Fantastic Four 2 DVD: Rate and Review Thread

If you have nearly a billion dollars in BO receipts and 3 great critical responses in one year then you are there, as for amount of work, how does that play into it ? Hulk Hogan has been in more movies than Shia or Ryan Golsing but he isn't there. This isn't about either of our opinions, i don't like Sean Penn as an actor at all or Redford for that matter but i can't deny they have made it as credible actors and stars. Plus my initial point is that he is a stronger, more charismatic draw than any of the 4.

Rob, I'm not debating the issue, or saying that you are wrong.....I simply see the "body of work" is actually more of what I'm saying, rather than the amount......as being how "I" gauge whether or not "I" think an actor is a major player so to speak....

As far as Transformers, honestly I see the "Transformers" as making the movie a blockbuster, not Shia's performance in it.....but again, that is my humble opinion, nothing more.

So I'm buying SM3 and Vacancy on Monday, I may have enough left over for the single disc, I was wondering, is it worth waiting to get the double disc ? Bare in mind I'm not really a commentary person.
Wait for the double dip my friend

Rob, I'm not debating the issue, or saying that you are wrong.....I simply see the "body of work" is actually more of what I'm saying, rather than the amount......as being how "I" gauge whether or not "I" think an actor is a major player so to speak....

As far as Transformers, honestly I see the "Transformers" as making the movie a blockbuster, not Shia's performance in it.....but again, that is my humble opinion, nothing more.

I honestly never thought this was about opinion's, I mean we don't decide if an actor is a star or a major player, lots of ppl here seem to dislike Will Smith and not enjoy his movies but his success and reviews say he's a star and major player, no matter what.

As for TF, I thought your kids were more into Shia than the bots ? At any rate i think his human character was the films center piece and the key to the audience connecting with the movie, we saw it through his eyes IMO

Wait for the double dip my friend

Ah yes, the famous Fox double dip:woot:

I honestly never thought this was about opinion's, I mean we don't decide if an actor is a star or a major player, lots of ppl here seem to dislike Will Smith and not enjoy his movies but his success and reviews say he's a star and major player, no matter what.

As for TF, I thought your kids were more into Shia than the bots ? At any rate i think his human character was the films center piece and the key to the audience connecting with the movie, we saw it through his eyes IMO

Ah yes, the famous Fox double dip:woot:

Then you've been talking to my kids without me, cause they've never stated that.....their top movie as far as the questionaire at the beginning of the school year was "Superbad"....along with HP, the Simpsons, and then F4. I haven't really spoke with my kids on movies any further than, what was your favorite this summer.....

As far as the "we" saw it through his eyes.....I'm not sure there are any polls that would show a vast majority would say that...in your opinion, sure I can definitely see that, you enjoyed the movie....that's cool.

As far as Will Smith, I could probably count just as many that love him.....its all about opinion in these instances....

As far as this being about opinion.....its always about opinion with me when talking about the enjoyment, the star power, the whatever of actors, movies, etc........I'm not going to say, in any stretch of the matter, that my opinion is how it is, or that it even flows with hollywood. I don't know the "Q" ratings of any of these actors.....I simply know what I call seasoned star powered actors......I doubt I could name you one place that would tell me if I'm right or not....nor do I need to see a percentage to go with.....its just how I see it.:yay:

If Galactus had been there and attacked NYC like in the books or if Doom had led an army of doombots....etc...

I never said there was a lot of story in TF, i said they were about equal in story, As for Shia, a work in progress ? i would say he has already went way over the 4 leads in FF, having headlined 2 hit pictures this year and become a guy Spielberg and co are casting in their films.

I agree with a lot of the points made, Albafan said transformers were light on story and she is not really far off, but what was there was rather appealing and did this film have any downtime. When you have bernie mac doing a cameo like he did just made this movie run, it was little things like this. I must say though that the wedding priest did the same thing for me in FF2

Hunter nailed it though, the action in this movie was like yeah, off the wall. The action in ff2 always seemed to finish just as it might get good. There just was no tension at all to almost anything that they did. From the get go Torch survived his fall much too easily, it just did not seem very real, the threat they were facing.

And Galactus and his punisher robots or some such escalated battle involving the surfer and FF at the end that would have required pinpoint precision as supervised by Reed might have put a good cap to the end but everything seemed so abbreviated. Listening to the commentary I think time was a real problem on this movie. The FX comments seem to suggest somethings were not going well behind the scenes.

That is what I meant, the family part in FF was great and Johnny is clearly able and did give a performance on par with Shia in my opinion but I was on the edge of my seat watching transformers while with FF2 it was not the same.

As I said the styles of the movies are different but what they did in TF seemed to work well whereas what they did with FF2 seemed to lack something.

Carp may have hit the nail on the head though in that 20 million dollars may have been the difference. Finally I think Weta is talking up the difficulty of SS too much, I dunno but maybe they pulled a snow job on fox. It seemed to be costing a lot more than it should I think.

Then you've been talking to my kids without me, cause they've never stated that.....their top movie as far as the questionaire at the beginning of the school year was "Superbad"....along with HP, the Simpsons, and then F4. I haven't really spoke with my kids on movies any further than, what was your favorite this summer.....

As far as the "we" saw it through his eyes.....I'm not sure there are any polls that would show a vast majority would say that...in your opinion, sure I can definitely see that, you enjoyed the movie....that's cool.

As far as Will Smith, I could probably count just as many that love him.....its all about opinion in these instances....

As far as this being about opinion.....its always about opinion with me when talking about the enjoyment, the star power, the whatever of actors, movies, etc........I'm not going to say, in any stretch of the matter, that my opinion is how it is, or that it even flows with hollywood. I don't know the "Q" ratings of any of these actors.....I simply know what I call seasoned star powered actors......I doubt I could name you one place that would tell me if I'm right or not....nor do I need to see a percentage to go with.....its just how I see it.:yay:

I guess i misread our IM convo then.

From a directorial perspective we do see it through Sam's eyes, he is the human and thus our way into the movie, that has nothing to do with me liking the movie or not, for the record I thought bar DH4 this summer was pretty mediocre overall and TF stood heavily on Shia and the action.

My point about Will was that regardless of who loves of him or hates him, it's irrelevant, the man is a star and a draw, opinion doesn't come into it.

I just don't understand the last part, i like Michael Biehn but i know he has no star power and he's not a BO draw or a guy with rave reviews, the gauge is BO and critical response as to whether the person is a player or not, whether we enjoy them is opinion of course but we don't get to decide if they are stars and BO draws, which Shia has shown.

I agree with a lot of the points made, Albafan said transformers were light on story and she is not really far off, but what was there was rather appealing and did this film have any downtime. When you have bernie mac doing a cameo like he did just made this movie run, it was little things like this. I must say though that the wedding priest did the same thing for me in FF2

I thought both movies had a fun heart at the centre.

Hunter nailed it though, the action in this movie was like yeah, off the wall. The action in ff2 always seemed to finish just as it might get good. There just was no tension at all to almost anything that they did. From the get go Torch survived his fall much too easily, it just did not seem very real, the threat they were facing.

I thought the initial chase between Torch and SS was well shot and the best of the sequences, as you say a lot was cut short before you really got into it and there wasn't the creativity in how the action was shot, I really don't think Tim has a knack for it. The Fight with Doom was particuarly poor IMO

And Galactus and his punisher robots or some such escalated battle involving the surfer and FF at the end that would have required pinpoint precision as supervised by Reed might have put a good cap to the end but everything seemed so abbreviated. Listening to the commentary I think time was a real problem on this movie. The FX comments seem to suggest somethings were not going well behind the scenes.

A finale was what was missing IMO, the SS surfing through the cloud thing just didn't cut it.

That is what I meant, the family part in FF was great and Johnny is clearly able and did give a performance on par with Shia in my opinion but I was on the edge of my seat watching transformers while with FF2 it was not the same.

As i said in my review, I enjoyed the 4 more in this one than the first, in particular Sue and Reed, perhpas i just have a Shia Bias:cwink:

Carp may have hit the nail on the head though in that 20 million dollars may have been the difference. Finally I think Weta is talking up the difficulty of SS too much, I dunno but maybe they pulled a snow job on fox. It seemed to be costing a lot more than it should I think.

While WETA may have pulled a fast one given SS didn't seem that difficult, action isn't about money, it's about vision and camera use, Ive seen movies from Asia with a fraction of some big US movies, with much better action.

Ok....cool.:yay: :word:

Wondering Kel, what was your favourite summer movie ? I honestly felt that while SM3, TF and FF2 were enjoyable they weren't as good as i'd hoped overall and Bourne made me queezy lol.

I think I've said in several threads, and it hasn't changed......

Definitely................ "Rescue Dawn"

I've honestly had my fill of "blockbusters".....and no movie touched my emotions like "Rescue Dawn".......I'm now looking forward to "August Rush" at Thanksgiving with the family.....that will be our after dinner family movie for Thanksgiving.

I bought the two-disc set out in the UK. The movie seems to breathe more watching it the second time around (and i'm sure the preview version I saw at the advance screening in London was shorter, missing a few scenes).

The extras offer great insight. Not many storyboards - but the commentaries are revealing indeed.

It was terrifying how much of the movie consisted of last-minute ideas that were quickly filmed, how much of it took shape during the editing, and how much the editor/writer sometimes complained about their own work ('This part doesn't come across well, and we were responsible for that'). Many, many scenes were late thoughts - the airport sequence, the news bulletin happening at the same time, Sue's wedding chat with Alicia, and so on and so on. I was astounded.

A friend at work who also has the DVD remarked that it showed a distinct lack of clear vision from the director if the film was put together in such a way. I'm not sure what to think.. maybe a lot of films are made like this?! Reshoots and recalling actors for late shots is not unheard of, but this movie seemed to have a large amount of this material.

One person who came across very well was Avi Arad, who spoke beautifully about the creative aspects of the movie.

The film still hurtles past too quickly, with little lingering from the camera, such that the action scenes seem rather hollow and unsatisfying when they happen. A shame, as there are some beautiful shots within the movie.

Got it from Netflix this week, I still like it :up:

Surfer looks perfect, and Doom's armor is kickin. :hyper:

Well I found the movie worked well at home, very re-watchable. I only saw it once in theatres even though I really wanted to see it more than that; I just had a very busy summer. I ended up getting 2 additions of the movie on DVD. I haven't seen anyone on these boards with either of them, one of them is an in-store exclusive steelcase, and the other is a region 3 release. As far as the movie I thought they improved Reed the most… Thing could have had a little bit more fighting/action. Surfer is sick and provided some of the best eye candy to date, the chase scene with him and Johnny is still the coolest scene in any movie this year… overall this ranks up there IMO as one of marvels best. I provided pics below of the 2 editions I got. Love them

This DVD is just so sweet...

c1f91qm7.jpg

c5bf1ou4.jpg

c7e91ix4.jpg

c49f1ky2.jpg

c52d1br4.jpg

steelcasevl2.jpg

I love this case :word:

It will probably end up being my favorite for the year. August Rush may push it out as #1.....but won't know till I see it.:yay:

I just found out it is getting a cinema release here in November, It looks very good and maybe only American Gangster will top it for me as Gone Baby gone and No Country for old men are not out here until next year. :csad:

If Zahn doesn't get a best supporting actor for his part in "Rescue Dawn" the Oscar's are ****ed up....

Lots of strong contenders this year.

I'm not saying he has to win, but he sure as hell deserves a nod. My god his portrayal was magnificent. He's so damn good and underrated.....

I'm not saying he has to win, but he sure as hell deserves a nod. My god his portrayal was magnificent. He's so damn good and underrated.....

Oh I'm not really saying who should and shouldn't get nommed as a lot of these movies i am yet to see, I just feel in a few categories some good actors/actresses/films are gonna miss out as it seems a good winter season.

Definitely some awesome movies out there.....

In The Wild was good as well, VERY DIFFERENT from the book.......but good movie nonetheless....

Definitely some awesome movies out there.....

In The Wild was good as well, VERY DIFFERENT from the book.......but good movie nonetheless....

Ah you'd read the book, i know Tzarinna had and she said she loved the film despite it deviating from the book, Emile Hirsch may get a nod as may Penn.

What you planning to see this winter ?

Ummmm....our Thanksgiving movie is August Rush......I think our Christmas movie is I Am Legend....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"