Discussion: Racism - Part 4

Even if people film these racist tirades, what are they going to do with the footage? Post them on YouTube? If they are Asian in the first place and post it up on their channel, you can bet that it will be full of racist trolls who will add more racist comments to the poster. They'll agree with the racist person being filmed in the video.

And Trump of course is encouraging this further with his "Chinese virus" tweets. He wants people to start using that terminology, and then he will try to say that their use of it is nothing to do with him.

Even if people film these racist tirades, what are they going to do with the footage? Post them on YouTube? If they are Asian in the first place and post it up on their channel, you can bet that it will be full of racist trolls who will add more racist comments to the poster. They'll agree with the racist person being filmed in the video.

Not sure what point your making. Racist trolls aren't going anywhere but that doesn't mean such attacks shouldn't be documented. Hopefully the footage led to the arrest of the idiot who was beating on a stranger for no reason in that particular case.

I’ve read two instances on social media yesterday. Both in NY. The sad part are the replies to their stories. Sprinkled among the emphatic ones are the vile stuff like “well you brought the virus so stop complaining”. This is really bringing out the best and in this case, the worst in people.

Reports are also that there's been a rise in gun purchases by Asians due to all this.

Reporting facts as a journalist is SUPPOSED to be a different job than an federal elected public official.

Saying "Well... This stuff would happen anyway cuz da newz" is a pretty piss poor standard to judge our public officials by.

Here is a thought... Maybe elected leaders shouldn't be aiding and abetting the spread of fear during a social fabric rending emergency situation? We are getting enough of it as it is being spread by an incompetent POTUS who is trying to get his hands around a situation he was obviously neither prepared for or took with the normal commiserate serious actions until... This afternoon really.

I highly doubt 9 year school children are influenced by either politicians or the news. Their parents and other kids more likely. Racist bullying from children is nothing new either unfortunately. Cenk can blame right wing politicians but it's see through.

The media has been using the terms "Chinese Coronavirus" and "Wuhan virus" for some time, the President uses the same or similar terms and it becomes an issue for the same media to attack him on. The cries of racism are again, see through. It wasn't an issue two months ago, but now it is.

And I'm betting that all those journalists and news agencies stopped using the terms Wuhan and Chinese virus and changed to the terms used now because of the concerns raised about racist violence.

Of course the news media was actually doing their jobs and were on top of this story unlike the person in charge that kept calling it a hoax.

But keep on holding water for this obvious incompetence on display, made oh so much worse by that thick glazing of provincial, know nothing racism.

Just like the initial response (Which actually WASN'T a complete lockdown of transportation from either China as a whole or even just Wuhan...) was just a sop to the racist base so to is trying to cement this in public mind as some kind of intentional foreign threat by doubling down on its origin in China. It is unnecessary and will only help to add to social stress which is what an intelligent person would know is as important as any concrete actions to slow a disease's spread.

People can make all the coy bull**** rationales they want to justify this but it is just part and parcel of the GOP, the reactionary Right and Trumpistas all being cool beans with obvious racist demagoguery for no other reason that makes sense, is practical or is of any good to anyone.

Calling it "Chinese" ain't gonna help us find a solution any faster and will contribute to a dangerous atmosphere for Asian Americans.

Los Trumpistas?

Los Trumpistas — the Story INSTITUTE

Maybe the media stopped using references to China once GOP politicians began using the term "Wuhan Virus", because if a Republican says it then the phrase must be steeped in racism. You're giving the media (CNN muchand other left wing sources in particular) too much credit here.

The hills some will, it now seems, literally die on.

Well if it gets worse out there I know where I can get my hands on a bag of those dangerous Skittles. You know... Should violence break out I need a most imposing weapon.

Its amazing how talkative you are right now, but every time I have asked you to prove your claim that I tried to smear Botham Jean as a drug user when in reality I said the exact opposite (which I posted proof of), all of a sudden you clam up.

Now you're bringing up Skittles again, even though I've dismantled your false narrative of that case several times now. Notice how every time that comes up, you have to ignore the actual events of that night and instead focus on the behavior of Zimmerman in the years after? Because you don't care about facts, you don't care about the truth, you are stuck with the narrative you were spoon-fed from the left leaning media outlets you are giving a pass now. Talking about dying on a hill...

Though im not gonna lie I did laugh first time I heard it, its seems pretty messed up people are floating the term Kungflu

Los Trumpistas?

Los Trumpistas — the Story INSTITUTE

Maybe the media stopped using references to China once GOP politicians began using the term "Wuhan Virus", because if a Republican says it then the phrase must be steeped in racism. You're giving the media (CNN muchand other left wing sources in particular) too much credit here.

I'm not defending the MSM on this one. The Chinese Virus name designates far too large an area to be useful and Wuhan Virus is more in keeping with region based naming conventions like West Nile and Ebola.

But when Republican politicians, the vast majority of which support white supremacy and xenophobia, start using a term it definitely has more sinister implications. Trump in particular has a history of targeting ethnic groups in order to sure up support among his garbage base. It's obvious to anyone not in the Trump cult that is is yet another example of him signalling to the worst Americans.

Lets get one thing straight, how the media calls it or how they report about it...is their thing, they have to deal with it on their own.

But Government officials or the president calling it "chinese coronavirus" is ****ing **** and who excuses it is **** too.
There is no excuse for them to help spread racism.
This virus has an official name and its not "chinese coronavirus"...that is a racism and helps only spreading xenophobia.

The Government activly putting blame on china and chinese is far worse than the idiots of the media clickbaiting or so.

Do these morons even realize that by attacking Asians (who they wrongly believe are responsible for the virus and are infected), they are getting close to them and will therefore most likely get infected as well if that person is in fact infected? If you wanna be a POS and be racist then just stay the eff away!

Do these morons even realize that by attacking Asians (who they wrongly believe are responsible for the virus and are infected), they are getting close to them and will therefore most likely get infected as well if that person is in fact infected? If you wanna be a POS and be racist then just stay the eff away!

Wouldn't it be nice if these racist attackers were struck down with Corona virus immediately during the attack and their lungs began burning! Of course, that would probably make them feel their attack was justified because they did end up getting infected.

"Yeah but... Is it lying to say it's from China? Why do we got to be politically correct now?"

Because adding tensions, WITH THE LITERAL INTENT JUST TO PISS PEOPLE OFF AND POSSIBLY GET CITIZENS OF YOUR NATION KILLED DOESN'T ADD AN IOTA OF HELP TO THE ISSUES WE ARE FACING.

If one actually gives a **** about civil society, order, the rule of law or, I don't know, actually have compassion for other human beings even if they don't look or act exactly like you... One would realize this.

But the casual ability to dehumanize others has been on display among certain members of our populace for a very long time.

Exactly. Everyone and their dog already knows that it undisputedly came from China so there’s really nothing else to gain from calling it the “China Virus” besides inciting hatred for the Asians.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"