• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Green Lantern Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, i didnt have watch the movie yet, where i live the movie will come in august.So,i will tell my thoughts:

The movie will close with 150 millions with the markets whats now the movie have been release (US,Asia,Russia,UK and Egypt). With the budget close of 400 millions, the only chance to the movie take a sequel is the other parts of the international markets do 350 millions and have a good sales in Home Video market.With WB doing a last stand for this film with overseas audience (a new trailer will be attached with HP 7.2) and his huge importance for the box office (is the int.mark. what made On Starnge Tides a Billion movie) maybe hepls to the movie been a hit what he not exatcly doesnt in States.

No, Green Lantern was hoped to be the replacement franchise for Harry Potter. Superman is up in the air, though I doubt his fading despite the number of comic book series getting reduced.

It is interesting that SHH's main page features a news item about WB's plans to use DC characters in an effort to build new franchises to replace Potter.

None of the characters mentioned is a superhero.

I wonder how much of that is driven by the disappointing GL numbers? Aside from Batman, WB's track record with superhero films is not good.

To me it makes more sense for WB to focus on trying to launch a non-superhero franchise at this point. Or more book-to-film franchises.

Sgt. Rock is mentioned as a potential film franchise and before you laugh think GI Joe which has become a franchise and is getting a sequel and Captain America which IMO will be the best performing superhero film this summer and an automatic new franchise. I bet the WB suits will follow closely the Cap numbers.

Again, GL may have gotten WB to re-evaluate it's near-term film direction.

Last edited:
Well, i didnt have watch the movie yet, where i live the movie will come in august.So,i will tell my thoughts:

The movie will close with 150 millions with the markets whats now the movie have been release (US,Asia,Russia,UK and Egypt). With the budget close of 400 millions, the only chance to the movie take a sequel is the other parts of the international markets do 350 millions and have a good sales in Home Video market.With WB doing a last stand for this film with overseas audience (a new trailer will be attached with HP 7.2) and his huge importance for the box office (is the int.mark. what made On Starnge Tides a Billion movie) maybe hepls to the movie been a hit what he not exatcly doesnt in States.

At this point I doubt it.

Thursday's numbers for GL - 377K bringing the total to 111.4 million.

Thursday's numbers for GL - 377K bringing the total to 111.4 million.
Plus isn't it losing another 1,000 theaters today, Friday?

Currently at 2,015 theaters.

Looking at a $1.7M weekend projection?

It could still surpass Ghort Rider's numbers at $116M right?

It could if WB decides it wants to push it past GR to save some face.

I mentioned in a previous post that when SR stalled out at 198 million or so and was down to under 500 theatres (this was mid-September 2006 as I recall) WB came in and got it released in dollar theatres - theatre count jumped like 350 as I recall. In a week or two of that SR passed the "save face" 200 million mark.

Once it passed that mark it disappeared from theatres the next weekend. Seems to have been orchestrated by WB so I can't see why they couldn't do the same thing for GL.

They should just remove it entirely and fill it with Potter screenings. That's what I'd do if I was in charge.

Just take this thing out of theaters already.

Surpassing Ghost Rider doesn't mean much considering the film cost almost twice as much to make.

This film is a result of nightmarish proportions for any GL fan.

Which would happen first (if it were possible)?

---

Green Lantern ($111.4M) surpassing Ghost Rider ($115.8M) - just $4.4M short.

Or

Thor ($179.1M) surpassing Wolverine ($179.8M) - just $760K short.

---

Not sure how much screens Thor would loose today. Funny thing though is that it lost 130 two weeks ago, but gained 40 last week. It just needs $760K to tie Wolverine. Plus not sure how many people will see Thor (who haven't seen it), once Captain America comes out.

What I don't get about this Mark Hughes guy is why he doesn't think DC can't just move on to another comic property. That's what Marvel did with the Hulk. The reboot didn't make enough money so they just shelved any sequels and went ahead with Thor and Captain America this summer.

DC can do the same and put out both a Flash and Wonder Women movie in the summer of 2013 with $140 to $150 million budgets just like Thor and CA.

Basically he doesn't care if the GL movie is actually good, as long as it makes a billion dollars, then fans can say "See! It was a good movie!"

But let's be a honest. A Michael Bay directed GL movie will probably have scenes with the military defeating most of the Sinestro Corps on their own.

It could if WB decides it wants to push it past GR to save some face.

I mentioned in a previous post that when SR stalled out at 198 million or so and was down to under 500 theatres (this was mid-September 2006 as I recall) WB came in and got it released in dollar theatres - theatre count jumped like 350 as I recall. In a week or two of that SR passed the "save face" 200 million mark.

Once it passed that mark it disappeared from theatres the next weekend. Seems to have been orchestrated by WB so I can't see why they couldn't do the same thing for GL.

Maybe they'll invent a new way of assessing overall gross.....by counting the bootlegs.

What I don't get about this Mark Hughes guy is why he doesn't think DC can't just move on to another comic property. That's what Marvel did with the Hulk. The reboot didn't make enough money so they just shelved any sequels and went ahead with Thor and Captain America this summer.

DC can do the same and put out both a Flash and Wonder Women movie in the summer of 2013 with $140 to $150 million budgets just like Thor and CA.

Coz WB are notoriously cautious with superheroes. Articles like that Michael Bay one come across as someone who's desperate for the franchise to simply make money as opposed to being good. I think Mark is a good writer but unfortunately he hasn't really attributed GL's failing to the film itself not being very good.

1. Double Negative or Digital Domain.

2. What are you talking about? Pan's labyrinth had Doug Jobes blindly phonetically speaking Spanish in makeup.

If you smellll what I'm cooking???

Just a wee bit of info - Doug didn't learn his Spanish phonetically. He broke down each sentence and learned every nuance and meaning of every word, not only for his own dialogue, but also that of Ivana Baquero.

HM

Friday's estimate for GL - 370K and in 14th place. Should do somewhere over 1 million for the 3 day weekend.

Are people really keeping up with this Box Office take still?

GL numbers just keep looking more and more awful. Nothing new this week.

I guess this will get a quick Home Video Release

who cares if it passes ghost rider its still a bomb! ghost rider budget as 110 million and grossed 116 million domestic! green lantern 200 million budget and around 111 million domestic take so far = dud!:doh:

GhostRider is only getting a low budget sequel because Sony wants to retain the rights, it wasn't very successful either.

Weekend estimate for GL - 1,250,000 - in 14th plac.

I guess he is. Seems like a waste of time doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"