Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Animated - Part 1

He would have been better easily. I did not like Emerson at all. He would have been a bad Batman though doesn't have a deep enough voice for animated Batman

I loved Emerson's Joker, tbh, but I still would have been interested in hearing Keaton's take.

Not a fan of the original series all that much and I only bought this on Blu ray out of pure curiosity. That being said, Emerson was a great choice, especially the way he chose to perform his part. The Miller Joker in TDKReturns is more than a little, shall we say, sexually ambiguous? Emerson's line readings were spot on. This was a Joker who had some messed up feelings regarding the Batman. His "Darling" was perfect. (Before I get called a homophobe or the like I am in no way suggesting that homosexual people are "messed up" or that somehow The Joker having some psycho sexual fixation on Batman means that homosexual thoughts or feelings are wrong. This is the Joker we're talking about. Everything about him is messed up.)

FYI, this is currently on early-release sale at best buy, picked mine up today.

Watertower Records said Amazon is making a CDR on demand for the physical release.

I got the Deluxe Edition the other day, and I thought this was a better, perfect release of the animated adaptation than the previous two parts. The seamless combination of Parts 1 & 2 worked out well than I thought, and that is coming from someone who thought DKR HAD to be two parts because books 1-2 were one story, and books 3-4 were another. This combo, full version makes it feel like a full epic story akin to films we know with long running times. How they did this worked out well for me, with going to black after Joker's smile from part 1, and opening with the news debate on Batman that begins part 2 with the words "Three Months Later" on the screen. They cut out only one thing and that's the Sons of Batman news footage that opened part 2 before the debate. But that's fine. If you've seen Parts 1 and 2, would you pass up getting a full length Dark Knight Returns animated feature that is 2 1/2 hours? Neither would I.

The commentary was informative and I wanted to listen to it again when I popped that disc again. The best feature from the Deluxe Edition was the Frank Miller documentary, and I think you guys would agree. At an hour and 20 minutes; this goes from Miller, DC, and Batman from the late '70s, into how they were glued together to create DKR from the influences, the story, characters, down to how the colors were chosen and mixed together. They do reference DKR's influence on Batman post-DKR, like Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum to Scott Synder's current run on Batman, to Burton's Batman to BTAS (which Timm looks at the camera and says "Thanks Frank!" lol) but they don't talk about Miller's Batman post-DKR; which is expected, because that isn't this documentary nor does this documentary feel incomplete after that info. The other features are the same as the other two parts, which isn't a bad thing to have a completed release, especially me who didn't buy either Part 1 nor 2 so this is great.

Also, the cards that came with it are really nice. The favorite is this one which should've been the cover to the Deluxe Edition:
DKRCard01_zps8d1e3c21.jpg

This for me just seems to be a call back to this promo image from the comic:
10th-Ann-Poster-1.jpg

Deluxe Edition officially out today. :up:

But I can't buy the OST off amazon or something :(

Blehh i hated Emerson and TOLERATED Weller. They really should've brought back Ironside as Batman. Waaaaaaaaayyyy better TDKR Batman

I love both of them. I love how Weller sounds like an older and edgier version of Adam West. And Emerson is really creepy and disturbing, just like TDKR Joker should be portrayed. His take was unique and fit the tone of the movie.

Hoping the score gets a CD release, because I can't find the Amazon CD-R.

Listening to the whole score, just incredible stuff. :up:

I would love it if they get Christopher Drake to do the score for the Batman/Superman movie.

I would rather Drake than Zimmer. Not that his MOS score is bad, but I want someone else to take a crack at Batman.

OST not yet in Spotify. :(

For the hell of it, let me share this with you guys. After the movies, and before the OST release, I did my own take of the DKR theme by combining the end themes from Parts 1 and 2 in a seamless way that many thought were better than others on yt. Check it out:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"