Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres no longer a stigma to tv. And for many actors its actually a step up - in pay and prestige. Especially cable tv. Its all interchangeable now.

It certainly was for Charlie Sheen. I think he's made more money off of Two and a Half Men then he ever could've made from a film career making movies at $20 million a pop. He was making about $2 million per episode on 24 episode seasons. That's $48 million a year, far more money at a faster clip than he could've ever earned in a movie career.

Even his successor, Ashton Kutcher, is making $800,000 per episode. So he'll be pulling down $19.2 million a year from that show. That's not bad at all.

Hell the entire cast of Friends make more with their syndication pay than their film roles.

my question to you though.. is that.. Luke Cage can't support his own comic... and I really have doubts on him selling a film. How do you think he can carry a show?

I mean.. the whole "protect my neighborhood home" angle is cliche and been done to death, and Luke's never really had a good set of villains..

In fact the only great story imo from him was with Purple Man

Being able to support your own comic doesn't mean that you can't support a movie. After all, Blade has never been a successful solo comic series, and yet his movies did over $100 million. For much of his history Iron Man has only been able to sustain one comic title with poor sales, and yet he's Marvel's biggest seller, and his movies have done far better than Superman Returns, which features a character who for years starred in FOUR separate solo titles. Point is, comic sales don't always translate to film sales. Not only is the audience different, but the comic audience is so abysmally small that you can't use that as a measure of what would or wouldn't be popular to the general audience.

Hell the entire cast of Friends make more with their syndication pay than their film roles.

Yep. Two and a Half Men's going to be in syndication forever, so Sheen will never have to worry about running out of money for hookers or cocaine.

Being able to support your own comic doesn't mean that you can't support a movie. After all, Blade has never been a successful solo comic series, and yet his movies did over $100 million. For much of his history Iron Man has only been able to sustain one comic title with poor sales, and yet he's Marvel's biggest seller, and his movies have done far better than Superman Returns, which features a character who for years starred in FOUR separate solo titles. Point is, comic sales don't always translate to film sales. Not only is the audience different, but the comic audience is so abysmally small that you can't use that as a measure of what would or wouldn't be popular to the general audience.

blade also had alot changed upon him... and superman returns was faulty by doing nothing original... which sadly may also be the caused of the new films demise

It certainly was for Charlie Sheen. I think he's made more money off of Two and a Half Men then he ever could've made from a film career making movies at $20 million a pop. He was making about $2 million per episode on 24 episode seasons. That's $48 million a year, far more money at a faster clip than he could've ever earned in a movie career.

Even his successor, Ashton Kutcher, is making $800,000 per episode. So he'll be pulling down $19.2 million a year from that show. That's not bad at all.

you typically make more money on TV. that and if you get syndicated.. you're basically rich for life.

I have a friend who was only in 2 or 3 episodes as an extra in Veronica Mars and randomly gets a check for about $45 whenever his episodes air... can you imagine what the main cast gets in residuals?

The whole Iron Man concept appeals to the modern working man and woman. It's what every 20 or 30-something would dream of in terms of success, power, fame, sex appeal. If there ever were a real superhero in real life, Tony Stark's whole lifestyle would definitely be the most appealing. He gets to drive fast cars, travel to exotic locations, bed beautiful women, play with fancy gadgets, be financially successful. That's even the sort of thing women tend to want.

Is there really any other superhero whose lifestyle others would really want in real life?

- Spider-Man: often branded a villain, usually down on his luck and filled with angst and other burdens.
- Hulk: lots of anger issues, on the run, often difficulty controlling transformations, often branded a monster.
- Superman: feels isolated as an alien, can't be honest about who he really is, must always control his strength
- Batman: deep psychological issues, also can't be open about himself
- Captain America: a man out of time, burdened with obligation and duty

The list goes on.

People are already aspiring to be like Tony Stark most of the time anyway, whether they've even heard of him or not. And that's the kind of successful alpha male that women seem to like. So it's easy to see why the whole concept is so appealing, especially when you add the RDJ factor who embodies all of that.

Plenty of quality actors and actresses are bouncing around on television. In addition, character actors are recognizing the benefits of participating in quality TV series. A series provides the opportunity for an actor to really dig into a character's psyche and for audiences to build a much more intimate bond to characters than they could with a film character.

So, I disagree, this project doesn't NEED a big name to sell it. Plenty of talent in TV land to make a well written and directed project a success.

That being said . . . What about a Marvel Comics Presents . . . series? Each season could introduce a different solo heroes and tell their origins in unique and creative ways.

The great thing about Marvel Comics is that there are a plethora of characters that represent different genres even outside of superheroes. I think that's where a lot of films can get derailed.

For example, Ghost Rider is considered a superhero BUT he works far better as an antihero and should have been featured in a film that plays up the horror and supernatural aspects of his story. They should have made him a genuinely scary character and not a champion for justice.

Black Widow worked well in the Avengers, but a solo project would be better served to feature her in a Bondesque espionage thriller with a story that plays up of her dark past and her innate ruthlessness as a character.

Iron Fist would be best featured in a Kung Fu style homage that is heavily influenced by eastern filmmaking for his origin. Cage maybe a Tarantino style tribute to blaxploitaton.

The point is there is a lot of creative freedom in a series that could feature season long origin stories for a range of characters in addition to being a launching point for potential spinoffs.

Anyway, just a thought.

I like the idea and had a similar thought. However, I am not sure it will work in practice, I mean it could but Marvel would have to be committed to the idea. I believe Heroes was supposed to take a similar approach, focusing on a new set of heroes each season but when the cast became popular they were unable to switch gears.

I think I would still like them to take a slightly different approach where they would almost meander from one set of characters to another where the plotlines intersect at different point. Think soap opera style storytelling on a grander scale.

I'm guessing Luke Cage will turn up if it's like a New Avengers type thing.

The whole Iron Man concept appeals to the modern working man and woman. It's what every 20 or 30-something would dream of in terms of success, power, fame, sex appeal. If there ever were a real superhero in real life, Tony Stark's whole lifestyle would definitely be the most appealing. He gets to drive fast cars, travel to exotic locations, bed beautiful women, play with fancy gadgets, be financially successful. That's even the sort of thing women tend to want.

Is there really any other superhero whose lifestyle others would really want in real life?

- Spider-Man: often branded a villain, usually down on his luck and filled with angst and other burdens.
- Hulk: lots of anger issues, on the run, often difficulty controlling transformations, often branded a monster.
- Superman: feels isolated as an alien, can't be honest about who he really is, must always control his strength

The list goes on.

People are already aspiring to be like Tony Stark most of the time anyway, whether they've even heard of him or not. And that's the kind of successful alpha male that women seem to like. So it's easy to see why the whole concept is so appealing, especially when you add the RDJ factor who embodies all of that.

heh :woot:

screw-it-iron-man.jpg

Last edited:
If Joss creates a S.H.I.E.L.D. series,I hope he incorporates some political & social storylines.I wouldn't mine having a 'occupy wallstreet' episode where he uses the hippie 'Thor' as a villain :woot:

The list goes on.

Don't know - comic geeks tends to despise Tony Stark, which translate to a middling comic sales. They seem to resent Stark's obvious arrogant, can do it alone attitude. In the mean time Dr Doom is almost a mirror to Iron Man's accomplishment spiced up with evil deeds here and there (he's after all is created to be a villainous character), and Victor von Doom often got more respect than Tony Stark. Strange comic geeks. Got to be the mustache factor. Or comic geeks are really technophobes.

Theres no longer a stigma to tv. And for many actors its actually a step up - in pay and prestige. Especially cable tv. Its all interchangeable now.

Hmmmm... there's still a disparity, maybe not so much from indie films to cable tv, but definitely people who have been in blockbusters when/if they come to network TV they get immense contracts, first billing, ridiculous things like million-dollar-per-episode paychecks. It's not all interchangeable, it's just that TV has come to the point where it can go out of its way and make it worth the while for movie actors. You may also that many times it's African American or female actors who don't have many parts available to them in Hollywood anyway.

In this case, while Whedon and co are going to have the movie characters cameo, I don't think you'll see a lot of them. They're going to be new contracts and the show is going to have a TV budget, not a movie one. We might see them once a year or something, or repeatedly in quick bursts that were shot all in the same day, not sure.

Don't know - comic geeks tends to despise Tony Stark, which translate to a middling comic sales. They seem to resent Stark's obvious arrogant, can do it alone attitude. In the mean time Dr Doom is almost a mirror to Iron Man's accomplishment spiced up with evil deeds here and there (he's after all is created to be a villainous character), and Victor von Doom often got more respect than Tony Stark. Strange comic geeks. Got to be the mustache factor. Or comic geeks are really technophobes.

I'm not talking about comic geeks. I'm talking about your everyday working modern man and woman, to whom the Iron Man movie and concept appeals greatly, because that is already the kind of lifestyle to which they aspire. What are most working professionals working towards? Sure, some might be more altruistic and working for a greater good, but most just want lots of money, fast cars, hot women (or men if they're women), sex, drink, fancy gadgets, lots of fun etc. Now which superhero does that sound like?

The whole Iron Man concept hasn't just appealed to comic geeks, who only represent a small part of the audience. Why Iron Man has been so popular is because he transcends beyond just comic geekdom and into genuine coolness.

I'm not talking about comic geeks. I'm talking about your everyday working modern man and woman, to whom the Iron Man movie and concept appeals greatly, because that is already the kind of lifestyle to which they aspire. What are most working professionals working towards? Sure, some might be more altruistic and working for a greater good, but most just want lots of money, fast cars, hot women (or men if they're women), sex, drink, fancy gadgets, lots of fun etc. Now which superhero does that sound like?

The whole Iron Man concept hasn't just appealed to comic geeks, who only represent a small part of the audience. Why Iron Man has been so popular is because he transcends beyond just comic geekdom and into genuine coolness.

I understand that from the start. There's a great divide between comic geeks who are actually more conservative on the idealized heroes they seek and moviegoers/mainstream populations who are more willing to see a more realistic hero with realistic aspirations.

Although I happen to think the more Tony is into his Pepper relationship in further MCU movies, the less playboy-ish he will become. It's kind of goes along with the aging Robert Downey, aging Tony Stark thing - he's not the same desirable stud he was once before.

T"Challa;24039719 said:
Yeah, this has Heroes for Hire written all over it..ah well, sign up Scott Adkins and Michael Jai White and lets get this thing going.

michael jai white wouldn't be a bad choice as an action guy if you couldn't get Snipes. just don't expect stand out acting as you will stand out fighting choregraphy with white.

Has anyone considered "Damage Control" as a basis for the series?

I feel this show will focus on "expendable" marvel characters. They're not going to risk introducing a hero with potential film presence in the first season, when the show could easily be canceled. This show is risky because 1) it's cannon, 2) it's a form of media that's risky in itself (shows get canned all the time)

for instance.. if this show is heroes for hire.. with danny and cage, and the show flops. That will probably ruin for a good while, they're appearance on film.

this is why i suggest making the show about civilians. They can show up still in films if the show's canceled because people wont have invested as much in them, and they'd be just supporting characters on film (like darcy), say we had a show about her first before Thor, would we have needed the show to explain us her part? no.

Damage control is a possibility. though, the problem is that team really has no potential for "known character" tie-ins imo... where as people like Ben Urich, Jessica Jones, and J Jonah Jameson, etc.. do (daredevil, cage, spidey)

And that is why I think SHIELD is the best option, as you get heroics *and* avoid needing to use specific characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"