Marvel Comics Solicitations For January 2008

In my memory, it seems like it's been revisited numerous times...maybe not to the extent it will be in this series; but, in Spidey's own magazine, he's revisited that time in his life quite a bit. I just don't need Spidey early years anymore. Just off the top of my head, Untold Tales of Spider-Man, Chapter One, and Amazing Fantasy (remember, they did some fill in issues a few years back) have tried to fill in blanks. There have been various retellings of the origin, whether it's in Spidey's regular books, like with Amazing Spider-Man 200, or with new versions, like Marvel Age and Marvel Adventures. Also, reprints of Amazing Fantasy is probably more than any other comic I own. I would bet I have over 5 copies of reprints of that issue.

Right. But none of those books really explored Peter's time as a media sensation, which is what this series says it's going to do. :yay:

Right. But none of those books really explored Peter's time as a media sensation, which is what this series says it's going to do. :yay:

The only problem I have with the series is that it's 5 issues that plays out over, what? Two days, max?

The only problem I have with the series is that it's 5 issues that plays out over, what? Two days, max?

It's never really been specified exactly how much time elapsed between Peter getting his powers, and Uncle Ben's murder...

One thing we DO know, however, is that on page #9 of the origin story from AF #15 says "In the days that follow, the Spider-Man becomes the sensation of the nation", and we see several headlines off to the left, so i think it was more than just two days or so...at least a couple weeks, i would think.

It's never really been specified exactly how much time elapsed between Peter getting his powers, and Uncle Ben's murder...

One thing we DO know, however, is that on page #9 of the origin story from AF #15 says "In the days that follow, the Spider-Man becomes the sensation of the nation", and we see several headlines off to the left, so i think it was more than just two days or so...at least a couple weeks, i would think.

Hmm...that's a little better. Still, it seems very unnecessary. I'll probably break down after going without a Spider-book that long and pick it up, anyway. It's got Tony Harris. That'll be my excuse.

Just noticed this topic now, so forgive me if I comment on things that have been debated to death by now.

- I actually am looking forward to Mike Carey's next arc on UFF. It is selling the poorest of the Ultimate titles now but IMO is the best in quality, which may not be saying much at this point. Keeping with the Ultimate theme, that "Amazing Friends" arc looks mighty tempting from USM, considering as a wee lad, that show got me onto Spider-Man and thus comics. But it would be foolish to hop back onto that book after all but knowing it will disappoint me in the end and having devoted a lot of cash to find that out. In Ultimate X-Men, Larroca provides the series' first A or B List buzz artist in a while, but I am unsure on Kirkman's run of late with it. He'll have been aboard longer than Vaughan and his run is easily much, much worse. I am not too interested in Ultimate Human (WTF!?) and Ultimates 3 is a 50/50. It may depend on how heavy it's debut week is and fan buzz.

- I usually get every handbook, but, eh, not seeling Ultimate Secrets so far.

- ANNIHILATION CONQUEST confirms that Nova, the BMOC of the last event, may be sitting it out while Starlord, Ronan, Quasar & Moondragon do the heavy lifting. Which may not be a bad thing. I wonder who this "vengeful villain" is?

- ASM will be in 3 times a month mode, circa the merging of all his titles into it. I will most likely just read the Slott issues.

- AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #9 looks very awesome. True, it is a shame Taskmaster is going back to his severely outdated original costume (i.e. his UDON redesign never stuck past AGENT X), but Caselli makes it look spooky at least. As for the Skrull character, it could be Crusader from MTU, as someone already mentioned, rather than Xavin from RUNAWAYS, which seems unlikely. I'm hoping that Slott tries to restore this villain to his former glory, because these days he usually just appears to get spanked, like in MOON KNIGHT or CABLE & DEADPOOL. I can understand why the original design comes back, since George Perez designed it, but Taskmaster as a character and as a threat has to return. Some writer needs to realize that just because he cares more about cash and escaping authorities more than personal grudges doesn't mean he can't be dangerous. In a way that should make him more dangerous. He doesn't "monologue" or have any grand scheme or world shattering plot to complicate things. He just has his bank account and his skills.

- That solict for CAPTAIN AMERICA #34 is ridiculous because it all but implies that Marvel had NO idea they would be releasing the images for it a week prior to Newsarama's solict preview. But that is classic Marvel. That said, I stand by the assertation that Epting does a better job with that costume than Ross, and the story likely will be great. Even if it isn't up to snuff with the first 31 or so issues of CA, I am certain Brubaker at his worst on that franchise is better than many writers at their best. It is his baby. Save for DEADLY GENESIS.

- CAPTAIN MARVEL is so tempting, considering what little I have read from Brian Reed has always been solid. I just am against the whole idea of Mar-Vell being back from time. And of course, being against ideas as a whole while avoiding giving the comic a shot has kept me from a lot of good books. There is a lesson there, but I may not learn it.

- IMMORTAL IRON FIST #13 looks great as always. I just wonder...will Brubaker, ever, in any title, ever end a storyline? I don't mind often because his storylines are good, but seriously, nothing ends. Ever. It can lead to burnout. But for the moment I am just enjoying the ride, and an immortal weapon battle royale sounds intense.

- I am a little iffy about the next McDuffie FF story. I've enjoyed his run so far, but it has been far from flawless.

- GHOST RIDER #19 is offering some grand conclusion, and unless it offers a very interesting angle for further storylines, I may leave it. It isn't a bad book but I am starting to become disinterested. Kind of like ULTIMATE X-MEN to me right now. I could drop both and likely not notice them at all.

- Despite Gage's talent, HOM: AVENGERS seems like the most pointless thing ever.

- HULK apparently is getting a relaunch with a new #1, while at the same time WWH is expected to fuel some "aftersmash" titles. So why doesn't Marvel have faith that Aftersmash would keep his solo afloat without yet another #1 issue? The Damage Control one seems interesting, as McDuffie is essentially "coming home again". As for the Warbond one, it has Pak & Kirk on it so it likely will be readable (and confirms 4 of them survive WWH, one of them being Korg).

- MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS will have an uphill battle, considering #1 debuted with 38k sales and by this 5th issue that tally could be down at least 10-25% (or more).

- MOON KNIGHT #14 has a new co-writer hitting the book which may help it avoid decompression. The second arc was worse than the first, though, so the next issue or so in-between may make or break it for me.

- Marvel expects to get 3 issues of MIGHTY AVENGERS finished within 4 months, when the title is already 2 months behind. Good luck, guys. Bagley is reliable but who about Cho wrapping up?

- Coming off the Brubaker CA Omnibus, I can say with fair confidence that YOUNG AVENGERS PRESENTS #1 with him on Patriot will be kick ass. He's a goldmine for the Cap legacy and anything connected to it. That said, I do wish Marvel wouldn't tease YA rans with semi-annual mini's and just assign them a regular creative team for an ongoing, and for once in their god damned existance stop being such suckers for Hollywood prima donna lazy-masters like Heinberg. I mean, Jeph Loeb works on HEROES and STILL has time for nearly a half dozen comics a month. Have some balls, Marvel, and faith in a franchise. Maybe this mini will be a testing ground for the next regular YA writer and a way to give Cheung time to be free for some issues. But that would mean planning ahead coherantly, and Marvel is an idiot savant in that regard. Sometimes they're brilliant, and other times they are so gaullingly inept and stupid that you just want to slap them silly.

- NEW WARRIORS #8 is the Malin run and hopefully the series can maintain it's luster while not overdosing on mysteries and their X-Gimmick. Still, Grevioux has created the closest thing to a YOUNG AVENGERS (a very entertaining young superhero book coming off some horribly terrible previews) that 2007 had.

- NOVA is sitting out AC for the most part yet #10 looks hotter than ever. It also is the bests selling of the ANNIHILATION titles so hopefully this means the Human Rocket will survive past #12, a feat he hasn't done in, what, 30 years?

- I am hoping that by THE ORDER #7, is it still selling in the Top 100. :( This is a great book with cool new characters. Give it a chance, people!

- P:WJ #15; Punisher vs. Kraven. Sounds fun. I also noticed how the Jigsaw in this title, and the one in New Avengers, are in no way like each other.

- I will be giving THE TWELVE a chance, and Kaare Andrews once again shows he is far better on covers than interiors. Still, some of those heroes really need some pants.

- X-MEN: FIRST CLASS #8 looks like a Man-Thing guest shot. The book is guilty pleasure fun but aside for serving as a vague MARVEL ADVENTURES X-MEN I see little point for this as an ongoing since the sales dive every month. Why this and not THE LONERS or AGENTS OF ATLAS, cruel comic gods?

- Exiles is being cancelled and relaunched as...New Exiles. Ugh, sometimes Joe Q's Marvel is literally satire-proof. You can't make this stuff up sometimes.

Really like the Exiles: Days of Then and Now cover....except why is Sabretooth so huge?

- HULK apparently is getting a relaunch with a new #1, while at the same time WWH is expected to fuel some "aftersmash" titles. So why doesn't Marvel have faith that Aftersmash would keep his solo afloat without yet another #1 issue?
Actually, it's a second Hulk title; TIH is continuing with its current numbering, written by Pak.
That said, I do wish Marvel wouldn't tease YA rans with semi-annual mini's and just assign them a regular creative team for an ongoing, and for once in their god damned existance stop being such suckers for Hollywood prima donna lazy-masters like Heinberg. I mean, Jeph Loeb works on HEROES and STILL has time for nearly a half dozen comics a month. Have some balls, Marvel, and faith in a franchise. Maybe this mini will be a testing ground for the next regular YA writer and a way to give Cheung time to be free for some issues. But that would mean planning ahead coherantly, and Marvel is an idiot savant in that regard. Sometimes they're brilliant, and other times they are so gaullingly inept and stupid that you just want to slap them silly.
Heinberg said in a WordBalloon interview a week or so ago that he's told Marvel he won't be back unless there's a strike, and that they seem to be moving on (using this series as sort of a proving ground; at least, that was Heinberg's impression).

WHAT NO THOR!!!!???? damn IT!!! :mad:

I just noticed that too. Of course, maybe the solict isn't ready yet. That happens sometimes.

Actually, it's a second Hulk title; TIH is continuing with its current numbering, written by Pak.

Heinberg said in a WordBalloon interview a week or so ago that he's told Marvel he won't be back unless there's a strike, and that they seem to be moving on (using this series as sort of a proving ground; at least, that was Heinberg's impression).

Okay, so long as TIH is continuing. Hulk has never been able to support two ongoings before, though (not counting Marvel Adventures), I wonder if this time will be the charm.

It is nice that Heinberg admitted that. I still think Marvel has drug their heels with YA and it is a wonder the audience still cares at all. The YA/RUNAWAYS mini should have proven a worthy testing ground since it sold just as well as Heinberg's issues, and was from a completely different (and hardly A-List at the time) creative team. The RUNAWAYS audience couldn't have boosted it THAT much. I am looking forward to the mini, I just am saying Marvel has sat on the ongoing for too long for my liking.

Granted, THOR at least showed that patience can be rewarded in sales, so we'll see.

- P:WJ #15; Punisher vs. Kraven. Sounds fun. I also noticed how the Jigsaw in this title, and the one in New Avengers, are in no way like each other.

Cory Walker was supposed to draw the entire Kraven storyline. That's disappointing that he couldn't even keep a monthly schedule for three ****ing months WITH lead time. Jesus Christ.

The good news at least, is that the artist for this issue is Scott Wegener, who's excellent book, Atomic Robo, just debuted last month. Hopefully this exposure can translate into exposure for that title.

Also, when was Jigsaw in PWJ?

Turner has just put out one of the worst covers I've seen this year.

ff553.jpg

Ugh. Is Sue anorexic and I missed the memo?

Apparently, yes, you missed the memo. She's been anorexic for the past 6 months, according to Turner's covers.

Every woman is anorexic according to Turner's covers. Some men may very well be, too.

Regarding Dread's mention of the "vengeful villain" of Annihilation: Conquest: Kang's a villain who's best known for fighting the Avengers. Huh? Am I right?

God, I hope Kang's behind it all. He needs some new badassery under his belt.

Cory Walker was supposed to draw the entire Kraven storyline. That's disappointing that he couldn't even keep a monthly schedule for three ****ing months WITH lead time. Jesus Christ.

The good news at least, is that the artist for this issue is Scott Wegener, who's excellent book, Atomic Robo, just debuted last month. Hopefully this exposure can translate into exposure for that title.

Also, when was Jigsaw in PWJ?

I believe in the issue before #12, in the epilogue. Jigsaw and his new shrink girlfriend are training that fake cop from the Bushwacker issue. In that shot, he seemed like the Jigsaw who was so crazy as to believe that he had killed Castle's family or wanted to become him or whatnot. In NEW AVENGERS, he's just a mobster thug.

Apparently, yes, you missed the memo. She's been anorexic for the past 6 months, according to Turner's covers.

When has Turner EVER done a good cover?

Those FF costumes from THE CHOSEN are terrible. They remind me of the pre-HEROES REBORN stuff.

Every woman is anorexic according to Turner's covers. Some men may very well be, too.

Regarding Dread's mention of the "vengeful villain" of Annihilation: Conquest: Kang's a villain who's best known for fighting the Avengers. Huh? Am I right?

God, I hope Kang's behind it all. He needs some new badassery under his belt.

photojones2 has been claiming it is Kang for months now. I wouldn't mind it, even if there is zero connection between the Phalanx and Kang.

I believe in the issue before #12, in the epilogue. Jigsaw and his new shrink girlfriend are training that fake cop from the Bushwacker issue. In that shot, he seemed like the Jigsaw who was so crazy as to believe that he had killed Castle's family or wanted to become him or whatnot. In NEW AVENGERS, he's just a mobster thug.

Oh, that's right. Hmm...I wonder where that story will go what with Kraven taking center stage for the next few issues.

Also, a few of Turner's CW covers were pretty good.

Oh, that's right. Hmm...I wonder where that story will go what with Kraven taking center stage for the next few issues.

Also, a few of Turner's CW covers were pretty good.

Maybe Jigsaw will be a subplot or something.

Or maybe Jigsaw became off limits to him for a while so the continuity with NEW AVENGERS isn't messed up.

Snicker...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAA! Gotcha! Like Marvel cares about that regarding minor villains. Seriously, we'll have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"