Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - - - Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ What I outlined feels like something GRRM would do, at least based on what I know of him just as a show viewer.

The Dosh Khaleen aren't nuns, at least so far as I understand it; they're essentially shamans/holy women who can read omens and bestow wisdom. I personally think she'll actually get to the Temple of the Dosh Khaleen and end up doing or experiencing something that will influence the Dothraki to help her on a cultural level, and that everything we've seen her do since leaving most of the Dothraki behind will end up being largely inconsequential.

I stand corrected on that. Apparently they do have some religious power in their society.

^ What I outlined feels like something GRRM would do, at least based on what I know of him just as a show viewer.

Well he's just a show viewer now too forced to watch D&D run amok with his creations.

I don't think there's enough time for this idea to manifest properly (Vaes Dothrak is still a long ways away -journey, induction, etc.) as well as resolving Mereen, marshalling her forces (and another large navy too, since the Harpies irrationally burned the Mereenese ships), conquest of Westeros, war against the WW's. After this season, there's approximately thirteen episodes left to resolve ALL storylines. They can't afford to take off in new directions.

Last edited:
I love how learned the people of the interwebz are. Has there even been a pointless plotline in Game of Thrones?

I love how learned the people of the interwebz are. Has there even been a pointless plotline in Game of Thrones?

Grey Worm Romance
Roz
Lets go to Crasters to give Jon something to do and add more needless rape!

Those three off the top of my head. There's lots of instances of gratuitous scenes that spring up throughout the series that I can't help but scratch my head at, when they're at the point where the show is beginning to feel rushed due to the volume of characters in it.

I can explain some of Craster's - you basically had some psychopaths deprived of sexual contact thrown into a situation where they're surrounded by a class they consider little better than trash (the wildlings). You mix their opinion of wildlings with their viciousness...its unfortunate, but there you have it. Its an ugly reminder of what's guarding the realms of men from an impending invasion and serves to highlight that the real monsters aren't necessarily just north of the Wall.

Stannis' plotline turned out pretty pointless :o

They will totes use Stannis's legacy to rally houses to rise against the Boltons.

They explained why they went to crasters... so the mutineers wouldn't tell the wildlings all about castle blacks defenses... Jon knew this because Mance, Tormund, and Orell questioned him about it

I can explain some of Craster's - you basically had some psychopaths deprived of sexual contact thrown into a situation where they're surrounded by a class they consider little better than trash (the wildlings). You mix their opinion of wildlings with their viciousness...its unfortunate, but there you have it. Its an ugly reminder of what's guarding the realms of men from an impending invasion and serves to highlight that the real monsters aren't necessarily just north of the Wall.

We're not talking about explaining the rationality of the plot lines, we're talking about the necessity of them. Two very different things. I completely understand why that arc played out the way it did, but you asked us what plot lines were "pointless", as in, what plot lines don't serve the main narrative.

Coaster's is a perfect example of that. It's something that didn't need to be included, and was essentially pointless filler to give Bran and Jon more to do because D&D were rapidly running out of material for them. So in the sense of the overall narrative, it was quite pointless. Because if you take out that entire event, nothing in the overall plot changes.

Last edited:
In Victarions defense... he's not the one who asked.

I don't need satan on my side.

I got ya, Infinity. They did kind of write themselves into that corner by not sticking to the book's program. I'd say they did the most logical with what they'd done, but they could've done better by sticking to the source.

Don't apologize to that man.

Victarion needs at least... 22 lashings.

Yeah, I asked. And I think there's a difference in opinion in what is pointless or not in a story. Eunuch romance is there to develop characters. I guess some prefer there eunuchs soulless though. Rosalind was always a side character but I'm not sure you could call her pointless. She was a familliar face that provided a point of view of happenings within Littlefinger's brothel. She was also one of the ones who tried to climb the ladder and failed as Littlefinger would put it.
As for Craster's, who cares if it didn't further the overall plot. It was entertaining and it made sense within the context of the plot. It also reinforced Jon's status amongst the watch. A whole extra time he saved the day.
There's more to a story then going from point A to point B.

No, I just prefer better plotlines than eunuch romance.

edit: eunuchs have no souls. I would crucify 163 of them for a first edition shadowless base set Charizard line.

when it comes to crasters keep... had the mutineers joined the wildlings and helped them take castle black... everyone would be saying 'well why didnt the nights watch send men to kill the mutineers after they killed their LC and not allow them to give away information"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"