The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

I think what we'll see is a flashback of sorts, perhaps 3PO narrates it once they find his missing memory or he plays it as a hologram, that talks about how Palpatine as a young man (Matt Smith?) worked to clone himself and create a group of highly powerful Force users that he could use as his own army. Maybe Anakin was the result of this. Later on Palpatine continued his work using Anakin's blood too and created Rey. Maybe as a baby she was put into some sort of stasis or something and after the empire fell the facility where she was got shut down or raided and that's how her junker parents found her, not knowing what she was. They kept her until selling her to the guy on Jakku.

That's definitely their ship in the trailer and I'd bet they figure into Palpatine's story.

Just some thoughts...

I'm with you in terms of having an open mind about where they take it. That is one thing I'm grateful to TLJ for. I went into it with such specific expectations about what I wanted to see and the choices in that film, once the initial surprise wore off, kind of allowed me to take a step back and be more open to where it goes from here. So while my fan theory mode is kicking into overdrive after the teaser, I'm being careful not to get too attached to any one theory.

It does seem Rey's origins will be addressed again one way or another, as JJ has pretty much said so. And I never had any doubt that would be the case. But I've been able to let go of "she MUST be a Skywalker or a Kenobi" mindset that I had walking out of TFA. If cloning is involved, so be it, but I just hope it doesn't get too sci-fi wonky with the explanation.

The funny thing is, I had a feeling she wouldn't be a Skywalker or a Solo since I figured that Han and Leia wouldn't keep something like that to themselves. Kenobi was a possibility, in my mind though I felt that could be less likely.

I wasn't big on the speculation of who her parents were post TFA . When I went into TLJ, I actually didn't think they were even gonna touch it or deal with it in that film . In alot of ways I went in fresh. When I found out her parents were I was like, "Oh... Okay". I wasn't disappointed or outraged.

At the same time, I wasn't blown away by it . It was executed in such a matter of fact way I just accepted it as is. I felt the film was problematic in other ways , but that actually wasn't one of them.

It wasn't till after the movie when I saw the polarized response to it that I realized that people took it as a big deal.

Nevertheless, I could see why both sides were passionate about the parents thing, yet at the same time , I felt that even after TLJ that episode 9 would deal with it in some way just because the third film in a trilogy tends to connect back to plot points, themes, struggles, of the first film i.e. ROTJ, The Dark Knight Rises , Spiderman 3 etc.

I liked Scream 3's articulation of the last chapter of a horror trilogy.

Scream 3

Randy (Jamie Kennedy)
: "Rules to successfully survive the last chapter of a horror movie trilogy:
1. You've got a killer who’s gonna be superhuman. Stabbing him won’t work, shooting him won’t work. Basically in the third one, you gotta cryogenically freeze his head, decapitate him, or blow him up.
2. Anyone, including the main character, can die. This means you, Sid.
3. The past will come back to bite you in the ass. Whatever you think you know about the past, forget it. The past is not at rest! Any sins you think were committed in the past are about to break out and destroy you."

Google recommended an article to me the other day, and I **** you not this was its title..."Examing the weird physics of Rey's jump in new trailer."

The physics of a space wizard's jump in a franchise full of space wizards that make wild and impossible jumps and falls. *headmeetdesk* The **** star wars fans will nitpick is shocking at times.

I liked Scream 3's articulation of the last chapter of a horror trilogy.

Scream 3

Randy (Jamie Kennedy)
: "Rules to successfully survive the last chapter of a horror movie trilogy:
1. You've got a killer who’s gonna be superhuman. Stabbing him won’t work, shooting him won’t work. Basically in the third one, you gotta cryogenically freeze his head, decapitate him, or blow him up.
2. Anyone, including the main character, can die. This means you, Sid.
3. The past will come back to bite you in the ass. Whatever you think you know about the past, forget it. The past is not at rest! Any sins you think were committed in the past are about to break out and destroy you."

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'd personally be fine with the cloning explanation or something along those lines, though it depends on the explanation, and the execution of the explanation . I've never been married to the idea that Rey must come from one place or the other, which is why Rey's origins actually wasn't one of the issues I had with TLJ.

For me, that's always been up in the air and always subject to a variety of possibilities . It's never really been a deal maker or breaker for her character for me as its been for alot of other SW fans.

So for me, it depends on what story they're gonna end up telling, and how they tell it. At this point I can go with whatever the explanation turns out to be as far as buying it or suspending disbelief , as long as it: makes sense, doesn't feel tacked on, rushed, half baked, or cursory .
Agreed. And at this point, i think JJ can make the cloning thing really work and work damn well. I have complete faith that JJ is gonna deliver the goods in every way. December can't get here fast enough

Google recommended an article to me the other day, and I **** you not this was its title..."Examing the weird physics of Rey's jump in new trailer."

The physics of a space wizard's jump in a franchise full of space wizards that make wild and impossible jumps and falls. *headmeetdesk* The **** star wars fans will nitpick is shocking at times.
weird physics??

yeah. It's called The Force. aka Space Magic. :yay:

Other option is we get the Newhart ending, and Luke wakes up at his academy.

The new Claudia Grey book, "Master and Apprentice" starring Quigon and Obi canonized some elements of the Chosen One prophecy.

One such element is is the actual wording of the Prophecy: "A Chosen One shall come, born of no father, and through him will ultimate balance be restored."

The book also details what balance means. The balance is the continued existence of both the Light Side and the Dark Side with neither side overpowering or eliminating the other.

It also makes canon that Quigon was fascinated with and obsessed with prophecies of the future. The Council feared his focus on the future, his constant attempts to look into the future, and his obsession with prophecies would cause him to fall to the Dark Side and that he would rebirth the Sith.

Not sure what sort of implications this bit of canon could have on Episode 9.

The new Claudia Grey book, "Master and Apprentice" starring Quigon and Obi canonized some elements of the Chosen One prophecy.

One such element is is the actual wording of the Prophecy: "A Chosen One shall come, born of no father, and through him will ultimate balance be restored."

The book also details what balance means. The balance is the continued existence of both the Light Side and the Dark Side with neither side overpowering or eliminating the other.

It also makes canon that Quigon was fascinated with and obsessed with prophecies of the future. The Council feared his focus on the future, his constant attempts to look into the future, and his obsession with prophecies would cause him to fall to the Dark Side and that he would rebirth the Sith.

Not sure what sort of implications this bit of canon could have on Episode 9.
I've got to pick this book up. Met Claudia Gray at Celebration and it sounds amazing.

I thought "bringing balance to the Force" meant destroying the Sith. So how does this explanation jive with that?

Q: How does it feel to be closing up the original Saga and starting this new chapter?
Kathleen Kennedy:
It's a mixed feeling of emotions. We don't look at it entirely as an end, but it is the culmination of the Skywalker story. I'm also incredibly excited about where we're going and what the future holds and what the new Saga might be.

Q: How did it feel to actually be able to come back and close out this story?
J. J. Abrams:
Selfishly I loved the experience of The Force Awakens so much I was nervous that coming back would somehow undo or sort of poison the waters of what that experience was somehow...and why would I want to risk that because it was such a great time. And this experience I think it ended up being an infinitely more gratifying experience. The challenges on this movie were crazy and yet I feel like everyone brought their triple A+ game.

Q: How does it feel to kind of be closing this chapter of things?
Daisy Ridley:
It feels very emotional and it feels good and I think that everyone watching the film will feel satisfied and it was the right timing and all of it, it just feels like all the right pieces are falling together.

Last edited:
I've been all over the place with who I think Rey's parents are--

Pre-TFA: She's definitely Han and Leia's.
Immediately post-TFA: She's definitely Luke's.
After watching TFA a second time a couple of weeks later/pre-TLJ: On second thoughts, I don't think it makes sense for her to be anything other than Rey Random.
Post-TROS title and Palpatine reveal/JJ saying there's more to it: Clone of Anakin or Luke, with MAYBE a dash of Palpatine in there.

I've got to pick this book up. Met Claudia Gray at Celebration and it sounds amazing.

I thought "bringing balance to the Force" meant destroying the Sith. So how does this explanation jive with that?

I havent read the whole book, but I assume the PT idea of balancing the Force by destroying the Sith was just a false assumption the Jedi made. Like Yoda said in ROTS, "A prophecy that misread may have been." It lines up with all the other bad decisions and issues plaguing the Jedi in the PT.

Rumors and Spoilers: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’s Flash Fights!

Make of this what you will.

I've been all over the place with who I think Rey's parents are--

Pre-TFA: She's definitely Han and Leia's.
Immediately post-TFA: She's definitely Luke's.
After watching TFA a second time a couple of weeks later/pre-TLJ: On second thoughts, I don't think it makes sense for her to be anything other than Rey Random.
Post-TROS title and Palpatine reveal/JJ saying there's more to it: Clone of Anakin or Luke, with MAYBE a dash of Palpatine in there.
For me I doubt they will be able to come up with anything better than just making her a descendant of Luke or Leia. The episodes films are the Skywalker story at heart. And I would have liked Kylo and Rey as opposing cousins.

For me I doubt they will be able to come up with anything better than just making her a descendant of Luke or Leia. The episodes films are the Skywalker story at heart. And I would have liked Kylo and Rey as opposing cousins.

So luke could sense that vader was his father and leia his sister but not rey his daughter? Doesn't work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"