Guardians of the Galaxy GOTG critics review/Rotten Tomatoes discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not really thought about it until now...

Lego Movie, Days of Future Past, Planet of the Apes, Edge of Tomorrow, winter soldier, How to Train your Dragon 2 and now it seems GotG.

I know I can see trailers for films like Transformers AOE and get disenfranchised by "the state of the film industry" sometimes, but MAN they're knocking out some DAMN GOOD movies this year. Some genuine quality!!

(but somehow AOE is still the highest grossing yet.. c'mon guys! Go watch a good movie instead!)

I voted an admittedly overly optimistic 80-85% RT score but we shall see.

So you haven't loved any of the MCU films?
I've been loving the MCU. Thor 2 deserves better than 65%. It's better than IM2 and IM3.

Or any of the Nolan Batfilms?
They are pretty good, except the 3rd one (terrible).

Or any of Bryan Singers X-movies?
DoFP was OK, not great. I liked 1st Class better. Disliked Wolverine, Singer did worse than Hood). Loved Superman Returns.

James Cameron
ok I guess.

Quentin Tarantino
Oh hell no.

Martin Scorsese
Nope

Paul Thomas Anderson
Who?

Spike Jonze
Who?

If not, I kinda hope you DONT love this movie. No offense.
:huh:

My point was I like movies that RT says are mediocre. Don't get offended. :woot:

You missed my point I'm afraid. Anyway I hope you like GotG . I was just being ironical.

C&P from other thread.

So, It's looking like about 9-10 fresh reviews on rotten tomatoes from tweets, and one negative from a guy at variety.

Fresh
Drew Mcweeny-Hitflix
Oliver Lyttleton-Playlist
Robbie Collin-Daily Telegraph
Devin Faraci-Badass Digest
Amon Warman-HeyUGuys
Dan Jolin-Empire Magazine
Steven Weintraub-Collider
William Bibbiani-CraveOnline
Jim Vejvoda-Ign
Eric Eisenberg-CinemaBlend

Negative
Variety Magazine

A good start!! Tomorrow will be fun.

Hmmm..the first negative tweet being from the first of the trades isn't a good sign as far as Top Critics are concerned. Still think this could end up somewhere in the 70's if there's a divide between the blog critics and mainstream critics (and old vs. young), which sometimes happens with more geek-oriented material. But Variety's opinions are often at odds with those of THR, the other major trade, so I'll be interested in seeing what they think, as those two are almost always two of the first to publish their reviews.

Last edited:
Weintraub doesn't do actual reviews, but it's always nice to see his reactions. I'm not overly worried with the reception 'cause Marvel Studios has a really good track record. And guys, remember, 70's is very good. Compare the reception of MS films with the average blockbuster. All we can do is wait, but 70-80's seem pretty reasonable given MS's track record and Twitter reactions.

Hmmm..the first negative tweet being from the first of the trades isn't a good sign as far as Top Critics are concerned. Still think this could end up somewhere in the 70's if there's a divide between the blog critics and mainstream critics (and old vs. young), which sometimes happens with more geek-oriented material. But Variety's opinions are often at odds with those of THR, the other major trade, so I'll be interested in seeing what they think, as those two are almost always two of the first to publish their reviews.

If you're referring to Ketchum's tweet, it depends on if he's the one who'll write the GoTG review for them or not (he also hated DoFP, and I don't know whether he liked TWS or not)...IIRC someone else at Variety had a more positive reaction.

GoTG is apparently very different tonally from other MCU films and I think that can work to its advantage with some mainstream critics who complain about "all MCU films are the same".

Last edited:
I don't remember Ketchum doing any reviews for Variety. In fact, I don't think he's on RT as a critic.

We'll see though.

Also you can add Empire to the positives. They loved the movie (maybe 4 out of 5 stars).

Yeah, looks like Defore or Chang do it for Variety.

I think a mid 70s rt is a huge win for this film I always felt this movie would be mixed review wise and not necessarily because it's good or bad but just because it's so out there it might go over some people's heads.

As long as Marvel Studios keeps their winning streak of fresh scores, I'll be happy.

Thor 2 was cutting it kind of close.

If you're referring to Ketchum's tweet, it depends on if he's the one who'll write the GoTG review for them or not (he also hated DoFP, and I don't know whether he liked TWS or not)...IIRC someone else at Variety had a more positive reaction.

GoTG is apparently very different tonally from other MCU films and I think that can work to its advantage with some mainstream critics who complain about "all MCU films are the same".
Ok, I was just referring to PokeJ's post, which didn't specify which Variety writer the tweet was from. I just assumed it was an RT critic. Never mind then, as I've also seen a positive tweet from a different Variety writer (though also not one of their main critics), so I guess the jury's still out on which way their review will go.

I would hope it's not the guy from Variety who hated it that writes the review. Variety are normally among the first to get their reviews out, and a negatively hyperbolic "WORST FILM OF THE YEAR!" review from a major trade being first out the block could poison the well in terms of critic reception, other critics suddenly being hesitant to go against the position of such an influential publication for fear of being the outlier who loves a turkey.

I really don't know where this will end up. I can see this ending up in the 80s with an average score in the high 6s.

Reviews are coming in

http://behindthepanels.net/review-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

10/10
Bottom Line: There are some comics that are just made for the big screen, and Guardians of the Galaxy pops straight out of the panels. A crazy concept pays off in spades as the latest superhero team to join the big leagues shows the rest how it’s done. It is hard to imagine a more perfect comic adaptation, or a straight-up more enjoyable film, than this.

http://www.mattsmoviereviews.net/movie-critic-reviews/guardians-of-the-galaxy.html

4/5
Guardians of the Galaxy is another triumph for Marvel Studios. Many will not know much about the comic book it is based on going in, but be sure that afterwards plenty will be talking about the movie with much enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Cautiously optimistic, but I'll wait to hear from bigger named publications before I allow myself to get too hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"