Dr. Lecter Invites you to Dinner. The ''Hannibal'' Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there no complete version of episode 4 anywhere??!!

You can buy it on Amazon or iTunes for $2. That's what I did.

At first I was happy that NBC took a risk on this show, and it's cool to see something like this on primetime network television, but now I'm starting to get pissed.

The commercials are my biggest issue and are beyond annoying when watching a show like this. It's almost like the commercials prevent the plot from advancing sometimes. They cut to commercial at every big moment, and then before you know it, the show's over and we've got another week to wait. This type of show would have EXCELLED on HBO. It would have been HBO's answer to Dexter, but with better writing, acting, and a more iconic story. It would almost certainly have been picked up for its second season by now (HBO is smart about that), and there would be an extra 10-15 mins of actual footage per episode. Imagine watching the story of Hannibal (Red Dragon - Silence - Hannibal) unfold on a channel with the freedom to not "hold back", if you know what I mean. Imagine the production value of Boardwalk Empire for a show like this.

Instead, we've got a pulled episode that probably very few regular viewers saw, and the dread of Hannibal being cancelled as each week passes. Knowing NBC, it will most likely be cancelled which is such a crying shame because I almost have a compulsive need at this point to see this show reach at least season 4.

It does seem that if it were to be renewed, we would have heard about it by now. I thought the Following was renewed by the third episode. :(

Such a crying shame. Probably the last live-action Hannibal Lecter adaptation we'll see for a longggg time.

Such a crying shame. Probably the last live-action Hannibal Lecter adaptation we'll see for a longggg time.

I don't think that is such a bad thing. I have the blu-rays of the first three Hannibal movies (Red Dragon and Hannibal Rising: no thanks) and I watch them over and over again. I don't need fresh content all the time for a classic story.

You guys are stressing me out.

Some Gillian Anderson spoilers instead http://seriable.com/hannibal-gillian-anderson-spoilers/

“They have a very strange relationship, we’re still trying to figure out what it’s based on. But she’s retired, something terrible happened to her years ago, and whether or not I’m a part of that we will see. But she’s a very clever, very smart woman, and they have secrets together and what they are, you’ll have to see.”

I need more Hannibal damn it. Especially this incarnation. Mads is just ****ing brilliant. The writing and dialogue is brilliant. The only and it's only a slightly negative thing for me is the procedural feel to the show. I hate most procedurals and I think this needs to be more streamlined and serialized instead of having weekly cases. It serves the story too like, why does Will only have nightmares about getting in Hobbs' mind and not any of the other killers? Cuz it's clear he put just as much of himself into each case as he did Hobbs. That's my one and only complaint

I don't think that is such a bad thing. I have the blu-rays of the first three Hannibal movies (Red Dragon and Hannibal Rising: no thanks) and I watch them over and over again. I don't need fresh content all the time for a classic story.

I think Red Dragon is solid at best. Was awesome to see Hopkins back, and I'm glad we got an adaptation of that book that featured Hopkins and the cast of that series (unlike Manhunter). Plus, Fiennes was great as always. Hannibal Rising was just an unnecessary book by Thomas Harris to begin with (the book even had mixed critical response unlike the others), and the movie was destined to not live up to the other films. It seemed like more of a rush job than the others for sure.

I don't need fresh content all the time for a classic story either, but I do welcome it, especially with something like this Hannibal show where it's a loose (yet oddly faithful) interpretation of the source material that's showing us things we've never seen before...but is ultimately leading to familiar story points that we'll all be happy to see. Much like Bates Motel, I think content like this is way more exciting than us getting a straight 'Psycho' or 'Silence of the Lambs' remake or reboot. While I always have the classics in this series to watch, I'll miss not seeing anything new. IMO, there should be new interpretations of classic material for new generations. If anything, it'll lead new fans to discover the originals and will keep Hannibal Lecter on the pop culture spectrum for years to come.

I found Hannibal Rising to be surprisingly enjoyable. I went in thinking it would be horrible.

I found Hannibal Rising to be surprisingly enjoyable. I went in thinking it would be horrible.

'Hannibal Rising' is a problem for me, because it boringly gives us Hannibal's tragic backstory (with his sister being killed and cannibalized by Nazis) and then shows him killing out of anger and vengeance the whole time. All of that is touched upon in a flashback in the 'Hannibal' novel, but it's not something we really needed to see. Still, I was excited for the movie, just disappointed in its overall quality. Both Rising and Red Dragon would've benefitted from better directors at the helm.

I love the point in Lecter's life that we're seeing on NBC's Hannibal, well into his killing career but before his incarceration. Not too old of a man, but not too young either. A pure sociopath in action, with (as far we know) very little rhyme or reason for his murders other than that he immensely enjoys it. He hasn't even necessarily been outed as a cannibal yet, but it's alluded to every time they show him eating/cooking and because the Ripper only removes some organs. The FBI doesn't even realize the Ripper is a cannibal, since they believe the removed organs to be "trophies". Gonna be interesting to see these developments unfold (if the ****ing show continues).

Also, if NBC's Hannibal stretches on longer, I imagine they'd touch upon Hannibal's origins a little, which would have to be updated and modified to fit this new version. I DON'T WANT IT TO END.

It is troubling that this show might be renewed; it is one of the most distinctive programs on standard television. Name another show where you have a cast and distinct and talented, in addition to an aesthetic as vibrant and symbolic? If it falls through, I feel bad for Fuller, considering all of the arcs he had mapped out, in addition to his treatment at NBC (first Mockingbird Lane, and this, if it is not renewed...)

I do think this is the most violent procedural-type show I've seen in recent memory. I can see how it would be off-putting for some and might have trouble finding an audience on NBC when it's following comedies.

How is there no news yet??!! This is just ****ing ridiculous.

why do I get the feeling that the hand of doom is on the horizon and about to fall?

I think it is too. I'm already upset about it at this point lol

Can we please hold out a sliver of hope until we know? It gets depressing to come on here and see everyone already in mourning.

there just didn't seem to be that much of an improvement on last week's ratings as opposed to the previous week's... and they said that for a renewal, the numbers would have to be better... I would assume they would prefer a SIGNIFICANT improvement...

but who knows?... just gotta wait it out...

The show began airing in the UK today. I hope it did well. Apparently it was trending on twitter.

I'll give you guys a sliver of hope....there is talk that NBC might renew a few of their shows in order to save their new stuff for an Olympic rating boost next winter. So basically, fill the fall schedule with stuff that they would otherwise cancel and give their new shows the lead in of the Olympics.

Matt! You are ****ing with people's lives now! Lol.... I'm seriously worried. I've woke up the last 5 nights in a row now worried about coming on here for the news. This waiting for the word is driving me crazy. I just love this show way too much. Ugggghhhh. Come on Jesus! Help a brother out!

damns dude... I understand likin' a show a lot, but losin' sleep over it?... not bein' able to live without it?...

come on, man... get a grip already, LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"