World eBay auction: Mary Jane statuette - Drool!

StanLee Wannabe

Civilian
Reaction score
Check this bad boy out. If I wasn't saving for a costume I'd buy this in a heartbeat!

f96f_1.JPG
1d9a_1.JPG
3346_1.JPG

That always WAS my problem with Kirsten Dunst - she was never hot enough! Mary Jane was a model, ffs. Always was over-the-top hot. This statuette lives up to the legend.

The statue is well crafted and does a good job of modeling the art of Adam Hughes (from which this statue is based). But it is far too sexualized for my tastes. Not that i'm a prude. I just don't like the idea of conforming to stereotypes about the super hero aspect of the comics medium and the frequent objectification of women. She could be wearing that same outfit without having to have her butt sticking out while doing Spider-Man's laundry. That sets women (and the men writing them and drawing them in this industry) back quite a few decades...

Well the sticking her butt out part - I agree - that's a bit sexist. But I have no problem with the laundry part because it's kind of a tongue-in-cheek joke. Wives and husbands both do laundry - it's not servile. Here it's a funny scene because of the juxtaposition of superhero (the costume) with the everyday (laundry). That's what makes the scene funny.

Take the sexy pose out and I think it's fine.

I'm not so much against the image of her doing laundry. Laundry must be done and couples usually share that responsibilty (well at least some). It is the fact that she is sexually positioned while simultaneously doing laundry that bothers me. It fits in with "barefoot and in the kitchen." I read the design proposal in which it mentions Spidey sneaking his suit into the laundry. So I see the humor they are trying to establish...I just feel like it dead pans in light of the appearence of the statue. But don't let me discourage you. I'm just voicing my perspective. I once had the Adam Hughes Supergirl poster on my wall. Every woman I know gave me crap about it being on my wall. And she wasn't even sexualized. But something about having anything above B breasts, turns it into an offensive image.
supergirl_hughes.jpg

So I suppose it is just rubbing off on me.

Nah, I think we're on the same wavelength. That's a GREAT image. Beautiful supergirl eerr woman. Gotta make sure we keep our manhood but stay respectful too.

Check this bad boy out. If I wasn't saving for a costume I'd buy this in a heartbeat!

f96f_1.JPG
1d9a_1.JPG
3346_1.JPG

That always WAS my problem with Kirsten Dunst - she was never hot enough! Mary Jane was a model, ffs.

Kirsten's a model too....:huh:

Just because she doesnt show off her thong doesnt mean she isnt hot.

Some women just like to compain (to put it nicely) about female character from games or comics or whatever. Just because they are average...
I mean, c'mon. I don't biatch about G I Joe:S
Who's with me?:p

Some women just like to compain (to put it nicely) about female character from games or comics or whatever. Just because they are average...
:down Kirsten doesn't even act like MJ either.

I agree, but how does that reply to my post?:p

Or it could be the fact that we currentlly live in an era of patriarchical socities that continually maintain gender stereotypes and low grade fantasies that entertain and cater to our male basal instincts. I'm not against "beautiful" women in my fictional media, be it comics or video games or what have you. But it is a problem when a woman's sexuality takes great precedent over her actual character. You can have a statue of MJ that doesn't involve her being relegatedd to the role of house wife and trophy.

And even with the proposed comical slant of Peter sneaking in his Spidey laundry, there was no reason to have her butt thrusted out while wearing a thong. I know its odd to hear coming from another male, but I consider myself progressive. And on that note, I consider actions such as the creation of this statue, to be regressive. This is why women don't read comics or play games like men do. Because anytime we feature female characters, they are always some object of sexual obsession.

That looks amazing, but I myself am saving my money. I just bought the Amazing Spider-Man Complete Collection, and now I plan to make my own costume soon.

Kirsten's a model too....:huh:

Just because she doesnt show off her thong doesnt mean she isnt hot.

Even without the thong showing, Kirsten's not even close Cap. I know you've been reading longer than I have, but I started with McFarlane, Larsen and Bagley. Picture their Mary Janes, and then Kirsten Dunst. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but Kirsten = Not hot.

I don't know who they should've cast, maybe an unknown, but it would've been better if she was beautiful, instead of just kinda cute.

As for the Adam Hughes statue: Sexist? Yes. Shows women as objects? Yes! Very hot and how I picture MJ to look? YES!!

I miss your Captain Stacy avy buy the way and would like to see it return. Classic

MJ_Sideshow.jpg

Here's a quote from AH!
Over on Newsarama, a man goes on the record, and it’s Adam Hughes talking about his designs for the Mary Jane statue. First, the secret origin:

My idea was pretty simple, I thought – classic Mary Jane, from the days when Peter and MJ were boyfriend and girlfriend, and she’s found his Spider-Man costume in the laundry basket. It’s the weird little secret that couples have from each other that gets discovered. For me, the gag was that this was the moment when Mary Jane found out that her boyfriend is Spider-Man. She’s not doing his laundry, because I don’t know anybody that does laundry in a basket on a table. Even if you don’t have a washing machine, you’d do the laundry in the sink. This was MJ spotting something in the basket, pulling it out, and doing the “What’s this?” with a look back to Peter over her shoulder.

NRAMA: Still – why this pose and this look?

AH: Well, Mary Jane isn’t a superhero, so you can’t really do anything with her that’s not some version of her just standing there. On top of that, they’ve already done a fantastic statue of her first appearance of “Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot!” So – with that gone, what do you do with her? My thought was to do something that hearkens back to the good old days of the Brown and Bigelow pinup calendars, which is why I put her in the straight-leg bent over pose. It was supposed to be her pulling the shirt out of the laundry basket with a knowing look over her shoulder. Somebody also made a big deal that she was conspicuously not wearing her wedding ring. It’s the iconic look, not the current status, which changes daily. Mary Jane, for the majority of her life as a character, was Peter Parker’s girlfriends. Mary Jane’s life as Mrs. Peter Parker has been the minority of her years. I was going for the iconic look, the iconic era MJ.

Or it could be the fact that we currentlly live in an era of patriarchical socities that continually maintain gender stereotypes and low grade fantasies that entertain and cater to our male basal instincts. I'm not against "beautiful" women in my fictional media, be it comics or video games or what have you. But it is a problem when a woman's sexuality takes great precedent over her actual character. You can have a statue of MJ that doesn't involve her being relegatedd to the role of house wife and trophy.

And even with the proposed comical slant of Peter sneaking in his Spidey laundry, there was no reason to have her butt thrusted out while wearing a thong. I know its odd to hear coming from another male, but I consider myself progressive. And on that note, I consider actions such as the creation of this statue, to be regressive. This is why women don't read comics or play games like men do. Because anytime we feature female characters, they are always some object of sexual obsession.

Ok, I get your piont.
But what I'm saying is... Whenever I see Spiderman, I just go like "Wow, there goes my hero":D And that man is showing each of his manly muscles to the world. Even his butcheeks for christ sake!
I don't care that I don't have that exact figure.
So why would women complain about... Lara Croft for instance?

Even without the thong showing, Kirsten's not even close Cap. I know you've been reading longer than I have, but I started with McFarlane, Larsen and Bagley. Picture their Mary Janes, and then Kirsten Dunst. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but Kirsten = Not hot.

"not hot"?????

gfd_l1.jpg

"not hot"?????

gfd_l1.jpg

gfd_l6.jpg

"not hot"?????

gfd_l1.jpg

gfd_l6.jpg

gfd_l7.jpg

I dunno, man...you must have some pretty strict standards. Personally, i'd put Kirsten in my top ten. Easily. ( Or maybe MY standards are just low, lol)

Sorry for the gazillion posts...this place is acting wonky today, lol...:woot:

1)When they have guys in skin tight outfits or shirtless, it is usually only to act as a display of their own machismo e.g. Rambo, John McClain etc. Men aren't shown in provacative poses, nor do their costumes perfecltly sculpt out their genitals. Women on the other hand, do tend to suffer that. You ever seen a woman in a tight shirt or spandex? It never forms around the breast (impossible without adhesive). It forms over the breast. Except in comic books where most female super heroes some how wear biknis or skirts.

2)Kirsten Dunst is attractive. I don't know about hot...but she is pretty. A little too skinny...but still...pretty.

2)Kirsten Dunst is attractive. I don't know about hot...but she is pretty. A little too skinny...but still...pretty.
Thank you. Yeah, she's allright. Not HOTT!! not my type. I like 'em curvey.

Kirsten's just too plain. Sure they can glam her up for a Maxim shoot. She's got a decent body, but her face, while attractive, is too plain. MJ was always OVER the top hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"