Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - - - Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit not overly impressed by the Eunuch romance but I'm not sure I'd call it pointless. It is insight into the life of one of the slaves Danny's freed and it's not like shes was doing a whole lot more than failing her kingdom last season.

pointless plots...

how about everything in Qarth and Dorne :o

The vault was symbolic.

I'd rather watch Dany deal with the vultures taking advantage of the chaos she's sowed throughout Slaver's Bay. Cleon the Butcher King, Queen ****e, all that good stuff. The mass crucifixions in Astapor, the noble children being kidnapped and turned into a new crop of Unsullied. Just the general Slaver's Bay is going to hell in a handbasket thing with the plagues thrown in.

symbolic of killing off one of the hotter characters

Has it been discussed what the Night's Watch plans to do against the Wildlings now that they are on the same side of the wall?

Well there is absolutely nothing the NW can do about the wildlings. They are drastically outnumbered and the Wildlings have no reason to attack the wall from the south... the NW has no reason to care anymore because now they are the 7 kingdoms problem and the NW stays out of those affairs.

Has it been discussed what the Night's Watch plans to do against the Wildlings now that they are on the same side of the wall?

The Wildlings present an opportunity for Lord Bolton to solidify his hold on the North. Dealing with the savages to appease his vassals.

Yeah, I asked. And I think there's a difference in opinion in what is pointless or not in a story. Eunuch romance is there to develop characters. I guess some prefer there eunuchs soulless though. Rosalind was always a side character but I'm not sure you could call her pointless. She was a familliar face that provided a point of view of happenings within Littlefinger's brothel. She was also one of the ones who tried to climb the ladder and failed as Littlefinger would put it.
As for Craster's, who cares if it didn't further the overall plot. It was entertaining and it made sense within the context of the plot. It also reinforced Jon's status amongst the watch. A whole extra time he saved the day.
There's more to a story then going from point A to point B.

With Grey Worm's love story, my point is that I don't think they're characters that need developing. They're side characters at best, and there are far too many other characters that should take up that valuable screen time, especially at this point in the game where there are so many characters at times it feels like some of them barely go through much of an arc by the end of the season.

Crasters is another example. It didn't need to happen. Nothing came of it, nothing was revealed about the character that went through it, it was a pointless plot thread that added nothing to the show other than to give DD a way to stretch bran and Jon's stories.

And, Ros, while fun, was another character whose inclusion added nothing to the main plot. Remove her and it doesn't really affect anything. Now, she was mainly in S1 and s2, when there were a lot less character arcs going on, so her inclusion didn't feel as forced as the other two. And if I had to keep one of these three, she would be the one I would kee because I felt that actress did a good job, but she was still essentially a pointless character.

Last edited:
Well, they did kill the only guy South of the wall they kind of liked.

Well, they did kill the only guy South of the wall they kind of liked.

Coaster? You mean North of the wall? And this is true, but again, Craster is a small enough character that it doesn't really matter. And they could have still had him get killed without adding in the entire subplot of needing to go over and kill the deserters etc.

Now, to be fair, I don't think D&D have done a horrible job. They have a tough task, adapting something as massive as GOT is not easy, and I should say that a lot of their changes in the early seasons I really liked. Pretty much all of the Ayra stuff at Harrenhall I felt was an improvement over the books, deciding to make Robb a point of view character, actually making his wife a character we get to know etc. And I understand that no one would be perfect in adapting this story, and you're going to make mistakes. And overall, GOT is still damn fine television. Where I get frustrated is that in the past few seasons, they've seemed to add a lot of stuff that comes off as cheap shock value that doesn't really add anything to the story. And that I'm not a fan off.

I don't think having too many characters is why we aren't getting a whole lot of development from some. It's because they caught up with the books on too many of them. They couldn't use Bran all last season.
Which makes it all the more confusing for me why they didn't include Lady Stoneheart or Griff. Or Euron Greyjoy for that matter. I'll admit I'd have preferred all of those over a eunuch love story. I'm also surprised we never heard about Tyrion's wedding.

We may yet get Tysha. Tyrion did tell Danaerys that he'd tell her why he killed Tywin.

they also make every "POV scenes" seem like completely different time lines... like it seems some time has gone by in Meereen... but its the same day as the finale at the Wall.

a few days at least go by for Jaime to sail to KL etc...

I don't think having too many characters is why we aren't getting a whole lot of development from some. It's because they caught up with the books on too many of them. They couldn't use Bran all last season.
Which makes it all the more confusing for me why they didn't include Lady Stoneheart or Griff. Or Euron Greyjoy for that matter. I'll admit I'd have preferred all of those over a eunuch love story. I'm also surprised we never heard about Tyrion's wedding.

I've wondered about this as well. Part of me is wonders if it's because the characters in the books end up being somewhat "pointless" as well. Quentin is a perfect example. He was a character that, when his arc was done, I put the book down and went, "why the hell did George include him in this?" Because he really added nothing to the story. As shocking and interesting as LSH was...she hasn't really done anything. And if she just ends up being knocked off by Jamie or Brine or someone else, then I actually get why D&D would decide to not include her.

Coaster? You mean North of the wall? And this is true, but again, Craster is a small enough character that it doesn't really matter. And they could have still had him get killed without adding in the entire subplot of needing to go over and kill the deserters etc.

I was talking about the Night's Watch killing Jon. He was the guy who saved them from zombiehood, for the time being anyway, and promised an alliance, then the Night's Watch Caesared him for it because they were against it. I was wondering what they plan to do now that there isn't a wall in between them.

I legit think that Aegon will turn out to be a decent ruler. It seems like something GRRM would do - the Blackfyre pretender being a good enough king that proper names and identities are rendered moot.

I've wondered about this as well. Part of me is wonders if it's because the characters in the books end up being somewhat "pointless" as well. Quentin is a perfect example. He was a character that, when his arc was done, I put the book down and went, "why the hell did George include him in this?" Because he really added nothing to the story. As shocking and interesting as LSH was...she hasn't really done anything. And if she just ends up being knocked off by Jamie or Brine or someone else, then I actually get why D&D would decide to not include her.

Makes me wonder why they would add Thoros and Barric though. I like the guys but bringing back LSH is kind of what they were there for. Unless Lord Snow becomes Lord Stoneheart somehow.

Makes me wonder why they would add Thoros and Barric though. I like the guys but bringing back LSH is kind of what they were there for. Unless Lord Snow becomes Lord Stoneheart somehow.

Thoros is in season 6 too lol

I was wondering that as well. At the very least, Thoros and Barric set up the precedent for bringing people back from the dead, and that it is possible. And if they end up going with Melisandre doing something similar, or even enlisting them to bring Jon back, then it would make sense.

And there's always the possibility D&D are running a super long con and decide to include LSH later int he game.

I expect they wanted to keep the idea of resurrection on the table for this season.

I'd be happy to have Beric back. I really liked his character.

With their supposedly being 13 episodes after this season it feels like this season is the latest they could add LSH. It would be too much crammed in if it was added into next season.
I'm also disappointed we haven't even heard about Nymeria and her super pack.

Once again, Thoros is in season 6 for a reason. But timeline wise... its been like over a year since the Red Wedding... so LSH coming is beyond a long shot... its a never happening.

And I'm not buying in to D&D finishing in 2 shorten seasons... HBO won't go for that.

I legit think that Aegon will turn out to be a decent ruler. It seems like something GRRM would do - the Blackfyre pretender being a good enough king that proper names and identities are rendered moot.

Well yeah Aegon is like a Qunari from Dragon Age. He has been raised as a ruler, no attachment to any families or personal goals. He is simply molded into a ruler.

Well yeah Aegon is like a Qunari from Dragon Age. He has been raised as a ruler, no attachment to any families or personal goals. He is simply molded into a ruler.

I still don't buy that he's really Aegon, but that's just me. Also, the fact that he hasn't been included yet in the show leads me to believe he may end up being a fake in the book.

I think he's a Blackfyre too, but it would serve the point that birthright does not necessarily translate into a good leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"