Favourite Scriptures - Religion Aside

redmarvel

Red, White and Buxom
Reaction score
Even if you are not religious and don't believe in God, you may have a favourite piece of scripture, something that you find "talks" to you. It doesn't have to be from the Bible, it could be from the Koran or some other religious work. Do you have one? If so, what is it?

Here's one I like from the Bible:

I John 4:7-8 said:
Beloved, let us love one another,
For love is of God
and everyone that loveth is born of God and knoweth God
He that loveth not, knoweth not God, for God is love

2 Kings 2:23-24
From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" He turned around, and looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.
Very powerful...

In all seriousness though, there are many great verses found in The Tibetan Book of the Dead (Bardo Thodol), a sacred text central to certain practices in Tibetan Buddhism
"First of all there will appear to you, swifter than lightning, the luminous splendor of the colorless light of Emptiness, and that will surround you on all sides. ...Try to submerge yourself in that light, giving up all belief in a separate self, all attachment to your illusory ego."
-Liberation through Hearing in the Intermediate State

"Always obey the golden rule. Those who have the gold makes the rules."

I forget the actual verse numbers.

"you will KNOW my name is the LORD . . . when I lay my vengeance upon thee" [/SameulLJackson] :D

Oh, there are just so many wonderful, inspirational passages in the Bible. It's hard to narrow it down, but here are a few of my top favorites.

"No one whose testicles have been crushed or whose penis has been cut off may be admitted into the community of the Lord."

- Deuteronomy 23:2

"23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria."
- 2 Kings 2:23-25

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

- Isaiah 45:7

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth."

- Exodus 20:4

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property."
- Exodus 21:20-21

"Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and the one who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery." - Luke 16:18

"Each day prepare your bread as you would barley cakes. While all the people are watching, bake it over a fire using dried human dung as fuel and then eat the bread. For this is what the LORD says: Israel will eat defiled bread in the Gentile lands, where I will banish them!" Then I said, "O Sovereign LORD, must I be defiled by using human dung? For I have never been defiled before. From the time I was a child until now I have never eaten any animal that died of sickness or that I found dead. And I have never eaten any of the animals that our laws forbid." "All right," the LORD said. "You may bake your bread with cow dung instead of human dung."
- Ezekiel 4:12-15

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."

- Leviticus 20:13

"A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death." - Leviticus 20:27

"If two Israelite men are fighting and the wife of one tries to rescue her husband by grabbing the testicles of the other man, her hand must be cut off without pity."
- Deuteronomy 25:11-12

"A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death."

- Leviticus 21:9

"And when he [Jesus] was alone, those present along with the Twelve questioned him about the parables. He answered them, "The mystery of the kingdom of God has been granted to you. But to those outside everything comes in parables, so that 'they may look and see but not perceive, and hear and listen but not understand, in order that they may not be converted and be forgiven.'"

- Mark 4:10-12

"If a man lies in sexual intercourse with a woman during her menstrual period, both of them shall be cut off from their people, because they have laid bare the flowing fountain of her blood. "
- Leviticus 20:18

"So the Sovereign LORD says: "I will pour out my terrible fury on this place. Its people, animals, trees, and crops will be consumed by the unquenchable fire of my anger."

- Jeremiah 7:20

1 Timothy 1:5 (English Standard Version)
The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

1 Peter 1:22 (New Century Version)
Now that your obedience to the truth has purified your souls, you can have true love for your Christian brothers and sisters. So love each other deeply with all your heart.

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth." - Revelation 6:8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"