Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones' started by Thread Manager, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Finarfiniel

Finarfiniel Merciless Queen of the Dread Dimension Death

Wow, a week?? I also recently finished watching seasons 1-7 through for the first time ever, but it took me at least 3 weeks so you beat me. :woot: I'm the opposite to you though, I'm a total fantasy nerd so it's really weird that it's taken me so damn long to get into the show. I'm also in the same boat as everyone else now too, the tedious endless wait for season 8... I plan to watch the show through slowly for a second time (taking my time rather than the breakneck speed I watched it the first time) to help fill the wait.

I urge you to give the LotR movies a try, I think you'll definitely enjoy them if you liked GoT. Granted LotR is not nearly as visceral, violent and gritty as GoT, but the incredible world building, sets, costumes, effects, scenery, battle scenes, scope, e.t.c, are all more than comparable. LotR is the grand-daddy of modern epic fantasy, it's where it all began. The Westeros tourist board recommends Middle-earth for your next fantasy adventure. :woot:

2. MaceB

MaceB Well-Known Member

It's hard for me to call this my biggest gripe with the show (since it was done on purpose, and I kind of feel like seasons 1-3 were loading the shotgun to fire big in the Season 3 finale) but it does make it hard to share the show with friends.
    I was trying to watch GOT from the start with my Dad... and those first 2 seasons consist of a lot of dialogue about characters we don't even really know yet. I had to keep convincing him, "just stick with it... it comes together." Ultimately, I wasn't successful.

I've never seen a show or movie that relies so heavily on exposition, but then weaponizes it so perfectly. GOT makes you earn it... you've got to sit there, and pay attention for a bit, and then you get the reward.

When my gf forced me to watch it... I was one step out the door... until the Red Wedding happened, and then of course.. you can't peel your eyes away even if you want to.

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I thought there were big hooks in season 1. The Red Wedding is far from one of my favourite parts of the show.

4. MaceB

MaceB Well-Known Member

Every season is cool, but in those first two seasons, it can be hard to follow. You don't know each individual and their names and their relatives yet. The familial connections are hard to keep up with, and the familial connections are so important in GOT. It's like a puzzle that gets filled in with time. It's always fun to watch and to do... but nothing beats the first glimpses of that image coming together. "Oh this is what it's supposed to be!"

I'm not sure if the Red Wedding is my favorite scene... but it certainly took me by surprise and I never quite saw anything like it. Once you get to that scene, you're invested... you aint going anywhere.

5. Ruth Fisher

Ruth Fisher Goddess Famke Janssen

Aww looking at old pics. Will miss this cast :'( Can i just say, i REALLY miss cersei's old hair too. She had the most amazing hair out of all the cast. Look at sone pics, it was GOURGEOUS! It was like a work of art all the time. Wish she would have let it grow again

6. Reek

Reek _____

Well... she wore a wig... so...

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  7. Ruth Fisher

Yes it was a beautiful wig.

To me the characters with the best hair are...
    1. Cersei
    2. Daenerys
    3. Jon snow
    4. Jamie when he had long hair

8. Reek

Reek _____

so you wish she would have let her wig grow again?

9. Ruth Fisher

No i wish the character would grow her hair so then they could put the old wig back on lena heady

10. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

She did look better with long hair.

11. MaceB

MaceB Well-Known Member

She had great long hair, but I feel like the short hair shows kind of an emotional progression. She's not the little girl trying to attract the King like she once was. Now, she's her own person, and she demands respect the same way any man would. And so I guess the short hair helps fit that mold IMO.

#NotTryingToBeSexist

12. Finarfiniel

Finarfiniel Merciless Queen of the Dread Dimension Death

I agree, the evolution of Cersei's look (not just her hair but also the way she dresses) fits perfectly with the evolution of the character.

It's all moot anyway, because Melisandre clearly has the best hair. Cersei was just trying to copy Galadriel. :oldrazz:

13. BaelaTargaryen

BaelaTargaryen Well-Known Member

https://deadline.com/2018/06/game-o...george-r-r-martin-hbo-pilot-order-1202406524/

14. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

The Long Night!!!

[​IMG]

Hopefully HBO likes the pilot and orders it to series.

15. David H.

David H. Well-Known Member

Huh. I was expecting Aegon’s conquest/the dance of dragons but I guess a full blown horror-fantasy series is something to get excited about.

16. Marvolo

This will probably be much more fantastical. This is set at least 2,000 years before Andals invaded Westeros so the Children will still be in Westeros and the Old Gods will still be prominent. We also might get to see the Wall being built. That would be the logical ending for a series about the end of the Age of Heroes and the Long Night.

Martin's telling the story of the Targs in his new Blood and Fire books so he probably didnt want to repeat that story in the spinoff show.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  17. OtherwiseKnownAs

OtherwiseKnownAs Master of the Mystic Arts

Completely up for this! This is how you do a prequel series. Set in a time and place that the lore has barely touched upon, and where it’s far removed from the series proper.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  18. MaceB

MaceB Well-Known Member

Hmm, wow. I have to admit that I have a very dismissive view of prequels generally. In the hands of wrong people, it can be hard to keep the stakes high in a prequel IMO.

That being said, this being set thousands of years earlier helps, and since White Walkers haven't really been explained at all... a Long Night series feels pretty freaking welcome at this point! The fact that Martin is playing a role in the overall story is also really essential, so I'm happy about that.

19. warhorse78

warhorse78 Well-Known Member

Speaking of sequels, could they take some of the characters who survive and make spin offs?

20. Reek

Reek _____

ah yes completely disregard a major plot point of her being shamed... great idea, Ruth!

and her character IS growing it back... just not at the speed of a Fable 3 haircut... I swear you are on something every time you post.

21. Marvolo

Do we know whether GOT will be at Comicon?

22. green

green fear is the mind killer

23. BaelaTargaryen

https://deadline.com/2018/07/george...set-to-film-in-belfast-in-october-1202423801/

24. blackdragon6

blackdragon6 Well-Known Member

I did too, i'm shocked it took almost 3 WHOLE season for people to get connected to the show. I was puled in as early as the first season, what sold me was when i saw Dany getting her dragons at the end of season 1. And Sam encountering the undead hoard in season 2. And even before then their was Black Water.

I think HBO should have but down some extra money to show the actual battle at The Fist of The First Men to help casuals stay engaged for what's to come. Instead they jut sho the grim march back to Caster's keep. Interestingly enough i think Hardhome saved season 5 for a lot of people.

25. BaelaTargaryen