Gravity - Part 1

So there is no longer version of the film out there right?

Children of Men is a masterpiece. For Gravity, Children of Men, and Little Princess AND also changing the dynamic in the Harry Potter series Alfonso Cuaron deserves the oscars he got.

Amazing work

Dare I say I've always viewed Cuaron to be the stronger director out of his trio of del toro, himself, and Iñárritu (who is good, but he's uneven.)

Dare I say I've always viewed Cuaron to be the stronger director out of his trio of del toro, himself, and Iñárritu (who is good, but he's uneven.)

Cuaron is certainly the most consistent out of three, and his films tend to have better writing, than del Toro's. As much as I love del Toro's films, he does have a certain sense of immaturity when writing and portraying various kinds of relationships, which works great as he often plays to his strengths and tells stories from the perspectives of children, but it can be a bit tiresome when applied to adult characters (There's a lot of people who aren't much for his rending of Hellboy as an eternal teenager, etc). Crimson Peak should be interesting, as del Toro has mentioned that he recognizes a divide in the tone and such between his English and Spanish language works, and hopes to do in English what he has done with his Spanish films in terms of those qualities. Reportedly the film is supposed to be quite sexually focused. Who knows how this will turn out.

Last edited:
Also it had incredibly bland characters/story so they couldn't have gone too much longer. It's paced wonderfully, as soon as you start to get tired Sandra Bullock, the fragments come around Earth again. There's no denying the technical genius of the movie but I found it to be overall really overrated.

Overrated is a meaningless term.

Gravity has been greatly praised.... for exactly the things that made it a quality experience and not much more.

On the Slash Film Pocast, the hosts were talking about how the internet is funny on how they bash Gravity. While a normal person can have issues with the movie and still like it, the internet hones on the flaws to the point where they'll outright dismiss it, despite the achievements of the film. It has flaws, but it's a quality film. Again, it's a studio underdog that proved the system wrong.

As have I. The only Del Toro movie I've ever truly loved was Pan's Labyrinth. Everything else he's done has usually featured some great visuals but has ultimately been hit-and-miss for me, while everything Cuaron has done other than Great Expectations has been pure magic to me. And there are even aspects of that movie I love.

Have you seen del Toro's other Spanish language films?

Have you seen del Toro's other Spanish language films?
I've seen Cronos (only part of it that I was able to catch on IFC), Devil's Backbone, Mimic, Blade II, Pan's, the Hellboys and Pacific Rim.

Glad to see Cuaron pick up an Oscar. I enjoyed Gravity and thought it was a good film, although not quite a Best Picture winner.

His Harry Potter film is the lone stand out in the entire series to me. A large chunk of the later films just became a massive blur to me.

His Harry Potter film is the lone stand out in the entire series to me. A large chunk of the later films just became a massive blur to me.

While I think that Yates did a reasonably fine job with his 4 potter films, you are correct that they are quite indistinct, at least besides the 7th film, the first half of Deathly Hallows. In that film they once again took some more risks.

I do like some of the creative changes done in the 7th movies; I like Harry's dance with Hermone. I like how the Malfoys came off more redeeming and meaningful as they walked away from the final battle.

Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban definitely represents a shift for the whole series though. Whenver they would return to elements from the first two films, they would have to be someone redesigned an reinterpreted to fit with what was established in the 3rd film. The third film really sells a sense of menace and has a lot of really great camera moves in its establishing shots. I've never really considered how much of a calling card certain aspects of those shots were, like long sweeps across the Hogwarts campus grounds, passing through the clock and the focusing on the students as they cross the Hogsmeade bridge. Good stuff.

It's always strange to see director's being awarded over lesser works in their careers , especially someone like Cuaron who has made two tremendous films. Still its always good to see a great filmmaker being recognized for his incredible talent.

Hope he's able to make the movies he wants to make.

I mean, yeah, but it's one of those things I guess. It happens all the time..Hitchcock..Scorsese…

Of course, to me and many people, Cuaron's most defining film is yu tu mama tambien. A flawless film.

i think both Cuaron and Del Toro are on the same level. Del Toro is making more fun movies and the direction needs to fit.
i think Cuaron could direct Pacific Rim and Del Toro could direct gravity.

While I like him, I think Del Toro's filmography is kinda schizophrenic. His Spanish films are intimate, mature and beautifully poetic; his American stuff has been fun..but schlocky. His Hellboy movies are fine (though I wish the tone was more macabre) and Pac Rim is stupid fun, but I think his best english film is Blade 2. Maybe i'm in the minority.

So to me he's all over the place. His imagination is infectious but I just wish he made better American films.

I just saw Children of Men for the first time. That was an incredible experience.

A Little Princess made me cry when I was a 12 year old, I wonder how I would respond to it now?

As for Del Toro, I'll definitely take Blade II over Pacific Rim, Mimic, Hellboy, etc. None of it is as good as Pan's Labyrinth though.

I just saw Children of Men for the first time. That was an incredible experience.

The scene where the civil war stops when the baby starts crying is just... wow. Technically flawless and emotionally powerful. That what film making is all about. I get teary eye every single time i watch that scene and i've seen Children of Men over a dozen times.

I think Pan's Labyrinth is right behind Children of Men though. Amazing film.

Gravity deserved its technical awards and that's it.

Really enjoyed the making of features.

i think both Cuaron and Del Toro are on the same level. Del Toro is making more fun movies and the direction needs to fit.
i think Cuaron could direct Pacific Rim and Del Toro could direct gravity.

Apparently a comment del Toro changed the way Gravity was ultimately directed. I think it was in regards to the music and there originally wasn't going to be one and del Toro outright asked Cuaron why he was so determined to alienate his audience.

While I like him, I think Del Toro's filmography is kinda schizophrenic. His Spanish films are intimate, mature and beautifully poetic; his American stuff has been fun..but schlocky. His Hellboy movies are fine (though I wish the tone was more macabre) and Pac Rim is stupid fun, but I think his best english film is Blade 2. Maybe i'm in the minority.

So to me he's all over the place. His imagination is infectious but I just wish he made better American films.

What I find interesting is that in interviews and things recently GDT has expressed pretty much that exact same comment when taking about his intent to make Crimson peak more like his Spanish work.

I certainly hope so.

the reality is that Del Toro doesnt need hollywood to make a low or mid budget movie. if he wants scale and effects he needs big american studios. thats why IMO his movies are so different.

I still think Children of Men is a better film overall than Gravity, that said Gravity is technically superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"