Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I be excited that GRRM can firmly state that each of the last two books will be 1500 pages each?

Is that in real or manuscript pages?

I'm not sure. Prior to this latest statement about the show's divergence, he mentioned the last two would be about as thick as ASOS. Since he's giving specific counts, I started to get a bit hopeful (man, I'm glad I wasn't in the fandom back when ASOS came out :lol:). I wouldn't mind if they had the same pacing as ASOS.

Probably manuscript pages then. Which isn't really good news to me. His manuscript totals go up every time he mentions them. And not in the how pages are actually done, but overall length. :(

Given his method of writing out one character's set of chapters, then going back and writing another's an so on, and then finally putting them all together and editing, I'm surprised the first three came out as quickly as they did.

He mentioned the manuscript pages as about 1800 pages apiece in a previous statement, so this seems something of an improvement.

Yep, that could mean his editor has had at least one go at the manuscript. Which brings me to my next thought...holy ****ing ****, George. If his editor was able to find 300 pages of manuscript that were unnecessary then he really really needs to tighten up his story telling. That's just...well it can't be good when that much can be cut without damaging the plot and mechanics of the book.

Yeesh, if he churned out books faster with as much pages he'd be rivaling Stephen King.

He usually writes a hundred pages for each POV storyline (or more) so it could also be that he's knocked off three characters much earlier than he intended. I'm going to go out on a limb and say one may have been Aeron, as he hyped that storyline as being world building and lovecraftian back in '11 and then dropped all mention of it thereafter. The World Book contains traces of it, of the civilisation that predates the Valyrian empire and supposedly built Asshai, whom supposedly landed on the Iron Islands and created the Seastone Chair. Aeron's exploration of that could have been cut out to "And then Euron killed him."

"And his destiny was to explore far way lands, depose the evil that had taken them over and become a legend among all men... But then he got shivved and kicked into the ocean."

Barristan is my bet, which would align with the rumors of him taking the Strong Belwas place and Daario taking his role as Hand. Grey Worm as well, looked to be in a tough situation from the trailer. Either or both are terminal IMO
i'll be really annoyed if we don't see him cook some ass before he goes. they ****ed us over in not showing him own those gold cloaks in season 1.

I listened to Linda's and Elio's discussion of the season five trailer. Elio and I are on the same page in suspecting that the set photo of the Boltons at Winterfell, seemingly receiving someone, are in fact receiving Sansa and Littlefinger. A few questions about this scenario:

-Would Cersei flip her **** if Sansa suddenly resurfaced in the North?

-Roose should be able to recognize Sansa, correct?

Grey Worm may be the show's Stalwart Shield.

Roose probably should recognize her, but I guess they'll say in the show that he never visited Winterfell or something.

ЯɘvlveR;30698961 said:
i'll be really annoyed if we don't see him cook some ass before he goes. they ****ed us over in not showing him own those gold cloaks in season 1.

If it was up to me I'd have them kill Daario and have Barristan stay on to kick ass, and take names.

"This old man is about to kill you, Ser."

I don't think there's a problem if he did recognize her. If anything, it would help him tighten his firm grip on the North.

ЯɘvlveR;30698933 said:
it'd be great if you were actually her, that way we'd know it's not a matter of opinions.

is her statement not an opinion?

and I am Sophie Turner. Who wants to touch me other than Roose.

I listened to Linda's and Elio's discussion of the season five trailer. Elio and I are on the same page in suspecting that the set photo of the Boltons at Winterfell, seemingly receiving someone, are in fact receiving Sansa and Littlefinger. A few questions about this scenario:

-Would Cersei flip her **** if Sansa suddenly resurfaced in the North?

-Roose should be able to recognize Sansa, correct?

Grey Worm may be the show's Stalwart Shield.

Roose probably should recognize her, but I guess they'll say in the show that he never visited Winterfell or something.

If it was up to me I'd have them kill Daario and have Barristan stay on to kick ass, and take names.

"This old man is about to kill you, Ser."

Robert didn't see Ned for like a decade after the rebellion right? so its not hard to fathom he had never met Sansa (at least to the age shed be recognizable later)

I listened to Linda's and Elio's discussion of the season five trailer. Elio and I are on the same page in suspecting that the set photo of the Boltons at Winterfell, seemingly receiving someone, are in fact receiving Sansa and Littlefinger.
That wouldn't work, since from the spoilers Littlefinger is in King's Landing by episode 4, and the early promo photos are always from the first couple of episodes.

There's also a ton of other problems with the idea of Sansa replacing Jeyne Poole.

I have no idea how they're going to wing this but I'm all for it as long as they don't do like some shows have done and go totally on their own path while ignoring whatever established story happens anyway.

So Littlefinger is going back to King's Landing in season 5? I can't remember does that happen in the books?

Sansa and Littlefinger are basically going into book six territory, so it makes sense we aren't sure what they are going to do all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"