Sequels "Gambit" starring Channing Tatum? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tatum isn't really a big draw for action movies.

White House Down and Jupiter Ascending flopped.

Exactly. The Rock is the only action star you can guarantee 150 return on your investment. Jupiter flopping doesn't help Tatum.

Jupiter Ascending flopping had nothing to do with Tatum though. That movie was going to 100% flop no matter who was in it.

I'm saying that I think this film is only happening because A-list Tatum wanted it to and they are not going to replace him with anything less than another A-lister. I don't see very many A-listers willing to take this film on.

I don't think there are any A-listers in this age range. Heck. Tatum is barely one.

Why do I have a feeling that he's not out... and that he may have just had a budget dispute given that he was also producer of the film. If he is out, it's because he is also a producer, not because of his status as an actor. I doubt it, though. Didn't he sign the contract? We're what, a month and a half away from principal photography? He had to have signed a contract.

Jupiter Ascending flopping had nothing to do with Tatum though. That movie was going to 100% flop no matter who was in it.

It means his fan base shoes up for his comedies and Magic Mike. Beyond that, he hasn't shown himself as consistent. Which isn't a slam against him, but it says Gambit shouldn't have a high budget.

I'm really looking forward to this because it would have been the first X-men movie to not be centered around Magneto Xavier or Wolverine and I'm not a huge fan of Tatum either but he won me over hearing him talk about his love of Gambit so I'm hoping this gets resolved.

Gambit is about a theif from New Orleans. Why would it need a $150 million dollar budget?

I hope he drops out.
1. He doesn't seem right for the role. Wolverine made Hugh Jackman not the other way around. I don't get why these studios think all it takes is some name. Cast the role right and establish the character correctly, things will fall into place most often then not.

2. 150m is too high for Gambit movie. Who the heck knows Gambit other then comic fanatics and his few hardcore fans. Storm, Jean, Cyclops, Rogue, etc have more fan base. I'm almost certain this is about contract negotiation. Maybe Fox isn't happy with the 150 budge because CT as star and producer is demanding a lot. Fox is better off looking for unknown to modern known actor and do this movie on lower budget.

3. I personally never cared for the X-Men on their own. They work as a group so if this movie doesn't happen, that is alright with me.

I hope he drops out.
1. He doesn't seem right for the role. Wolverine made Hugh Jackman not the other way around. I don't get why these studios think all it takes is some name. Cast the role right and establish the character correctly, things will fall into place most often then not.

2. 150m is too high for Gambit movie. Who the heck knows Gambit other then comic fanatics and his few hardcore fans. Storm, Jean, Cyclops, Rogue, etc have more fan base. I'm almost certain this is about contract negotiation. Maybe Fox isn't happy with the 150 budge because CT as star and producer is demanding a lot. Fox is better off looking for unknown to modern known actor and do this movie on lower budget.

3. I personally never cared for the X-Men on their own. They work as a group so if this movie doesn't happen, that is alright with me.
No, Jackman's performance made Wolverine on the big screen. This is no different then RDJ as Iron Man.

No, Jackman's performance made Wolverine on the big screen. This is no different then RDJ as Iron Man.

That is because they found the right actor for the character. No one knew who the heck HJ was before he was cast as Wolverine. I'm talking about the idea that we need huge star for the movie. Fox doesn't really need CT. They can and should find someone more fitting for the role.

maybe he's afraid fox will lose the franchise. there's zero positivity around FF and apocalypse is getting a mixed reception from fans. the movie might not happen or may even be dropped mid-deal like Andrew Garfield in Spiderman.

I think Singer could do a good job introducing the character in an X5 though.

If Tatum has dropped out I will live a deluded life. I'll pretend the movie is on track, filming in October, and coming out in 2016. If anyone tells me anything different I'll fight them. It's easier this way.

Last edited:
Even if he is negotiating for more money, kind of makes me wonder about quality of the script.

That is because they found the right actor for the character. No one knew who the heck HJ was before he was cast as Wolverine. I'm talking about the idea that we need huge star for the movie. Fox doesn't really need CT. They can and should find someone more fitting for the role.
To launch a solo franchise? You need a star or a legit built in following.

Devin Faraci, the exact same person who said that Tatum could be bargaining for more money, said that the script was great. Then again, Faraci has never been big on X-Men films so...

I call bs on this, seems way too quick for things to have gone south in like...three weeks. This project only exists because Channing was all in and LSD backed him up (even though we all questioned it). But if it doesn't work out...eh. I think The Wrap might've jumped the gun on this though. Seems kinda real sketch. Though if Tatum is hardballing it and wants more money when we have Ryan Reynolds and Tim Miller making something as awesome looking as Deadpool with 49 mill...man.

Last edited:
The theories are my favorite part of this kind of news.

Devin Faraci, the exact same person who said that Tatum could be bargaining for more money, said that the script was great. Then again, Faraci has never been big on X-Men films so...

I call bs on this, seems way too quick for things to have gone south in like...three weeks. This project only exists because Channing was all in and LSD backed him up (even though we all questioned it). But if it doesn't work out...eh. I think The Wrap might've jumped the gun on this though. Seems kinda real sketch. Though if Tatum is hardballing it and wants more money when we have Ryan Reynolds and Tim Miller making something as awesome looking as Deadpool with 49 mill...man.

I'm not sure how being backed up by drugs is a point in his favour. :o Then again, maybe that's why they need such a high budget...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"