Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get that s**t out of here! We don't like their kind round' here. :o

That guy heard something from his sources? So did everyone else in the industry about two months ago, back when it was announced that Justice League was on hold until MoS numbers came in. As for everything else in that article, it amounts to squat. Everybody and their brother has started the rumor of Snyder producing (and maybe directing) Justice League. Every Nolan fanboy has their dreams moistened whenever people mention him in the same breath as Justice League, so sites like CBM and LR are only too happy to say "Well, I heard something about him doing it. Might not come out officially right away though. Stay tuned! Keep coming back to the site! Sign up for my newsletter!"

Bogus.

Oh boy, I sure do love talking about the Internet paparazzi instead of GOTG

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/03/04/guardians-of-the-galaxy-marvel-now/

Just saw this interview with Bendis about his new GOTG series, around the 1:15 mark he mentions that the movie and his book are going to be "very different things" and that they would only be similar "thematically". I might be reaching but sounds like the costumes will be closer to DnA's run rather than the bland Mass Effect looking armor. If this is the case I'll be so relieved.

I already know what he means by thematically. While I was reading GotG 0.1 all I was thinking about is how cinematic the art and storytelling feel...looking forward to seeing that translated on the big screen.

And yeah I think they're going to base the costumes off of the DnA run, with a couple revisions of course. Which is good, Star-Lord looks way too much like a custom Shepard in Bendis' book lol.

I already know what he means by thematically. While I was reading GotG 0.1 all I was thinking about is how cinematic the art and storytelling feel...looking forward to seeing that translated on the big screen.

And yeah I think they're going to base the costumes off of the DnA run, with a couple revisions of course. Which is good, Star-Lord looks way too much like a custom Shepard in Bendis' book lol.

Agreed. Hopefully Bendis doesn't disappoint on this series as much as I hated what he did with the avengers his x-books have been pretty solid as was the .1 issue

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/03/04/guardians-of-the-galaxy-marvel-now/

Just saw this interview with Bendis about his new GOTG series, around the 1:15 mark he mentions that the movie and his book are going to be "very different things" and that they would only be similar "thematically". I might be reaching but sounds like the costumes will be closer to DnA's run rather than the bland Mass Effect looking armor. If this is the case I'll be so relieved.

I certainly hope so.
The only concept art we've seen so far isn't the Mass Effect ripoffs, so that's a good sign.

I just don't understand what MiNiven was thinking when he loaded Gamora down with that armor it's so out of character for her. I mean none of the costumes make sense but I feel it's especially true with Gamora.

My only real concern for the film is that Gunn is going to stick too close to the DnA stuff and neglect what Jim Starlin did with the characters before they became involved with the Annihilation Saga and formed the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Given Marvel and Feige's track record though I am optimistic they will honor the classic stuff.

No Marvel Studios movie to date has followed a comic book story closely. And none will.

No Marvel Studios movie to date has followed a comic book story closely. And none will.
You're missing the point of what I'm saying. I'm talking in the context of an amalgamation. Just because he doesn't do what DnA did completely does not mean he will honor the Jim Starlin stuff well. I'm hoping he does.

You're missing the point of what I'm saying. I'm talking in the context of an amalgamation. Just because he doesn't do what DnA did completely does not mean he will honor the Jim Starlin stuff well. I'm hoping he does.

None of the solo Marvel movies thus far have taken the origin stories of the central heroes from modern interpretations. They've been classically inspired through and through with the exception of Hulk -- but you can easily argue that the Bixby origin is the most popular/well known. Doubt Guardians will be different

None of the solo Marvel movies thus far have taken the origin stories of the central heroes from modern interpretations. They've been classically inspired through and through with the exception of Hulk -- but you can easily argue that the Bixby origin is the most popular/well known. Doubt Guardians will be different
You have no idea what I am talking about...sorry if that sounds a bit rude since it's probably not warranted here as it's just a misunderstanding, but that post you made in the other thread got me heated. >.>

First of all, the Guardians comic did not tell the origin of any of the characters...it told the origin of the team.

What I'm saying when talking about "honoring the Jim Starlin stuff" is the original Thanos storyline he did back in the 60-70s which included the origins of Gamora, Drax, and Thanos and involved Warlock/Magus and the Universal Church of Truth. I'm worried that that storyline will be watered down to the bear essentials (Gamora having been Thanos' adopted daughter in the past and Drax's goal in life being to kill Thanos) and left to the way-side for some kind of pseudo-interpretation of Annihilation. I'm hoping Gunn doesn't do that and decides to base the plot of the film mostly around the Jim Starlin stuff with a bit of DnA for the team actually coming together. I'd say the split should be about 60/40 Starlin/DnA...maybe even 70/30 but I won't go that far just because some people might take objection to it.

I hope that did not sound like a rant. My point is that, if they plan on honoring the comics and doing an amalgamation of the storylines like they usually do, the only way to really do that is by pulling most of the story from Jim Starlin's run and adapting it for a movie, rather than trying some pseudo-Annihilation adaptation with bits and pieces of Starlin's story thrown in...which again tells the entire background for several of the characters in this film.

You have no idea what I am talking about...sorry if that sounds a bit rude since it's probably not warranted here as it's just a misunderstanding, but that post you made in the other thread got me heated. >.>

First of all, the Guardians comic did not tell the origin of any of the characters...it told the origin of the team.

What I'm saying when talking about "honoring the Jim Starlin stuff" is the original Thanos storyline he did back in the 60-70s which included the origins of Gamora, Drax, and Thanos and involved Warlock/Magus and the Universal Church of Truth. I'm worried that that storyline will be watered down to the bear essentials (Gamora having been Thanos' adopted daughter in the past and Drax's goal in life being to kill Thanos) and left to the way-side for some kind of pseudo-interpretation of Annihilation. I'm hoping Gunn doesn't do that and decides to base the plot of the film mostly around the Jim Starlin stuff with a bit of DnA for the team actually coming together. I'd say the split should be about 60/40 Starlin/DnA...maybe even 70/30 but I won't go that far just because some people might take objection to it.

I hope that did not sound like a rant. My point is that, if they plan on honoring the comics and doing an amalgamation of the storylines like they usually do, the only way to really do that is by pulling most of the story from Jim Starlin's run and adapting it for a movie, rather than trying some pseudo-Annihilation adaptation with bits and pieces of Starlin's story thrown in...which again tells the entire background for several of the characters in this film.

And like I said, every film thus far has drawn origins inspiration from the original comics (not modern reboots/retellings), but made elements as unique and original as possible. There's little down the same won't happen with GOTG.

Sounds swell. :up:

Can this get any better? (to answer my own question...in all likelihood, yes :awesome: )

And like I said, every film thus far has drawn origins inspiration from the original comics (not modern reboots/retellings), but made elements as unique and original as possible. There's little down the same won't happen with GOTG.
Yes, I'm counting on that. I made that comment because of people asking James Gunn if he will stay true to DnA's stories and him saying "TRUST ME" and him meeting with DnA. I'm just worried that the focus is completely on DnA's stories when more talk should be about Jim Starlin's run which I've heard no one at Marvel really mention when talking about the film itself.

Nice to get more credence to this, although we've known it for a while.

Yes, I'm counting on that. I made that comment because of people asking James Gunn if he will stay true to DnA's stories and him saying "TRUST ME" and him meeting with DnA. I'm just worried that the focus is completely on DnA's stories when more talk should be about Jim Starlin's run which I've heard no one at Marvel really mention when talking about the film itself.

JMS had a cameo in the Thor movie. Doesn't mean they used his popular Thor run as inspiration. Marvel likes to bring their comics talent into the film fold if for nothing else to give them the experience of being involved with production. Unlike WB/DC.

Nice to get more credence to this, although we've known it for a while.

We haven't known anything, and I'm still not sure we do. People have just been assuming that the Nova corps will be involved.

We haven't known anything, and I'm still not sure we do. People have just been assuming that the Nova corps will be involved.
We've known. There are too many reports and pimping of the character going on right now to deny that the Corps will be in the movie.

They would not just put Nova Corps ships in the background of concept art for ****s and giggles. It's not a coincidence that Nova has his own book again along with the Guardians and Thanos. Numerous rumors and reports have come out about Nova being in the film. The LR article that broke the Guardians news in the first specifically implied Nova would be apart of the film. I see no reason to be skeptical about Nova being in the film, as far as I'm concerned it's a forgone conclusion.

Q: Since the last time we spoke, one of the big things that’s happened in the Marvel universe is that James Gunn has come on to "Guardians of the Galaxy." When can we hear more about that and what should we tell people to expect at this point?
Feige: I don’t know when you’re running all these articles. I would say that I hope that we will have some casting announcements in the next three to four weeks. That would be the next thing you hear about, is the cast. We start filming at the end of June in London.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=101054

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"