World Eddie Brock's Club House...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep trying to figure out why Venom: Dark Origin turned out the way it did and I think I know why. Let's follow the bread crumbs.

1. We know for a fact that Venom: Dark Origin was 1st announced before Spider-Man 3 hit theatres, although details about the comic were extremely limited. The only known info was A) promotional art of Venom (this art was used for part 3 of the finished story), and B) Angel Medina was the artists. Other important details (release dates, the writer, if it was a one-shot or a limited series or an on-going, if it took place in 616 continuity, if it was a flashback story) were unknown.
  2. Even though this story was 1st announced BEFORE SM3, it didn't come out until a great deal (at least a year) AFTER SM3.
I keep wondering why Zeb Wells went the direction he did with DO. Why was Eddie portrayed the way he was, mostly. I think Dark Origin was really supposed to come out as a SM3 tie-in, and for reasons still unknown, did not. This would explain a few things...

1. Why Eddie looked an awful lot like a comic-styled Topher Grace-Eddie Brock. I didn't see it at 1st, but the more I reread DO, the more I got the impression that the way he looked in DO was too similar to what SM3's Eddie Brock (Topher) would have looked like in comic-form.
  2. Why Eddie in DO was portrayed as an irredeemable s***, which is a great contrast to classic 616 Eddie Brock. Movie Eddie behaved very much like DO Eddie: they were both *****es.
The only explanation I have for the delay? (In other words, why the hell release a movie tie-in a year after the movie's release?) Marvel was in the process of the whole Spider-Man retcon (OMD/BND) status quo. They didn't just want the Venom comic to be a movie tie-in. It was also going to be an updated origin for the characters of Eddie and the symbiote. They probably (probably) decided to have the story come out sometime after that so the could "fit" the Venom origin in with the new Spidey timeline (ya know, the OMD altered one; doing an origin story where Peter and MJ are married when they weren't in the new timeline).

On a different note, I've expressed how Marvel's ideas for Anti-Venom are just rehashed, redone ideas from the "Lethal Protector" era of Venom, right? How they're just repeating "good guy" Venom all over again and calling it "life-chnaging and new"? Well, it just hit me that that's even truer now with "New Ways to Live". Eddie "started" his career as a vigilante as Anti-Venom in New Ways to Die, and that's being followed by the story New Ways to Live, featuring the Punisher. That's just the same thing as when Eddie started his career as a vigilanted as Venom in Lethal Protector, and Marvel then followed that up with Funeral Pyre, featuring Punisher.

Lethal Protector, Venom's 1st vigilante limited series, followed by Funeral Pyre, his 2nd limited, co-starring the Punisher.

NWTD, Anti-Venom's 1st vigilanted arc, followed by NWTL, his 2nd arc, co-starring the Punisher.

BND-era Spidey is nothing spectacular, and I'm sensing this again with BND-era Eddie.

I completly understand what you're saying.

The idea of Eddie Brock/Venom as an anti-hero vigilante is absurd. Read the graphic novel Avengers: Deathtrap the Vault. Venom is portrayed as an irredeemably insane, sadistic murderer.

^^ Well, it's better than having Gargan as Veno mforever. Besides, I'm glad Brock is back in some sort of symbiote suit.

They gotta get Gargan back as Scorpion, and Eddie back as Venom, and while they're at it they can bring back Carnage.

They gotta get Gargan back as Scorpion, and Eddie back as Venom, and while they're at it they can bring back Carnage.
*Spider Girl* Read it it has way to much Carnage.

Very well done but the song kind of sucks

^^ Well, it's better than having Gargan as Veno mforever. Besides, I'm glad Brock is back in some sort of symbiote suit.
I actually kinda like Gargan as Venom, but I would like Eddie to someday become the originaly Venom we all know and love. I can't say anything about anti-venom, cause I haven't read anything with him yet.

Speaking of Anti-Venom, has New Ways to Live come out yet? I'm looking forward to that.

I'm just disappointed they didn't use Bagley's design for MUA2. Out of all the Venom artists, they choose the one artist that has drawn him only in one comic.

This is going to be great, I love this direction for Brock.. :)

This is going to be great, I love this direction for Brock.. :)
I agree. It's been an interesting direction to take Eddie; definitely going to be picking it up come Wednesday.

I don't normally post on this thread, as I got thrust into a debate (my first few posts on SHH) and I don;t want that to happen again.

I will say this though:

Is this an interesting direction for Eddie?
- It depends on your preference

Is this a NEW direction for Eddie?
- absolutely not. It is EXACTLY like Venom: Lethal Protector down to a tee.
I personally was entertained by Lethal Protector, but I know others weren't.

Did I like Venom: Lethal Protector? Yes. One of my favorites.
Did I like the continuation of Venom AS a lethal protector? No.

I'm also glad Brock looks like his old self again. As good as new, sorta. Cancer-ridden Eddie and Venom-era Mac looked way too similar: slim and bald. I wouldn't be able to tell them apart if the were together.

Yeah, I am happy Eddie is back to normal visually. He doesn't seem to be as buff though. I'm not sure if that's due to artist or to the character

I don't normally post on this thread, as I got thrust into a debate (my first few posts on SHH) and I don;t want that to happen again.

I will say this though:

Is this an interesting direction for Eddie?
- It depends on your preference

Is this a NEW direction for Eddie?
- absolutely not. It is EXACTLY like Venom: Lethal Protector down to a tee.
I personally was entertained by Lethal Protector, but I know others weren't.
At first I thought like this, but actually I think with the whole emphasis of him healing and curing, it actually may significantly change up the dynamic. At first his main goal was to kill villainy, things could be quite black or white. Also, since his "rebirth" it doesn't come off as somewhat odd anymore, he's not hating on Spidey, in fact he fully buried the hatchet. With this now lease on life, he may be a bit more cautious in killing foes and may weigh if he can "forgive them" and give them a second chance. In his first one shot he gave up the chase of the drug dealers to save Jenna Cole (who now appears will be a large part of his supporting cast) also, in the preview his quote makes it seem like he may not even kill now (forgetting about the killing of the inner demons.)

"I used to kill strangers if they got in my way. Now I study their faces and remind myself they're all people like me."

I'm just wondering if there will be a theme of second chances and forgiveness this time around. I'm not really sure. I'm just hoping this will work, because right now I don't really think going back to the old Peter Parker hate would work at this point.

On the subject of his size, I don't think he'll be bigger for a while. Since he wasted away from cancer and then was healed, he was pretty much normal sized. I guess now being anti-Venom he's going to be getting in better shape, so he most likely will put on some weight, but I'm not sure if he'll be depicted as being huge anymore, but then again, you'll never know with artists. :)

Hmm also noticed something in the preview:
"Not going to complain about it thought. It's not always about me." Hmm I dunno, it seems like Brock's growing. That line really stood out to me, but in a good way.

Last edited:
At first I thought like this, but actually I think with the whole emphasis of him healing and curing, it actually may significantly change up the dynamic. At first his main goal was to kill villainy, things could be quite black or white. Also, since his "rebirth" it doesn't come off as somewhat odd anymore, he's not hating on Spidey, in fact he fully buried the hatchet. With this now lease on life, he may be a bit more cautious in killing foes and may weigh if he can "forgive them" and give them a second chance. In his first one shot he gave up the chase of the drug dealers to save Jenna Cole (who now appears will be a large part of his supporting cast) also, in the preview his quote makes it seem like he may not even kill now (forgetting about the killing of the inner demons.)

"I used to kill strangers if they got in my way. Now I study their faces and remind myself they're all people like me."

I'm just wondering if there will be a theme of second chances and forgiveness this time around. I'm not really sure. I'm just hoping this will work, because right now I don't really think going back to the old Peter Parker hate would work at this point.

On the subject of his size, I don't think he'll be bigger for a while. Since he wasted away from cancer and then was healed, he was pretty much normal sized. I guess now being anti-Venom he's going to be getting in better shape, so he most likely will put on some weight, but I'm not sure if he'll be depicted as being huge anymore, but then again, you'll never know with artists. :)

Hmm also noticed something in the preview:
"Not going to complain about it thought. It's not always about me." Hmm I dunno, it seems like Brock's growing. That line really stood out to me, but in a good way.

hmm.
He DID say that he would kill Gargan though.
Perhaps he has chnaged, though i don't think its by much.
I don't like him as Anti-Venom anyway (nothing against the character, I just perfer Brock as Venom)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"