Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
He called it "more of a standalone" in response to its connection to the Avengers. That's different from saying they want to kill off all the leads and have no aspirations toward sequel(s)

Exactly. He was referring to the events having less of an impact on Avengers given it takes place light years away.

I'd like GotG to stay more of its own thing. Certain elements can cross over into the Avengers movies—the Infinity Gauntlet and comes to mind. But I don't want the characters to interweave.

The comics did a good job of staying separate while having those certain elements cross over between the two.
I'd like to see a cosmic-only crossover movie someday with The Inhumans and maybe even the New Universe if Marvel ever uses those comics (...which I wouldn't be surprised will happen some point very soon given some recent events in the comics).

I doubt we'll ever see a true Annihilation wave or War of Kings adaptations...considering Marvel definitely doesn't have the rights to the Shi'Ar and it's up in the air as to whether they have the Kree/Skrulls...even more so the Skrulls.

They have the rights to the Inhuman and the Skrulls, which means having the Sh'iar and Kree is entirely possible.

Well I doubt he would come out and say that even if it was true.
Right and he wouldn't hint at it either. So to jump from Feige saying "it's not as connected to Avengers as the Avengers solo movies are" to an MTV blogger writing a "Will Marvel kill off all the leads in Guardians of the Galaxy?!?" article seems like a little bit of a leap

They have the rights to the Inhuman and the Skrulls, which means them having the Sh'iar and Kree is entirely possible.
Even if they don't they can just use some obscure alien races or make up some new ones and tell the same basic stories

Right and he wouldn't hint at it either. So to jump from Feige saying "it's not as connected to Avengers as the Avengers solo movies are" to an MTV blogger writing a "Will Marvel kill off all the leads in Guardians of the Galaxy?!?" article seems like a little bit of a leap

If they kill off all the lead characters, that would actually...make this Shakespeare... :wow:

Possibly. I happen to like the idea, though. And he did cite precedence in the same comics written by the guys Gunn invited to the studio.

Possibly. I happen to like the idea, though. And he did cite precedence in the same comics written by the guys Gunn invited to the studio.
They died to kill Thanos off, though, as a big dramatic ending to a 5 (?) year run of Marvel cosmic books. They weren't killed off immediately to prop up Thanos for a big appearance in an adjacent Avengers comic, which would have been super hacky

Last edited:
They have the rights to the Inhuman and the Skrulls, which means having the Sh'iar and Kree is entirely possible.
Inhumans are related to the Kree not the Skrulls. I believe they have more of a chance of having the rights to the Kree than the Skrulls.

Inhumans are related to the Kree not the Skrulls. I believe they have more of a chance of having the rights to the Kree than the Skrulls.

Feige already said Marvel has the rights to the Skrulls...Except for the Super-Skrull, because he has powers based on the Fantastic 4.

It's a shame we haven't seem the Skrulls in film yet. I expect to see Skrulls, Kree and Chitauri in background roles.

Even if they don't they can just use some obscure alien races or make up some new ones and tell the same basic stories
Ehhh not really to be honest. It doesn't have the same impact and would really be a confusing mess if they tried to do that. They'd basically have to completely replace decades of comic lore with placeholders, something I don't think Feige wants to do.

Feige already said Marvel has the rights to the Skrulls...Except for the Super-Skrull, because he has powers based on the Fantastic 4.
Quote on that? I only remember him saying that choosing the Chitauri wasn't an issue of rights, not that Marvel had the Skrulls specifically.

They died to kill Thanos off, though, as a big dramatic ending to a 5 (?) year run of Marvel cosmic books. They weren't killed off immediately to prop up Thanos for a big appearance in an adjacent Avengers comic, which would have been super hacky

Eh, it's the MCU and not the comics, but whatever. I'm not so invested as to argue about it until 2014 or anything. It's still my 2nd-most anticipated Phase 2 movie. I just like the idea of a one-off in this case, especially since it could lead into a great A2 appearance from Thanos.

It's a shame we haven't seem the Skrulls in film yet. I expect to see Skrulls, Kree and Chitauri in background roles.

I'd love a Cantina scene in GoTG where we see members of nearly every Marvel alien race. Kree, Skrulls, Chitauri, Rigellians, etc.

Quote on that? I only remember him saying that choosing the Chitauri wasn't an issue of rights, not that Marvel had the Skrulls specifically.

Whedon chose the Chitauri out of desire to have an alien race that wasn't bogged down with history and could be easily disposed of/ used as a simple plot device.

http://liveforfilm.blogspot.com/2009/07/avengers-and-captain-america-could.html

'Will the Skrulls be the villain in The Avengers?' I asked.

Feige gave me one of those looks he's good at giving and just said, 'We do own them.'

Last edited:
Whedon chose the Chitauri out of desire to have an alien race that wasn't bogged down with history and could be easily disposed of/ used as a simple plot device.

http://liveforfilm.blogspot.com/2009/07/avengers-and-captain-america-could.html

'Will the Skrulls be the villain in The Avengers?' I asked.

Feige gave me one of those looks he's good at giving and just said, 'We do own them.'
okay, that's the quote I was talking about. I didn't read the Feige quote that they owned the Skrulls. Well, that's a relief. If they own the Skrulls then they definitely own the Kree.

I'd love to see the Skrulls and Kree in or mentioned in the film. This rights thing can get so confusing.

Nothing contradicting, but after being asked 'Are the rights to the Skrulls with another studios,' in May last year, Feige said:

Yes, Skrulls have a big connection to Fantastic Four. So there are some contractual limitations about who can do what when it comes to Skrulls. Though that is not why we didn’t do Skrulls. There is already enough going on in this movie.

Its just a matter of time until we see the Skrulls.

Nothing contradicting, but after being asked 'Are the rights to the Skrulls with another studios,' in May last year, Feige said:
I remember reading that too. I'm guessing it lies in the same limbo as Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver. I wonder what elements they can't use exactly?

Having all of the Guardians die in this movie would be suicide. I just can't see it doing well with a downer ending like that. People are going to go to this movie expecting q fun Star Wars-esque movie, not one of the Nolan Batfilms

I remember reading that too. I'm guessing it lies in the same limbo as Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver. I wonder what elements they can't use exactly?

Don't ask me to quote chapter & verse on this, because I don't want to go on a google hunt, but I do vaguely recall another interview with Feige where he was asked specifically about it, and said something to the effect that Fox has K'lrt (Super Skrull), because he has the 4's powers; but otherwise, MS can use Skrulls.

Like you said, I expect it's one of those Wanda & Pietro legal limbo-lands where both studios have access to certain parts of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"