Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 17 "Red Hood" General Discussion

It's Gotham, they suck at police work lol.

The Red Hood gang and Dollmaker. Great to see both David O'Hara and Jeffrey Combs show up. I like getting a window into Alfred's past and am interested in seeing more of Bruce's training. Fish gouging her own eye out with a spoon was just over the top ridiculous even for this show. I was not expecting Reggie to stab Alfred or the reveal that Reggie was working for the Wayne Enterprise board of directors.

Fish stabbking her own eye makes no sense but then again nothing with her storyline makes much sense at this point.they are stalling till she can die in
season finale.

Barbara just comes off as joke.selina is 13 so it's way too creepy.

So i am guessing the wayne board wants to kill bruce so he can't grow up and take control.

The ending gives us another possable joker candiate since he starts out as red hood.

Um
Yeah so any kid can walk in a crime scene and pick up an evidence

I keep thinking , how did that get on the ground. Gordon is partially responsible for the Joker apparently.

Fish stabbking her own eye makes no sense but then again nothing with her storyline makes much sense at this point.they are stalling till she can die in season finale.
I thought it made sense...the doctor was going to take her eyes, so by sacrificing one she saves the other since the doctor isn't going to want just one eye. Just like what they did to the guy in the episode last week, they killed him so they couldn't take him, etc.

If anything it shows that Fish isn't a hypocrite (just willing to sacrifice others) and is ready to make sacrifices herself to get what she wants.

Overall I liked this episode better then last weeks, I like how they showed the beginning of the red hood gang and hinted that Alfred had some darkness in his past he would rather forget.

My one big criticism of this show is that they need to work harder on fleshing out the characters they already have (rather then just throwing in a bunch of new ones willy nilly) so it was nice to see someone from Alfreds past being introduced. That he turned out to be a traitor is interesting, I'm curious to see what happens to him in future episodes.

I thought it made sense...the doctor was going to take her eyes, so by sacrificing one she saves the other since the doctor isn't going to want just one eye. Just like what they did to the guy in the episode last week, they killed him so they couldn't take him, etc.

If anything it shows that Fish isn't a hypocrite (just willing to sacrifice others) and is ready to make sacrifices herself to get what she wants.

Overall I liked this episode better then last weeks, I like how they showed the beginning of the red hood gang and hinted that Alfred had some darkness in his past he would rather forget.

My one big criticism of this show is that they need to work harder on fleshing out the characters they already have (rather then just throwing in a bunch of new ones willy nilly) so it was nice to see someone from Alfreds past being introduced. That he turned out to be a traitor is interesting, I'm curious to see what happens to him in future episodes.

Her pulling out her eye did nothing for her situation, all it did was make her even more expendable. The Dr wanted BOTH eyes. now he has no reason to keep her alive. Her thinking she was in a position of power in the first place was ridiculous. She is a prisoner in a basement where the guards have machine guns. All she has is a small knife. Everything points to her dying next week, but chances are the writers will pull something random and have her live... again.

The Fish, Penguin and Barbara arcs need to go or get merged. They move ahead at a snurtle (snail/turtle) pace and don't add anything whatsoever.

I really did like the Bruce story this week. Payne was awesome and having Wayne Enterprises collude against Bruce is interesting. Alfred getting stabbed at the end was the only genuinely shocking moment the season has provided me so far.

I also like the Red Hood stuff. Didn't rely on the comics too much and stayed away from the heavily implied Joker angle.

For my full review, here's the link :)
http://otlnews.net/2015/02/23/gotham-review-s1-ep-17-red-hood/

That was quite a good episode.

My only problem so far is that they don't let anything really sink in. Like Bruce and Jim in hospital with Alfred, it was just too quick.

Honestly...why am I still watching this show? I have to really question myself at this point.

I honestly didn't think it possible to get any worse than last week, but this comes close.

Lets start with the good. The premise of the "Red Hood" gang was promising. I thought we were in for a treat when the next "Proto- Joker" candidate started his routine. Yeah,they subverted my expectations with having the fat guy ice him and wear the mask. (which for some reason makes the wearer a stand up comic/robin hood social crusader?)but the plot quickly got choked out to a dismal conclusion. Yea!Some 13 year old found the mask.We have our next Joker candidate.:o

Again,Penguin had next to nothing to do but prove once again,that despite a promising beginning,(where he's depicted as a criminal mastermind the likes Gotham has never seen) he has no clue what the hell he's doing!

Nygma,again, a no show. He's pretty much the only thing I enjoyed in recent weeks- when he's actually on the show!

The Bruce plots are running out of steam as well. Do I really care that some board of directors is out to kill a millionaire 12 year old? Likewise Alfred's old mate, who's closer than close to him,but still decides to attempt to murder him. Will Alfred pull through? I have no idea.:dry:

Barbara's plotline with the 2 girls takes a somewhat creepy turn here. In a sense,I see the reason they put these three together. What the heck else are you going to do with two homeless waifs and a half in the bag at all times heiress? Might as well stick them all in the same purgatory. At least until the plot needs Cat to play coy with Bruce again.

Can somebody kill off Fish, for the love of Mike?!? That had to be the most disgusting scene on nationwide broadcast TV. And they need to card kids at the theater to see slasher movies?

This thing is starting to sink big time. It's a testament to the popularity of Batman that this will get another season. The concept really can't be sustained for the long haul. It's clear the showrunners didn't expect (nor want) more than a 13 ep season,because they knew this too.And it shows.

Last edited:
for those complaining about the hood being evidence...why? all criminal parties involved were shot dead. there will be no trial. there were dozens of witnesses. I don't see the hood being worth anything to the police or the prosecutors. yes I know it's not likely that they would leave it on the ground and they would seal off a crime scene. but this is a comic book tale and for the perpetuation of the story it served a bigger purpose.

Honestly...why am I still watching this show? I have to really question myself at this point.

I honestly didn't think it possible to get any worse than last week, but this comes close.

Lets start with the good. The premise of the "Red Hood" gang was promising. I thought we were in for a treat when the next "Proto- Joker" candidate started his routine. Yeah,they subverted my expectations with having the fat guy ice him and wear the mask. (which for some reason makes the wearer a stand up comic/robin hood social crusader?)but the plot quickly got choked out to a dismal conclusion. Yea!Some 13 year old found the mask.We have our next Joker candidate.:o

Again,Penguin had next to nothing to do but prove once again,that despite a promising beginning,(where he's depicted as a criminal mastermind the likes Gotham has never seen) he has no clue what the hell he's doing!

Nygma,again, a no show. He's pretty much the only thing I enjoyed in recent weeks- when he's actually on the show!

The Bruce plots are running out of steam as well. Do I really care that some board of directors is out to kill a millionaire 12 year old? Likewise Alfred's old mate, who's closer than close to him,but still decides to attempt to murder him. Will Alfred pull through? I have no idea.:dry:

Barbara's plotline with the 2 girls takes a somewhat creepy turn here. In a sense,I see the reason they put these three together. What the heck else are you going to do with two homeless waifs and a half in the bag at all times heiress? Might as well stick them all in the same purgatory. At least until the plot needs Cat to play coy with Bruce again.

Can somebody kill off Fish, for the love of Mike?!? That had to be the most disgusting scene on nationwide broadcast TV. And they need to card kids at the theater to see slasher movies?

This thing is starting to sink big time. It's a testament to the popularity of Batman that this will get another season. The concept really can't be sustained for the long haul. It's clear the showrunners didn't expect (nor want) more than a 13 ep season,because they knew this too.And it shows.

I have an idea. quit watching and torturing yourself and us with your negativity. Your comment about the Bruce plotline "running out of steam" is very telling.

Last edited:
That was quite a good episode.

My only problem so far is that they don't let anything really sink in. Like Bruce and Jim in hospital with Alfred, it was just too quick.

he will still be in there next week. I really enjoy the Bruce plotline so far. of all the threads it's my favorite.

I have an idea. quit watching and torturing yourself and us with your negativity

You could also put me on ignore if you can't endure my legitimate criticisms.

I wouldn't be so fast to ask people to drop the show either. They are going to need all the viewers they can get if they're to survive for another year with the crap they've been dishing out the past few weeks.

he will still be in there next week. I really enjoy the Bruce plotline so far. of all the threads it's my favorite.

I know Alfred might still be in hospital, but the more emotional scenes fly by so quick. I find it hard to get involved some times.

You could also put me on ignore if you can't endure my legitimate criticisms.

I wouldn't be so fast to ask people to drop the show either. They are going to need all the viewers they can get if they're to survive for another year with the crap they've been dishing out the past few weeks.

legit criticisms are fine. but stuff like "Bruce's plotline is running out of steam" ? really?
Good Lord is he watching the same show?

Was it just me or did anyone else notice the music when the Red Hood gang was in action sounded a little bit like the old Batman tv show theme?

legit criticisms are fine. but stuff like "Bruce's plotline is running out of steam" ? really?
Good Lord is he watching the same show?

Well,they are at least trying,I'll give you that. I don't think anything Bruce has done has been the least bit compelling since the midseason break,tbh. And he used to be my favorite part of the show.

12 Y/o Bruce vs Board of Directors. Just doesn't do it for me I guess.

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn Fish. :eek:

Aside from the Alfred/ Reggie storyline, which I thought was good, I felt the rest of the episode was quite bad. Sorry. If that bothers you, well, its a forum so I don't know what to tell ya.

The next episode though does look pretty good and I like the Wayne enterprises as corrupt entity angle. Even the Nolan films didn't go there , so its an interesting dynamic that as Bruce Wayne he'll have to fight for his birthright and as Batman, he'll have to fight for the city. I liked Alfred as the haunted veteran stuff and I liked the tension between the three guys.

Other than that though Fish, Red Hood, Penguin, Gordon, and Barbara, was dull to just plain bad. I'm not a fan of Dollmaker, and Jerome from last week is the Joker as far as I'm concerned, so the red hood stuff and fan service teases by Heller is pretty moot at this point for me at least. You got the guy, trying to hedge beats with other characters/actors isn't really gonna excite me when they Jerome did such a great job last week.

All in all, if you're a big fan of Gotham and really into anything Batman, you'll like tonights episode.

Was anyone watching able to make out the name of the badge of the guy in the Red Hood Gang that had long blonde hair?

Frankly, the Bruce vs the Board is actually the most interesting, I don't see how it's "running out of steam" especially when it's actually building towards an endgame

Why do you care about a board of directors trying to kill a 12 year old millionaire? Uh, maybe because it's more than just a board of directors involved? Maybe because we have already seen that there's more to the murder of the Waynes than just an accident, that they were killed for a reason, and that this is so much bigger than just a board of directors having some pissing match with a kid but rather it effects the future of Gotham and the plans whoever is in control has for the city?

Or maybe because oh hey this is an origin story where Bruce Wayne actually gets to show growth and how he becomes the man that he is going to be, that it didn't just happen magically one day but he learned it as a boy trapped in this web of lies and danger? That Bruce Wayne is more than just running around in a mask and beating people up but he has actual brain cells and he's going to learn how to play the game?

I don't understand how anyone who is watching this show would think this plot is running out of steam - we know there's a huge conspiracy going on behind why the Waynes were killed, we know that it's bigger than even just the board, that they're basically middle management and there's someone else even higher up in the ranks, we saw that they were concerned enough with Selina being an eyewitness, we saw that they were concerned with Bruce nosing around - this is a plot that is slowly building itself, this is a plot that is actually advancing forward - there was always going to be a point where Bruce would push too far and someone was bound to push back, and now they are - Thomas and Martha Wayne didn't die for no reason, they were involved in something, something that got them killed and now Bruce is walking into the same traps - he pushed and the board is therefore reacting, and first step is recon and eliminate the last sole caretaker so that controlling the boy and securing their future plans for Gotham will be a sure thing

This plot is moving forward just fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"