Family Guy and South Park Question

Yeah Bart has gone soft. Anybody know when the Simpsons movie will be out?

Family guy is more a bombardment of pop culture references than a central plot. It's more random and less realistic. Anything can happen at any time. It's just a different kind of show if you think about it. It's different from South Park or Simpsons.

I like the references. An episode works more as a collection of jokes. The overall plots usually suck but the culture references, often old and sometimes slightly obscure, are great.

But it's gone downhill in the fourth season, when it suddenly decided college students were it's demograph for the comeback. I mean, they are, but they didn't realize the bit of class seasons 1-3 is what drew them in the first place.

8Ball2/JanG5 said:
Family guy is more a bombardment of pop culture references than a central plot. It's more random and less realistic. Anything can happen at any time. It's just a different kind of show if you think about it. It's different from South Park or Simpsons.

I like the references. An episode works more as a collection of jokes. The overall plots usually suck but the culture references, often old and sometimes slightly obscure, are great.

But it's gone downhill in the fourth season, when it suddenly decided college students were it's demograph for the comeback. I mean, they are, but they didn't realize the bit of class seasons 1-3 is what drew them in the first place.

But the thing is that this constants bomabrdment takes away more and more from the purpose of even having a plot. In the pre-cancellation season the plots were more cohesive and had less of the throwaway gags, now it seems that there's about five minutes of plot in an episode while the rest is filled up with references that are becoming more and more obscure (ie. The Peanut Butter Jelly Time banana, and the "Ding! Fries are Done" guy).

But who needs a plot when they can show a 2 minute animated clip of something like "Weird science" with Brian the dog in place of Anthony Michael Hall.

As long as it makes me laugh, I'll continue to watch

The Comedian said:
But the thing is that this constants bomabrdment takes away more and more from the purpose of even having a plot. In the pre-cancellation season the plots were more cohesive and had less of the throwaway gags, now it seems that there's about five minutes of plot in an episode while the rest is filled up with references that are becoming more and more obscure (ie. The Peanut Butter Jelly Time banana, and the "Ding! Fries are Done" guy).

But who needs a plot when they can show a 2 minute animated clip of something like "Weird science" with Brian the dog in place of Anthony Michael Hall.

Isn't that what I just said? That it's going downhill because when it came back in its 4th season it targeted college students too much?

But as far as being plotless, once again, that's not a bad thing. It's just different. Not all media has to have much of a plot,or a plot at all.

Addendum said:
As long as it makes me laugh, I'll continue to watch

Thank you. That is all that matters.

Even though Seth and the "Family Guy" staff appear to be amused at the "South Park" parody of their show (which was surprisingly accurate byy the way), I wonder if they'll retaliate. I'll never understand why so many people hate "Family Guy", though. Let's see, so far it's Kevin Smith, Matt and Trey, the crew of "Ren & Stimpy", and Matt Groening, and I think a few others that might've slipped my mind at the moment.

King Ruler said:
Thank you. That is all that matters.

Even though Seth and the "Family Guy" staff appear to be amused at the "South Park" parody of their show (which was surprisingly accurate byy the way), I wonder if they'll retaliate. I'll never understand why so many people hate "Family Guy", though. Let's see, so far it's Kevin Smith, Matt and Trey, the crew of "Ren & Stimpy", and Matt Groening, and I think a few others that might've slipped my mind at the moment.

Again, Matt Groening is a very soft-spoken guy and actually has no problem with Family Guy. The people who have a problem with Family Guy are a very vocal minority at the Simpsons, a show that hasn't been good in years anyway.

And I don't think there'd be nearly as much hate if Family Guy had just been done as a some sort of sketch show, ala an SNL or something, but with a continuing cast of characters. My problem is that if you purport to be a show with a storyline, don't give us a ****ty storyline and then throw in gags based entirely in the arbitrary.

True. However, it's like the hick said when he dropped Kyle off at Fox Studios: "It may just be random joke after joke, but I like that. At least it doesn't get all preachy up it's own ass with messages."

This is true. Recently, South Park has lost the trend of the "fake-out message," in favor of actually trying to get the audience to learn something. Listen, if I want to get preached to by someone on TV, I'll wait for the "The More you Know" NBC TV spots. Until then, do what you do best. Do jokes.

Right now, and I guarantee you this, Seth Mcfarlane is laughing his rich ass off at all this right now. The South Park people get so worked up over it, and he's just sniffing some blow and laughing. They could learn something from him.

In regard to Kevin Smith- ABC ****ed up his show, not Family Guy.

And while I like Ren and Stimpy, their show has been off the air for a while. I do remember briefly that SpikeTV, back when they were "The New TNN" had a new Ren and Stimpy show. It lasted for 2 days. Why? It was nowhere near as funny as the original series. And Seth was in college when Nickelodeon gave Kricfalusi the boot during the original series run.

All I see are some disgruntled cartoonists who want to blame someone else when the show they work gets ****ed over by the network that airs it

i hate how south park has gotten so preachy. They ram their message over your head

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"