Guardians of the Galaxy Drax The Man on the Sax: a Thread for the Destroyer - Part 1

I know a lot of people here think Bautista will be fine as Drax because he won't be speaking very much, but damn do I love Drax and I really hope he has more than a couple of lines. I'm disappointed with Bautista and hope that Gunn can work with him to give us a Drax the fans want.

Wow, could not agree with this more, I do really worry about the characterisation of Drax with Bautista being cast, as I think they will keep him pretty much silent.

That is NOT who Drax is, Drax talks and when he does he says important and meaningful things. I have read pretty much every incarnation of Drax and never has he been the silent type, even when he was dumb he spoke a lot, the newer, modern Drax, which they seem to be going for, speaks a hell of a lot.

So mainly, as a fan of the character, and as someone who is looking forward to seeing Drax more than any other character in this movie, I hope thats not the route they go with him.

They wrote the script before they cast the role. Whatever they "have to do" had already been decided before Batista.

Whatever, dude. It was a joking comment on Batitsta's acting ability.

Wow, could not agree with this more, I do really worry about the characterisation of Drax with Bautista being cast, as I think they will keep him pretty much silent.

That is NOT who Drax is, Drax talks and when he does he says important and meaningful things. I have read pretty much every incarnation of Drax and never has he been the silent type, even when he was dumb he spoke a lot, the newer, modern Drax, which they seem to be going for, speaks a hell of a lot.

So mainly, as a fan of the character, and as someone who is looking forward to seeing Drax more than any other character in this movie, I hope thats not the route they go with him.

You know there was a time when Chris Evans was just a wise-cracking pretty boy.

People need to give Batista a chance and not worry so much. He'll actually be working with a legitimate director and you'd have to think at this point they've been coaching him up with acting classes.

Can someone show me an example of dialogue from Guardian's comics that they're so worried Batista can't deliver?

:up: Glad you approve.

You know there was a time when Chris Evans was just a wise-cracking pretty boy.

People need to give Batista a chance and not worry so much. He'll actually be working with a legitimate director and you'd have to think at this point they've been coaching him up with acting classes.

Can someone show me an example of dialogue from Guardian's comics that they're so worried Batista can't deliver?

Chris Evans had also proven himself in serious roles though, has nobody seen Sunshine? That was in 2007, 3 years before he got involved in Cap, so while he was known for comedic roles, he had done serious ones and done them well I might add.

Now I cant give you specific panels of Drax as I only have the comics and nothing to scan them, but I will give you example, do you think Bautista will be able to pull off Drax finding out his daughter is alive after existing for around 20 years thinking she was dead?

People have posted panels showing Drax as a very talkative and deep character and people still want him to be a silent wall of muscle there's no changing anyone's mind

Chris Evans had also proven himself in serious roles though, has nobody seen Sunshine? That was in 2007, 3 years before he got involved in Cap, so while he was known for comedic roles, he had done serious ones and done them well I might add.

Ya, but he was the wise-cracking pretty boy waaaay before Sunshine. Then he got his chance to prove he could show a different side.

Now I cant give you specific panels of Drax as I only have the comics and nothing to scan them, but I will give you example, do you think Bautista will be able to pull off Drax finding out his daughter is alive after existing for around 20 years thinking she was dead?

Will that be included in the script? I have to see how it was emoted in the comics to understand if he can or cannot accurately portray a scene like that.

I just think the level of expected "dramatic tone" is overstated for these MCU films by quite a few people.

AWJ, do you think there was anyone on the production of Sunshine worried about Evans' acting ability and his ability to deliver the lines because at that point he'd only played wise-cracking pretty boys? If there was any doubts, he was nonetheless given a chance to prove he could show a different side, as Rock says. Just as Batista may have gotten his chance in this.

Everyone deserves a chance and I trust that the powers that be have enough experience between them to have seen something in the guy that makes them beleive he's capable.

People have posted panels showing Drax as a very talkative and deep character and people still want him to be a silent wall of muscle there's no changing anyone's mind

I think when you get a set of characters that almost no one has read, they just project on them. "Well, I don't know this character...so he can be this archetype!"

The movies aren't the comics, obviously.

I don't think he'll be totally silent, but it wouldn't surprise if he doesn't talk a whole lot.

Where do you get him being "talkative and deep?" That one panel that everybody likes posting about Drax and Phyla having a deep discussion about cosmic philosophy perfectly illustrates that it's NOT in Drax's character: Phyla specifically says, "I hate it when you do that," and proceeds to imply that it's rare as hell for him to wax philosophical, let alone speak at all.

I mean I'm not gonna argue it anymore obviously neither side of this is gonna change their mind.

Where do you get him being "talkative and deep?" That one panel that everybody likes posting about Drax and Phyla having a deep discussion about cosmic philosophy perfectly illustrates that it's NOT in Drax's character: Phyla specifically says, "I hate it when you do that," and proceeds to imply that it's rare as hell for him to wax philosophical, let alone speak at all.

And I don't understand where people get him barely speaking at all. Sure, out of all the Guardians he might be the least talkative, but he still talks a decent amount. He's far from a mute, even if he's not going all existential.

And I don't understand where people get him barely speaking at all. Sure, out of all the Guardians he might be the least talkative, but he still talks a decent amount. He's far from a mute, even if he's not going all existential.

Yeah, I don't think he needs to play a mostly-mute, by any stretch; I just question why everyone thinks Drax is some profound philosopher just because once in a blue moon (literally, in some cases) he goes off on a tangent. He's still a gruff kill-first-ask-questions-later asskicker, not a closet intellectual.

I think the movie will focus on Quill (Unless Iron Man is in it, and he because our way into the group, and we view things through his eyes), so I am guessing the movie will be mostly about Quill. Gamora will have a slightly less large part but still important since she was adopted and trained by Thanos (if he is the bad guy in the film) and Rocket Racoon will have some memorable lines. I think Drax will have less lines than Gamora but maybe more or a little less lines than Rocket. I see him being the guy who doesn't talk much, the strong silent type. He will still have lines but because Quill will be the star and Gamora will have an important part, I think the other three, Drax, Rocket and Groot, will have less of a role. Groot will have the least amount of lines.

I don't know. But in the comics I have seen so far, Drax doesn't talk much. Says whats important but thats all.

I think the movie will focus on Quill (Unless Iron Man is in it, and he because our way into the group, and we view things through his eyes), so I am guessing the movie will be mostly about Quill. Gamora will have a slightly less large part but still important since she was adopted and trained by Thanos (if he is the bad guy in the film) and Rocket Racoon will have some memorable lines. I think Drax will have less lines than Gamora but maybe more or a little less lines than Rocket. I see him being the guy who doesn't talk much, the strong silent type. He will still have lines but because Quill will be the star and Gamora will have an important part, I think the other three, Drax, Rocket and Groot, will have less of a role. Groot will have the least amount of lines.

I wonder if they are going to have him say more than "I am Groot".

But yeah, I agree pretty much with what you said. Obviously none of us know for sure, it's just speculation. They hired a wrestler with no acting ability to play the part...I doubt he's going to be super verbose in this.

I know one thing .... when first saw the concept art of the group, the first thing I thought about when I saw Drax was that he's probably going to be "talkative and deep" LOL

drax_the_destroyer.jpg

Last edited:
As long as you're basing your opinion on facts and not just a drawing of the dude.

Ya, but he was the wise-cracking pretty boy waaaay before Sunshine. Then he got his chance to prove he could show a different side.

But you pointed out thats all he was known as before he became Cap, it wasnt, he had proven he could do serious, so Marvel casting him was no big shock like you make out it was.

Will that be included in the script? I have to see how it was emoted in the comics to understand if he can or cannot accurately portray a scene like that.

I just think the level of expected "dramatic tone" is overstated for these MCU films by quite a few people.

Should we not expect a bit more of a "dramatic tone" by now? Marvel is apparently ready to take a few more risks now after Avengers, one would think making their movies a bit deeper would be part of that.

As for the script, I dont know whats in it, I doubt Moondragon/Heather will be a part of this first movie, but we could very well see it in the future and I dont see Bautista being able to pull it off. Or any emoting of any kind for that matter, and despite what people think, Drax does emote.

AWJ, do you think there was anyone on the production of Sunshine worried about Evans' acting ability and his ability to deliver the lines because at that point he'd only played wise-cracking pretty boys? If there was any doubts, he was nonetheless given a chance to prove he could show a different side, as Rock says. Just as Batista may have gotten his chance in this.

Evans was known as a more comedic actor, yet in his roles he had done dramatic scene's and done them pretty well, so no, I dont think they were worried much and if anything they were happy to have another known actor in the cast.

Everyone deserves a chance and I trust that the powers that be have enough experience between them to have seen something in the guy that makes them beleive he's capable.

See IMO BB not everyone deserves a chance, there is a reason Bautista isnt some acting master at his age, and there is a reason he has only had 3 film roles in movies so far. He simply isnt a very good actor.

As a fan of the character that is Drax, I expect more than a former wrestler who has barely acted before. Again him being cast also has me very worried about the Drax we are going to get, if they cast a former wrestler in the role I doubt they expect him to act or even speak much, and that isnt Drax, not the one I know anyway.

I am also not one of these people who think Marvel can do no wrong, and IMO they have done things wrong already, but I think this will be their first huge mistake. If Bautista proves me wrong, I will more than happily eat crow, hell if anything I want him to prove me wrong. But at this point I have zero confidence in that happening.

There are only so many people who can pull off Drax's look naturally. At least Bautista has some acting experience and he fits the look about as perfectly as someone can.

See IMO BB not everyone deserves a chance, there is a reason Bautista isnt some acting master at his age, and there is a reason he has only had 3 film roles in movies so far. He simply isnt a very good actor.

Respectfully, that's a matter of opinion.

It could just be that he was a wrestler and not an actor and has only recently got into acting. Fact is that some people just have other careers before moving into acting, hell, Stallone was a lion-cage cleaner, Brad Pitt dressed in a chicken costume to get people into a restaurant, Bill Murray stood outside a grocery store selling chestnuts, Demi Moore worked for a debt collection agency, Christopher Lee was a hangman's assistant and so on. Did anyone say then that 'so and so shouldnt be in this movie because last week they were worknig in a supermarket?'

A persons previous employment has no bearing on talent or aptitude in another field. Or at least it shouldnt have. Yet people still fashion pre-conveived opinions regardless. Me? I like to keep an open mind.

I guess we'll see..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"