Fantastic Four 2 DVD: Rate and Review Thread

I rentd the dvd and saw the movie for the first time... holy crap was that an awful movie (btw, wtf is up with jesscia alba being the same color as her wig... and the contacts???). The lack of extras was annoying too.

Above-average -- bear in mind I only picked up the single-disc edition. The commentaries were informative but not really going through again. The audiovisual quality is excellent, but I don't know why Fox is still putting out these dual-sided discs with the p/s version on one side and the widescreen format on the other when now a lot of people are realizing the benefits of widescreen. A single-sided disc in widescreen would've increased the video bitrate and allow for the inclusion of a DTS track. But on the other hand, people won't have to worry about buying the wrong disc.

And this is one of the increasingly rare instances that Fox includes a chapter insert as opposed to just a promotional insert or none at all. The insert is a two sheet promotional flyer for Marvel and FF-related items with the scene selections printed on the third page. So I cut off the promotional stuff and just put the sheet with the scene selections back in the case.

I loved the movie, but I think that, especially given the example of FF1, I'm going to wait for an extended version DVD.

Only above average imo. Watched it tonight, the video and audio presentation is great but I was slightly disappointed by the extras especially in the Family Bonds doc - R2 only get to view the pre-production and production featurettes ie. we're missing out on the Power Cosmic/post production section which is stupid and annoying!!

I could have done without the Fantasticar featurette in place of a post-production featurette, especially after watching pre and production featurettes!!:rolleyes:

i always enjoy seeing the behind the scenes, especially on high-tech movies. but they usually do get a bit long winded...

i found a mail in rebate for aaa members on the dvd, if anyone else is looking for a deal. the link is here:

http://www.aaaandfantastic4.com/index.cfm

The movie itself I think is underrated. The DVD extras? Non existant :down

I enjoyed the movie but this dvd was crappy. Aside from the regular perks of HD Blu-ray...the extras were craptastic. No bloopers and the deleted scenes were horrendous. The behind the scenes was not even at all in depth. I want behind the scenes that explain all the magic...this had little. My guess is that they intentionally withheld to double dip. So the dvd gets a 6/10.

So I'm buying SM3 and Vacancy on Monday, I may have enough left over for the single disc, I was wondering, is it worth waiting to get the double disc ? Bare in mind I'm not really a commentary person.

^If you liked the movie then go for it. The only good deleted scene is an extended opening and it should have been left in...it was fantastic. On Bluray, the audio is good and the picture is Superb. I would say it is worth the price of a single disc but the extras are horrendous and not worth the price of the extra disc.

So I'm buying SM3 and Vacancy on Monday, I may have enough left over for the single disc, I was wondering, is it worth waiting to get the double disc ? Bare in mind I'm not really a commentary person.

No......and I saw Vacancy at the movies........pretty meh, in my opinion. Disturbia was the best this go around as far as suspense movies...

when will we get HD screencaps from the silver surfer?

^If you liked the movie then go for it. The only good deleted scene is an extended opening and it should have been left in...it was fantastic. On Bluray, the audio is good and the picture is Superb. I would say it is worth the price of a single disc but the extras are horrendous and not worth the price of the extra disc.

No......and I saw Vacancy at the movies........pretty meh, in my opinion. Disturbia was the best this go around as far as suspense movies...

Single disc it is then, I loved Disturbia :up: I;m a big fan of Kate and i like Luke Wilson as well so i'll see what i think of Vacancy.

Well I went to buy the power cosmic edition but somehow rented the single disk instead and watched the movie.

My comments for now are this, one the movie was what it was for me the first go around, average but I liked what we got, I guess it is as good as it gets.

One thing I noted though, I am not sure if I was confused before with the TV spots and the movies but Johnny was appropriately subdued in his battle with Doctor Doom, no Spiderman Whoopdedoo could be heard.

I still hated the lighting on the black forest scene and I see that the writers and editors did too.

And that leads me on to this noticeable point, is it me or did the commentators other than Tim Story seem generally dissatisfied with the FX shots and the turnaround time from the SFX guys. Are we talking Weta here.

That seemed to have affected some of the movie scenes. For instance they mentioned the Johnny/Ben power exchange and how that shot was cut down because of expense and yet a surfer shot was put in late just after ..... an expense they claim was like 20 times what that ben/johnny scene shot cost.

And that shot of the surfer did nothing to move the story along.

Well I watched Transformers for the first time last night and while the movies are stylistically different it brings me to Tim Story once again.

He and Avi and talked over and over about how this story was not about the coming of Galactus and needing to leave something for whoever did the silver surfer movie to bring Galactus to screen (hmmm.....Advanced Dark must be close to these guys, he surely knew how they were thinking).

I feel sorry for Tim Story, I truly do. Sad that he actually thinks that that thought has any validity at all in the context of the choices he made for this movie.

I was never a transformers fan but found myself exhilarated at Michael Bays big screen treatment and the scope of the movie he did. He did not make himself bigger than his material he was faithful to the ethos and to the look and feel of the characters (....I think being no expert).

This can not be said of Tim Story. He chose to do a reinterpretation of a major character in the FF mythos....... Galactus. I found it hard from his comments to put all the blame on Fox studios as I was doing all along.

I felt listening to his comments like he was part and parcel of the decision to "undefine" Galactus.

He seemed satisfied that what he had done served the intentions of Fox studios and their Silver Surfer Spinoff plans and his own and other's difficulties with the character of Galactus. He dismissed the fan outcry on the boards which apparently he has heard no end of....hmmmmm.

At this point because they say imitation is the highest compliment you can pay I would suggest, something that I never would have before, cause I hated Bay movies before now, ..........that Tim and Fox sit and watch Transformers and then FF2 or vice versa as I did and then ask themselves if they can discern a path to improvement and the formula that might get them there. Or maybe they think well this is the movie I wanted to make and they are satisfied. However if they think they can improve that is my suggestion.

Maybe it was the extra 20 million for TF, I dunno.

Am I off topic, I am like a stuck record these days.

If you mean "like" Transformers, and slight the story, then I disagree....If you mean "like" Transformers and strengthen the story more than Transformers and what we had for F4, then I agree...

If you mean "like" Transformers, and slight the story, then I disagree....If you mean "like" Transformers and strengthen the story more than Transformers and what we had for F4, then I agree...

I think he was talking about learning how to blow ppl through the back of the cinema with the visual scope these characters bring, neither FF2 or TF were deep, both were about equal with story I'd say, although for me Shia simply has it over everyone in both movies as far as screen charisma goes and he brought it in TF. Watching TF and FF2 this year i wouldn't say either got near benchmark films like Spidey 2 and Raiders as far as ticking all the boxes but TF looked like a heavyweight blockbuster in the action and scope department where FF2 looked like a lightweight.

I think he was talking about learning how to blow ppl through the back of the cinema with the visual scope these characters bring, neither FF2 or TF were deep, both were about equal with story I'd say, although for me Shia simply has it over everyone in both movies as far as screen charisma goes and he brought it in TF. Watching TF and FF2 this year i wouldn't say either got near benchmark films like Spidey 2 and Raiders as far as ticking all the boxes but TF looked like a heavyweight blockbuster in the action and scope department where FF2 looked like a lightweight.

Well yea. You have a robot war, that's going to look like a heavtweight compaired to FF. 2 different franchises, 2 different mind sets. FF more story, and family. TF's ? Rock-em Sock-em Robots. Action, action , action. No story, no family. So as useuall, your trying to put down the FF franchise has failed. That is a poor comparision, trying to compair the 2 franchises. Come on Hunter, you can do better.

I saw very little story in Transformers, but I chalk that off to bias, as I am not a fan of this franchise.......as far as Shia, he is a work in progress.

Well yea. You have a robot war, that's going to look like a heavtweight compaired to FF. 2 different franchises, 2 different mind sets. FF more story, and family. TF's ? Rock-em Sock-em Robots. Action, action , action. So as useuall, your trying to put down the FF franchise has failed.

If Galactus had been there and attacked NYC like in the books or if Doom had led an army of doombots....etc...

I saw very little story in Transformers, but I chalk that off to bias, as I am not a fan of this franchise.......as far as Shia, he is a work in progress.

I never said there was a lot of story in TF, i said they were about equal in story, As for Shia, a work in progress ? i would say he has already went way over the 4 leads in FF, having headlined 2 hit pictures this year and become a guy Spielberg and co are casting in their films.

If Galactus had been there and attacked NYC like in the books or if Doom had led an army of doombots....etc...

I never said there was a lot of story in TF, i said they were about equal in story, As for Shia, a work in progress ? i would say he has already went way over the 4 leads in FF, having headlined 2 hit pictures this year and become a guy Spielberg and co are casting in their films.

I would have loved to see Galactus striking, or doombots. Unfortually, not going to happen with cheepskate Fox.TF's and lot of story do not belong in the same sentence ? Lot of story ? How about zilch.

Then we can agree to disagree.....:word:

I would have loved to see Galactus striking, or doombots. Unfortually, not going to happen with cheepskate Fox.TF's and lot of story do not belong in the same sentence ? Lot of story ? How about zilch.

What???? are you calling Fox execs, chickens on wheels???????:huh: :huh:

What's confusing, ??? I disagree with you thats all....

I don't see blockbusters or Spielberg as a gauge to whether or not an actor is "there" or not....I see amount of work, type of work, and my own opinion as a gauge for that.....:yay: I see Meryl Streep, Robert Redford, and in the younger age group, Angelina Jolie, Reese Witherspoon, as "there"....:word: with of course others that I was just too lazy to mention....

What's confusing, ??? I disagree with you thats all....

I don't see blockbusters or Spielberg as a gauge to whether or not an actor is "there" or not....I see amount of work, type of work, and my own opinion as a gauge for that.....:yay: I see Meryl Streep, Robert Redford, and in the younger age group, Angelina Jolie, Reese Witherspoon, as "there"....:word: with of course others that I was just too lazy to mention....

If you have nearly a billion dollars in BO receipts and 3 great critical responses in one year then you are there, as for amount of work, how does that play into it ? Hulk Hogan has been in more movies than Shia or Ryan Golsing but he isn't there. This isn't about either of our opinions, i don't like Sean Penn as an actor at all or Redford for that matter but i can't deny they have made it as credible actors and stars. Plus my initial point is that he is a stronger, more charismatic draw than any of the 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"