be convinced by them. You avoided my main points, for example if the media is liberal, why isn't Noam Chomsky on CNN all the time?

Also why do conservatives like Don Rumsfeld use the liberal media theory to avoid personal responsibility for their actions?

Last edited:
Did you read it........

I read the article and how is it unbiased? One of the sources for the article is a book called " Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind", how is that unbiased?

It seems like many conservatives who talk about liberal media bias want the media to be a mouth piece for the GOP like Fox News, they don't want an unbiased media. Some people will think the media is liberal

Also care to read and refute these articles:

http://www.salon.com/2015/11/02/the...eason_why_theres_no_liberal_media_conspiracy/

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/4/23/1204303/-How-to-Debunk-the-Liberal-Media-Myth

http://www.globalresearch.ca/how-the-republicans-are-reviving-the-liberal-media-myth/5486407

What makes your article better then any article I can find saying the opposite?

Also are finally going to answer my questions from previous posts or just ignore them again?

The liberal media is best theory and at worst a fiction, its not a fact and the fact that powerful Republicans use it as a "Get of Jail Card" means its a dangerous theory that demands powerful Republicans abdicate their personal responsibility for their actions.

Last edited:
This idea of the liberal media just seems like a huge myth to me

Yeah because the liberal media is always and I mean ALWAYS honest!

:whatever:

Yeah because the liberal media is always and I mean ALWAYS honest!

:whatever:

I reject the idea that there is a liberal media, it seems like something made up by Republicans to avoid personal responsibility for their actions. I bet the GOP base will complain about the liberal media if CNN doesn't run stories about how the Earth is 6000 years old.

The big companies that run the media outlets will often put their companies objectives over anything else, I don't see how that is liberal.

Conservatives try to state that the "liberal media" exists, like its a fact and I am challenging that.

Last edited:
So why is Bill O'Reilly talking about how the slaves who built the White House were well fed?

I reject the idea that there is a liberal media, it seems like something made up by Republicans to avoid personal responsibility for their actions. I bet the GOP base will complain about the liberal media if CNN doesn't run stories about how the Earth is 6000 years old.

The big companies that run the media outlets will often put their companies objectives over anything else, I don't see how that is liberal.

Conservatives try to state that the "liberal media" exists, like its a fact and I am challenging that.

MSNBC I would argue is extremely liberal leaning....if you are going to say that Fox is conservative leaning, you cannot leave out MSNBC going to opposite direction.

In March, a Pew Research Center study -- yes, Pew -- found that 85 percent of MSNBC's programming is dedicated to "opinion," versus 15 percent that is dedicated to "news." Fox News dedicated just 55 percent of its programming to "opinion" and 45 percent to "news." (CNN dedicates 46 percent to "opinion" and 54 percent to "news.") During the 2012 election, the ratio of unfavorable to favorable treatment in stories on Barack Obama and Mitt Romney on MSNBC “was roughly 23-to-1; the negative-to-positive ratio on Fox News was 8-to-1.”

Mind you this is a couple of years old, but both FNC and MSNBC have only double downed on their programming.

Last edited:
The media is liberal, but then there's Fox News, which is so successful and so ridiculously reactionary that it cancels out.

So why is Bill O'Reilly talking about how the slaves who built the White House were well fed?

Because he is an idiot, that has just....juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust enough knowledge to make him extremely dangerous....but he is still an idiot.

BUT, he writes damn enjoyable books...:csad:

He doesn't even write the books though, right? Aren't they all ghostwritten with another author?

Last edited by a moderator:
oooops sorry, hit the wrong button.

They are actually written with a plethora of other historians and experts in the specific areas he is writing about....

MSNBC I would argue is extremely liberal leaning....if you are going to say that Fox is conservative leaning, you cannot leave out MSNBC going to opposite direction.

Mind you this is a couple of years old, but both FNC and MSNBC have only double downed on their programming.
MSNBC has liberal voices, but they have gone out of their way as of late to purposely appear more conservative.

:dry:

Romney-Obama-Newsweek-covers.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

2261961-485806_10150759759677673_122021577672_11214436_1440374472_n.jpg

MediaBias.jpg

MmmHmm...

Wow... Just wow... Yeah, the guy that killed an unarmed 16 year old is a maligned hero.

MSNBC has liberal voices, but they have gone out of their way as of late to purposely appear more conservative.

:dry:

Weeeeellllll, I don't know about that....at least not in the convention coverage I have watched....maybe in some other areas.

I purposefully watched both Fox News coverage of the RNC/and the first night of the DNC and MSNBC's coverage of the RNC/and the first night of the DNC to compare the two....

FNC's coverage as far as the nightly discussion of the evenings happenings....had 2 former Clinton and Carter Democratic campaign pollsters and 1 Republican campaign pollster....MSNBC had a total of 7 democrats and 1 Republican in their round table discussion group. It was very enlightening...lol FNC, kept to that same 2 to 1 ratio, and MSNBC had the same people....for the DNC coverage, I have not been able to watch every DNC after party, like I did for the RNC. But there was a huge difference...

Romney-Obama-Newsweek-covers.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

2261961-485806_10150759759677673_122021577672_11214436_1440374472_n.jpg

MediaBias.jpg

MmmHmm...

The media isn't liberal its corporatist. The media outlet reflects the views of the owner. If the owner is a democratic donor, it will be left leaning. If the owner is a Republican donor, it will be right leaning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"