Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - Part 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really did need more stuff with the Lords of the North, some exploration of the after effects the Red Wedding had on everyone, more "The North Remembers" storyline. In the books it was a massive deal that Ramsay Bolton had a daughter of Ned Stark for a bride. Every lord above the Neck wanted to murder Ramsay for what the way he was desecrating the Stark legacy, and it was all from a place of loyalty to Ned and Robb's memory. It's cathartic to show that in the North at least, people still recognize and love the goodness of the Starks. We got none of that.

Plus it wouldn't have hurt them to showcase a few hanged Freys for Brienne's journey from the Riverlands to Winterfell. It's not like the Brotherhood Without Banners aren't a thing in the shows world. But they've flat out forgotten both the Freys and the BWB.

tumblr_mehc53n9oY1qcp29wo2_250.gif

I, for one, wonder if Jon Snow was actually homosexual. Sure, he ****ed Ygritte... but that was a jape.

We really did need more stuff with the Lords of the North, some exploration of the after effects the Red Wedding had on everyone, more "The North Remembers" storyline. In the books it was a massive deal that Ramsay Bolton had a daughter of Ned Stark for a bride. Every lord above the Neck wanted to murder Ramsay for what the way he was desecrating the Stark legacy, and it was all from a place of loyalty to Ned and Robb's memory. It's cathartic to show that in the North at least, people still recognize and love the goodness of the Starks. We got none of that.

It really is BS of the highest order and is the thing that has disappointed me most. To have a monumental thing like the Red Wedding to occur and to not show the wider ramifications in the North is a major cop out to me.

All we got was a line from Rambo about how one family was resisting Bolton influence but how he quickly sorted that out with the son by flaying the father in front of him.

Sansa/maybe Rickon is my one last hope of getting a genuine Stark centric storyline that doesn't involve her being tortured but I'm not holding my breath.

I disagree. I feel they did alright in terms of featuring the North's loyalty to the Starks given the context. While it's true that we didn't see lords proudly yelling in defiance of the Boltons in honour of the Starks, we did see the small folk who were willing to put their lives on the line to support and protect Sansa.

"Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue."

Compared to one old woman who is swiftly killed off, I don't see that as nearly enough. All of the political tension of a Stark girl in Bolton hands was stripped, and given that it was a major theme in the Northern storyline during that novel, it's not exactly what I'd call a great adaptation.

Considering how they only want to go with 7 seasons, was a bit painful to see Dorne get streched out so much, while stuff like the the kingsmoot is probably going to be compressed here.

"Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue."

Compared to one old woman who is swiftly killed off, I don't see that as nearly enough. All of the political tension of a Stark girl in Bolton hands was stripped, and given that it was a major theme in the Northern storyline during that novel, it's not exactly what I'd call a great adaptation.

Blurbs like those always make for make quotes. However, the question is - who could the show use to say it? The problem with the books is that its penchant to constantly expand the cast with more and more new characters - many of whom only accomplish one thing of significance within the story - which is something that the show is neither wanting to do nor able to do (due to costs, casting, time, etc).

So, while the show could have expanded Sansa's time in Winterfell, it would've come at the expense of other characters and storylines. At which point, we'd be complaining about those abridged parts instead.

Howland Reed... or the Blackfish

new casting call is out, and it seems a couple of northern lords are getting cast.

what I'm most excited about is the casting of

Legendary Fighter: A man in his thirties or forties who is a great swordsman and a paragon of knighthood. He carries a famous sword. The show is seeking a very impressive swordsman for the role- the best in Europe, for a week of filming fight scenes for a season 6 role. His ethnicity/race isn’t specified, unlike many other roles.
this has to be for a flashback with arthur dayne.

This is where they're putting Stephen Dillane's salary alongside Shireen's and Selyse's. So many North characters being cast. :(

But wouldn't you agree that this is a problem that's inherited by Books 4 and 5?

I'm only in to book 1 honestly. I plan on trying to get all caught up here before next season starts though

That is one of the things that article I posted was talking about how in the last 2 books it was really more about the ramifactions of the war for the crown and the red wedding and the affects it had on the realm and people as a whoole. That is what this last season was sorely missing IMO. They still think they have to adhere to this shock for shocks sake thing and episode 9 has to be the big twist each season. People are already in love with the show so they need to just be bold and break the mold as well as do what serves the story that needs to be told

If the rumors of them casting some of the Northern Lords for Season 6 turns out to be true, then I'm going to be REALLY annoyed. You're bringing them in NOW, as opposed to Season 5, where their presence would have made the whole "Sansa goes to WF" thing make more sense, seriously writers?

If the rumors of them casting some of the Northern Lords for Season 6 turns out to be true, then I'm going to be REALLY annoyed. You're bringing them in NOW, as opposed to Season 5, where their presence would have made the whole "Sansa goes to WF" thing make more sense, seriously writers?
i don't really have an issue with someone taking issues with the show, but this is an expensive ash show to make. while we have wait year to year for each season, there isn't that sort of gap going on in the show.

perhaps the bugdet that went into the baratheon camp is going to go into the northern lords. who knows.

Blurbs like those always make for make quotes. However, the question is - who could the show use to say it? The problem with the books is that its penchant to constantly expand the cast with more and more new characters - many of whom only accomplish one thing of significance within the story - which is something that the show is neither wanting to do nor able to do (due to costs, casting, time, etc).

So, while the show could have expanded Sansa's time in Winterfell, it would've come at the expense of other characters and storylines. At which point, we'd be complaining about those abridged parts instead.

They could remove about 90% of Dorne and they'd be none the worse for wear. Or better yet, they could try and not cram two whole books into ten episodes.

Well lets not ignore that Sansa could easily be helped by these new north cast members... its not terrible they werent in season 5... dumb maybe, yea... but I'm just happy they are planning to add them and actualy acknowledge **** like the rw.

The Northern Lords being cast sound mostly like Umbers, which makes more sense in regards to Davos finding Rickon than anything else.

we need the Greatjon!

Last edited:
I forgot about him... he could easily give that Winter speech.

It's too late for that, Stannis is dead and his march through a blizzard is done. Big Bucket Wull gives that speech during the march where dozens of men are dying of the cold and the chances of victory are minimal, the Umbers are likely still at the Last Hearth. Context isn't there.

this was one of my favorite scenes... back when I had no idea about the Red Wedding.. this was the big hero for me.

It's too late for that, Stannis is dead and his march through a blizzard is done. Big Bucket Wull gives that speech during the march where dozens of men are dying of the cold and the chances of victory are minimal, the Umbers are likely still at the Last Hearth. Context isn't there.

Shut your mouth when you're talking to me. Seriously, I am really getting sick of you and your condescending tone. Say another word and I will stab you in the face with a soldering iron.

shut your mouth when you're talking to me. Seriously, i am really getting sick of you and your condescending tone. Say another word and i will stab you in the face with a soldering iron.

I guess it is a little creepy, when a young man, who happens to be an only child, loses both of his parents in a tragic accident one month before his birthday and then has his best friend make a vow that he will never spend his birthday alone. Yea, maybe that would fall under the category of creepy. You stop projecting on me! Why don't you go enjoy yourself while I go ice my balls and spit up blood. Team player!

What? Some older lady make you feel her cans? grow up.

How were they? built for speed or built for comfort? did you motorboat? :oldrazz: YOU MOTOR BOATING SON OF A *****, YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"