Grand Theft Auto V (A.K.A 5) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Red Dead Redemption, but the story was pretty weak, and the characters were fairly forgettable (only really memorable one for me was the snake oil salesman and maybe the villain).

I felt the opposite. The story and characters were great, but the world and certain aspects of the game play left a lot to be desired.

Chances are we won't get an RDR sequel (or prequel, hopefully it's set earlier) until the next gen. I feel like GTA V will be Rockstar's last game on the current systems given the time frame.

As an aside, is anyone hankering for an L.A Noire sequel? I'd be all for it if Rockstar did it themselves, but then it'd basically be GTA: 1945 or whatever.

I'm a little conflicted. I would love for another Red Dead game, maybe even set 10 or 20 years later with a different character (although I'm not too sure about what was happening historically at that point.)

But at the same time, I really loved how unique the entire experience felt and I don't know if its something I would want to go back to simply because I think RDR was great on its own. But I don't think the end would be too big of a deal seeing as how the last few GTA games weren't with the same protagonists.

That's the problem. That would set the game in 1920-1930's, not exactly the Old West. Part of the game's theme was that the Old West era was ending. I really liked that.

Not that a GTA-esque game in the 1920's or 1930's couldn't work... hell that could be awesome. But it wouldn't be the same (it's a different era)

I felt the opposite. The story and characters were great, but the world and certain aspects of the game play left a lot to be desired.

Chances are we won't get an RDR sequel (or prequel, hopefully it's set earlier) until the next gen. I feel like GTA V will be Rockstar's last game on the current systems given the time frame.

As an aside, is anyone hankering for an L.A Noire sequel? I'd be all for it if Rockstar did it themselves, but then it'd basically be GTA: 1945 or whatever.

Really? Well, you're entitled to your opinion. Best horse mechanics I've ever seen in a game.

I could see them making a GTA-style game in the prohibition era (1920's-1930's) maybe. That could (and probably would) have noir elements.

Really? Well, you're entitled to your opinion. Best horse mechanics I've ever seen in a game.

I could see them making a GTA-style game in the prohibition era (1920's-1930's) maybe. That could (and probably would) have noir elements.

That would be mafia pretty much. I doubt they'd step into that territory. Aside from the fact it would have nothing to do with rdr.

I wouldn't mind a new L.A. Noire game, only with more freedom and side stuff. But seeing how long it took that game to finally come out, and the aftermath with the studio behind it, I doubt we'll ever see a sequel.

That's the problem. That would set the game in 1920-1930's, not exactly the Old West. Part of the game's theme was that the Old West era was ending. I really liked that.

Not that a GTA-esque game in the 1920's or 1930's couldn't work... hell that could be awesome. But it wouldn't be the same (it's a different era)
Well yeah, that's what I mean. There is a certain novelty that RDR had because of the setting and that made it easily one of the best experiences I had playing a game. So to see them go back and try something similar, I don't really know how I'd feel.

I'm late to the party but did anyone notice on the Epsilon website there is a quote from Jezz Torrent, the lead singer of Love Fist from Vice City. Pretty obscure character to just pull out of left field for a random quote on a viral site. I doubt Rockstar would just randomly select him. Either we really are going back to the GTA3-verse (I hope) or they are having fun with all the people speculating that the main character is Tommy Vercetti.

I think you're on to something. Then again I really want it to be Tommy Vercetti and it'd be awesome playing as him in LA/Los Santos.

You won't catch me disagreeing. Other stuff like people getting up from a beating after ten seconds, or just the whole melee system in general being a massive step backwards put a sour taste in my mouth though. The horses and combat, all great fun. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game.

In regard to Tommy, one of the main things I'm hoping for in V is some great cameos. I'd love to see CJ or Tommy again, even if it's just brief. Even a small nod like having Grove Street in the game would be awesome.

I don't know if they relaunched the epsilon program site, but it existed a couple of years back and looked exactly like it does now. I think it was viral marketing for GTA: San Andreas at some point.

I don't know if they relaunched the epsilon program site, but it existed a couple of years back and looked exactly like it does now. I think it was viral marketing for GTA: San Andreas at some point.

That's correct. The only new thing is that there is now a link to a twitter account that was opened last month.

You know, I still hope we get multiple protagonists, whether it be DLC like GTA4, or just a natural part of the story.

And if we do get more than one at some point, I would really like to see them do a female protagonist, just to change things up a bit. One of my favorite things about Saint's Row 3 was changing genders because for some reason it felt cool to blow stuff up as a girl just because it was different.

I'd like a prequel... Not staring John.. Just during an earlier period that took place during the Civil War.

I'd like a prequel... Not staring John.. Just during an earlier period that took place during the Civil War.

Yeah, there's no chance in hell that there could be an RDR sequel (you've moved out of the Old West era if you do), but a PREquel is a no-brainer, and could very well feature a younger John Marston. In fact, I've always believed the next step is to create an RDR set during John's outlaw years when he ran with the gang, and focus the game on a group dynamic instead of a solo one. Including emphasis on co-op and multiplayer.

RDR needs to just move away from John and have a brand new protagonist. No prequel or direct sequel to it. Let each game be its own standalone tale

RDR needs to just move away from John and have a brand new protagonist. No prequel or direct sequel to it. Let each game be its own standalone tale
I agree. I loved John and was really interested in his story, both from the game and the stuff we heard about his past, but I think it would be best to do like what they do with the GTA series where there are no real sequels, even though the universe is the same. I mean, isn't that what they did with Red Dead Revolver. I never played it, but wasn't this a type of continuation of that?

I just think it could be cool maybe doing bounty jobs for both the Rebel and Union Army.

I don't care about being John again, I agree that each RD could be its own story... But I've said this before and I will say it again... Leave out the "Redemption." I don't mind being a good guy... In fact I prefer it... However I felt you could never be dastardly in RDR... It just didn't fit the story at all.

There's so much you can do with a Western style GTA game, RDR had some good ideas, but it's not like they have to end it there.

Hell, what's wrong with a game actually focusing on outlaws? Form your own gang.

The fact that RDR took place in the final days of the Old West did give it some themes most Westerns don't have, but it also means we got to miss some classic stuff.

Something just post-Civil War could be a lot of fun.

I thought it would be cool if they did a Red Dead sequel that took place in modern New Austin. The game would take place in the US and Mexico, using the whole drug trade/Mexican cartel situation as a central theme. That would probably be too similar to a GTA game though.

I like the idea of an American Civil War era RDR.

Maybe even earlier, during the gold rush and pioneer days! Imagine starting on the East coast and as you progress through the game guarding your wagon train you gradually open new areas as you head west. Sorta GTA meets Oregon Trail.

Anyway there's plenty of room for another RDR, maybe not a straight up sequel tho.

I'd love them to go back towards the original Red Dead where you play as both a gunslinger and a native american. Great potential both story-wise, character-wise and gameplay-wise.

I thought it would be cool if they did a Red Dead sequel that took place in modern New Austin. The game would take place in the US and Mexico, using the whole drug trade/Mexican cartel situation as a central theme. That would probably be too similar to a GTA game though.

I dig that.

lol...we should probably take this discussion to the Red Dead thread

I like this idea :up::up:

They already did that. *And* even called it "The Cartel."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Juarez:_The_Cartel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"