Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Animated - Part 1

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Oct 13, 2012.

1. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I feel exactly the same :up:

2. rogue trooper

rogue trooper Well-Known Member

Mine are:

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns saga

2. Batman: Under The Red Hood

3. Batman: Year One

4. Batman: Gotham Knight

5. Batman: Mask of The Phantasm

6. Batman Versus Dracula

7. Batman: Mystery of The Batwoman

8. Batman: Sub-Zero

3. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Mask of the Phantasm ranks under Gotham Knight?! :eek:

To each their own, I guess...

4. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

Gotham Knight is ranked on lists!? :eek:

:p

5. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

My thoughts exactly...

6. rogue trooper

Heh! I thought such a reply would ensue.:whatever: LOL!

Well, frankly the reason I would put Gotham Knight above Mask of The Phantasm is because, since I watched the heck out of Mask of The Phantasm as a kid, it doesn't have the "freshness" that I feel Gotham Knight or the others have when I watch them. I really love Gotham Knight as "Batman: Black White"-type short stories.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  7. BlueLightning

BlueLightning Caballero de la Luz

The only stories I really like from Gotham Knight are "In Darkness Dwells" and "Working Through Pain".

8. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

''Deadshot'' is beautifully animated though... plus Kevin Conroy's voice over that design was bliss.

9. theMan-Bat

theMan-Bat Team Classic DC

While Batman: Year One is extremely faithful to the source material, your claim that Bruce Timm, Lauren Montgomery, Sam Liu, Christopher Drake and the cast put no real thought or passion into Batman: Year One is inaccurate.

While Batman: Year One is extremely faithful to the source material, you felt no real passion for it watching it as a Batman film likely because, as Bruce Timm said, "It's really not a big spectacular action adventure thing with lots of special effects and explosions. It's a very intimate story. Put in more gadgets and the flasher cars, and then suddenly it's not Batman: Year One anymore."
    http://www.mtv.com/videos/interview/670500/sdcc-2011-bruce-timm-on-batman-year-one.jhtml#id=1667825
    As Bruce Timm explained, "The Dark Knight Returns is so big and operatic and Batman: Year One is so personal and small scale. It's almost like if The Dark Knight Returns is Led Zeppelin then Batman: Year One is like Chet Baker or something. There's that big of a difference between them."
    http://voices.yahoo.com/frank-millers-batman-year-one-being-adapted-into-animated-7945562.html

While Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is also extremely faithful to the source material, you feel Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and Part 2 improved on the source material because you likely felt engaged and swept away by the storyline for the first time watching the Part 1 and Part 2 films, and you likely never really enjoyed reading the Dark Knight Returns storyline in the graphic novel due likely to negative preconceived notions of Frank Miller hating Superman, etc.

10. spidermanJLA!~

spidermanJLA!~ SUPERHERO

In Darkness Dwells and Deadshot are probably my favorite. But if I were to chose one that I would see a feature film of, it would be Deadshot. It just had a nice style to it.

11. theMan-Bat

"Working Through Pain" is my favorite short of Batman: Gotham Knight. "Deadshot" was my second favorite. I enjoy all of the shorts except for "Field Test" which depicts Bruce Wayne with the stereotypical cliched Japanese anime look of a young teenage boy character, which looks nothing like the adult Bruce Wayne/Batman that the plot intended.

12. hellblazer103

hellblazer103 Nasty Piece of Work

i hear rainn wilson saying " FALSE " and reading/saying your posts/responses everytime i read them :oldrazz:

13. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

Yep... and none of it changed my opinion one bit.

14. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

Batman: Year One is extremely faithful, I agree with theMan-Bat.

15. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

For anyone interested, Spill.com posted their review for Part 1 and Part 2 on Remote Viewing.

16. FCEEVIPER

FCEEVIPER Rubber bullets. Honest

:wow: :huh:

17. theMan-Bat

It's quite evident to me that Bruce Timm, etc. did put real thought and passion into the Batman: Year One film. Pfeiffer-Pfan not feeling passion for the film doesn't mean that the film makers didn't put thought and passion into it. Enjoying the Dark Knight Returns storyline for the first time watching the Part 1 and Part 2 films doesn't mean they are factually superior to the graphic novel, especially since it's extremely faithful to the novel, and lack of enjoyment of the graphic novel was apparently due to negative notions against the author. I was attempting to make an assessment of Pfeiffer-Pfan's views, and judging from some of Pfeiffer-Pfan's previous posts that I recalled.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=20994585&postcount=24

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/dc-animation-forum/285558-batman-dark-knight-returns-part-2-animated-feature-news-discussion-thread-spoilers-5.html#post3987066

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  18. theMan-Bat

The Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 2 panel at the Los Angeles premiere with producer Bruce Timm, Peter Weller (Batman/Bruce Wayne), Ariel Winter (Robin/Carrie Kelley), director Jay Oliva, voice director Andrea Romano, screenwriter Bob Goodman, moderated by Kevin Smith.
    [YT]ybHMWKgOyA8[/YT]
    [YT]Tye_Em6QBNI[/YT]
    [YT]Cxv15jMTras[/YT]
    [YT]xao60eEj8BY[/YT]
    http://smodcast.com/episodes/beverly-hills-bat-the-dark-knight-returns-pt-2-panel-at-the-paley-center/

Here's Kevin Smith's podcast commentary on Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 2.
    http://smodcast.com/episodes/dark-knight-returns-pt-2-commentary-track-with-marc-bernardin/

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  19. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

Man I need this soundtrack so bad. I just rewatched it and once again I'm wondering when the soundtrack will come out.

20. theMan-Bat

From twitter:

29 Jan Christopher Drake ‏@DrakeFilmscore
    GOOD NEWS: I can officially tell you @watertowermusic will be releasing the Original Soundtrack for TDKR pt1&2

BAD NEWS: the TDKR OST won't be released today. @watertowermusic is working on mastering, & fitting it in the prod schedule.

I'm really humbled by all the requests for the OST. I PROMISE it's coming. But the nature of production means its gonna be a bit late.

https://twitter.com/DrakeFilmscore

21. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

I'm getting so anxious about the score. :o

22. rogue trooper

Yes, sir/mam. You read correctly. Hope you don't brood on this the whole night.:bdh:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  23. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I just realised I forgot Batmsn vs Dracula on my list I'll edit it later.

On TDKR I've lent a friend of mine the book and he's not sure what he thinks so far, he was saying to me how arrogrant Superman comes across with his shirt open when he's with Bruce tending to the horse. Its not something I gave much thought to before but my brother said the same thing after he watched Part 2 (he has no interest in the book) and maybe that's what bugged me most about Millers Superman he really does come across as arrogant.

24. theMan-Bat

Frank Miller was paying homage to classic Superman iconography with the open white shirt (a iconic Superman image is Clark Kent opening his white shirt, letting the Superman show through) and Superman with the eagle, and Clark was showing the contrast between the obviously aged looking Bruce and the more powerful and youthful looking physic of Clark, as Clark was trying to persuade Bruce to stop his vigilantism. "You're not a young man anymore, Bruce."

25. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

That doesn't mean he doesn't come across arrogant though. I'm not bothered that he seems arrogant as he's always been a man full of confidence anyway. I actually have a better appreciation for Superman in this story than I used too and part of that was how much better he was portrayed in the movie. Like I said though not saying the arrogance is a negative.