Doctor Strange News & Speculation thread - Part 4

Anybody watch SHIELD and see the Portal Aida created??

Her hand movements seemed familiar, and the VFX on it looked very reminiscent of Dr Strange... plus the dimension that Coulson was getting sucked in to looked very similar to the shattered glass effects in Strange.

The connections were fun, even if they'll never be acknowledged in the movies.

Her hand movements seemed familiar, and the VFX on it looked very reminiscent of Dr Strange... plus the dimension that Coulson was getting sucked in to looked very similar to the shattered glass effects in Strange.

Yeah, that was cool. The portal itself had the same sparky look as those in DS, and the geometric pattern she used to stiched together was like a slower way of DS spell casting.

Unfortunately didn't get a chance to see this a second time in theaters with so many other good movies coming out recently. Between Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, Rogue One soon too.

Any idea when we're getting a blu-ray release? I'm guessing April sometime

DS gets quite a few Critics' Choice nominations:

BEST ACTION MOVIE

Captain America: Civil War

Deadpool

Doctor Strange

Hacksaw Ridge

Jason Bourne

BEST ACTOR IN AN ACTION MOVIE

Benedict Cumberbatch – Doctor Strange

Matt Damon – Jason Bourne

Chris Evans – Captain America: Civil War

Andrew Garfield – Hacksaw Ridge

Ryan Reynolds – Deadpool

BEST ACTRESS IN AN ACTION MOVIE

Gal Gadot – Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Scarlett Johansson – Captain America: Civil War

Margot Robbie – Suicide Squad

Tilda Swinton – Doctor Strange

BEST SCI-FI/HORROR MOVIE

10 Cloverfield Lane

Arrival

Doctor Strange

Don’t Breathe

Star Trek Beyond

The Witch

http://www.criticschoice.com/critics-choice-awards/

It gets noms for Visual Effects and Hair and Make-up too.

Tilda Swinton at least should get that win.

Yeah. I noticed that or Wanda....or Dumbledore in OotP....

I mean a sorcerer HAS to do SOMETHING with their hands or the magic won't work.....

Yeah. I noticed that or Wanda....or Dumbledore in OotP....

I mean a sorcerer HAS to do SOMETHING with their hands or the magic won't work.....
hehe Vegas magic shows would be VERY boring too lol

According to Best Buy, Doctor Strange has now nabbed an official Blu-Ray release date in the US. Mister Doctor hits stores on February 28, 2017.

The regular Blu-Ray steelbook will cost $29.99, while the 3D version will cost $34.99.

steelbook-doctorstrange-222734.jpg

Check the site, THAT particular version isn't there anymore.
I'm only seeing the bluray/dvd/digital/3D version now
even the date they gave is off the Best buy site

As an Asian American, I wasn't upset that the Ancient One was whitewashed. Having researched the character online when Swinton was cast, it's a bit of a racist stereotype in the comics.

As an Asian American, I wasn't upset that the Ancient One was whitewashed. Having researched the character online when Swinton was cast, it's a bit of a racist stereotype in the comics.

TAO and the Mandarin were unfortunate racist caricatures from an era when such things were acceptable in American society. Although I would have prefered to see an Asian woman cast in a more modernized take on the role, I can understand why Marvel preferred to avoid that potential minefield altogether.

The expansion and upgrading of Wong's role compensated for TAO's race change, IMO. As a longtime fan of Doctor Strange, I have been disappointed that Wong was relegated to the demeaning role of manservant even when opportunities to evolve him presented themselves. The film redressed that wrong quite brilliantly. I look forward to seeing Wong develop even further as a sorcerer and a person in future installments.

TAO and the Mandarin were unfortunate racist caricatures from an era when such things were acceptable in American society. Although I would have prefered to see an Asian woman cast in a more modernized take on the role, I can understand why Marvel preferred to avoid that potential minefield altogether.
I really wanted James Hong for the role, and I think he could have done it without resorting to cliché.

However, I think I would have been more upset with the [BLACKOUT]dark dimension/longevity[/BLACKOUT] aspect in that case; since it was clearly a different take on the character, I just enjoyed the storyline as-is.

To me, the more important Asian character has always been Wong. True, TAO is pivotal, and powerful, but it is Wong who has been at Strange's side for 50 plus years. I was very happy to see him made independent and unique. In the comic, a few writers have tried to get away from the stereotype, but then you get a writer not interested in evolving the character who puts him back in the kitchen.
In the comic, now, even with all its warts, they are expanding Wong's role as partner in protecting Earth, not just being a servant. He protects the person who protects the world. No matter how powerful you are, it is always important to have someone have your back. I am looking forward to seeing how their relationship evolves in the movies.

According to Best Buy, Doctor Strange has now nabbed an official Blu-Ray release date in the US. Mister Doctor hits stores on February 28, 2017.

The regular Blu-Ray steelbook will cost $29.99, while the 3D version will cost $34.99.

steelbook-doctorstrange-222734.jpg

Makes sense that this is coming out in February. Like Doctor Strange Thor :The Dark World was released in November and then came out in February.

Honestly, I get the impression that even after the end of the movie, Wong is *not* Strange's subordinate. Strange is dangerously talented and clever, but he's still inexperienced. Strange is now a full, accepted sorcerer in the Order of Kamar-Taj or whatever we care to call it, and the guardian of the New York Sanctum. He's *not* the Sorcerer Supreme, replacement for the Ancient One. He's at best a peer of Wong, who is also a sanctum guardian.

I really like how they didn't end the movie with Strange becoming the Sorcerer Supreme.

Him becoming Supreme could be a natural plot point with the direction the sequel looks to be taking with Mordo.

Just got nominated for best Visual Effects at the Oscars

How come no-one within the MCU thinks to give Stephen Strange a different superhero name like Tony Stark has Iron Man, or Steve Rogers has Captain America, or Bruce Banner has the Hulk?

They just still call him Dr Strange. Doesn't he want a superhero name? Imagine if Bruce Banner just had to go round being called Dr Banner as his superhero name. Does Strange feel he is missing one, or is he content to just be called Dr Strange, which he already was as a neurosurgeon?

Probably because he's not a public figure. The only people who know of him, for all intents and purposes, are other wizards, who don't care about giving fancy superhero names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"