Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 8 "The Mask" General Discussion

I'm not exactly in love with the show, but I really enjoy the parts with Bruce and Alfred. Sean Pertwee's portrayal has to be my favorite version of Alfred. He's just such an awesome Butler. I can buy him as a guy who's ex-Secret Intelligence.

And man, did I love the scene of Bruce beating the **** out of Tommy, with his father's watch.

So, am I right in assuming the old lady singer is really Fish's Mom, who she told the girl was dead?

I see several reviews citing Sionis as a negative, but I thought it was awesome. Not subtle or anything, but something about the whole banker fight club thing felt somehow believable and f-ed up.

Solid episode btw. Glad to see Bruce at school.

Last edited:
I agree with whoever said that Sionis wasn't the least bit subtle. I would have preferred him more sleazy, and maybe be one of the villains that gets away, and that there'd be a longer arc to bring him down. Don't like that he's been reduced to silly villain of the week.

Episode was pretty good.

I wish that Sionis wasnt so outwardly evil, just because I prefer comic story of Black Mask's parents more. Also didnt like Tommy Elliot being that much of a outward d*ck as a kid, but again that's because I prefer the comic iteration more.

But in terms of the show itself, the case was interesting and Bruce's story was good too. I'll admit that Im not in love with Penguin as much as critics and everyone else. He was good at first, but now he's kinda boring to me

"Can you teach me to fight?"
"Yes I can" :up:

Not a fan of the Earth One style training that Alfred will probably give Bruce, but that scene was cool

Great episode.

I bet they named him "Richard" Sionis because he's not really Black Mask, but his son Roman will be someday, and he'll take inspiration from his father's affinity for masks.

Great episode.

I bet they named him "Richard" Sionis because he's not really Black Mask, but his son Roman will be someday, and he'll take inspiration from his father's affinity for masks.

yeah I thought that was clear.

Btw, nice nod to the comics with Penguin eating apples

1367808269_applepenguin.jpg

Hopefully Tommy will be back soon. It would be a shame to just waste him as a minor Easter Egg.

yeah I thought that was clear.

Did they ever mention that he had a son named Roman? I didn't catch it if they did. They should have.

I like how this show is clearly laying the foundation for so many things that can or will happen in the future.

Btw, nice nod to the comics with Penguin eating apples

Also, Pengiun and Fish had a "Things change" interaction that mirrored the conversation between Penguin and Batman in Batman Returns. :up:

I don't know much about Batman, who is this Tommy kid and who will he become ?
On a side note, I am one of the rare that doesn't hate Fish Mooney ? I find her colorful and over the top like a comic book villain.

Also, Pengiun and Fish had a "Things change" interaction that mirrored the conversation between Penguin and Batman in Batman Returns. :up:

that was the first thing i thought of when i saw that scene. cool to see someone else picked it up :woot:

i tend to find 99.9% of child actors annoying as hell, but i am liking the kid that plays Bruce. i also really like how Alfred is portrayed as he is pretty similar to Earth One Alfred in certain ways.

Gotta admit I teared up a bit when Alfred took Bruce to fight Tommy (with his dads watch). Such a great episode all around. Looks like this show in the last few episodes has found its footing.

Can't wait for the next episode/rest of the season. :up:

The show has its ups and downs, and this episode was definitely a down. Sionis' fight club was ridiculous. Employees wandering around with bruises and cuts, blood on the office floor, and an audience watching every fight... and somehow this is all a secret? I love the pulp noir elements of the show but this really broke my suspension of disbelief.

Barbara is an idiot, there's no other way to put it. She decides to stay with Gordon... only to leave him again because he can't take a few calls? While he's in danger? Are we supposed to sympathize with her? It seems she gets stupider and stupider as the show goes on.

The soundtrack was really distracting this episode for some reason. I dislike the over-the-top "quirky" music that they sometimes play for Penguin... his character is much more effective without it.

Highlights: the scene with Fish and Penguin, Bullock's speech to the GCPD, Bruce vs. Tommy Elliot.

The show has its ups and downs, and this episode was definitely a down. Sionis' fight club was ridiculous. Employees wandering around with bruises and cuts, blood on the office floor, and an audience watching every fight... and somehow this is all a secret? I love the pulp noir elements of the show but this really broke my suspension of disbelief.

Yeah, you'd think someone would have talked by now. Obviously not everyone, who doesn't pass the "job interview", gets killed. One would assume that all those that got away, went to the cops and told them about the crazy businessman that keeps people in cages and lets them fight for job openings.

Yeah, you'd think someone would have talked by now. Obviously not everyone, who doesn't pass the "job interview", gets killed. One would assume that all those that got away, went to the cops and told them about the crazy businessman that keeps people in cages and lets them fight for job openings.

Firstly, you don't go to the police in Gotham as they are corrupt. Secondly you have just killed 2 people to get a job. You now have the job. Are you going to give it up, either go to prison or get killed by everyone else at the company? Or just enjoy it?

It's not realistic, but it's not meant to be.

Like Bullock already explained, they weren't supposed to fight to the death, only till the last man was standing. That whole thing was basically Fight Club, with the occasional death. The only reason they didn't talk, was because they signed a confidentiality agreement, that would make them accomplices to everything that transpired.

So basically it was because of a piece of paper, that everything went on as long as it did. Which is honestly uber lame.

Great episode.

Could be. They may also have wanted to avoid confusion between Roman Sionis and Carmine 'The Roman' Falcone though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"