Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 2 "Selina Kyle" General Discussion

I think they really want to get away from the Alfred we all know. I think it would be easy if Bruce just had a caretaker with all the answers. I think it's actually allows for more growth. Alfred will learn to be a better guy so the next kid doesn't go all Batman.......or Red Hood..........or Grandson of the demon.......

I think you aren't supposed to 100% like Alfred yet.

Alfred grew into the kindly "Master Bruce" sarcastic old bean we know him as. He used to be a ****ing killer and still is in that mode right now to an extent.

Along with the Earth One comparisons, this Alfred reminds of the one from 'Beware the Batman'.

A new (or not widely known) take doesn't bother me. It's a telling of how these characters came to be who we know them to be. I'm interested in a telling of such. I suppose it wouldn't be the fanboy community if, at least, a subsection of us weren't practically demanding the finished product... when the very premise of the show tells you it's not that at this point. Oy.

I just want to say that I love this show. I love that it doesn't take itself too seriously and embraces it's comic roots.

It seems to me that the show hasn't yet decided if it is going to go the campy route or the gritty route and is unsuccessfully trying to do both. It'll have cartoonish villains like the 50's-looking couple from this episode that could have stepped out of the most lighthearted episode of The Animated Series and then involve them in an incredibly dark plot about child murder. It's very confused.

It seems to me that the show hasn't yet decided if it is going to go the campy route or the gritty route and is unsuccessfully trying to do both. It'll have cartoonish villains like the 50's-looking couple from this episode that could have stepped out of the most lighthearted episode of The Animated Series and then involve them in an incredibly dark plot about child murder. It's very confused.

I wouldn't say it's unsuccessful by any means. It can be off putting to some, but so was The Animated Series as it dealt with some pretty dark stuff itself, iirc. While not absolutely everyone's taste, I do like the contrast of camp and grit, and I think that's a big part of what the myth of Gotham City has always been, that you have this guy in a bat suit breaking arms and this guy in a clownsuit blowing off people's heads and cracking really corny jokes. I think that's where the Batman mythos works best, with a certain aware theatricality, the kind that Fish Mooney shows, which is why she's one of the best characters. Even the characters that aren't aware of their theatricality, like Selina, are still in that dark world, and go from demanding people call her an animal she likes to coercing them by threatening to accuse them of molesting her. That's pretty dark, especially for a kid. And it wasn't in the cute comedy movie way, she crossed her legs and smacked her lips like 'I dare you to call my bluff.'

I guess, basically, your comment helped me realize and highlight exactly why I like this show, which perhaps is the same exact reason you dislike it.

Now, I think it could be better, I think there are some things it seems to lack awareness of, when it comes to naming the Penguin and cramming all these future villains together in a tight box, but the fact that they have that thing so right gives me hope.

Yeah, I like the balance between grit and levity as well.

Though I don't see how that couple was in any way "campy".

I think they really want to get away from the Alfred we all know. I think it would be easy if Bruce just had a caretaker with all the answers. I think it's actually allows for more growth. Alfred will learn to be a better guy so the next kid doesn't go all Batman.......or Red Hood..........or Grandson of the demon.......

I think you aren't supposed to 100% like Alfred yet.

The Alfred we all know, is the Alfred who looks after & tend to a grown man, whom just so happen to be Batman. This is not the same Alfred.

This is an Alfred we have never seen before, mainly because, he's looking after & tending to a young boy, whom just happen to have loss his parents a short time ago.

Watched the Recent episode today. Overall I liked it as much as I liked the Pilot. I really like the actress that potrayed Selina Kyle. Can't wait to watch the next episode.

This was a better episode. I still wouldn't call this high-quality television, but I enjoyed this episode significantly more than the pilot. It was a little more subtle, although they still had the neon up ("CAT!"). I like the Gordon/Bruce moments a lot. And I'm pretty interested in how they're playing Alfred here.

Slightly unrelated note: I wonder if this show will employ any time jumps.

Can't see this show working without time jumps. At some point I think they'll have to do it.

I agree, there has to be time jumps in this show if only to speed up Bruce's growth. I would really love to see the life and times of Bruce Wayne in Gotham before he goes on his world journey.

I just saw the episode, the show has camp and grit and I like it.

I liked this episode even more than the pilot. The show has still got a lot of teething troubles, but there was better pacing with the story this time.

I really enjoyed the Falcone/Fish interaction. Gordon and Bullock were even better together this time. The Dollmaker clan were entertaining slightly OTT villains. Carmen was totally convincing as a teenage street though Selina. Good little actress. Penguin was again the main highlight for me. He is really getting more savage and dark, and seeing his mother was a treat. I look forward to seeing Oswald interact with her.

I still haven't totally warmed to young Bruce yet, and Alfred leaves me cold.

This was a better episode. I still wouldn't call this high-quality television, but I enjoyed this episode significantly more than the pilot. It was a little more subtle, although they still had the neon up ("CAT!"). I like the Gordon/Bruce moments a lot. And I'm pretty interested in how they're playing Alfred here.

Slightly unrelated note: I wonder if this show will employ any time jumps.

Nope! The Gotham universe is HUGE! The show can incorporate much of that universe to tell stories as well as creating new stuff. All of it being done WITHOUT the presence of Batman.

Can't see this show working without time jumps. At some point I think they'll have to do it.

I agree, there has to be time jumps in this show if only to speed up Bruce's growth. I would really love to see the life and times of Bruce Wayne in Gotham before he goes on his world journey.

That was my first thought. I'm almost sure they'll be time jumps. If you notice most of the vehicles they drive around in are late model cars (80s-early 90s looking). All of the computer monitors are old CRTs and no one seems to use any of today's technology and when they do (cell phones) they don't appear to be anything up to date.

Nope! The Gotham universe is HUGE! The show can incorporate much of that universe to tell stories as well as creating new stuff. All of it being done WITHOUT the presence of Batman.

I meant more to get Bruce into his late teens or so, not a full-blown Batman.

The actor is turning 14 in like 3 months. Assuming he is hitting puberty( like Walt on Lost did) like any other kid he will be getting bigger than Catgirl in normal time anyways.

So he will hopefully be going out into Gotham on his own.

The actor is turning 14 in like 3 months. Assuming he is hitting puberty( like Walt on Lost did) like any other kid he will be getting bigger than Catgirl in normal time anyways.

So he will hopefully be going out into Gotham on his own.

I'm thinking if this lasts long enough, we'll see that happen. Then I think they'll do a time jump. I'm expecting Gordon to end up leaving Gotham for a few years (I'll guess four) after Bruce runs away. Then both him and Bruce be drawn back to town around the same time. Maybe Bruce's return will be what prompts Gordon's. Then you'll have a Year One storyline with Bruce becoming a vigilante (though I picture him initially dressing in pure black, rather than a bat costume) and Gordon trying to capture him (without knowing that it's Bruce).

Man I love these shots

tumblr_ncvy5cgliv1rvawzlo8_r2_250.gif

tumblr_ncvy5cgliv1rvawzlo2_250.gif

Man I love these shots

tumblr_ncvy5cgliv1rvawzlo8_r2_250.gif

tumblr_ncvy5cgliv1rvawzlo2_250.gif

Yeah buddy I agree. Great shots in this last Episode 2. A better over a episode than the pilot IMO. I am really starting to like the portrayal of characters. Taylor as Oswald and Pinkett Smith have been viciously excellent so far. I like the actor they have playing Falcone also. He was on The Wire I believe. Gordon and Bullock chemistry is coming together nicely and the girl playing Selina is doing a good job as well. I liked the scene between Gordon and Bruce at Wayne Manor. McKenzie reactions to Bruce telling him why he is hurting himself was great. I still have a hard time understanding the actor who is playing Alfreds dialogue though.

I wonder if Gordon will find out who killed the Wayne's at the end of this season or next?

Last edited:
Sorry if this was mentioned. Just got into the show. Pretty obvious Falcone killed the Wayne's with his bare hands right? Now he is trying to create a power struggle that will eliminate his rivals in order to grab even more power? Just my guess as to where this season will end up.

Last edited:
I liked this episode even more than the pilot. The show has still got a lot of teething troubles, but there was better pacing with the story this time.

I really enjoyed the Falcone/Fish interaction. Gordon and Bullock were even better together this time. The Dollmaker clan were entertaining slightly OTT villains. Carmen was totally convincing as a teenage street though Selina. Good little actress. Penguin was again the main highlight for me. He is really getting more savage and dark, and seeing his mother was a treat. I look forward to seeing Oswald interact with her.

I still haven't totally warmed to young Bruce yet, and Alfred leaves me cold.

I thought Alfred's, "Stupid little boy!" was the best scene yet of the series.

The Dollmaker Clan was an intriguing twosome....they brought some nerdy cold blooded wickedness to the episode

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"