Full January Solicitations

Darthphere said:
SQUADRON SUPREME: HYPERION VS. NIGHTHAWK #1 (of 5)
Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM
Pencils and Cover by PAUL GULACY
It had to happen: The ultimate throw-down between the two stars of the smash hits "Supreme Power" and "Squadron Supreme:" Hyperion and Nighthawk.
But what could draw these two heroes into the biggest of all smackdowns? Nothing less than genocide. In this ripped from the headlines story, Marc Guggenheim (Wolverine, Blade) and comic book legend Paul Gulacy (Master of Kung Fu) explore the real-world tragedy that is going on right now in Darfur, Africa. The most thought-provoking and action-packed book you'll read all year!
32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$2.99

:whatever:
Jesus, Paul Gulacy's a comic book legend? Does that mean, like, legendarily bad? Because his Alan Scott arc in JSA Classified sucked in ways I can't adequately describe.

Anyway, I'm looking through the solicitations now, so I'll make comments as I go...

Annihilation #6 sounds ****ing amazing. Nova/Annihilus battle, Quasar's return, and Galactus wreaking some unholy vengeance. How could that not rule?

I'm looking forward to Agents of Atlas #6 in particular because, of all the '50s "Avengers," I know the least about M-11. Parker's been doing a great job of weaving the characters' origins into the plot of each issue so far, and #6 looks to be M-11's issue.

Earth's Mightiest is probably going to be bittersweet for me. On the one hand, it's cool that Casey, who's great, is exploring early milestones in Avengers history again. On the other hand, I'm not particularly enthused about having to reread the period where Yellowjackass first showed up and basically robbed Pym of any future story potential beyond being "the wife-beater" until Byrne's Avengers West Coast run. :(

I don't buy the Handbooks since I figure the information'll all show up online eventually, but it's nice to see Quasar and Graviton on the cover of this one.

I can't wait for Avengers Next to start. DeFalco's perfect, proven sensibility for making the classic seem modern plus Ron Lim's art, which I haven't seen in years, plus the MC2 Avengers, whom I've always loved, plus Thunderstrike II's return and the daughter of Loki! Kick. Ass.

Holy ****, Ghost Rider Finale sounds awesome. I'm actually kind of glad it wasn't released as GR #94 back in the '90s because I didn't read Ghost Rider back then.

I know Planet Hulk is supposed to be God's gift to the Hulk or whatever, but I can't help snickering every time I see the Hulk dressed like Spartacus. It's kind of sad that the only "badass costume upgrade" they could think of for him was to go from ripped purple pants to a leather skirt.

Iron Fist with guns? Bwuh? :confused:

Huh. This is odd. I'm actually feeling the urge to buy this Ms. Marvel Special. I've never liked Ms. Marvel, but the concept sounds interesting and Giuseppe Camuncoli kicked boatloads of ass on Captain Atom: Armageddon... I feel dirty just for considering it, but I think I'm gonna get this.

NA: Illuminati seems lame. The Gems can't be reunited to form the Infinity Gauntlet anyway, and every appearance of every Gem except the Soul Gem has shown that the Gems aren't really all they're cracked up to be individually, so what's the big deal? Plus, what's up with the cover? Is Reed supposed to be the new Thanos or something? He does seem to be acting the part lately.

I know I'm late to the party, but still--hurray for the end of Nextwave! I can't wait to not see it on shelves anymore. Ding dong, mother****ers, the witch is dead. :D

Last Runaways for Vaughan and Alphona. It's so sad. :(

Despite the fact that the art looks super-bad and it involves reality shows, I'm considering picking up the Wonder Man mini-series because it's been so long since I saw a good Wonder Man/Beast team-up. As with the Ms. Marvel Special, I feel dirty again.

I guess Exiles #89'll be my last issue. Kudos to Bedard for doing such a great job at taking the Exiles in new directions while retaining the feel Winick established in their prime. I feel bad for Pelletier, who'll have to waste his talents on crappy stories now.

Juggernaut's getting de-*****fied? Sweet. I was going to be reading New Excalibur anyway, since the Black Knight's joining up, but this is icing on the cake. The fact that Frank Tieri's leaving after this arc is like icing on the icing, too.

Hahaha, the first issue of Loeb's run is marketed with the "possibly last battle" between Sabretooth and Wolverine. Sure. I guess if that sets the tone for the rest of his run, it'll be rife with lies and marketing gimmicks. I often wonder if I should get back into more X-Men comics, but then issues like this come along and reaffirm all my reasons for staying away.

Oh good, as if Loeb's making Wolverine even worse weren't enough, X-23's back. I'm surprised whoever wrote the solicitation didn't use "fan-favorite" somewhere. It seems like they always have to include that, as if to convince themselves that someone, somewhere actually likes this *****e.

X-Factor looks intriguing. Is it me, or does this whole Jamie Madrox: Agent of SHIELD/HYDRA thing seem like David's send-up of Millar's ******ed Wolverine run? I hope I'm right and it's not just coincidence. If anyone can make a hilarious parody of that run, it's PAD.

My God, Ramos actually drew a cover featuring people who are generally shaped like actual people? I wonder if he's changing his style and reigning his exaggerations in a bit. I hope so. He's got a lot of talent and I've always thought it was wasted with that ugly-ass style he chose.

Hey, check out that X-Men Annual cover. Someone remembered that Northstar has a sister.

**** me, I've gotta at least flip through X-Men: First Class now and see whether it's actually in continuity. Being totally gay for characters kind of sucks sometimes. :(

Wow, apparently Phoenix: Warsong turns into The Matrix somewhere along the way.

I wonder if anyone at Marvel will remember that Hellstorm's name is actually Daimon Hellstrom, and Hellstorm was just his "superhero" name. Not that it really makes much of a difference either way. The mini sounds pretty good, and I hope it garners enough interest in Marvel's horror/mystical side to allow some exposure for other characters from that sub-genre, besides the obvious, popular ones like Dr. Strange and Ghost Rider. That cover makes it look like Hellstorm's pissing on a demon, though...

Huh, I didn't know Criminal would be having all those extras in each issue. That should be pretty cool, especially since it's still $2.99.

So, a lot of solicitations were missing. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that Marvel's now not even sure when CW will be done, so they can't reveal the solicitations for its tie-ins yet. But, as far as I know, Uncanny X-Men doesn't tie into CW, yet it was still missing. Weird.

Oh, well i think it looks interesting. I've always been a fan of Dr. Strange and Namor so it's pretty cool to see. Never seen much with this team, so i guess it's something to look forward to.

Darthphere said:
What do you mean again? When did he stop?

Though im with Harlekin, the concept is intriguing.

Yeah I'll agree on that last point.

However I think this is gonna be another case of Bendis writing the Illuminati like *****ebags who think they are better than the rest of the heros in the MU.

Some good stuff there, but I think I'm most excited about the "Spiderman: Death of the Stacy's" premiere hardcover.

Darthphere said:
Maybe this will teach marvel to stop giving Ellis books that dont adhere to decades of continuity and butcher classic concepts and characters....oh wait.

Dude, that was the point. It was a comedy book. I don't think anything that happened in there is in continuity anyway so you have nothing to worry about.

She-Hulk's a comedy book where the characterizations actually make sense. I don't know why everyone suddenly seems to think comedy = anything goes. :o
Colossal Spoons said:
danny with a Liefield extended torso is odd too :(
The torso is pretty long there.

As for the guns, maybe it's not Danny. It mentions the Iron Fist legacy. Suppose Danny finds out there was some other champion of K'un L'un from, say, World War II who was a soldier?
Darthphere said:
Corp, Ms. Marvel ownz your soul.
Ugh, I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. :(

KingOfDreams said:
Dude, that was the point. It was a comedy book. I don't think anything that happened in there is in continuity anyway so you have nothing to worry about.

Actually I do. :whatever:

TheCorpulent1 said:
As for the guns, maybe it's not Danny. It mentions the Iron Fist legacy. Suppose Danny finds out there was some other champion of K'un L'un from, say, World War II who was a soldier?

Yes, but after that it says:

The legacy of the Iron Fist becomes clear, as he leaps to the aid of a man he has long-thought was dead... and who has come seeking Danny's help with an army on his trail.

I'm pretty sure it still is Danny.

Or it could be the long-thought-dead man. He does have "an army on his trail," and guns are useful against armies. Plus, if he were the WWII Iron Fist, he'd probably be long dead.

Im more offended by the fact that theyre bringing Darfur into the comics than Gulacy being called a legend.

I know Guggenheim wrote for Law and Order where its cool and trendy to bring in real life events into the show, but this aint to Law and Order and there aint no Brisco.

I'm probably looking forward to Silent War the most. I'm interested in Civil War: The Return as well. The Iron Man mini looks cool too. I didn't like The Illuminati special but this new mini seems like it's going to be better. She-Hulk looks good too...and I can't forget about Runaways. I like Whedon but I really don't want Vaughan and Alphona to leave.

What exactly is the problem with bringing real world events into the comics? I would have liked to have seen something about Katrina. But it's a fine line to walk I have to say. The risk of exploitation is high.

I dont know, Darfur being involved in a Hperion vs Nighthawk mini doesnt seem odd to you, at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"